Notices

Here goes ..

Old 10-28-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  
Administrator

I totally understand treating this thing with respect, but I'm not a big fan of avoiding life to stay sober...locking yourself away and living in fear of drinking again doesn't sound like much of a life to me.

You're an intelligent sensitive guy - you know how much better your life is, and how much better a man you are - not to mention a better husband and father.

You've already faced tests. These guys sound like great and good friends.

You seem committed to me. You're not an idiot (not in a bad way anyway )

It may not be easy...Your little voice might drive you mad at times...but you'll be fine Octo...cos I know you want to be

D
Old 10-29-2007, 01:32 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

If it was me, I wouldn't risk it.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:33 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Oops....I replied to page one! Sorry!

Without AA I could not stay sober...that's where I found the strength and the perserverence, for me I just COULD NOT do it on my own...that's why it's there, to help us STAY sober and also improve the quality of our lives!! SO we don't have to just 'exist' ... you probably will drink again if you've kind of made up your mind that it's gonna happen sooner or later... I would get to an AA meeting PRONTO if you want to stay stopped!! If you want to drink again - just need to wait, not do what's suggested and it will happen...your choice!! Good luck!!!

Cathy31
x

However!!! On your latest issue...AA has allowed me to go anywhere and do anything and be anywhere...because the desire to drink has been removed - one day at a time. If you feel spiritually strong you can do it no probs - if you aer going with the right motives (ie not as an excuse to drink!) if you are not feeling strong, i would not go.

Last edited by Cathy31; 10-29-2007 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Answered page 1!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Wowee it is cold here this morning!
Winter seems to have finally started making itself felt. Lovely blue sky though so no complaints.

Woke up this morning and I suddenly realised that the brain fog has finally began to lift. Not sure when it happended. It just seems to have crept up on me. For the first time I actually feel less fuzzy in the head and able to focus a bit more. Hopefully it will get better from now. Took nearly 100 days but at last last some improvement!!

Off for my scotland trip this weekend coming. Four days in the company of hard drinkers in a cottage. Going to be tough. I'm confident I wont drink though. My biggest concern is that I wont enjoy myself....

Oct
Old 11-12-2007, 01:32 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Administrator

ah...you'll have fun...it's Scotland.

LOL

D
Old 11-12-2007, 01:35 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

It was around the 100 day mark or more that I felt things beginning to clear in my brain too Octo. Less mood swings too.

I am sure you wont drink this weekend mate, I hope they dont start drinking till the evenings lol!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:35 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
ah...you'll have fun...it's Scotland.

LOL

D

Yea, you think your cold now! lol
Old 11-12-2007, 06:08 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

octo
the brain fog has finally began to lift.
i herd London is fog'y, glad its leave'n your head octo...

happy to see your do'n ok!

xxoo

rz
Old 11-15-2007, 12:55 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Haha, yep I think Scotland could be pretty cold! Got my woolies though.

Sent an e-mail to my friends yesterday fully explaining why I wouldnt be drinking and the importance they should attach to it. Just in case they were in any doubt and thought they may be able to convince me. They were very understanding.

All good then My first proper trip away from my `secure` invironment since quitting. A little nervous but its definitely time. I cant hide from the world forever.

I fly at 8 am tomorrow - 5 am alarm call - so will be offline until Tuesday when I return.

Speak later and positive vibes to all
Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Administrator

have fun mate

D
Old 11-15-2007, 01:00 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Have a good time Octo. See you when you get back.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:39 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I *so* expect a postcard.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Hi all. Just wanted to drop in and let you know I managed my weekend with my friends in Scotland without drinking

I have to say Scotland is beautiful! Cold but stunning.
I had a great time climbing mountains, fishing and even sitting in local taverns without any alcohol. The evenings were a bit tough though and on the second night i had to go to bed early while my friends were drinking Whiskey round the fire. It was nice to be clear headed in the morning and watch the others suffer though .

Other than that I really enjoyed myself and was truly glad I was sober to take in the breathtaking scenery.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by Octoman View Post
It was nice to be clear headed in the morning and watch the others suffer though .
:mock

Sounds like it was a nice trip. Well done on not drinking.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So glad you posted, Octo - I was thinking of you over the weekend. Isn't it great when we have a triumph like that? You didn't even have to give up going to the taverns, though I know it's not recommended! (If I ruled out all the places that served alcohol in this town, I'd be left with McDonalds & Burger King.)
Old 12-02-2007, 01:10 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
thanks for the advice. I was really disappointed in myself given that I had made it through far tougher times but I guess that I took my eye of the ball.

I actually think I have started to really get it together lately and the tools I have learned to get through the tough times were hard earned and still with me. I think complacency is what caught me out - I had begun to think I had it licked - and I dont intend to get cought out like that again.

I feel a little raw around alcohol again and it will take a while to get back to where I was but then it was a wake up call. I also learned something else. Not only is alcohol poison for me but the effect it has on me has got far worse over the time I have been sober. I allowed myself a single glass of wine after work to celebrate closur of a tough period. I had convinced myself that it was a test and if I could do have the one and walk away I would be far more comfortable with my sobriety. My theory was that I have been living in fear that one slip up and I'm in hell and that by showing I could resist after one I wouldnt have that hanging over me. Ridiculous thinking about it now but heh!
Anyway the one glass ended in a major blackout. No idea how it all got so out of control. I ruined my new suit. So I have my answer to whether I can resist after one. The answer is a resounding gob smacking NO!

Anyway,thanks again for the suport folks. I dont intend to give up quitting - I want to be free of alcohol more than ever - so I am just going to press on doing what I was doing and continuing with my recovery. I have reset my sober date and reset my attitude. Now to get on and rack up some serious sober time
Old 12-02-2007, 01:21 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hang in there Octo..

Old 12-02-2007, 03:23 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Awesome attitude Octo!! So glad you updated us! Lesson learned and you move on...good going!!:*****
Denise
Old 12-02-2007, 04:59 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nothing's been lost, Octo -

- and now you're armed with even more ammo to take into the war. It'll be alright, love. I'm so glad you posted and let us know. (Sorry about the suit, however....)
Old 12-03-2007, 06:26 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
smileyologist and lord of bees

Come on you know you want to...