Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomer's Daily Support Threads
Reload this Page >

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread

Notices

All in all, Rome wasn't built in a day, eh? kk1k5x accountability thread

Old 12-20-2019, 01:58 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Yep.

My car is 20 years old. Natural disaster would be 100% covered but the insurance would only give me $3000-$6000 dollars for it I think. I couldn't buy as nice a car for that. It has just over 100,000 miles on it and runs perfectly...body is in excellent shape. I'd hate for something to happen to it when I could easily avoid it.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:01 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

I'll have my fingers crossed that all will be well
Old 12-21-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on the lecture kk and the extended tuition and good luck with the paid work. I would find giving a lecture very stressful. I have given a couple of talks on behalf the ISO about safety requirements and standardisation and they were nerve wracking enough.

I believe you live near a forest bim, mudslides are rare as long as the trees are not cut down. They even contain the worst of any flooding.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Congratulations on the lecture kk and the extended tuition and good luck with the paid work. I would find giving a lecture very stressful. I have given a couple of talks on behalf the ISO about safety requirements and standardisation and they were nerve wracking enough.

I believe you live near a forest bim, mudslides are rare as long as the trees are not cut down. They even contain the worst of any flooding.
Well, there is a lot of new construction on the hillsides that's never been there before. So the trees are recently gone and our property already flooded once due to insufficient construction water retention/mitigation. There's been a lot of instability and this is a huge amount of water.

You make me laugh, Mr. Big City Flatland Dweller. Do a search for "Seattle landslides" recently on Youtube.

~Signed, Rolling Hills Rain Forest
Old 12-21-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Thanks for staying on point folks :P haha and thanks Sao for the good wishes.

The small talk/lecture that I was offered will very likely feel like doomsday to me. But it's part of the field I want to be in. So I must become at least adequate at it. I should believe in the strength of my work before the talk and summon the fortitude from there. At least now I won't be hungover as hell and poorly prepared. Those were awful days - even speaking in front of a small group of fellow students threw me off. That's that alkie anxiety right there combined with a general discomfort in crowds and/or in front of them.

Today was grandpa's 77th birthday, I went to the city with my mother to congratulate him. I'll keep it brief and just say that I've never in my life understood why family get-togethers always are made into super stressful things, when you could just like pitch in 5 euros each, get something readymade for everyone and just chill out - instead of the usualy poopstorm of arguing and fukfoonery.

I had pizza today, after I got back from the get-together. I just needed to leave that place, because I can't stand arguing and I can only try to be the funny man and lift others' spirits for a couple of hours max under those circumstances.

Right now I'm gearing up for bed. I have a specific quantity of research I want to get done tomorrow. On Monday I'll know whether there'll be some translation or it's home free with the research until end-of-year.

End of Day 222. I did not drink today.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:59 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, there is a lot of new construction on the hillsides that's never been there before. So the trees are recently gone and our property already flooded once due to insufficient construction water retention/mitigation.
Oh, that'll do it, you are definitely at greater risk. I can send you a life belt?

London's flood risk is caused not so much by rainfall but the wind and the Moon causing hight tides. They built this to prevent them

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Barrier

Happy Birthday to your grandad kk. Family get togethers are tolerable as long as they are no more than twice a year MAXIMUM.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:35 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

I agree Sao. But sometimes even those few occasions seem like they could be 'better organised' to lessen the stress.

It was mostly a quiet day today. I took a very long nap in the afternoon, because the general feeling of things seems to have required it.

In the morning, I went and did most of the Christmas food shopping with dear mother. To some extent, I was the pack mule :P Our fridge now has lots of goodies hidden within and I am very grateful for it. At one point, of course, the question of "are we getting too much?" popped up. Most of the stuff we can freeze and we always make the best use of any leftovers, so I am not worried about wasting food simply because the eyes want more than a stomach can handle. I got different meats, we got a great bean salad from grandma (and made piri piri chicken along with that tonight - Waitrose's piri piri herb mix is pretty good, I must say, it was another gift from my UK friend together with the book I mentioned before. I really appreciate practical gifts and thus any food enchancing/creating ingredients are always practical in my book since I like cooking), my cranberry juice drink + mineral water, some sweets, something for easy snacks. I should probably post about the cream cheese spread I make ...can't remember if I've done that already, but I think it would be worth a post in this season of holidays, because it's good and I can't remember where I got it from initially.

