Notices

Class of January 2023 Part 1

Old 01-05-2023, 12:09 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post
I'm just going to share my (very personal) opinion on day counting:

It's different for different people, Tony. I counted my first 9 months and found it gratifying to see the time advancing, but once I FINALLY woke up to the reality of my addiction and my desire for an authentic life, the count didn't make sense for me anymore.

I'm going to live everyday as gratefully and in touch with my HP as I can. I'm going to accomplish wonders because of this attitude. Those wonders will inspire more gratitude.

I'm not slogging through a mess and counting out how long I've be in it (def not saying that everyone counting days thinks of it like this, but I certainly did). When I thought of recovery as "giving up what I desire", I was proud of everyday. When I began to think of recovery as "giving up ACTUAL poison so that I can live a rich, blessed life", it just seemed like a "well, of course" moment.

Someone once shared here, "Alcohol holds nothing for me. I don't desire it. I don't kick my dog, and I don't drink. I don't count the days since I kicked my dog."

So, I don't count the days since my last drink/drug, but I do recognize the day that my deliverance from suffering occurred. I recognize when the scales fell from my eyes, and I saw the TRUTH of my condition. For me, that was nothing short of miraculous, and it is a day that I mark on the calendar for annual celebration. I understand celebrating such milestones, and I think that, in the beginning, some folks find joy and pride in celebrating smaller milestones. That is awesome, too.

Think on it. You do whatever works for you, Tony!

Take care!
-TC
Day 5

Thank you for taking the time to reply in such a comprehensive and caring way. Everything you said makes sense and some of the sentiments chime with my signature as I’m sure that you noticed. I’m also pleased I seemed to start a small conversation amongst others on counting days.

Broken sleep last night, but good pockets of real slumber lasting two or three hours. I feel so rested in comparison to when I am unconscious through alcohol.

My insides on the right really hurt still. I know I should see a doctor but I’m still too scared to know what I’ve done to myself. I fear cirrhosis, cancer - all sorts of stuff. I actually think cancer is more likely. Being someone that used to be heavily into fitness I know the difference between muscle pain and internal pain. Something isn’t right within.

JT
Old 01-05-2023, 12:21 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustTony View Post
Day 5

My insides on the right really hurt still. I know I should see a doctor but I’m still too scared to know what I’ve done to myself. I fear cirrhosis, cancer - all sorts of stuff. I actually think cancer is more likely. Being someone that used to be heavily into fitness I know the difference between muscle pain and internal pain. Something isn’t right within.

JT
You are on your day 5 , people have stomach pains on all sides for months sometimes after they stop drinking and cancer is never more likely
When you put poison in your body all the time you cause damage , damage can hurt , but luckily in most cases damage is reversible if you stop drinking.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:23 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

I’m sobor but in so much pain . Don’t think I will be going home today
Old 01-05-2023, 12:29 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

So I'm at the end of day 1, shouldn't really call it that as I've been in bed sick from intoxication..
I had planned to quit after my bday later in January but I can't do this 1 day longer..

Its good to see you back JT and you too Strawberry.
I hope we can all stick around this time..
Old 01-05-2023, 03:10 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Good morning all,
. Tica- that airport episode sounds like a real nightmare! It reminds me of the movie "midnight express" from the 1970's. I hope your doing well.
Tony, Red and Strawberry - I hope your various pains subside soon. I'm lucky in that I've never had the liver pain, but as others have said, it normally goes away after quitting alcohol.

Still doing well here, almost a month behind me.
I pledge today's sobriety.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:27 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 95. Sending strength to all who are struggling Tica, Erractic, Strawberry, Red and JT. ( Sorry if I missed anyone). Stay close we are all here for each other.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:32 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Red and JustTony - I'm sorry that you are hurting. It's the body's way of telling us that enough is enough. In most cases, if we heed that warning, the body is able to heal. Take heart! You are doing what needs to be done. We can't change what has been, but we can change our now and our future.

Strawberry - I'm thinking of you today and hoping for relief. Glad that you were able to have the operation, and I pray that the pain abates soon.

Bobbie - I'm so sorry for your loss. The holidays are such a hard time to lose someone. Prayers for your family.

Zencat - You are a Buddhist blessing, brother! I love your fun and your fonts!

Zenith - You just did an ENTIRE MONTH like it was no big deal! And is your life better? Is your enjoyment higher? Is your confidence and self-worth greater? I used to think people were full of nonsense when they talked about the joys of sobriety, but I now know that hard-won rewards are doubly sweet. Sometimes I feel a little bit sad for folks who just bop through life generally at ease, never making waves or weathering storms. My knowledge of storms makes the peace I have now SO MUCH better.

