Notices

Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 6

Old 03-23-2022, 04:13 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bodhi02 View Post
The one friend, y, criticized the way I’m being sober that I should be making amends and stop avoiding. she’s had a month of not drinking before so she gets it I should still come to events and not cut people off or isolate myself.
This "friend" Bodhi, who thinks she "gets it" obviously doesn't- no one gets to dictate how another person gets sober.

Good for you standing strong and not wavering when faced with this litany of what I would consider pettiness and nosiness. Maybe it's just my jaded view, but it feels like they are either searching for "the dirt" or trying to drag you back to the dark side. The only thing you need now is support- and it doesn't seem to be coming from that direction.

Onward to better things. Anyone meant to stay your friend will, time will tell.

Old 03-23-2022, 05:32 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Good Evening everyone!

SS -- good deal on the kicking the AV and getting to the gym. Mr. LHW and I are trying to lose some weight as well and have been trying to kick things up a notch. So nice when we see results!!!!

Bodhi - great job on the self care and eliminating toxic people. You were mahh-velous! (oyyyy...did I just date myself with that?)

Free - I hear ya on wanting to guzzle the margarita. I had the same thing a few days ago when I saw an ice cold stainless steel martini glass. It was like "get that over here"! But I didn't......it only takes a minute to redirect the thoughts. I am glad your house guests are far and few between now. Isn't it a relief when they all leave, no matter how short or long the visit was?

Hi Viking -- I totally agree with your comments about Bodhi's "friends".

We were invited to visit friends who live nearby for this coming Saturday afternoon for a few hours. These are friends of ours who moved down here 10 years ago, but they are originally friends of mine and the late Mr. LHW. When I met current Mr. LHW a few years ago, it turns out that he grew up with the husband of this couple so he is not really the "newcomer" when we are around them, which makes things a little easier than the awkwardness that Free and I have had when we are around friends of the late Mrs. Free or the late Mr. LHW. All that said, the invite was to "come over and have a few drinks before you guys head back north". I said that would be fine, we'd love to come visit, but both Mr. LHW and I are not drinking alcohol and would bring our own beverages. She said fine and that was that. She won't ask another thing. Her brother died of alcoholism 6 months ago and it was a really really bad scene for years.

Mr. LHW told me this evening that the iced green tea with lemon and spearmint leaves I make him tastes better than the Manhattans he used to drink!!!!! I agree it tastes great, but I can't do caffeine after 5pm and even a little green tea will keep me up all night. Still trying to find that right after 5pm beverage, but I think the club soda with cherry juice is definitely a front runner.

Well, off to binge watch some "Mrs. Maisel" with Mr. LHW. Hope everyone has/had a great evening.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:05 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Hi gang, I wanted to pop in and say hello, and also to apologize for abandoning the class back in October. I took my eye off of what was important and fell back into my old habits. I can't do this alone, and one of these days I'll figure that out. So here I am, five months later, getting back on the bus. Five months of a six-pack a day habit. That much poorer in health and in finances. Running in place and just feeling sorry for myself. Today is my Day 2, and I hope to learn from my mistakes and make it stick this time.

So happy to see that the band is still together. You guys make beautiful music together. We made beautiful music together. I'm going to hop onto either the March or April 2022 class and start the counter over again, but I'll be lurking here to gain inspiration from my old friends. Hope you don't mind me chiming in from time to time either.

Again, I'm sorry for abandoning you.......and myself.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:20 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Great to see you dear CP!
Onward together. s xx ❤️
Old 03-24-2022, 10:11 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Welcome back, CP.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:46 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

OMG! CPath!

Yay! 🪅🎉🎊🎏🪄❤️🤓

Sooooooo glad you came back!

You are forever in our wonderful, very active class, as I’m forever tied to May 2018 class, but that petered out so I only check in there once in a while.

We are a GREAT group, and include all.

Please say hello weekly at least.

