Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 4

Old 02-19-2020, 01:27 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ButterMarsh View Post
Hi everyone.

I've really liked catching up on all the posts and they'll give me something to think deeply about for a while.

It's 30 days for me today. I'm happy.

❤🤗

Old 02-19-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved Dexter. So much.
Enjoy dear DB. s ❤️
Old 02-19-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

The Breaking Bads were just played again and my wife and kid taped and watched them all. I watched a few with them. For some reason we missed the final one before, but saw it this time. Then that followup movie El Camino.

I guess the Better Call Sauls are about to start back.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:10 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Started El Camino but couldn't get into it for some reason.....adored Breaking Bad. Saw that marathon on tv the other day and smiled....figured lots of people would be loving that. : xx
Old 02-19-2020, 03:33 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 30 days ButterMarch
Old 02-19-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved Dexter. So much.
Enjoy dear DB. s ❤️
It’s definitely in my top favorites now! I just started season 3. I think I’ll watch Six Feet Under after this.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:35 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Best of luck Sober 45. Thinking of you.
Lixie, I understand the dilemma. I agree, finding a new job first may be first. Skyping together, and maintaining the closeness to your partner, is possible. In case there is a small delay finding work.
Daisy and Fishkiller. I hope both your spirits lift. You are doing something wonderful, and something to be proud of, as far as building sobriety. Lots to feel achievement for. Even in our down days.
BM Congrats on 30 days !
JR, really interesting. It feels our addictions are fed from both within and, in the case of booze, by a multi-billion dollar industry of lifestyle campaigns. It makes overcoming it so much more rewarding.

I am busy at work this week. Fortunately too tired, when I get back home from work, to think much about booze...

- The fact that I wrote that sentence about my sobriety, is a good sign. A few months ago, a night without drinking, no matter how fatigued, would be impossible. This battle is hard, every single day, but progress is slowly being made.

Have a healthy, happy and sober day. Thank you all for your posts.

dlb.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:49 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the congrats 😊.

Thanks also for the ideas on stuff to watch. I tried watching breaking bad years ago but couldn’t go past the 3rd episode 🤷🏽*♀️. I’ll give it another go. Dexter is not on Netflix yet I have a feeling it may be my kind of thing...

Alright, it’s midday here. Good morning, afternoon, night everyone! ❤️🤗
Old 02-20-2020, 02:51 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Good morning sober ones. Up a bit early here. Have a 2.5 hour drive to meet some new customers.

When phone alarm went off I was deeply asleep having one of my recurring dreams that I am back working for the big company and same boss I used to have. Always refreshing to wake up and realize it was just a dream.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:01 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

dlb, you've inspired me to take workout clothes as there is a planet fitness on the way home from my meeting. That one seems to have more machines and less people than my home gym. I still haven't mustered the mojo to go to the gym since my journey began 40 days ago.

BM, the breaking bads got more and more dark to me as they progressed, but we were already sucked into watching them the first time.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Good day all.

Hey Sober45, you and I, at 50 days today, are halfway to that century (100 dry days). You game to bring it home, and head for the millennium?

One day at a time, of course. Say, S45, I discovered another of your countrymen yesterday when thinking about my post here about those synonyms, advertising and brainwashing. Marshall McLuhan, author of The Medium is the Massage in (I think) 1967, hails from up your way. He wrote, as I vaguely recall, about how we humans both shape and are shaped by, for example, the TVs that grab our eyeballs, entertain us, and shape our consciousness at the same time. He would no doubt do backflips over the internet, with its nurturing of fragmented attention spans, so everyone ends up with ADHD, and we find it such a challenge to focus on one task, or to read a book, or have an extended one-on-one conversation that is not interrupted by the chirps and other distracting draws of the conversers' handheld devices.

Anyways, another Canadian, we were noting a few notable ones way back on our day 10 or so.

I'm on a roll on this brainwashing theme, and here, it seems to tie directly into my new sobriety. I think my memory is working noticeably better after these 7 weeks of sobriety (actually I noticed it towards the beginning). Yesterday a book title and author's name came to me that I hadn't thought about in decades:

The Hidden Persuaders, by Vance Packard. It was a bestseller way back when, exposing how Madison Avenue, meaning the advertising and market research industry writ large, employ certain techniques to manipulate our tastes and desires. A quick consultation with the google just showed me there is plenty of information quickly available there about the book and the author. As I said yesterday, I think it is helpful to be aware of how the media gods conspire to direct and control our desires, in order to give ourselves a fighting chance of standing up to their sophisticated mind-control methods.

Pic = Lotuses in the architecture, NYC, 16 Feb 2020

Old 02-20-2020, 04:50 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I haven’t posted very much on SR. I could use some positive thoughts my husband was let go Monday from a company he has been with for decades, we relocated about a year ago. I find it hard to meet people and find a job myself. I could use some good thoughts right now. Thanks
Old 02-20-2020, 05:37 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 Days buttermarsh!

bacchus, my body was feeling down yesterday but my spirit is still up! I managed to get stuff done just couldn't eat much. Back to meself today though so look out! lol

sober53 that's a tough break .
A while back my wife was let go from a job she devoted 20 years to. She was devastated but she has recovered and has been gainfully employed for all but a year right after she was let go.
Y'all will be ok. Keep on the sober bus and never give up! We are pulling for you.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:26 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober53 View Post
Hi everyone, I haven’t posted very much on SR. I could use some positive thoughts my husband was let go Monday from a company he has been with for decades, we relocated about a year ago. I find it hard to meet people and find a job myself. I could use some good thoughts right now. Thanks
I am really sorry to hear this love.
And I am sending every positive vibe and love and good wishes here....maybe your husband will find something else and absolutely we will support you in finding a job as well.

