Notices

What's for dinner???

Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Im not jogging but I have a good reason - its 9.10pm, pitch dark and the rain is coming down like sheets
But I'll take the extra long walk over the hills tomorrow.

Steve
Old 11-26-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Dinner here on Thanksgiving starts somewhere around noon with finger foods. Out come the deviled eggs, "stuffin' muffins'," veggie platters, pickles & pickled cauliflower & pepper varieties, salsa verde, chips and assorted crackers. We skipped the shrimp this year because dinner-proper was at 3pm to accommodate my elderly mother (by 6pm, she's ready for bed).

Then a 23lb turkey (largest we could find), near-half-gallon of gravy, stuffing, 8lbs of mashed potatoes, candied yams, corn, cranberry sauce, biscuits and rolls. For dessert: two apple pies, two pumpkin pies and one chocolate pie with pecan torte coffee.

We had ten folks. Two more canceled and one had to work, so youngest son & his girlfriend headed out with two very large plates to deliver to the latter. It was the first time I've had all my kids in one place since early in the summer. That alone made it a good day.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 11-27-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Leftovers! Perhaps the best part of Thanksgiving :-D Anybody got any creative ideas for them?

So when I awoke from my tryptophan-induced coma this morning, I did indeed set out for the stores. I had a pretty good shopping trip! I'm not sure I'll do that again though!

Originally Posted by Asta1 View Post
Goat - You always make such great dinners. How did you learn to cook? As for me, pretty much self taught by cookbooks. My mom wasn't much of a cook. My dad, however, was a baker by trade. Always had lots of good fresh baked goods in the house. It's amazing I didn't turn into the size of a house!
Thank you! Baking is my weak point I can make cakes and pies all day, but my bread is always hit-or-miss...

I'm not exactly sure how I learned to cook. I didn't start cooking at all until I got married the first time, and then it was only typical bachelor meals My second wife raved about her own cooking constantly but never wanted to cook. So when the kids came along I started doing most of the cooking, and managed to really **** her off when she realized I was better at cooking than she was. By the time I booted her butt out I had really caught a cooking bug, and I started challenging myself to make "hard stuff." Somewhere along the way I discovered that food is much better and more fun to make if you make it all from scratch.

Funny thing about being of the make-everything-from-scratch mentality is that some folks don't expect food to be made that way. One year I went to a thanksgiving party at my neighbor's house. I was the only person at the party who was not a farmer. I brought a pumpkin pie and an apple pie. I got lots of complements on my apple pie, but my pumpkin pie was sitting next to an obvious canned-pumpkin pumpkin pie. Nobody touched mine... they all went for the canned one

-Goat
Old 11-27-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

I brought a couple of Pumpkin pies & I thought no one would eat them, because I burned them a little on top, but everyone gobbled them up. I was SO nervous being with family members that I had not seen in thirty years, but everything went great. the kids ( who of course, I had never met,) seemed to like me. People I thought would be snotty/hateful to me gave me hugs & told me thet loved me, etc.
I feel like the luckiest/dumbest person on earth.(!)
Old 11-27-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mikefreak View Post
I brought a couple of Pumpkin pies & I thought no one would eat them, because I burned them a little on top, but everyone gobbled them up. I was SO nervous being with family members that I had not seen in thirty years, but everything went great. the kids ( who of course, I had never met,) seemed to like me. People I thought would be snotty/hateful to me gave me hugs & told me thet loved me, etc.
I feel like the luckiest/dumbest person on earth.(!)
thats the nicest post ive read for a while....just lovely.

the truth is not always our perception.......in fact i try to ignore my perception of what others think of me.........because normally its bs.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I survived!! Menu was turkey...which we seasoned and actually cooked it in a bag this year..way moist! Stuffing....regular and gluten-free for me....gravy, reg. and gluten-free, mashed potatoes, petite string beans with sliced almonds, sweet corn, rolls, cranberry dressing, apple pie and pumpkin pie......it turned out quite good and my dude did all the dishes!!

Will probably have turkey clubs for lunch...yum. Might make a turkey pot pie for later........my friend went home with the carcass (eew) to make soup........

Shopping on Black Friday???

