Notices

Class of January 2023 Part 1

Old 01-05-2023, 06:24 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to the Class Alexdvs88

#0 days very nice! Takeaction That is so cool,. I love the arts. Dance, writing, the poets, live theater, music, any artistic expression us humans come up with is such fun for me The arts are one redeeming act that gives me faith in humanity.

Hi Hawkeye, Hope all is manageable or better.

Anna Location: Dancing in the Light. AHA! Anna that's way way cool. My surname is of Scot /British origins. I have a lot of Nordic DNA tho.

Basset, really good to see ya Not happy you are feeling bad but, that's the "trap" for you .

Suze haha PJ run in public. Nothing strange to do in the US, Check this this out

No Pants Subway Ride Day takes place in early January every year, on January 9 this year, and the official date is announced a month before it in early December. It is an annual event where — as the name suggests — people ride the subway (or other rapid transit) with no pants on.

Hi Red. Keep working it, It will happen for you. Sometimes it takes a few false starts before sobriety starts to kick it in gear.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:21 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Just a check in here. End of day 10 for me. Looking forward to waking up from another sober sleep.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:31 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry I missed you Alexdvs - welcome back.
Glad you got through unscathed Red.

Congrats on day 10 Chancellor

D
Old 01-05-2023, 09:21 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Glad you made it back BassetDog.Whats your plan to stop this 3 weeks good, one week bad cycle?

D
Great question Dee. I am working on it as I don’t want to drink anymore. I can’t drink anymore. I don’t have all the answers yet but attending meetings has helped, this site has helped, and all the literature I’ve read has helped. I am looking to find time to do some fun/meaningful activities too (I finally start my guitar lessons next week!)

Bottom line i think is just finally accepting I don’t drink. It makes everything worse. It improves absolutely nothing

Old 01-05-2023, 09:32 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

morning
start of day 2 and have work this morning.
great job takeaction on 30 days x and good job chancellor on 10 days x wekcine back basset x
when i came home from work yesterday i had nice salted caramel hot chocolate, that seemed to help curb any craving. will have another one later today again i think.
have great day all catch u all later x
Old 01-05-2023, 11:50 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Day 8 checking in.

I’m flat out busy back at work so still here reading but not much time to write.wanted to say hi for some accountability and it’s great to see so many here

thank you all
Old 01-05-2023, 11:59 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Day 6

Hi Red - great to see you too.

Strawberry - I hope you get better soon.

All - Thanks for assuring me that the pains are likely just the liver saying "enough is enough" as opposed to something terminal. I really am scared this time.

Best Regards,

JT
Old 01-06-2023, 12:03 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Checking in for day 4, feel better today. Yesterday I felt like I had the worst hangover going. Shaking, headaches, awful.I do tend to struggle ore at the weekend, not really sure why when I drank daily. But I'm ready for it!
Old 01-06-2023, 12:55 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

In Serbia Christmas is tomorrow but many people ( like me ) start drinking the night before , because it's more about drinking than about Christmas , when we go to church people are basically giving away free war Rakija ( Serbian national drink ) , but no drinking for me this year , trying to stay strong
Old 01-06-2023, 02:54 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Good Morning Folks,
. Laza- a Happy Sober Christmas to you in Serbia!
Alex- congrats on making it to day 4, you are just about through with the worst of it! Of course a lot of work ahead, but it gets so much better
Tough Choices and Bobbie- thanks for encouragement and kind words regarding my progress.

For more mornings than I care to remember, I would sit on the edge of my bed and look at the drunk in the mirror. Depressed with bloodshot eyes obviously not feeling my best.
I have a firm Christian belief though, and I would say, " Father, please take this from me in Jesus name."
I had probably hundreds of day ones, maybe thousands.
Finally it all came together a month ago.
As literally all ex drunks say, it just keeps getting better!
No, I don't need the daily 2 bottles of wine to artificially improve anything, I can handle things well enough without it.
I'm starting to enjoy some old hobbies and my days pass by with mild thoughts occasionally, but that's about it.
I sure don't want to restart the process of craving and withdrawal again!

A good sober day to each of you
Old 01-06-2023, 03:25 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Good morning to all.

Pledging for today. Day 96. Taking each day at a time and garnering strength from all of you here. One of the common themes here is the realization that alcohol does zero to improve our lives or help us handle whatever comes our way. This becomes more clear to me the farther in the past my last drink was.

Best to all on your journey.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:39 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 2 and committing to 24 more hours beer free. I am grateful I mustered a decent sleep last night. Still dealing with stomach pain from IBS and body aches (stupid withdrawals!). But this is way better than waking up with a hangover and not dealing with the shame of drinking the night before.

