Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 2

Old 01-22-2020, 09:27 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Sobermafia,

If my experience is any guide, your gums will improve pretty quickly now that alcohol is no longer involved.

On the broader topic of anxiety, I agree with Cityboy and Fishkiller that ones state of mind seems to play a large role in physical well being. I have had a lot of success by incorporating a simple exercise routine into my "plan". Basically, just a combo of yoga, stretching and light weights. Helps my spinal mobility and strength (see above post on back/neck issues), but also goes a long way to helping my frame of mind. Mediation/mindfulness comes in many shapes and forms I guess.

Great job on Day 22.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:46 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Great job to everyone on their sobriety. Stay strong.

Finishing up the first month seems to be a rather tricky period. Withdrawal has passed and most folks are feeling a fair amount better. Mileage may vary, but it seems to be a spot where one really starts learning to stay sober by putting their expanding plan to the test. That is how I am trying to approaching things anyway.

Just finished Day 16 here so perhaps I am getting ahead of myself.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:39 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Morning / evening all! Great to see everyone sticking to the journey despite obstacles now and again. Well done!

I had some stressful and anxious periods during the last few days due to family things, but managed to get through them, despite the usual "I need a drink" coming into my head a few times. Also anger was directed at my OH at one point yesterday, and I was about to angrily blurt out "you are driving me to drink" when I checked myself and felt so ashamed I would even think of saying that! Nothing makes me want to drink except me.

I do find the mindfulness and meditation is having an effect on my thinking and helping me to step back when these emotions arise out of nowhere. Still have some way to go with the practice but it has definitely changed how I am coping this time. Starting day 23 and I can't remember going this long without alcohol for years, so very pleased with how things are progressing, considering the years of abuse my body is having to recover from.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:46 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Originally Posted by Patterson View Post
Hi Januarians!!!

24 days sober...I wish I could say I feel better, but I don't. I'm totally anxiety ridden as to whether I'm ever going to feel normal again. I saw one of the doctors at my clinic yesterday, just for refills and to check my stitches, she says I'll probably get a referral to a pain clinic. I'll know more on Monday when I see my own doctor.

Damned if I didn't get chronic pain just in time for an opiate epidemic that has shut the doors on pain relief... I've been taking loads of extra strength tylenol for almost a year now, it's not kind to your liver, and I can't take any NSAIDS because it will wreck my bone graft...

At least I'm sober right...lol
Hi Patterson
Also sorry to hear you are in constant pain. That is tough when trying to handle all the other things that come when trying to stop drinking.... but you are doing it and staying sober, so big well done to you!
I have a relative who suffers with chronic back and leg pain and has found one of those Tens Machines to be a game changer in pain relief!
Old 01-22-2020, 11:26 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Free at last!

Originally Posted by sobermafia View Post
Hi - Day 22 here. I'm doing okay mostly, but my health anxiety is a little off the charts as I'm concerned about my bleeding gums from binge drinking and my liver. I know I need to get to the Dr. and get a check up, and I will in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I'm trying to lose weight, brush my teeth three times a day, and hoping that my abstinence heals whatever damage I did. The bleeding gums are already getting better, but now I'm worried bout recession or a cavity LOL. ( I have to laugh at my self because I know how silly it is).

If anyone has any advice on how to put my anxiety at bay other than just going to the Dr., I'm open. I know you can't give medical advice, and I'm not asking for that. And yes, I have my dental check up in February too. I'm just worried about going to the Dr. and being shamed or yelled at for all the weight I gained, and my poor lifestyle choices.
Sobermafia I can't imagine that any medical professional would not say the best thing you have done for your health at this point in time is stop drinking, because it will make a difference to all the other issues you are worried about in the long term. So well done! The other things will right themselves in due time I am sure.

Apart from the meditation/mindfulness I keep banging on about, I also discovered last weekend Michael Sealey, an Australian hypnotist, who has a range of different recordings on Youtube covering various problems. I have been listening to a anxiety calming one, and whether you believe in this stuff or not, it is an hour every day of just being lulled into switching off and being calm, He also has the most relaxing voice I have heard in a long time! Now listening morning and evening! Hugs to you.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:51 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Good morning (4:20 a.m.). Just a brief check-in here.

Enjoyed a play last night. Pre-January 2 I woulda definitely bought one (possibly two) of those overpriced nip bottles of wine they sell in the lobby, that you can bring to your seat. Didn't buy it, didn't miss it.

Got 3.5 hours sleep. Once again it was a sound sleep, so I'll take it. The past few days I've taken a cat nap or two during the day and that has energized me enough to keep working.

Heading to my home-office desk by 6 a.m. Writing it down to remind myself when that hour comes around, so I can get to my worky work that puts a roof over my head.

I think I'm going to start a thread about a thing on my mind. Check it out. But if not, not.

Two nots?

Yes. That could mean:

I might not start the threat. Or if I do you might not check it out.

Or it could mean:

I might start the thread, but you still don't check it out.

Or maybe:

I do not start the thread, but you do check it out.

Or maybe more.

Two little words, so much potential.

But I'm tying myself in knots over this.

I hope I am not psychotic. But if so, so.

[Two so's? (Is that like, "You dirty, rotten little so-and-so?" Yes that is so, a little.) (Or it it like an SOS? Like, "Sendin' out an SOS for you, sendin' out an sos for you"? ) (Quiz: Who sang that?)]

