View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 05:14 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  
bananagrrrl

VC, I use Paula Deen's recipe. She says to serve it with butter, lol, but I serve it with gravy and turkey!

I have been just cooking a turkey breast instead of the whole turkey for the past three years and it is so juicy if you brine it. Anyone do that? I learned it on Alton Brown's show.

Southern Cornbread Stuffing

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Prep Time:30 minInactive Prep Time:--Cook Time:1 hr 20 min Level:Easy Serves:6 to 8 servings

Ingredients

• Cornbread, recipe follows
  • 7 slices oven-dried white bread
  • 1 sleeve saltine crackers
  • 8 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups celery, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 7 cups chicken stock
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon sage (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (optional)
  • 5 eggs, beaten
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine crumbled cornbread, dried white bread slices, and saltines; set aside.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the celery and onion and cook until transparent, approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Pour the vegetable mixture over cornbread mixture. Add the stock, mix well, taste, and add salt, pepper to taste, sage, and poultry seasoning. Add beaten eggs and mix well. Reserve 2 heaping tablespoons of this mixture for the giblet gravy. Pour mixture into a greased pan and bake until dressing is cooked through, about 45 minutes. Serve with turkey as a side dish.
Cornbread:

• 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup self-rising flour
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Pour batter into a greased shallow baking dish. Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.