Notices

Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 6

Old 01-16-2022, 02:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 6

continues from:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-5-a-20.html (Class of August 2021 Support Thread Part 5)

D
Old 01-16-2022, 03:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun! 🤓❤️

Thanks Dee!

Old 01-16-2022, 08:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So I’ve been looting at Sonne Vloet You Tube videos on her Pilates and stretching routines. Today I thought I’d entertain myself and watch an episode of her talking about salads, etc and fish, blah blah blah, and then-she is drinking a HUGE glass of red wine! Wow, I had the urge for a few minutes, some internal,whining, ‘why, oh come on, it’ll be ok, why can’t I ? Maybe I’ll just have one……😈😈😈😈😈

OMG 🥵🥵🥵🥵

At tonights dinner, the two men we had for company had wine along with Dr Free, I had no problem pouring their wine and drinking my La Croix.

I don’t get it. What a SNEAKY (so and so🤬 the AV IS………🧐🤨
Old 01-17-2022, 06:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Free- UGH. So far, I have actually been avoiding stuff like that, where I'm watching people cook while drinking wine- why is that HARDER than sitting directly next to a glass of wine that someone is drinking??? But it sure is. I didn't even think about it until I read your post and realized that I am switching off things I would usually watch- but I remain unaffected by people drinking around me. I think, for me, I LOVED to cook with a glass in my hand, and in my reptile brain, they really went together, I wonder if watching that behavior is more of a trigger because of the act of cooking. I am not triggered when cooking, but I'm not cool with watching other people do it with wine. Interesting.
Old 01-18-2022, 05:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

Checking in from “chilly” Florida. It’s 45 this morning, which is unseasonably cold. We drove from the northern part of the state to the southern part in a blinding rainstorm on Sunday and are now trying to get
settled here on the east coast. We are in this rental till the end of the month then head over to the Gulf Coast and there we stay until April.

Mr. LHW is going to wash the car today……

It sounds like everyone is doing well. More later.

LHW

Old 01-19-2022, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi All, I woke up with a heavy feeling in my chest. I’m thinking about all the lost connections and ****** connections I have with “friends” now. I feel so inadequate. I guess I have a lot more processing to do. I’m listening to Nature Sounds playlist on Spotify as per a recommendation from the recovery elevator podcast. The last few episodes are focused on techniques to calm the nervous system down. I listened to the playlist for about 15 minutes and wow it really does help to calm things down.

hope everyone has a good day!!
Old 01-19-2022, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Awesome, LHW and Bodhi!

Active recovery takes so much effort, doesn’t it?

Im #ell bent on making this effort work forever, Queen Relapse is no longer even considered a guest in my head.

Heres a pic that a found on a very wonderful, now passed on poster named Ann. Thought it appropriate.

Old 01-19-2022, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that Free
Old 01-19-2022, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bodhi- I am now friends with only 3 people from my drinking life. 3. I had about a million "friends" who were happy to drink my money or let me get wasted or do dumb things together. We were all each others' excuses to drink, I think. Of course, we were such "great, close friends" because we had those "deep, meaningful" conversations. LOL. I don't miss those times and I don't miss those people. Many of them are still posting their big drinks and fun times on FB, and many of them no longer consider me a friend because they are not, and I know now, they never were. If I had not been a drunk, I NEVER would have associated with most of them- we had NOTHING in common except for one thing. As for the 3 people still around, they are my chosen FAMILY. They are plenty. I have other connections with people, but to have three close friends, to me, seems like a bounty. Don't feel inadequate if people can't keep up with you growing and changing. Quietly thank them for the role they filled in your life, and leave them behind. You will find your tribe, and the real friends will stick with you, like an octopus on your face, I think the saying is.