🤓
Old 03-24-2022, 02:31 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey CP

D
Old 03-24-2022, 06:41 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Hey CP 👋 You we’re very missed and you are very welcome here ❤️
Old 03-24-2022, 06:44 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Hey CP👋

You were very missed and you are very welcome here ❤️

That’s 2 days you’re not adding to your drinking days. Way to go!
Old 03-25-2022, 04:41 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

The final guests of snow season have passed.

walk with husbands cousins partner today asked me if I don’t drink at all any more. She noticed I had my club soda with cherry juice last night while three of them shared a bottle of wine.

I told her I cut it out last August, I took some steps outside myself and noticed my anxiety was heightened by alcohol consumption, (true), and waking up in the middle of the night (also true). I also said that since my skin cancer diagnosis there’s especially no need to consume ethanol, a known carcinogen 😁🤓

Hope all is well heading toward the weekend.

For me, it never mattered what day it was. I drank daily. 😫
Old 03-25-2022, 04:45 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Well, this day has been great all over the place, but it just got one million times BETTER----- I did a double take.... Was it really true???

WELCOME BACK CP!!!!!!

So very, very happy to have you back in the fold, we all thought of you often and congrats on day 2. Please come by ALL the time, and it will be so good to see you on the boards. You are always going to be a member of THIS class, don't doubt it.

What a perfect end to a great day!
Old 03-25-2022, 08:09 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

You know what’s awesome about being sober:

1. I went to a local comedy show tonight. It was about 30 mins away and I was able to drive us. When I was drinking I wouldn’t have even considered going to the show because Uber would be too pricey and we wouldn’t have been able to drive.

2. Friends were supposed to come with us but ended up canceling because they had a rough few days at work. Before my self esteem would’ve plummeted but now that I’m doing the work to heal, support and love myself I was able to not only be totally unfazed by the last minute cancel but also provide the person some support and kind words for their hard work.

3. Taking my makeup off at the end of the night. I would’ve just slept with it on.

Hope everyone has a great start to the weekend!
Old 03-25-2022, 10:00 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Wonderful, Bodhi! And isn’t it weird those clubs ways want a TWO drink MINIMUM!?!?

So glad you are really healing.❤️🤓

Big hugs 🤗
Old 03-26-2022, 09:44 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

UGH, RIP Taylor Hawking. I am a RABID Foo Fighters fan and feel like I lost a distant family member. My BFF called me at 11:45 last night and we stayed on the phone for a while and then I was up all night looking at social media. As far as I knew, Taylor had his battle/relationship with drugs, and it did seem he was sober. Even if he was, the toll it takes on one's body is extraordinary. Sober or not, this is a devastating loss to the music world, to my most beloved rock idol- Dave Grohl, and to Taylor's family, band and fans. Damned addiction. I hate it so much.

Glad we are on the other side of it, but just another reminder to stay vigilant and never, ever forget.

Peace, friends.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:24 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Hawkins. I blame autocorrect.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:59 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

I hear you honey: it is devastating. Drugs kill. This is my second 50-odd-year-old hero this month who died of an overdose and shocked the world.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:28 AM
  # 297 (permalink)  

We don't know that was the cause of death.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:54 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Old 03-27-2022, 01:22 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Welcome back, CP!
Old 03-28-2022, 06:34 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Thank goodness I don’t watch the news, most of it is skewed, and incorrect, especially in the US these days. We can only receive what we are fed, and most of it is BS.

Ive not watched it most of my life, now I watch streaming stuff without commercials.

That way, I don’t get brainwashed into thinking alcohol is relaxing, makes me sexy, is a necessary nutrient in order to live, etc.

Hope all is well.

James, hope your lurking, The fact you came back and posted was great. It is so scary how much of a hold active using has on our lives. I’m so afraid to take that first drink. Goodness knows if I’d EVER come back….

Big hike today, snowstorm back home tonight and tomorrow. Shouldn’t hit until after we are in bed.

Yesterday 79 F, today 69 F. LOVE this place.