Afternoon was napping mostly. My hockey team pulled out a shootout victory after a high-scoring game, so that was nice watching.

In the evening, since I promised I'd do some research, I just fired up the ol' big computer and did just that. Not for nothing, but posting about doing something on SR has an added effect for me in terms of feeling more obligated to do that thing. Some interesting discussions came out of today's portion (which was a bit more than 1% of the entire mass). I can feel a tingle starting in my fingers. It'll be writing time soon because whenever it tingles, it soon writes.

Tomorrow I will know whether the long translation is happening. If it is, that would be good - because the extra money would be a positive. If not, also okay - that way I can hit my research goals faster.

I love that feeling of my fingers itching for some writing. It's a sign I've come to recognise over the past few projects. Things that happen once the tingle starts usually end up finished. It's like some sort of specific writing related sensation that comes over me and helps me deal with the inevitable writer's block that accompanies each and every writing project at some point in time.

Anyways, today was quiet but all in all good. The research work in the end there also made it somewhat productive

End of Day 223. I did not drink today.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Today wasn't what I'd call a great one. I woke up tired. Over the course of the day that initial sluggishness evolved into a headache. Then I fell asleep and only woke up in the evening.
Somewhere along the way I got 30+ pages of work, deadline 31st. The schedule is far from back-breaking. Especially if I could muster up some energy and do it. The topic wasn't super clear for me, so I spent a couple of hours this evening translating the first few pages, reading and familiarising myself with the topic. I think I managed to make the more important things clear to myself, which makes the translation mostly about stamina.

Since this means I will have to pause the research, I don't know how I will manage that time-wise moving forward. It's already crunch and stoppages during crunch time make things ... uncomfortable, sometimes unpredictable in terms of final outcome. I must find some way to balance the two and get it done (i.e. certainly get the translation done and also manage as much as possible with the research data).

I have my work cut out for me until the week's end, that's for sure.

Just took some ibuprofen and now going to sleep. This entire past week my sleep has been awful: inconsistent, lots of middle-of-the-night wake-ups and bathroom trips and I've woken up tired in the morning almost without exception. Ugh.

End of Day 224. I did not drink today.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:58 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the next few days will be better for you - balance wise and work wise

D
Old 12-24-2019, 11:11 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  
saoutchik

All the best kk.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Hi Kk, where I live in the UK, it's Christmas Eve, people seem to celebrate it, mostly whatever their religious persuasion, or even none! It's simply a ritual. So on that note (and I do hope I don't offend you) I'll wish you a Peaceful Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Old 12-24-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, Sao and Tatsy I'm very grateful for all the good wishes and wish you the same and more. (I'm only slightly offended, Tatsy, as in "how dare you wish me well!? haha, just jokes). If we could get Bim to join us, we could take our kk1k5x SR family Christmas photo!

It was a choppy sleep once again, but no matter. Yesterday's translation prep helped because over the course of the day, I managed to get 15% of the work done and it wasn't particularly time consuming.

Also, for the first time in at least 5-6 years, I got a Christmas gift from someone other than my family It's that computer game Disco Elysium (it originates from a company established by Estonians, won some big awards this year - think it was even featured in TIME magazine?). Super happy about that! But cannot play it as of now, since it would derail all of my work

The Christmas Eve dinner was ribs (the ones I tested out a while ago ), mashed potatoes and red beet-garlic salad. Mash also got some of those rib cooking juices. It was an absolutely epic meal but well within reason in terms of portions.

The evening is quiet, my mother is onto Round 2 with homemade jellied meat and pate and mustard haha. Gave her the harddrive from my TV, so she's now watcing Rocketman.

Sobriety has brought peace into this home. No big arguments, no "maybe have just one or two, not 8", no hangovers and no unfinished important tasks.

I am extremely grateful for everyone who took the time this year to post in my threads, offer insights and support and provide a healthy influx of general banter. It's all made an immeasurable contribution to my staying sober and building a sober life.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

End of Day 225. I did not drink today.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Administrator

merry christmas kk1k

D
Old 12-25-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Thanks and once more to you, Dee! And everyone who is tuning in

Took the compulsory Christmas Day off today. Just kept busy with nothing, watched some interesting documentaries and had small bite-size goodies ...whenever I felt like it truth be told. Now with a decent roast and salad dinner in me, I will watch something on TV again and close this day of recuperation.