And sometimes, when it feels hard to meet people, applying for jobs and going on interviews is kind of good practice. And then you get a job, perhaps even part-time and you meet new friends. s ❤️
Old 02-20-2020, 06:49 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

sober45 and jr, congratulations on 50 days!!

Sober53, thinking of you and your husband through this difficult time.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Sober53, so sorry to hear about your situation. In 2015, my husband, who was an account manager for a major distributor (and the main breadwinner) became anxious and depressed over his work. He ended up quitting. The pressure was immense. I was floored by it all but I supported him and we got through it. Today, he works at completely different thing and makes considerably less but he enjoys what he does and looking back, I am so glad he quit and proud of myself that I mustered enough faith to give him the support he needed. And now here he is supporting me with this insane drinking habit. That's what a good marriage is. Through thick or thin. But unfortunately, sometimes the "thin" seems to go on forever!

Have trust in the future. Support him and know that whatever happens is for a reason and you'll come out better on the other end.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:39 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Jr! 50 days...i'm in it for the century. Only 4 more days and I'll have reached the longest period of sobriety EVER!!!

I already have the wiki page up for Mr. McLuhan...sounds like my kinda guy

Feeling pretty good because I found out this morning my bone density hasn't been compromised by all the drinking. I found out by taking a fall down the stairs leaving my house. There was ice on the steps. Got a few bruises but I'm good. The kids waiting for the bus had a good laugh! So happy I could entertain them...NOT!
Old 02-20-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

They should not have laughed.....
They should have come over to make sure you were OK... s
I am glad you are. s xx ❤️
Old 02-20-2020, 10:43 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Jr! 50 days...i'm in it for the century. Only 4 more days and I'll have reached the longest period of sobriety EVER!!!

I already have the wiki page up for Mr. McLuhan...sounds like my kinda guy

Feeling pretty good because I found out this morning my bone density hasn't been compromised by all the drinking. I found out by taking a fall down the stairs leaving my house. There was ice on the steps. Got a few bruises but I'm good. The kids waiting for the bus had a good laugh! So happy I could entertain them...NOT!
OK, S45, we're on for 100 days; I think it works out to April 11 (with 2 January 2020 being Day 1).

Preliminary congratulations on surpassing your 53-day sobriety record. Every day since our Day 31 has been a new record for me.

I guess that century commitment means I'll be telling peeps that I'm in a Dry March soon (so far, I've told them "Dry January," then "Dry February and we'll see after that," so next up, Dry March (I could say, "Dry Tax Season" to cover the period until our century-mark and beyond) (U.S. tax returns are due April 15). Pretty soon people will stop asking, I assume; most people are not really that interested; a few "problem drinker" friends may be especially curious, but for most others it's nbd.

That's good news about your bone density, but one might question the practicality of your investigatory technique.

I remember the time in high school, must have been winter in my junior year (before I had a car), I missed the school bus, saw it go by my house, so I ran in the icy slick streets around a couple of corners to where I knew the bus would be passing another bus stop in about 3 minutes. Sure enough, I had about 100 yards to go, running full speed, books and loose papers tucked under my arm, when the bus driver and all the students on the now-full bus could see me approaching so the bus waited for me and all eyes had to be on me.

What a great time for my feet so slip out from under me and cause me to high kick, the height would probably make a Radio City Rockette jealous (and with both legs!), and come crashing down somewhere on my sacroiliac, books and papers raining down around me.

Quite a show for the waiting multitudes on the bus. The driver continued to wait as I collected my possessions and myself (all of myself, that is, except my dignity, which was left, bruised but not broken I am happy to report, on that icy side street for the morning).

I got a round of applause as I staggered down the aisle of the bus, 15 shades of red.

I'm keeping on practicing posting photos, so here goes another:

[Edit: Lol I gotta work on my image resizing technique.]
Old 02-20-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Not sure if its desensitisation or just simply acceptance for me - but I can go anywhere and do anything with anyone now and not want to drink or miss it.

Its a great freedom
I really want to get like this Dee.
I don’t want to keep wanting to drink.
Because I can’t just have one. I never even wanted just one.
I drank to get drunk since I was 15. It’s not easy changing 35 years of a daily thing. Because I still want to drink, even though I don’t want to drink. If that makes sense. I just want to escape. But I have to figure out why I keep trying to run away from my life. I keep talking about going back to a counsellor but I still haven’t. And I threw away the antidepressant because they made me feel so sick. But I can’t seem to find my happy place when people and pets keep dying around me.

Sorry for the sad sack post.
Yesterday was just a total crap day.

But I’m taking this morning off to have coffee with my sister and have some downtime from work which has been totally nuts. I think I’ve just been too busy to process my feelings and gotten a bit overwhelmed again. So I need to slow down a bit. My Uncle and my cat passing away threw me for six and I need some space to process it, and I don’t think I’ve really dealt with Mum and Dad’s passing yet either.
So it’s back to the doc for a referral to a counsellor. And I’m going to do it today, not just think about it and keep putting it off