Notices

Class of July 2008 Part II

Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Class of July 2008 Part II

Welcome everyone. This is Part II of "Class of July 2008" A group of folks who all got clean and sober in July of 2008. All are welcome. Here is a link to Part I http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2008-club.html And below is a list of members that just keeps growing. So, come on in and say hi. Class of July 2008 "Now I know my life has meaning"
  • Time2Surrender 7/13/08
  • Dreamchaser 7/15/08
  • jacki3 7/20/08
  • Saxony 7/4/08
  • Stone 7/20/08
  • HideorSeek 7/23/08
  • dancinggirl 7/13/08
  • least 7/14/08
  • felly79 7/10/08
  • Jackie36 7/9/08
  • pinkbecca88 7/12/08
  • ruch 7/13/08
  • PaperDolls 7/7/08
  • redshift 7/14/08
  • 100ggs 7/20/08
  • flgirl 7/17/08
  • bruce24 7/7/08
  • toooldfratguy 7/20/08
  • jarkness 7/18/08
  • sobergirl77 7/14/08
  • Girtiegirl 7/20/08
  • exbartender 7/16/08
  • winwin 7/22/08
  • Puddy 7/19/08
  • Krissy41 7/23/08
  • Jig 7/14/08
  • SoosieQ 7/12/08
  • Adamaman 7/24/08
  • whattyawantmeto 7/23/08
  • Chance 7/13/08
  • Eidetic 7/17/08
  • Jules62 7/7/08
  • BreakFree 7/25/08
  • joinedintime 7/13/08
  • IkeClancy 7/23/08
  • nayster 7/26/08
  • rurdy2rk 7/4/08
  • faith08
  • JigOfLife 7/1/08
  • nobingealready 7/28/08
Honorary Members
  • Horselover 5/13/08
  • austingemini 6/28/08
  • LosingmyMisery July 2004
  • Jeeplady
  • SlvrMag June 2008
  • cmhcali 6/17/08
  • Toomutch 2/24/08
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eJTXb_yqpfc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eJTXb_yqpfc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 07-29-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Part 2 already!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 17 ! So happy!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dancinggirl View Post
Day 17 ! So happy!
Yes it is!!!! I gotta run guys. I hired a guy to help me do the grunt work on the house Im painting. He's at the bus stop waiting on me right now and here I am at SoberRecovery. Have a great day everyone.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Later Mikey.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 10

No sleep meds, no antidepressants, no painkillers, no drugs, no alcohol. Approaching freedom...

Glad to be in this Class
Old 07-29-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Day 52 for me! I am about to ride my bike across town-been a while since I rode a bike, hope I make it!! Have a great day everyone!!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Threads that need "Part 2's" Rock!

Day 21 for me.

Keep up the hard work folks.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey stone - did you put up the new avatar to avoid being called a woman's name again? Don't worry, I can read the testosterone in your posts! Sorry, had to give you a hard time because that was really funny.

Congrats to everyone in this class. I'm only on Day 4 and I greatly under-estimated the power I let alcohol have in my life. Today is a struggle again. I actually poured myself a drink....but then poured it down the drain. (Why there is even alcohol in my house is another long story about my hubby. He's not a problem drinker and for some reason either doesn't recognize or denies my problem binge drinking.)

Soooooo anyway. Jealous of those in double-digit days. I'll get there eventually.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

nayster, congratulations on day 4! Glad you have the strength to pour it out, maybe you should pour ALL the alcohol down the drain!!!!!

Stay Strong!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SULLYP - JULY 13th -
wow this is great! I didn't think I would get this far.... ;-) can you say "HAPPY".. life is great today..
Old 07-29-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

nayster- I also am having a bad Day 4 but I am convinced that I can make it. SOOO glad that you poured the drink down the drain. That was a big step.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlvrMag View Post
nayster, congratulations on day 4! Glad you have the strength to pour it out, maybe you should pour ALL the alcohol down the drain!!!!!
I've done that before and then my dear husband was ticked off that I did. Maybe I should try talking to him again....but be prepared for the usual brush off of, "You don't have a problem."
Maybe he's afraid he won't be able to drink again if I stay sober?
Old 07-29-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jules and everyone else I know exactly how you feel. I feel so empty everyday. I feel it is due to a couple of things. I have had a lot of major change over the past couple of months and I am just not sure how to settle in without drinking.

Over the last 4 months I have

1) Quit a job
2) Got a new job
3) Ended a long term relationship
4) Took on a ton of volunteer responsibility (maybe too much)
5) Lost my license
6) Quit Drinking
7) Started going to meetings
8) Got a sponsor
9) Will be starting my step writing soon

Now notice through all of this. I am not doing anything fun for myself. I do not know how to have fun!!! Fun to me was being at the bars; laughing drinking dancing (eventually falling over and blacking out)... It is sad but when I look through my 20's and think what were the best times. They all involve drinking (except time with my ex who I lost to drinking). I will be 30 in November and I just feel I should be doing so much more and it makes me feel nothing. I hate feeling empty.

