Notices

Class of January 2020 PART 2

Old 01-22-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I have a thought....why not challenge everyone you know to donate the money they would normally spend on booze for Australia Day to the Aussie Red Cross Fire Relief? Probably silly, but it just popped into my head. s ❤️

excellent idea. Best wishes.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:40 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hello dear OhioChrissy. s xx ❤️
Old 01-22-2020, 07:42 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
We had black stars, which were very hardy layers. Tried a half dozen turkey chicks, which all died during thunderstorms. Added on a dozen buffs and americaunas then the predators started. Raccoons, possums, birds of prey, even saw a balled eagle trying to get them one day. Eventually got them all, even that cranky rooster.

"We had a chicken.... "

And funny how we learned slightly different lyrics in Aus, well this was the way I learned it as a little kid in a Melbourne school.

We had a chicken
No eggs would she lay
We had a chicken
No eggs would she lay

My wife said honey, we're losing our money
Because that chicken won't lay

One day a rooster
Came into our yard
And caught that chicken
Right off of her guard

She's laying eggs now
Just like she used to
Ever since that rooster
Came into our yard
Old 01-22-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Welcome Sober53! I’m glad you found our group!

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Day 7! One whole week! Been up since 3:30am and went for a jog at 4am. Had some leftover chicken for breakfast.

Have a few small goals today

Apply for two jobs
Attend a 3 hour jobseeking course
Meditate for 30 minutes, don't have to be consecutive
Congrats on week 1! Best wishes with the job applications. Do you find meditation to come naturally to you? I’ve tried before, but haven’t been successful. Do you have any tips/tricks?

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Woke up at 4 am and rolled over saying to myself I should go back to sleep or this is gonna be a long day.
Well I hit the hay at 9pm so 7 hours of straight uninterrupted sleep.
Laid there and realized sleep was not coming. I'm awake.

As I laid there getting my bearings before I rise I suddenly had this, I don't know what to call it, vision maybe? I don't know how else to describe it.
I saw my life as a sober person. Kind of picturing activities I associate with drinking but doing them sober. Picturing sober people and how they live there life and how much I want to be like them instead of the usual thoughts of "normal" drinkers and "why can't I be like them?"
Thinking of how damn good I feel at 4am!

I've got to do this.

Oh sorry, Good Morning Class!
I love this! I think it’s important to envision things like this so that we don’t get stuck on past memories.

venuscat, I love your donation idea!

Good morning everyone! Not much going on here. I’ve been journaling about how I started drinking alcohol (32 years ago). I started 2nd semester of college, and a lot of really bad things happened that semester, which reminded me of a lot of really bad things that happened in the years that followed. It’s been hard to visit those feelings because I always used alcohol to push them away. It has been cathartic to get everything out.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

It is very cathartic to get it out....and then forgive yourself.
None of us are that person anymore. s ❤️
Old 01-22-2020, 08:37 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I have Australian food in America, so it may not be as far a trip as you would have thought. I moved here almost 3 years ago to marry an SR. I am in German Village Columbus OH....it is beautiful here. s xx
ahh, not as far as I thought it in NY, lots of food but haven’t found any Australian food in the city yet. I can imagine it’s beautiful! I do miss nature and the suburbs, although there’s Central Park, which is nice. How is your day going? just got up and am planning on staying home and seeing a friend, still too tired to do much else lol
Old 01-22-2020, 08:58 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hi - Day 22 here. I'm doing okay mostly, but my health anxiety is a little off the charts as I'm concerned about my bleeding gums from binge drinking and my liver. I know I need to get to the Dr. and get a check up, and I will in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I'm trying to lose weight, brush my teeth three times a day, and hoping that my abstinence heals whatever damage I did. The bleeding gums are already getting better, but now I'm worried bout recession or a cavity LOL. ( I have to laugh at my self because I know how silly it is).

