Notices

Class of July 2008 Part II

Old 07-31-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

So Cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Hey, Suzette!!! Do these guys look familiar?
Who me?

Anyhoo.....quick check-in....gym was good, I didn't over-do it and I enjoyed it.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting my dogs Mikey - I just love them soooo much.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Stone, you just can't put us in the same room without Mikey getting us confused.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Good morning! So I'm going to start walk/running again. I'm going to sign up for a 5K run on Labor Day and just finished scheduling my walk/runs into my planner. It's a condensed version of the Couch to 5K program. I'm not a complete couch potato so I'm up for the challenge.

Plus I need something to focus on during the next month to make the time go quickly and take my mind off alcohol. Bonus would be burning off some of my vodka & whiskey pounds.

I'm pumped to do this so hopefully I can keep my enthusiasm going during the next month.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Toomutch View Post
Stone, you just can't put us in the same room without Mikey getting us confused.
Yep!

That sounds great Nayster!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There's a thread way back in Newcomers about how to post pix. Step by step instructions. If I can do it, technodummy that I am, I'm sure anyone else can too.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

LOL Actually I started to make a smart a$$ comment when I posted the pics of the Dogs.
Originally Posted by nayster View Post
Good morning! So I'm going to start walk/running again. I'm going to sign up for a 5K run on Labor Day and just finished scheduling my walk/runs into my planner. It's a condensed version of the Couch to 5K program. I'm not a complete couch potato so I'm up for the challenge.

Plus I need something to focus on during the next month to make the time go quickly and take my mind off alcohol. Bonus would be burning off some of my vodka & whiskey pounds.

I'm pumped to do this so hopefully I can keep my enthusiasm going during the next month.
Right on. Keep us posted.
Originally Posted by least View Post
There's a thread way back in Newcomers about how to post pix. Step by step instructions. If I can do it, technodummy that I am, I'm sure anyone else can too.
Good morning least. Well, you guys have a good day. Its 9:30 and I have a house to paint. I guess its not going to paint itself so I better get rolling.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Too mad for rebutal.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:02 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Code:
LOL Actually I started to make a smart a$$ comment when I posted the pics of the Dogs.
And what might that have been Mikey?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone! :)

Jules...I love dogs, but my absolute favorite is Golden Retrievers! I LOVE them! I grew up with Goldens so I'm sure that is why they have such a special place in my heart...Thanks so much for sharing the video...it was so sweet!

T2S...Your little man is awesome! I love how he was looking out the window and then playing in the sprinkler...What a personality! :)

Suzette...Your pups are so sweet! Those eyes! I love your pics...I'm going to have to learn how to link pics too! :)

Nayster...That is SOOOO awesome that you have decided to begin your running program! I fournd a Beginner's training program from Runner's World. It starts with training intervals and after 10 weeks, I should be able to run for 20 minutes straight. WHOO-HOO!

We are getting some MAJOR thunderboomers so I'd better log off until it passes! I hope you are all having a WONDERFUL day and congrats to so many of you on your progress! :)

~M
Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Code:
And what might that have been Mikey?
I was going to call you Stone.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

very true

Originally Posted by exbartender View Post
STONE, I am working through a 4 page list of those "little things" now, and a few not so little...LOL! I can relate!

And I've been easing back into exercise as well...I don't want to push the ticker too hard right now. Just the fact that you can make it to the gym regularly is a good accomplishment in self-discipline. Don't wimp out...you'll feel better after a good workout. And you'll sleep better too

I agree completely stone and exbartender--it's funny how when you drink, the things that matter just fall to the wayside. How when you are sober you can accomplish so much, and you do things like, um, take care of yourself, and when you drink you don't. For me the other thing I do during (and especially the day after) drinking is eating badly. When hungover I will load up on junk food all day and tell myself it's just for that day because I feel crummy. How stupid is that?!?!? Ok so I'll just say that today is day 4 and am still eating junk food ahahha but I guess the difference is is that I am sober, and will be making a plan to return to exercise and healthier food. the junk food's almost gone anyway so, just don't buy anymore as they say.

Today went a little rougher emotionally, I was very tearful when driving to work. also when driving home. I guess I forget how the emotions will once again surface...here are some of the things my small voice was saying in my head: "why did you go and do this to yourself, say you were gonna quit drinking completely? What about when you get to go camping later this summer and you always like to have a few beers when you are camping? What about the annual halloween party at so n so's house where so n so will have all the homemade beer and wine they made and will expect you to try some? What about a few years from now when you plan (dream) to go to Europe and go hiking across Norway, aren't you gonna want to have a beer after the big hike? Dont you wanna go check out some pubs and drink beer? What about the concert you are supposed to go to next weekend?" and on and on and on...my heart beat faster and my hands were sweating and I felt this overwhelming urge to just give up this vow. But I knew I had to stop and think (think it through), which went like this:
1. I get ready to go to the concert, so I gotta have beer before the concert,
2. Drink a beer or two, then leave and go to eat, where
3. Continue to drink beer or maybe wine with dinner, then more after dinner and then
4. Get to concert at nightclub, where i commence to drink yet more beer
5. by this time I am feeling pretty buzzed so now I want to work on maybe having a shot or two, and then
6. pretty drunk by the time the band I like actually comes on, and then
7. I am injured in some way by falling/staggering around up front at the show
8. I continue to drink and drink till the wee hours of the morning, until
9. I pass out, wake up (too early, cant' even sleep in anymore the hangover wakes me up) feeling HORRIFIC with shakes, headache, weakness, sickness, problems with my vision, and the "best" part of all,
10. I really don't remember the concert (which was, DUH, the whole point of the night!)