But I digress. Where was I? Oh yes:

I hope I am not psychotic. But if so, so.

That could mean:

It is true (it is so) that I am not psychotic. And if that is the case, I (we) will have to live with that happy fact. This is something like, "It is what it is."

Or it could mean:

I am psychotic. And if that is the case, I (we) will have to live with that unhappy fact. This is something like, "It is what it is."

So then the question arises:

Who cares whether jr is psychotic or not? It doesn't seem to make much difference, It is what it is.

This is a conundrum (I think, but I'm too busy to look it up to make sure. Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Let's see what the google has to say: "Psychosis: a severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality."

Well, I am no R. D. Laing, but I know what I think, or so I think. So good. For today, at least, it is clear (I am clear) that jr is not psychotic. I'll take that. One day at a time.

Any questions?
Old 01-23-2020, 02:32 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

I avoided flu. Just a cold. In the past, I have actually drank or used weed when sick. My alcoholism isn't taking a back seat even for sickness. If only I could harness that determination for other areas of life...
Old 01-23-2020, 02:51 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Just back from the gym. Exercise is something I definitely neglected while drinking so it feels good to make progress
Old 01-23-2020, 03:01 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better soon WL
Old 01-23-2020, 04:33 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Hi all
Geenie , I think we started this on the same day.
Later in the year, when the calculations get more complicated, I am sure we will be using each other to keep track.

I also did't feel great yesterday, health wise. A few AV moments but I mostly just wanted bed. Today seems slightly better.

To contribute a bit with the previous posts. The damage to ourselves, our health, our work, our relationships, in my case, are things I feel have to take ownership for. The world I live in now, sober, is the one I screwed up while drunk.

The aftermath from having slid off the tracks makes it occasionally tough now and challenges my sobriety when my AV just wants to hide and say F' it. But I*wont* .
I like to think my better decisions now are slowly changing the world around me, hopefully building up trust and relationships again.

Just my 2 cents.
Have a safe, happy and sober day classmates

dlb

Last edited by dontlookbacchus; 01-23-2020 at 04:35 AM. Reason: edit
Old 01-23-2020, 05:59 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

I like to think my better decisions now are slowly changing the world around me, hopefully building up trust and relationships again.
I would bet any money that this is true dear dontlookbacchus. s xx
Old 01-23-2020, 06:01 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jr67 View Post
The quiz results are in:

Cityboy gets the prize for most creative almost-definitions.

Silversky nailed the century, a 100-mile bike ride.

And venuscat gets extra credit for the definition of googol cuz she figured out that it's spelled differently from google, which the quizmaker humbly admits he forgot, but then she cancels that out by letting the cat out of the bag that she googled to find the answer.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:03 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Good morning fellow travelers. It's good to be making progress with you all. I'm arriving at 20 days.

I had chills again last night and checked my temp and it was 101.6. Eeks. Felt pretty crummy again. It's my day off so I'll need to take it easy. I had lots of errands planned but some can wait.

I need to get back to my AVRT reading. I have let that slide in the last week and I'm sure the AV/Beast is very happy to see me "drifting" away from my studies. This has been the most crucial tool for me in getting & staying sober this time around.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrWolfie68 View Post
Great job to everyone on their sobriety. Stay strong.

Finishing up the first month seems to be a rather tricky period. Withdrawal has passed and most folks are feeling a fair amount better. Mileage may vary, but it seems to be a spot where one really starts learning to stay sober by putting their expanding plan to the test. That is how I am trying to approaching things anyway.

Just finished Day 16 here so perhaps I am getting ahead of myself.
Your posts are absolutely awesome MrWolfie. s xxxx ❤️
Old 01-23-2020, 06:05 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by silversky View Post
Good morning fellow travelers. It's good to be making progress with you all. I'm arriving at 20 days.

I had chills again last night and checked my temp and it was 101.6. Eeks. Felt pretty crummy again. It's my day off so I'll need to take it easy. I had lots of errands planned but some can wait.

I need to get back to my AVRT reading. I have let that slide in the last week and I'm sure the AV/Beast is very happy to see me "drifting" away from my studies. This has been the most crucial tool for me in getting & staying sober this time around.
I hope your fever goes away love and you have a good day. s ❤️
Old 01-23-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

You did RD Laing proud dear jr67.
That was a masterpiece.
And no, you are not.
And Police.

s xx ❤️

EDIT......seriously, how cool is this video...2008.....Sting just got better and better and better.
I saw them live around '85. Yes really.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dontlookbacchus View Post

The world I live in now, sober, is the one I screwed up while drunk.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

^^^ Yes, it really is. s xx
Old 01-23-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Good Morning, I am waking up to day 28! I am mostly into a sober routine. Now reaching for sparkling water at 5 instead of wine. I had been sleeping well, but the past few nights, the nightmares were back. The heart pounding can't get back to sleep kind. I've also had some anxiety this week . Nothing like the "I think I'm having heart attack and going to die" kind like I have having leading up to Christmas, and my decision to quit again, but, it creeps up and the mind starts up but, I've been able to distract myself and get on with my day. Hope everyone has a peaceful day.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:35 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Day 28 is sensational dear MaggieMay!!!! s ❤️