Alex - I can totally relate weekends are always more difficult for me too and was a daily drinker for years. Hope you feel better physically!

Erratic - congrats on day 2. The special salted Carmel drink sounds super tasty and a nice reward for yourself at the end of the day.

Congrats to all for staying sober yesterday. Hope everyone has a great sober Friday!
Old 01-06-2023, 05:25 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Happy Friday, all!

I had a stumbling, learning day at both work and home yesterday (not related to addiction, just regular, old learning curves with new jobs and teenagers!), but I was fortunate enough to attend my favorite AA meeting last night, do some meaningful reading, and go to bed at peace.

My spouse, out of the blue, turned to me and said, "This is not your sole responsibility or your fault. Don't let someone else hand that to you. You are working hard and being true, and we will sort out the details. I'm glad you're being you."

I sure love him. He is my best friend and a balm to my growing, aching soul.
All is well. I am grateful, even when I am sad or a little unsure. My HP makes all things new and gives me direction.

"Create in me, a clean heart, O God. Let me be like you in all my ways. Give me your strength. Teach me your song. Shelter me in the shadow of your wing."

Take care, all. You guys are doing the work! Keep walking in the right direction!
Old 01-06-2023, 05:53 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Good morning, SR! Thank you all for your kind words, and continued support.

@Anna, I can imagine you as a very elegant ballerina 🩰 Amazing!

Happy Friday all! I’m ready for the workday to be over so that I can relax and sleep! I’ve been a little moody and tired lately, but nothing I can’t shake. My current irritability if at all is minimal, compared to my former self. I couldn’t handle dogs barking, birds chirping, and the sun peering through my window. Now it’s my normal wake up call lol.

Committed to another sober day at day 31.
Old 01-06-2023, 06:06 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zenny
#0 days very nice! Takeaction That is so cool,. I love the arts. Dance, writing, the poets, live theater, music, any artistic expression us humans come up with is such fun for me The arts are one redeeming act that gives me faith in humanity.
Ops 31 days Take.

Note to self: proofread ole boy Willy

In AA it can be heard that if your new or returning to AA do 90 meetings in 90 days. 1 hour meeting each day will give you 90 hours of working a program. 2+ 40+ hr work weeks worth of learning to live sober. Do that here at SR and I think you will have a good chance of staying sober. One hour a day can make all the difference in staying sober vs doing just the minimum to squeak by sober each day,
Namaste
Old 01-06-2023, 06:18 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Wow, Zenith. I stood in church, crying and said, "Please take this from me, I cannot do this." Took a few weeks, but things started falling into place to create a sober Bobbie. How cool that your story is so similar.

I love reading the victories everyone is having. Overcoming the urges, changing of mindsets. Keep going! Keep talking!

Last night was the first time I had a drinking thought in almost 90 days. My mother-in-law's passing has me feeling all kinds of ways. I realize though that it is much better to feel the feelings. After 4 years of sobriety, my dad died (at the beginning of Covid shutdowns) and I drank. It has taken me 2 years to get back to me and I'm not letting that go. And, I know, there is absolutely nothing that drinking can make better.

Thanks for being a safe place I can share.

Day 89
"In any given moment we have two options: to step forward into growth or to step back into safety."

Old 01-06-2023, 06:40 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Hi all.
Checking in for day 5 here!
Let's do this!
Old 01-06-2023, 07:18 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Day 5 is awesome!

ALL OF YOU are awesome!

Onward together. ❤️
Old 01-06-2023, 07:23 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Wow, Zenith. I stood in church, crying and said, "Please take this from me, I cannot do this." Took a few weeks, but things started falling into place to create a sober Bobbie. How cool that your story is so similar.

I love reading the victories everyone is having. Overcoming the urges, changing of mindsets. Keep going! Keep talking!

Last night was the first time I had a drinking thought in almost 90 days. My mother-in-law's passing has me feeling all kinds of ways. I realize though that it is much better to feel the feelings. After 4 years of sobriety, my dad died (at the beginning of Covid shutdowns) and I drank. It has taken me 2 years to get back to me and I'm not letting that go. And, I know, there is absolutely nothing that drinking can make better.

Thanks for being a safe place I can share.

Day 89
"In any given moment we have two options: to step forward into growth or to step back into safety."
So much love, honey. s

I know you have heard me say this like a thousand times, but I believe drinking dreams occur so that we can learn from them. Even though they can be awful, they are a reminder of who we never want to be again. I feel as though they are a message from our Higher Power. ❤️
Old 01-06-2023, 09:27 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Renegade2 welcome to the Class

Hi everybody
Pledging another 24 hours sober.