If anyone has any advice on how to put my anxiety at bay other than just going to the Dr., I'm open. I know you can't give medical advice, and I'm not asking for that. And yes, I have my dental check up in February too. I'm just worried about going to the Dr. and being shamed or yelled at for all the weight I gained, and my poor lifestyle choices.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:03 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Oh you are new to NY SS.

New Yorkers are my people.....lots of passion and pace. And Central Park alone is a reason to move there if you ask me.

You can get tons of Aus food on Amazon and there are a few fantastic online sites that are Aussie food all the way. I have Aussie meat pies here now....so good....maybe shepherd's pie for dinner tonight....mmmm.

My day is a bit stressful...but kicking goals. Need to eat something and I have a very sore mouth from dental stuff.....this too shall pass. Yogurt here I come. (And the brand is Noosa and it is made by Aussies in America ).
Old 01-22-2020, 09:13 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobermafia View Post
Hi - Day 22 here. I'm doing okay mostly, but my health anxiety is a little off the charts as I'm concerned about my bleeding gums from binge drinking and my liver. I know I need to get to the Dr. and get a check up, and I will in a couple of weeks. Meanwhile, I'm trying to lose weight, brush my teeth three times a day, and hoping that my abstinence heals whatever damage I did. The bleeding gums are already getting better, but now I'm worried bout recession or a cavity LOL. ( I have to laugh at my self because I know how silly it is).

If anyone has any advice on how to put my anxiety at bay other than just going to the Dr., I'm open. I know you can't give medical advice, and I'm not asking for that. And yes, I have my dental check up in February too. I'm just worried about going to the Dr. and being shamed or yelled at for all the weight I gained, and my poor lifestyle choices.
Oh love, I do....big time. This was me ALL the way. s

First of all, I might stop brushing my teeth three times a day....it could be too much pressure on sore gums. And perhaps get a gentle toothbrush head. I use an electric, and have a gentle brush head for when my gums are sore.

The next thing is gargling with warm salt water...put a little salt in boiling water, mix it and add enough cold water so it is comfortable to swish in your mouth.....these are steps you can take before your dental check up that might well help.

You are doing everything right....everything. Your body is absolutely healing and the weight will all come off, and your mouth will feel healthy again. Cos you are wise and go to the dentist regularly unlike idiot me. (Past tense, this is now my past fear/avoidance issue).

Our livers heal. For sure it is important to get checked out when you can....you will when you are ready I am sure.

It is going to be alright....all of it....you are getting stronger every day. You all are. s xxxxx

PS.....No doctor is going to shame you love. This is now a recognised illness, and I can only imagine the doctor commending you for making the decision to stop drinking and taking the bull by the horns. That is super-awesome. I am sure he /she will only encourage you and help you to get to the healthiest you you can be.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:21 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Yes, I dread the weigh in at doc's office. I'm with you on the anxiety of that as well as damage from drinking. It seems so weird that anxiety of drinking issues was contributing to my drinking problem.

My gums were messed up from repeatedly crashing the dang desert and chocolates bar at MILs over Christmas. Put off my January checkup until March so I wouldn't have to hear it from the hygienist.

I've had a chronic cramp-like pain in my left side that has been nearly continuous for two years or so. It's been completely gone without a trace since I came here and spilled my guts out a few days ago I think that stress and anxiety can have a powerful influence on physical health.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I WILL NOT be weighed at the doctor's office.
I have been fired by one doc and fired another.
What I need is an Aussie doctor....hmmm.....maybe I can find one.

And my new dentist is lovely, and everyone there is lovely. And they did not force me to do anything I didn't feel comfortable with or make me feel bad....this is kind of shameful but I had not been to the dentist in 25 years. I am a huge flosser and cleaner and such, and my teeth look fine, but I have done mega damage. It's going to take a long time and a lot of procedures to fix.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:42 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Oh love, I do....big time. This was me ALL the way. s

First of all, I might stop brushing my teeth three times a day....it could be too much pressure on sore gums. And perhaps get a gentle toothbrush head. I use an electric, and have a gentle brush head for when my gums are sore.

