Notices

Class of July 2008 Part II

Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Administrator

yep the serial killer voices are way different

I started as a binge drinker too...ended up drinking all day every day.

It was the 'oh well I'm not as bad as him' or the 'I feel fine now, so how much damage could I be doing?" or the 'just one night and I can start again tomorrow/next week/Monday' thoughts that took me from one to the other.

Keep focused

D
Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I went from binger to everyday and back to binger, it is weird knowing you can go 2 weeks without drinking as a binger (my limit), it makes it easy for your mind to play games with you....as Jules was saying.

Going two weeks not drinking and knowing you are not allowed the binge changes the whole dynamic though, suddenly going two weeks feels like an achievement.

Basically though, there isn't much difference. Just do it one day at a time.

Bingers are just as much alcoholics as daily drinkers, just like those who keep their jobs are just as much alkies as those who lose everything...it's all still alcoholism....
Old 08-01-2008, 12:55 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joinedintime View Post
Is it way different to quit for binge drinkers like me than for people that got drunk every day? Anyone have a good link to anything about that question? Or any advice/experience?
I am not sure I would be classed as really and I don't think it makes much difference in the long run. When I was controlling my drinking I would drink everyday, all that controlling meant to me was drinking enough to get a buzz but not enough to wipe me out the next day, the only way I could do that, was to monitor how much I bought and only have that much in the house. I wouldn't have been able to stop if it was just sitting there. Then maybe a couple of times a week I would end out going out to buy more and bringe to excess ending in a blackout. I would feel so bad the next day I wouldn't/couldn't drink for maybe 1 or 2 days. Then when I was feeling better I would start again, I never went more than 3 days usually.

Personally I think that once the initial detox is over it is probably not much difference for bingers or everdayers. The underlying urge to drink would be there for either and once you add alcohol to the body all the craves and old thought patterns return. Thats just my opinion though.

Anyway day 29 for me today, yesterday was pretty crappy to say the least. I was thinking about buying some St John's Wort to see if that lifts my spirits at all, has anybody taken it before, did it help? I took it last year for a while but I thought it was giving me heart problems, duh, I think maybe it was the alcohol doing that lol!

Also I thought as it's the 1st today, maybe we should have some kind of register, make sure we are all present and accouted for? Just a thought.

Sax.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:08 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I don't have much time but saxony-I took st johns wort tea and it made my heart race!Not sure why-but it did.I'd stopped drinking by then and thought it might help with depression?But physically?It wasn't so great.But that was just me.Maybe try it again?I take a herbal tea with ginseng and it helps me feel more 'awake' but had to give St john's wort a miss.It may be different for you though and god knows I'm not a doctor/expert.

Julesxox
Old 08-01-2008, 01:25 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Thanks Jules, maybe I'll give it a miss then. That was the kind of thing that happened last time, kinda felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Alcohol did it too, so I thought maybe it was just that alone. I don't think I will bother, I still have slight anxiety some days and I don't want to make that worse. I'll just let nature take its course in it's own time.

Sax
Old 08-01-2008, 04:33 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Top of day 19 here ~ Congrats of making it out of the 'teenage days' Mikey, and a happy August too all

I have a party i am going to tomorrow to tomorrow night, but not at all worried about not taking a drink for once. what a relief!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:03 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Morning -

Day 46 for me. I feel really good today I am happy and want to laugh this is great!!!

As for me I am a binge drinker. I never drank all day everyday. But I know that is just a yet for this alcoholic. In the long run I knew I would someday become what my disease wanted me to become. So instead of letting it take me on a ride forever I am trying to what is best for me... NOT DRINK...

When I look back at my binges. I know I drank too much when I drank, I know if there was more alcohol i would continue to drink until I either passed out or vomitted, I know I would not do things I normally did sober and I know I lost a few important things. That was enough for me.. And I can see the way my mind still works.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Woke up on day 19 feeling sort of crappy and depressed. No matter what, I won't drink over it!

love and hugs to all!!

:ghug3
Old 08-01-2008, 06:38 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Least - I am proud of you for making it to day 19. So sorry you're feeling crappy. :ghug3
Old 08-01-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Good Morning all, Day 10! Double digits for the first time in 8 months. Glad to see everyone is still here and sharing. Keep it up everyone.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cmhcali View Post
Morning -

Day 46 for me. I feel really good today I am happy and want to laugh this is great!!!

As for me I am a binge drinker. I never drank all day everyday. But I know that is just a yet for this alcoholic. In the long run I knew I would someday become what my disease wanted me to become. So instead of letting it take me on a ride forever I am trying to what is best for me... NOT DRINK...

When I look back at my binges. I know I drank too much when I drank, I know if there was more alcohol i would continue to drink until I either passed out or vomitted, I know I would not do things I normally did sober and I know I lost a few important things. That was enough for me.. And I can see the way my mind still works.
Congrats on 46 days. Thats awesome. Drugs were my final downfall. 20 days off dope, 13 years off alcohol. Back in my drinking days I only drank when I was by myself or with someone else. I drank every day. And I always drank until it was all gone or I passed out. Getting sick only made room for more. Am I an Alcohlic? Oh yeah. I known that for years. I start drinking I cant stop. And I do stupid stuff when Im drunk. I just dont know how I forgot I was an addict last September when I relapsed? Maybe I didnt forget? Perhaps I just stopped caring? I've known Im an addict for years. I guess like they say..... More will be revealed. At 20 days my mind is still pretty clouded. But.................. I do feel much better than I felt 20 days ago. The last 20 days have been quite a ride. Ups and downs. I stay as busy as I can. 1 -2 AA meetings per day, and I work as many hours as I can. I spend time with friends, talk to my Sponsor (several times a day) poor guy and hang out with people in recovery. So, here I am on day 20. Congradulations to all of you who woke up clean and sober for another day.
Originally Posted by least View Post
Woke up on day 19 feeling sort of crappy and depressed. No matter what, I won't drink over it!

