Notices

Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 6

Old 05-13-2022, 02:47 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Suze- I'm sure you are one of the bright stars of your class, no doubt.
Old 05-13-2022, 02:58 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Oh, there is plenty of doubt, believe me.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:41 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Venus,

NoooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOO………..🥰
Old 05-13-2022, 07:04 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Release that self-doubt, Venus!
Old 05-14-2022, 05:50 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Echoing my classmates Venus, I hope that you can push aside any negative voice in your head that is telling you that you are somehow less qualified than the other folks in your class. We believe in you and know how capable you are. Sending positive vibes your way, and hoping that you can focus on the task at hand, knowing that your best is truly enough. Hugs.

My current recovery book suggested writing a goodbye letter to alcohol. A breakup letter to an ex-lover, revisiting our history, the highs and lows, and why the time had come to part ways. Holey Moley was that a cathartic exercise! I sat down yesterday morning, fully expecting a slow, painful writing process, not knowing what to say, or how to say it. Nope. The words came easy. The memories came right to the surface. It wasn't hard at all, and I feel so much better having done it. I think that this is a step in rewiring my subconscious mind, and flushing out some of the thoughts and feelings that I had pushed way down. All I know is that it felt good.

It occurred to me, when I was thinking about the start of my relationship with alcohol, that it was similar to the story in The Truman Show (do you remember that movie with Jim Carrey?). I was born into a family where alcohol was the reality. Dad's tavern was on the same property as our house. The bar business was our life. It's like alcohol was the guy in the movie that orchestrated Truman's life from the start. As Truman got older and sensed that something wasn't right, Christof altered his reality to keep him stuck in place. (Spoiler alert) The story had a happy ending, in that Truman's soul would not allow him to be confined and he finally figured out how to escape and forge his own reality. Sounds a lot like alcoholism, right?

I decided to save this letter out on my blog so that I can refer back to it from time to time. Feeling really optimistic today guys. I think that I have a five day string going now and the fog is lifting. I hope that everyone has a good Saturday.
Old 05-14-2022, 06:05 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Stellar post dear CP. Unfortunately, I haven't seen The Truman Show, but brilliant synopsis.

And I love the goodbye letter idea. A lot of people say it is very cathartic.
When I have time, I will read your blog.

You guys are wonderful, and I really appreciate the encouragement.
This is the HARDEST thing I have done since I got sober. By far. I am a bit out of my depth, and I am struggling to come up for air.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:50 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 days, CP.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:25 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Home from a night out with some friends, and tomorrow I go to Boston for lunch- dumplings! Grateful for 9 months sober and how much my routine has evolved in that time. Those lonely nights and hungover days stay close in my memory and I am not ready to let them go. I write the memories down in my journal so I don’t get cocky or glib as well as to remind myself of how far I have come and how much I now have to lose. Just in case. One can never be too careful.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:29 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done CP

you too VGF!

D
Old 05-15-2022, 06:18 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VikingGF View Post
I write the memories down in my journal so I don’t get cocky or glib as well as to remind myself of how far I have come and how much I now have to lose. Just in case. One can never be too careful.
This is a great idea Viking and I'm going to incorporate it in my plan. I really, really need to remember how bad things can get and how much I don't want to go back there. Thank you for this!
Old 05-16-2022, 05:04 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Good morning folks. A quick check-in before getting cleaned up and moving. Picking up the granddaughter for a playdate/sleepover so I won't be too active for the next day or two. Will be checking in periodically though.

Viking, I hope that your Boston lunch was great.

Feeling so much better every day, though I have to admit that I had too much sugar yesterday. Ice cream was on sale at the grocery store. Plus I went to a sports bar to watch basketball yesterday and the waitress wouldn't stop refilling my Pepsi. I can feel it in my gut today.

Wishing you all a good start to your week and I'll check in with you later. Hugs all around.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:27 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Were you watching the Celtics, CP? Boston was a-buzz yesterday- everyone had a jersey on. I think they were hiding their Bruins sadness!

Just checking in to say hello today- hope everyone is doing well. The weather has finally made a turn for the better in my neck of the woods and I'm thrilled to get outside without a sweater or jacket! I have a haircut tonight at 7:45 (I even hesitated to make it- the old pause is so ingrained in me- usually I would not dream of committing to anything at night) so I am going to go grab a quick dinner and do a little shopping beforehand.

Have a good week, class.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:57 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Hey all! Just catching up on all the posts. I’m happy to see the class so active!

CP and Viking I was laughing so hard at the pet treat mixups. Too funny!

Free, love the addiction quotes and glad you made it through the romanticizing evening. It made me think of boundaries in the sense of where your friends begin and you end. Sometimes I get envious of other people but I just try to think well that’s something that looks like it works for their life it definitely wouldn’t work for mine and my own unique experiences/assumptions/beliefs.

hello to everyone else!

Here’s a quick update on what I’ve got going on in my camp:

I realized ever since the miscarriage 2 months ago I’ve let my sugar intake increase and get a bit out of control so I’m trying to wrangle that back in. I’m doing some get to know myself/love myself work that’s been pretty eye opening. The IVF fertility treatment is going well and in a few weeks we’ll find out how many viable embryos we have. I’m learning how to refinish a table with my Dads help. That’s been a really good bonding experience and it’s so nice to use my hands for something other than typing on a keyboard. I think this week I get can back in my exercise groove so I’m looking forward to that!

Old 05-16-2022, 06:35 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you Bodhi! Sounds like your doing GREAT! 😄

Congrats on your week CP, and that ‘by by, don’t let the door slam your @$$” letter to alcohol. Can’t wait to read your blog!

Viking, I’m a few days behind you, congrats on nine months! Woot woot! 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Venus, I’m sorry your so low….. CP’s post exactly. 😘
Old 05-16-2022, 06:38 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Excavation started!

Talked hubby into a chain saw, been getting dirty! Ran into a thousand million carpenter ants. I left that log alone.🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜
Old 05-16-2022, 06:40 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

I would just like to say- my hair appt is NEXT Monday. Apparently, sobriety has not improved my calendar skills.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:43 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Hi, Bodhi! You sound so good! Makes me smile… Enjoy bonding with your dad, what a great opportunity that is.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:46 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Free- I LOVE my chainsaw! Congrats on moving forward.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:47 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Starting to get dirty……

Timbers the other day, now twice that and cut for pickup

Old 05-16-2022, 09:08 PM
  # 500 (permalink)  
Administrator

Time for a new thread

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-7-a.html (Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 7)

D