Now that I have re-read that, it sure does help! that "Think it through" slogan is a good one! but also so is one day at a time. That is one I need to think about when i get the urge to think about "what about when ---", as you could see from my small voice talking earlier, I was projecting into the future. And I need to instead focus on today, just for today, and even, just for right now this minute! Thinking way ahead about those things, well, gets ya into trouble! However, I'll be writing in before this concert next weekend ( if I even go) for ideas on how to get through...

Well everyone today is the last day of July, it is a good month that will be missed (in part) but happily remembered in my mind as the month I made up my mind to quit.
I hope everyone is doing well today. and if not, remember that this too shall pass (guess I am just full of slogans today... =) and no amount of booze will make it pass faster or easier or better. Remember why you came here. You are worth it!! In sober solidarity, nobingealready
Old 07-31-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Glad some of you enjoyed the dog videos! Thanks

BreakFree-I have always had dogs from animal shelters till I got Merlin.I've always been fond of retrievers and well-I'm biased about them now-LOL

nobingealready-great job on 'playing the tape through' as we sometimes say here.It really helps me to do this also-especially when I start glorifying the idea of drinking.the picture my alcoholic mind presents to me is not at all the reality when I drink.and like you-I never remember what happened the night before either.Insane!

I'm struggling a bit today with physical pain.I've done something to my back and of course one of my first thoughts was 'a drink would numb some of this-it used to work' God it amazes me how quickly my mind will go there sometimes as a solution?LOL.It won't fix anything and I know it.Crazy thinking-but it helps to post here and get it out of my head.Thanks.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Coming to the end of day 18 and so happy to have made it despite having horrible cravings - not just to drink, but to get drunk - the day didn't go too badly.

Hang in there, everybody! It does get better, I just don't know when that will happen.

:ghug
Old 07-31-2008, 07:25 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

There are so many dog lovers on here. I love my little men. They are my best friends. I could not live with out them. As we speak my littlest Linus is scouring the couch for crumbs (hate to break the news to him that there are none).

I will have to download that photo bucket thing to post of few of the boys!!!!

Getting ready to go to bed sober on day 45!!!!!!!!!!! Had a good meeting tonight with my sponsor. Things are good today!!!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Well, day 19 is coming to an end. Last day of being a Teenager. Tommorow will be day 20. Good night my friends.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Your gettin' OLD!!!! Congrats and 'see' ya' tomorrow!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

The end of day 19 here for me in the Pacific timezone. I've had it pretty easy so far... maybe too easy. Today I looked at the cold beer in the fridge (explain that in a minute) and it looked good to me. I also had some thoughts later in the day about how easy it's been and maybe I don't really have such a bad problem. You know, how bad could my problem be if it's been this easy for close to 3 weeks? Forever is a long time - what was I thinking saying I'm quiting instead of taking and extended break?

I can hear you out there reading this saying "one day a time" not "forever". I know. You're right. So I made it through the day. Came here and read a page of posts. Feeling stronger now. I didn't drink today and I won't drink on day 20 either.

Is it way different to quit for binge drinkers like me than for people that got drunk every day? Anyone have a good link to anything about that question? Or any advice/experience?

Ok, about the cold beer in the fridge: When I got home from my last drunk which was also my first blackout, there were 6 beers in the fridge. They are still there as a reminder of that night and how bad it was for me and my relationship with my wife. After all, I live across the street from a liquor store so it's not like I'm gonna be able to hide from it. It's there front and center in the fridge to remind me.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:15 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Is it way different to quit for binge drinkers like me than for people that got drunk every day? Anyone have a good link to anything about that question? Or any advice/experience?
I went from binges to drinking every day so I'm not sure I'm the person you need to talk to, but I have some idea.

That said-I think you're listening to the lies.I know them too 'You've been sober 3 weeks now-you can handle this!You can probably drink occassionally and be fine!'.....it goes on and on and its bull sh*t.

I know I can't.So do you.You wouldn't be here otherwise.This is simply your alkie mind trying to drag you back.My worst times are when I'm doing well.I'm happy, no hangovers, have energy.....and wham!The voices start(no not the serial killer ones-lol) but the alkie 'You don't really have a problem-you just drank a bit too much once-or a few times'.....

Don't give in to it and know you deserve better.They often say alcoholisim is baffling, powerful and PATIENT-and it's the patient part that gets us sometimes.It waits.It wants you.And it doesnt care about all you love.It will kill you if you let it-and destroy everything around you that you hold dear.

Stay strong,

Julesxox