The next thing is gargling with warm salt water...put a little salt in boiling water, mix it and add enough cold water so it is comfortable to swish in your mouth.....these are steps you can take before your dental check up that might well help.

You are doing everything right....everything. Your body is absolutely healing and the weight will all come off, and your mouth will feel healthy again. Cos you are wise and go to the dentist regularly unlike idiot me. (Past tense, this is now my past fear/avoidance issue).

Our livers heal. For sure it is important to get checked out when you can....you will when you are ready I am sure.

It is going to be alright....all of it....you are getting stronger every day. You all are. s xxxxx

PS.....No doctor is going to shame you love. This is now a recognised illness, and I can only imagine the doctor commending you for making the decision to stop drinking and taking the bull by the horns. That is super-awesome. I am sure he /she will only encourage you and help you to get to the healthiest you you can be.
Thanks! I do have an electric toothbrush and a water pik and have spent an embarrassing amount of money on mouthwashes the last couple of weeks and supplements. I will try the salt water thing!

Just hearing from you and others that I am not alone in this health anxiety is a huge help, so thanks to you, and to Cityboy, and the other person who replied that I can't think of right now.

Funny/ironic/sad that I didn't give my health much thought when I was numbing myself with 2 bottles of wine a night. I guess I'm making up for it now, but going off the deep end.

As far as shame, my weight has been an up and down thing, and for some reason, my OB Gyn loves to comment on it. I feel awful enough about it. It make it hat much worse when they go in about the health risks of being obese etc.

Again, thank you. Your compassion means so much.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Gosh, sounds like your OB-GYN might want to develop a better bedside manner. xx
Old 01-22-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Again, thank you. Your compassion means so much.
Group hug!
Old 01-22-2020, 09:53 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Gosh, sounds like your OB-GYN might want to develop a better bedside manner. xx
I know right? And she's not exactly thin either!
Old 01-22-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Oh you are new to NY SS.

New Yorkers are my people.....lots of passion and pace. And Central Park alone is a reason to move there if you ask me.

You can get tons of Aus food on Amazon and there are a few fantastic online sites that are Aussie food all the way. I have Aussie meat pies here now....so good....maybe shepherd's pie for dinner tonight....mmmm.

My day is a bit stressful...but kicking goals. Need to eat something and I have a very sore mouth from dental stuff.....this too shall pass. Yogurt here I come. (And the brand is Noosa and it is made by Aussies in America ).
Been living in NY a little while now but never really did much exploring of the city, until now lol. I do love Central Park, great for photo. Ohh cool! Thanks, will have to take a look on Amazon. Shepherd‘s pie sounds very yummy. When I have my appetite back I’ll have to try it.

aww sorry to hear it’s stressful, glad your kicking goals! aww dental stuff sucks, but Yes this too shall pass, enjoy some yummy yogurt, I might have some as well.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:10 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DaisyBelle7 View Post

Congrats on week 1! Best wishes with the job applications. Do you find meditation to come naturally to you? I’ve tried before, but haven’t been successful. Do you have any tips/tricks?
I used to be able to meditate for forty five consecutive minutes. To get to that point I had to start at five minutes and slowly work up.

Now that I'm out of practice for a few years I'm starting small again with ten minute meditations

I pretty much just focus on my breath, close my eyes and let my thoughts come and go without engaging any of them.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:17 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

I know right? And she's not exactly thin either!
Old 01-22-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

sobermafia, I can relate. I’m embarrassed to say that I haven’t been to the dentist in 4 years. I’ve had some traumatic dental experiences. I know I need to go. I have my annual physical next week. I’m going to ask them NOT to tell me my weight. Last year I went from 180 lbs, down to 135, and the last time I weighed myself I was pushing 160. I can relate to the roller coaster. I don’t think we need that added stress at this point in our recovery. I’ve been eating sugar like there’s no tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

freedomfries, that’s really impressive! I’ll have to give it a try again. I’ve heard wonderful things about meditation.