Take care, all!
Old 01-05-2023, 04:44 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tica2023 View Post
Day 4 here, lots of vivid nightmares but nothing like the real life nightmare two weeks ago of blacking out, being arrested in an airport while blacked out from alcohol and benzos and waking up in a freezing cold jail cell. I planned the trip I’ve waited decades for and only got a 24 hour trip to the county jail. I’m still very traumatized about it honestly. Thanks for listening, eyes forward
I am also sorry that happened, dear Tica. s

I came pretty close to that myself years ago, and it was terrifying.

One of the recovery sayings I like is: this too shall pass. Every day, those horrific days are a little further behind us, and we heal. s ❤️
Old 01-05-2023, 04:46 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strawberry18 View Post
I’m sobor but in so much pain . Don’t think I will be going home today
Sending you healing love, dearest Strawberry. s ❤️❤️
Old 01-05-2023, 04:47 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Welcome back, dear Red. ❤️

And good morning and afternoon to all of you.
Old 01-05-2023, 04:55 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Hello all-
Good to see you back, Citrus, Erratic and Red.

Hope those who are hurting start to feel better.

That's all for now, I'll check in later-off to work.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:21 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me today. I have had multiple stints on this site last year and failed each time. ​​​​​​​I can't keep doing it to myself, this needs to be the last time I am saying day 1,2 ,3 etc.
My husband is also stopping with me this time, not that he is a heavy drinker but moral support.

Good luck everyone
Old 01-05-2023, 05:22 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I am so glad you have your husband's support, dear Alex. ❤️

And good morning Sam, love xxxx ❤️
Old 01-05-2023, 06:21 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I am glad your husband is quitting with you, Alex, that makes it a lot easier.
Hey, Sam!
ToughChoices - Have a great day!
Runnerf - Day 95! That seemed so far away 95 days ago. Great job!
zenithboy - I love to see you hitting your stride. You got this.
Red - Glad you're back. You were missed.
Strawberry - I hope you feel better fast.
JustTony - I've been there with the liver pain. It's real. It is amazing how our bodies heal, even after the damage we have done.
Calmself - way to keep going! Thanks for checking in!
Erratic - glad you're here! We can do this together!
Citrus - you are on my prayer list. It's good to see you.
Tica - I'm sorry you went through that. I ruined a very expensive, what was supposed to be very awesome vacation as well. You're in good company here.
Zen - I second and third everyone else's sentiments. I love your posts!
FDL - The further you get from that last drink, the better the sleep gets. Great job on day 7!
Takeaction - I love that you dance! Great job on your sobriety! You are kicking a**!
Dee, Anna, Suze and Caramel - thanks and love to you guys.

Hope I didn't miss anyone. If I did, know that you are welcome here and cherished. Recovery is a team sport and we're a winning team.
Day 88
"There will be very painful moments in your life that will change your entire world in a matter of minutes. These moments will change you. Let them make you stronger, smarter, and kinder. But don't you go and become someone that you are not. Cry. Scream if you have to. Then, straighten out that crown and keep moving."
Old 01-05-2023, 09:26 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Quick-check-in.

Doing well thankfully. Have a few projects already going on this morning here in rainey California. Working to get my creative juices going on. Boning up in my art learnings. Serialism. constructivism and modern art movements currently on the homeschool curriculum.
“You can’t stop the future

You can’t rewind the past

The only way to learn the secret

…is to press play.”
― Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why
Old 01-05-2023, 09:29 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hello to the Viewers on this thread BassetDog , Hawkeye13 Scott2295
Old 01-05-2023, 09:31 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Old 01-05-2023, 09:45 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

well im going off to bed and im sober. so will say goodnight all and hope ur afternoon or night goes good x night night from me x
Old 01-05-2023, 09:46 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Thank you Anna, Zencat, and Bobieka!

Dancing just makes my soul come alive! I do it as a hobby, but as I’ve practiced more throughout this year, I’ve entertained becoming an instructor. It’s Latin dance so it’s a combination of cumbia, salsa, hip hop, and bachata. I love it!

Well guys, I made it to 30 days!!!!! I’ve officially been sober for a month. I’m so glad I hit rock bottom when I did, because I could not do my current job as an alcoholic.

Thank you all for being my support.

I’ve been a member of SR for years, but this time I’m staying sober for good.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:54 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days!!! ❤️❤️❤️