love and hugs to all!!
I can relate. I have my moments too. I just keep moving along. I dont wanna go to work today, but I will. Congrats on 19 days.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:54 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Day 11- I never thought I'd make it this far. Work and school are going fine. I'm too tired when I come home to even think of drinking-never thought I'd say that. Slept through the whole night last night for the first time. I feel like the thyroid medication and Prozac I started taking again is starting to work. It never helped when I was drinking. DUH. Yo Mikie! Put me in the winning class of July! I just might make it this time. Sobriety date July 22.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
Least - I am proud of you for making it to day 19. So sorry you're feeling crappy.
Good morning Stone. Oh, stupid me.... I mean Suzette. How ya doin?
Originally Posted by IkeClancy View Post
Good Morning all, Day 10! Double digits for the first time in 8 months. Glad to see everyone is still here and sharing. Keep it up everyone.
Congrats on 10 days. I can still remember hitting the double digit days myself. Seems like it was just 10 days ago.
Originally Posted by WishIWasNormal View Post
Day 11- I never thought I'd make it this far. Work and school are going fine. I'm too tired when I come home to even think of drinking-never thought I'd say that. Slept through the whole night last night for the first time. I feel like the thyroid medication and Prozac I started taking again is starting to work. It never helped when I was drinking. DUH. Yo Mikie! Put me in the winning class of July! I just might make it this time. Sobriety date July 22.
Day 11 is awesome dude. One day was a big deal for me. Balancing work and school is quite a feat. Are you doing any meetings too? Anyway, glad your here. I will ad you to our list.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Class of July 2008 "Now I know my life has meaning"
* JigOfLife 7/1/08
* rurdy2rk 7/4/08
* Saxony 7/4/08
* bruce24 7/7/08
* PaperDolls 7/7/08
* Jules62 7/7/08
* Jackie36 7/9/08
* felly79 7/10/08
* pinkbecca88 7/12/08
* SoosieQ 7/12/08
* dancinggirl 7/13/08
* ruch 7/13/08
* Chance 7/13/08
* Time2Surrender 7/13/08
* joinedintime 7/13/08
* Jig 7/14/08
* least 7/14/08
* sobergirl77 7/14/08
* redshift 7/14/08
* Dreamchaser 7/15/08
* exbartender 7/16/08
* flgirl 7/17/08
* Eidetic 7/17/08
* jarkness 7/18/08
* Puddy 7/19/08
* jacki3 7/20/08
* Stone 7/20/08
* Girtiegirl 7/20/08
* toooldfratguy 7/20/08
* 100ggs 7/20/08
* winwin 7/22/08
* whattyawantmeto 7/23/08
* Krissy41 7/23/08
* HideorSeek 7/23/08
* IkeClancy 7/23/08
* Adamaman 7/24/08
* BreakFree 7/25/08
* nayster 7/26/08
* faith08
* nobingealready 7/28/08
* WishIWasNormal 7/22/08
Honorary Members

* Toomutch 2/24/08
* Horselover 5/13/08
* SlvrMag June 2008
* cmhcali 6/17/08
* austingemini 6/28/08
* LosingmyMisery July 2004
* Jeeplady
Old 08-01-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Mikey! Did anyone ever tell you that your a brat???? Thanks for keeping things fun.

Congratulations on 20 days. :ghug3
Old 08-01-2008, 08:10 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I still havent drank and Im hanging in there as best I can. The positivity on this thread is just great Lets keep our July quit dates forever!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Its finally August and I we wiil be celebrating a lot of 30 days clean and sober this month. I guess pretty much everyday. Now, this threads really going to get rolling. OK, so JigOfLife had 30 days yesterday but I think Jig was going more for one month to the date. So, Congradulations on one month JigOfLife. 3
Old 08-01-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
Hi everyone, I still havent drank and Im hanging in there as best I can. The positivity on this thread is just great Lets keep our July quit dates forever!
I know Im keeping mine. It will be intresting to see if a "Class of August" thread starts? Either way, Im staying here with you guys. Im keeping my 7/13/08 clean date.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hey least and redshift, my fellow 19-dayers... :ghug2

Congrats to everyone else that is managing to stay sober! I'd also like to keep my July 14th quit day permanently.

I woke up this morning on Day 19 feeling feeling pretty good except for this darn lingering tension headache (that starts in my neck) that has been plaguing me ALL WEEK. I'm exercising daily so I don't know why it keeps bugging me, but oh well, hopefully it'll go away soon!

Yesterday was a weird day emotionally - I was all over the place, up and down. The mental obsession tried to kick my butt yesterday and darn it, I wasn't having any of it.

I figure if I've made it this far (only by the Grace of God), I may as well keep going...!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Thanks to all that responded to my "is it different for binge drinkers to quit" post. It helped to get all your support.

Nice to make it out of July sober with a group like this....I never would have thought this kind of team support was out there like this and that I would find it. Ready for day 20.

Hey, Wishiwasnormal, glad to hear the thyroid med is working.
Time2surrender, thanks again for getting us together.