I let myself be without guilt today for resting. However, with today, this current holiday session comes to a close. When I wake up tomorrow, it will just be a regular work day. We had plans to maybe go to Latvia on Friday with some of our family, but now I'm thinking it might be more reasonable for me to stay put and work.

In any case, I have a dinner planned for Sat with my friend from the UK who came here for the holidays to spend time with her family.

I'll see about Friday. Maybe I'll make enough progress tomorrow to fully justify an extra day out-and-about Gotta admit, my main goal for Latvia is the cheap bacon they sell haha.

Hope everyone is enjoying their holidays!

End of Day 226. I did not drink today.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

So today was slow again. Honestly, I feel like I'm a bit burnt out, although I cannot exactly pinpoint the 'why' of it.
To try and describe the sensation, it feels as if I am missing a decent rest. A time where I actually don't have to do Anything (work, research etc) or really think about Anything work or research related. I also know that this is currently impossible with everything going on. First chance for this might be start of Feb when the first manuscript is due.

Tomorrow's trip is definitely not happening for me, because I need to work as best I can, because it really is slow going. Since I took 25th off (but apparently it had little effect in terms of recuperation), over the three full days I have only managed to get 25% of the translation done. Under normal circumstances, it would have to be almost completed by now :/

I got to play some computer games for a short while. This actually lifted my spirits a bit, so I have been working again.

Although this is a bit troubling, because a computer game (a 'shooter') is a rush and I'm not too sure about riding the effects of a rush from an activity...sounds too addict-y truth be told.

End of Day 227. I did not drink today.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
saoutchik

All the best kk, I will read the thread thoroughly when I have a bit more time tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Hope you've had a great holiday Sao

I'll keep tonight's post brief. I realised Witcher season 1 is out. I love series like this (as has been discussed at some length on this thread hehe).

The bacon from Latvia is now safely in my fridge, to be consumed post-haste :p

Tomorrow I'll be having dinner with my friend from the UK. Will be good to see her and catch up.

Back to the series now

End of Day 228. I did not drink today.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:40 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Administrator

You know yourself better than I do kk1k but for what it's worth I played Wolfenstein 3D a lot getting sober (only game I had) & it didn't make me want to drink.

Life would be pretty sad without endorphins

D
Old 12-28-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks ok, I did but I am stricken with a cold or flu right now. Most unfair being sick on my days off. It is against the laws of thermodynamics. Probably.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:59 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

I am sorry to hear that Sao and I hope you feel better soon Agreed that being ill on days off is a grave injustice. Makes one go "maaan, I just got these days ... oh come on".

I'll start with the positives. Slept better tonight, i.e. fewer interruptions in my sleep and woke up quite late (also went to sleep late). Initially I felt somewhat sluggish and like I didn't want to go to lunch - this is fairly usual for me. All plans seem great when I make them, but when the time comes to do them and I haven't been feeling 100% recently, then some primal laziness monster wakes up in the back of my brain and starts suggesting I skip it. Of course I wouldn't miss lunch with my friend and it was a very good time. She had been on a bit of a holiday bender whilst in the country and looked somewhat tired. Guess it was good to be having lunch with her completely sober friend who knows everything about booze-related tiredness :P The food was good and I got back home in good time.

Now the negatives. This current translation is driving me up the wall, I swear. Firstly, it now seems that I should not have accepted this work, because I clearly do not want to do it. Every segment I translate is an internal fight. All of this is certainly not helped by the fact that the original text is very poor quality language-wise. In turn, this causes ample confusion about certaing meanings, whether they use terms consistently etc. Of course, that only exacerbates the frustration and I make very little progress. I'm also somewhat angry at myself for 'not doing more of it earlier'.

Basically, my holiday season has been neither rest or decent work, but some creepy mutant of the two, where I'm always half-working (whether actually translating or worrying about translating) and never rested, because sleep has been poor and there's no sense of achievement in the current work. In conclusion, everytime I've picked the translation back up, it almost instantly kills whatever good mood I had attained from other sources.

I still have 2 more days to go with it and whilst completing it won't be a time issue, it'll take all the energy I have. Once a form of resentment sets in, it's somehow twice as difficult to stay focussed and get everything done correctly. If you add the other issues (poor language, difficult subject etc), the resentment gets amplified even more.

Ugh. I had a good day with my friend and put in effort with the work, but I still feel deflated at the end of the night. This feeling sucks.

End of Day 229. I did not drink today.