I am not even attracted to any men. I often wonder if I will ever want to date again... Will I be alone forever. I cannot pin point anyone that I am remotely attracted to which is weird for me. It is like I feel nothing. Maybe I am afraid to feel because if I let it out I would explode...

Ok enough Day 43 here..... Hopefully it gets easier...
hey cmhcali
thought I'd cut and paste you from the old thread cos you seem to have gotten kinda lost in the heady excitement of part two...

When I started recovery I remember looking back at my 30s in much the same way as you do with your 20s...everything was related to drinking....I was either missing the fun or regretting the waste of time, depending on my mood.

I drank for 15 years - first binges and then eventually all day.

I wanted to build a happy and good new life. NOW. LOL.

The quick answer is...I discovered it takes time.

We spent a lot of years drinking...it makes sense to me we have to spend a bit of time recovering - first readjusting to being sober, and then learning how to live that way.

I'm 16 months - life is fun again, and I enjoy it for the first time in years. I'm in the best relationship of my life, and I know that's at least partly due to the fact that I've put the time into my recovery and I like who I am (for the first time ever) - that shows I think.

Patience isn't the alkie's strongpoint LOL. You're not alone on what you feel - it's normal...but have faith that this new way of life will bring dividends - cos it really does - I'm proof

D
Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile wow, thanks everyone!

Hello everyone, still trying to understand how to navigate the site and respond to my previous post, but I think the thread is closed? anyway, thank you everyone so much for your warm welcomes and it is great to learn there is such a big community of people out there who are trying to do the same thing.

Nayster I agree it is definitely like learning to live all over again. I have lived w alcohol for so long now. I really believe that since I started so young (about 13/14 yrs old) that it was a part of my whole social development, and that it obviously impaired that development so I didn't really learn back then what the other kids were learning (e.g., that to have fun you do things like, uh, join in various sports, you play board games/video games, you go hiking/camping/fishing/mountain biking, etc etc--course that's if you are lucky enough to have a family who wants to do those things w you and not sit around and drink themselves, which was the case for me unfortunately) It has only been since about my mid to later 20's that I actually started doing other recreational activities. But even that has not stopped me from drinking.
Today is day TWO and I feel a bit better than yesterday, but still kinda foggy.
Um, I notice I am writing a lot compared to other people =) is that alright? Or should I be in/start a "for those with a LOT to say" thread? =)

anyway thanks again everyone for your welcoming messages.
Just for today I will not drink. I think I can handle that!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Still sober at 16 days! But BOY OH BOY would I ever like to get plastered and forget I exist!!! THis has been the worst day of a long line of 'worst days' in the last six months. Everything that could possibly go wrong has gone wrong - EXCEPT I'm not drinking over it. Too damn stubborn to go back to day one.

So for me, staying sober today is the ONE (biggest) thing I've done right or that has gone right.

The damn demon was yelling in my ear that it could make me forget all my troubles, but the amount I'd have to drink to forget them all would be enough to kill me... and I'm not ready to buy the farm just yet.

I can't wait to get to the end of this horrible day, but I will not drink today! I WILL NOT!!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

These are my two biggest reasons to stay sober. I thank God for them every day and night. I will stay sober for my own well being, but also to be the best Dog Mom I can be. God entrusted me with their lifetime care and it's my favorite responsibility. All the rest of you dog lovers know just what I mean!

I can't believe that a technodummy like me actually did this right the first time! I guess you CAN teach some old dogs new tricks after all!
Old 07-29-2008, 02:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Back behind bars.

Cool

Originally Posted by nobingealready View Post

Um, I notice I am writing a lot compared to other people =) is that alright? Or should I be in/start a "for those with a LOT to say" thread? =)
nobingealready, I say write away, get those feelings out...vent, rant, go off on a tirade! I've only been here 2 weeks, but this seems to be as safe a place as any to just "let it out". I know I was writing more when I first joined, but much of that was late at night, when the anxiety and cravings were robbing me of sleep.

Last night I had a great night of sleep, the first really good one since I stopped drinking as a sedative. Day 14, here, and feeling good. My head is clearer, productivity is way up, I've saved money, and I've started exercising again.

Yippee kai yay!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

aw least, sorry to hear it's such a rotten day for you. But I am so insanely proud of you for not taking a drink!! I hope to be as strong as you when facing days like that. :

nobingealready - post away!! although I may not have a lot to say somedays, it really helps reading other posts. So you're helping yourself by working through emotions and thoughts....and you're potentially helping others by inspiring or reminding them why they're sober.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by exbartender View Post
Last night I had a great night of sleep, the first really good one since I stopped drinking as a sedative. Day 14, here, and feeling good. My head is clearer, productivity is way up, I've saved money, and I've started exercising again.

Yippee kai yay!
Oh winwin! Did you read this? We may not get good sleep for another 10 days! But that's ok. It's only 10 days away. And I'll trade 10 days of crappy sleep for a sober future.

And hey, I'd love to save money and start exercising to boot!