No way, I will pay more and keep my sanity........just saying. LOL.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Ah, Vicious, a turkey pot pie is an excellent idea! The pie plates have been getting a free ride lately... time to put them to work!

It's probably time to begin making gift baskets for xmas too... Anybody else do that? I sorta get a bug to make cakes and fudge and stuff in December. Gift baskets set me free to make all I want.

-Goat
Old 11-28-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Goat, I have made gift baskets for presents before. I like to do themes like Italian, coffee lovers, sweet tooth, movies, etc. I think they are a thoughtful idea.

We are getting sick of turkey and dressing around here too, so I am open to any and all ideas. Turkey tetrazzinni (sp?) might be one dish.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  
mergirl

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
the truth is not always our perception.......in fact i try to ignore my perception of what others think of me.........because normally its bs.
thanks for that trucker, I may need it tattooed on my forehead=)

Dinner tonight should be lentil soup, in an attempt to get a handle on my eating again.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
It's probably time to begin making gift baskets for xmas too... Anybody else do that? I sorta get a bug to make cakes and fudge and stuff in December. Gift baskets set me free to make all I want.

-Goat
Don't really make gift "baskets." Usually make a bunch of different kinds of cookies and candies and give them away to neighbors in cookie tins from the Dollar Tree.

Dinner tonight -- leftovers. Not even close to sick of them yet. I didn't pig out on Thursday, nor yesterday. So I still have an appetite for turkey, stuffing and gravy. The only thing that's gone is the broccoli. :-)
Old 11-29-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Making a gluten-free turkey pot pie today.....have a recipe for an outline but plan on improvising somewhat........after that? The rest of the turkey is HISTORY.

Anyone make soup?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

I am making turkey dinner with sweet potatoes, blueberry - banana bread, broccoli, and jello. We had no leftovers and now we will.

Neighbor friend made turkey barley soup. I plan on making soup and definitely turkey pot pie. Would love your recipe.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Here is the recipe I am going to try HL........cannot attest to it but will report in later tonight!

Ginger Lemon Girl: Michael's Best Rustic Chicken Pot Pie (Gluten Free)
Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Last day for leftovers. I'm making turkey "hot browns." Bread, turkey cheese sauce all heated up and melted nice & gooey in the oven. Husband has bee porking out big time on the leftovers. Singlehandedly he has managed to eat all the dark meat and some white plus most of the stuffing since Thursday. And that was as of last nite. Told him he better lay off at least until I make sure I have enough turkey for the hot browns. At least he exercises too, but my gosh, there is too much of a good thing!
Old 11-29-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Asta, show your husband what happens when you continue to pork out............LOL!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

VC -- I LOVE IT!! I hope that's no one you know! Hope everything is OK with you. Before you know it, it will be 4 weeks next Thursday. :-)
Old 11-29-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Ok, after seeing that, I may have to pass on the pie I was gonna have!

(Nahhhh....)
Old 11-29-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by Horselover View Post
Neighbor friend made turkey barley soup. I plan on making soup and definitely turkey pot pie. Would love your recipe.
You can have the one I made...

I always have to look up the amounts for the pie crusts - 2&1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cups shortening, 1/4 tsp salt, enough water to make it stick together

I chopped up leftover turkey into small chunks, added two large potatoes worth of diced boiled potatoes, half a bag of frozen peas and all the leftover turkey gravy and some salt, and mixed it all up. I put that into the pie shell and put the top crust on and baked it at 350 until the crust was a nice color (I think it was about 45 minutes).

It was delicious

-Goat
Old 11-29-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Heaven's no Asta..........got the picture off the internet........LOL.

HorseL.........I liked the recipe although I added alot of spices to the "roux".........I also would double the liquid stuff as I added potatoes and extra veggies......it seemed a bit on the dry side.........but all in all not bad........I will make more of the liquid stuff tomorrow and add to it.........alot of work to use up turkey I must say!!!!!!!!!!! Gluten-free crust was ok.......next time I would grease the pan for the bottom one.......first time recipe.........lots of adjustments for the next time but worth it. Your way sounds so much easier Goat!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

chicken broth.

I've been sick the last few days.