Notices

What's for dinner???

Old 11-19-2009, 03:17 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Originally Posted by jahnilee59 View Post
OK guys, I can't resist sharing my pot roast recipe. About 3lbs of bottom round roast with pockets cut in for whole garlic cloves(a lot), placed on top of squash, celery, mushrooms, potatoes and carrots. Sliced onion and pepper on the very top. Cook in crockpot for about 6 hours and enjoy. I'll shut up for a while. John in Oklahoma
Thanks for sharing this, it sounds gorgeous. Im going try this
Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

VC, I use Paula Deen's recipe. She says to serve it with butter, lol, but I serve it with gravy and turkey!

I have been just cooking a turkey breast instead of the whole turkey for the past three years and it is so juicy if you brine it. Anyone do that? I learned it on Alton Brown's show.

Southern Cornbread Stuffing

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Prep Time:30 minInactive Prep Time:--Cook Time:1 hr 20 min Level:Easy Serves:6 to 8 servings

Ingredients

• Cornbread, recipe follows
  • 7 slices oven-dried white bread
  • 1 sleeve saltine crackers
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups celery, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 7 cups chicken stock
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sage (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (optional)
  • 5 eggs, beaten
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine crumbled cornbread, dried white bread slices, and saltines; set aside.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until transparent, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Pour the vegetable mixture over cornbread mixture. Add the stock, mix well, taste, and add salt, pepper to taste, sage, and poultry seasoning. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Reserve 2 heaping tablespoons of this mixture for the giblet gravy. Pour mixture into a greased pan and bake until dressing is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Serve with turkey as a side dish.
Cornbread:

• 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup self-rising flour
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into a greased shallow baking dish. Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Sounds great Banana.......
So when cooking in a crock pot......you don't necessarily have to add any liquid?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

I do add liquid, just be careful and follow the recipe closely, nothing evaporates in a crockpot that I am aware of.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

One of the things I have always looked forward to whenever I take on sobriety is dinner time! Some drugs (narcotics, for instance) result in not eating at all. Others, such as my personal demon, alcohol, may inspire eating, but poor nutrition nonetheless. Often I'll go to a mom & pop style diner to get a serious Southern meal, and it occurs to me that sober people eat all food groups, all the time!

One of my great passions in life is shellfish. However, preparing it requires skill and by the time I got home, I was usually too drunk to do anything but rummage around the freezer for a few of those god-awful frozen White Castle burgers.

Another cool thing about sobriety and real meals is that, over time, your body does wonderful things without a lot of effort save for stuffing your face. It's called "proper nurition," lol. In month three or so of my last sobriety stretch, I noticed my body filling out. It's amazing how addiction completely terrorizes our bodies. Alcohol is even stranger. I've never met a diet that consists of 3,000 liquid calories a day plus greasy convenience food that still results in emaciation. Sad.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love to eat but hate to cook, probably cause I'm so bad at it.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I love to eat but hate to cook, probably cause I'm so bad at it.
Nah. You can do it! Unlike most arts, cooking is something you can do by precisely and patiently following the instructions. Over time you learn what spices you like and how to get a 'feel' for what's too little and too much. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can. Seriously, I used to burn Fruit Loops.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Please not that I'm not suggesting that any of us can become extremely talented professional chefs, as that's an insult to their craft. Merely that we can be "good cooks" with just a bit of study!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

nola, please, please, can I have a White Castle burger, lol. I love White Castle, they remind me of home. Just a bag of those and I'm in heaven, lol.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

My husband just caught a Dolphin (Mahi-Mahi for some) ths morning, and I will do this to it: take a piece of tinfoil, twice as big as the fish, put a little smear of mayo on the botton. Then put the fish, big slab, with any type of fresh veggies, (frozen good also), red peppers, onion, broccolli, califlower, with some terreaky sauce and 1/2 cup of water. Wrap the entire thang up put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then open up tin foil, flip fish then cook for 5 to 10 minutes more till fish falls apart as you pick it up. If you don't like your veggies crunchy, then marrinate or put them in the microwave. Cook some cousous (5 minutes) or some yellow rice before hand an put fish dish ontop. It is healthy and filling. Any questions click on my name and send me a private message and I can answer any questions you have. ENJOY!!!! I know my husband and I will. 1KitGer
Old 11-19-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

That sounds delicious, Kit. I am jealous.

We are having pork chops, green beans and rice a roni.

I have to get to a step meeting tonight and we are eating this right before.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firestorm090 View Post
nola, please, please, can I have a White Castle burger, lol. I love White Castle, they remind me of home. Just a bag of those and I'm in heaven, lol.
LOL...this is true. In my neck of the woods they are "Krystal." I guess I was just saying to myself, "Damnit, I have a bag of fresh seafood that I bought when I was sober for 45 minutes earlier today, and now I'm too drunk to cook anything but microwave burgers."

So yes, they are delicious. I bet the $38 sack of seafood was, too!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Tonight is leftover night (enchiladas, thai food)........but I did make a nice salad. Believe it or not I put potato salad on the bottom of the bowl....the Greeks do that, it is actually good!

I love Mahi-Mahi!!!!! It used to be my favorite fish till I discovered Tilapia. Yum.......
Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Heathen

lasagna, garlic bread, caesar salad and chocolate cake! All from scratch
Old 11-19-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Spaghetti & homemade meatballs here, plus a salad. Just using a jarred marinara sauce, & I'll add some extra spices. Oven meatballs to avoid the stove cleanup.

I agree with nolaspiral, anyone can cook. My old adage is "if you can read, you can cook." Start with the recipe as written and if you make it again add your own spin to it.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

grilled cheese sammich & the last of the 'cabbage slop' - LOL!

(comfort food night)

the bad thing for me is -

I don't get Home from work until almost 1:00am.

so a 'sammich' is actually on ONE piece of bread
and the 'slop bowl' is the small bowl in yer dish set.

and then a halloween leftover chocolate bar.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
mergirl

left over night here as well, as the last two nights I cooked and my house mate "forgot" to mention he wouldn't be eating here. So he is on his own tonight, and i am off to a meeting=)
Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Hee, this thread is cool.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Peanut butter w/crackers......I need to go to the market, lol.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by bananagrrrl View Post
Hee, this thread is cool.
yeah it is... I've been enjoying this immensely.

Ok, so last couple of days for me have been meals on the run at any restaurant I could find that has wifi so I can keep on working.

But tomorrow will be different I have a rack of ribs waiting in the fridge. Tonight I shall rub them with olive oil, paprika, pepper, cayenne, and a little bit of salt. Tomorrow I will fire up the smoker and let them sit in there for a few hours.

Oh, they're St. Louis ribs, not those wussy baby backs

Maybe I'll put some navy beans in the crock pot with molasses and bacon and stuff so I have baked beans tomorrow, too.

Ooo, and some cornbread. I make some mean cornbread.

Maybe a punkin pie, since I have 30-odd pumpkins worth of puree in the freezer.

Or maybe I should instead acknowledge the fact that I am hungry at this moment and go eat something before I plan the cooking of an entire grocery store.

-Goat