I'm glad to have all of you in my friend circle. Every day.
Old 01-19-2022, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This:⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️🤓❤️
Old 01-19-2022, 05:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

THIS:⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

Old 01-19-2022, 07:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Viking- wow thank you for all of that. I really needed to here that. ❤️

Free- love the quotes!
Old 01-20-2022, 04:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Free, the Jordan Peterson quote is GOLD. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 01-20-2022, 04:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey All,

I’m experiencing a lot of ups and downs this week. No urge to drink, but every once in a while I hear a whisper that the problem wasn’t that bad or it would be ok to have one. I’m just calling myself out on that. I’ve had points where I’m feeling really low and unmotivated and then there’s other where I feel more content. I’m definitely ruminating a lot and I’m trying to build new connections meaning I’m very focused on friendships right now. I do really value healthy loving friendship and im trying to be that friend to people that I want. It’s hard though because im figuring out some people don’t fit anymore and then I also feel guilty because I wasn’t a good friend for years when I was in the darkest place of drinking. I isolated myself, put on a fake facade everything was fine, and had outbursts. Also those same people weren’t reaching out to me to see how I was doing. So how good really were those friendships that probably wouldn’t exist if there wasn’t a group chat.

I feel pretty lame talking about trying to make friends and better connections.
Old 01-20-2022, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Bodhi, take the guilt out of your equation and look forward. You are doing ALL the right things, in time, the real friends will be revealed! It's like finding a mate- when you try the hardest, nothing happens and when you go out to the grocery in your sweats and slouchy hat- BOOM! Someone clicks. Be patient with yourself, our feelings are still kind of bouncing around and we are navigating the sober world still in the relatively early days. For sure, don't feel lame! If it's important to you, it's important to us.

Speaking of early day stuff, my memory was USELESS today. I do find that every once in a while, it just takes a powder on me, and I can look right at a person and not remember their name or I forget what I did just a few minutes ago. It's creepy and it would freak me out, except I know it's still part of recovery and that's my big symptom. I forgot that this happened in 2014- then I was rudely reminded a few times the in the past weeks. I had to go to the PAWS thread for some support- that was helpful. It's nice to never feel like we are alone in our weird journey, isn't it?

I'm going to bed early tonight and I'm so excited! Going to bed sober is one of life's greatest joys, I am completely convinced of this. Wishing you all a good night and a pleasant tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I couldn’t remember what the ceramic gizmo was that I put in the oven to toast garlic toast tonight!

Oven ceramic?
Dough baker?

Duh! It’s called a PIZZA STONE! 🤯🤪

Bodhi, thé rollercoaster ride of emotions is wild crazy, and sometimes scary.

I’m actively seeking new friendships, I don’t have as many as Viking. So we joined a local group for people over 50, (that’s who we snowshoed with on Saturday), and I’ve volunteered at the nearby theater as an usher, upon discussion with a member of the group on Saturday that I’m seeking friends for me, and us as a couple.

Consider it healthy that you are realizing all the things you are….. you are growing, and sometimes that’s uncomfortable.

BIG HUGS across the miles……..❤️🤓

Old 01-20-2022, 07:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Farfelle pasta with sautéed chicken breasts and portobello mushrooms in evoo, tossed with peas, the sauce I created was enhanced with corn starch rather than flour, garlic clove diced finely, and chicken broth, and fresh grated Parmesan cheese.

The garlic toast was heated on a PIZZA STONE. 😁. And sprinkled with smoked paprika
Old 01-22-2022, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Going snow shoeing today with a fairly new acquaintance, then continuing to pack for our trip to Telluride to ski with another couple that are good friends.

They drink heavily, hard stuff mostly, but they don’t get mean or weird, and since that isn’t my poison of choice, doesn’t bother me.

Keeping on the sober trail today as I snowshoe instead of ski.

Best to all,

​​​​​​​Free
Old 01-22-2022, 06:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

LOL. Pizza stone! Thanks for the commiseration, Free!! Doing better today, thank goodness.

No news to report, just wanted to say hello. Have a good Sat night, all!
Old 01-22-2022, 09:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Free, I love your update it sounds like quite the adventure and sounds quite similar to my day/evening.

Hey Viking hope you have a nice night as well!

I went to a tennis lesson with a fairly new acquaintance today and had lunch after. Later on my husband and I went to dinner with a couple and met up with the tennis pal and her fiancé. It was really nice. The couple likes to drink and at one point my friend ordered me a glass of wine which without skipping a beat I said no really I can’t have that I’ll turn into a monster. Really makes me proud 🥲