Notices

Class of July 2019 Part 4

Old 11-07-2019, 08:44 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

It is always nice to be home Charon. It is were my 'normal' is.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Got unpacked yesterday. Good session with my therapist. Gloomy, rainy yesterday and it was still great being home. Sunny today and after I water the orchids I'm chomping at the bit to get out and handle the leaves.

Realistically I'm thinking it's not if I dive again, but where and under what conditions. It's going to take time to setermine those things but it's heading into winter here and I'm tired of being away from home, so travel isn't appealing. Maybe some local dives this summer and travel next October.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:52 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

That sounds good, re the diving. s ❤️
Old 11-09-2019, 05:47 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Well, lots outside to do. Leaves, of course, and get all the canoes and kayaks in their places (Mrs. C collects them). Once that is done I can get the barn stalls set straight so MC can park inside and the snow equipment is ready to roll and all the rest of the machines are in their storage places. Sometime I need to shop for a winter coat. 16°F here overnight. Oh well. Work first.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Your lots to do sounds kind of nice Charon. 16 degrees Fahrenheit very chilly though!
Old 11-10-2019, 05:43 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Morning.

Who would think it would take 2 full days to replace a cell phone. Ended up back at the Verizon store yesterday after spending all morning on the phone with technical support. Finally got an acceptable flip phone. What a rip off. They no longer allow my previous plan - new plan is 4 to 8 times more expensive and the phone itself was 15 times more expensive than the last one I bought - for a flip phone??? Oh well, I have one that works. It's probably good I snorkeled with my old one. After December 31st it would have quit working anyway. This way I avoided a probably rush to upgrade. I the scheme of things it's all pretty trivial, but still glad it's a sorted out.

Lot of outside work today that didn't get done because of the phone debacle. It's supposed to be a bit warmer. I have two major tasks that I really want to get done and a third that would be great to get out of the way. The weather turns crappy for four days and then a single day when it's not raining or below freezing. Winter has come early here.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Here too dear Charon. s
Also just one nice day today in Columbus OH. (12C Aussies....that's the best we are going to get in the next weeks....). I would love to get the outside plant lights fixed....lots of them need battery changes.

Yeah....I have a major issue with Verizon. I am trying to get my husband to go pre-paid but he likes the insurance.....it is nuts....their phone plans are ludicrously expensive. I use the other big one and pay 40 a month, tons of data and I always have service.

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday.....you too Lucinda. s

And how is Back? s xx
Old 11-11-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Morning.

Went full tilt boogie yesterday and finished all the leaves everywhere. Also got the canoes & kayaks hung and re-tilled the new patch for rasberries. We now have 4 piles of shredded leaves - three of them seriously huge. I have to mow a small strip between the house and drive today that I was too tired to do yesterday. Maybe five minutes of work. After that I'm taking the rest of the day to relax and play with my new phone. I like to have a unique ringtone for everyone. That way I know who is calling and when the general ringtone goes off I know it's no one I know and is most probably bogus. F2F tonight.

Hope everyone has an easy time of it today and finds something to ring their chimes along the way.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I play with the ringtones on my phone as well....I like to choose all of my SMS, email, notification, system tones.....etc....and I have a really groovy theme.

What happens to all of the shredded leaves Charon? I am wondering. s ❤️
Old 11-12-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Morning.

All the shredded leaves decompose. I turn them to mix them up once or twice a year and over time they turn into rich compost which goes into the garden. The soil in the garden started as sand - virtually beach sand. Now I have decent soil. I'm hoping that in a few more years I'll have very fertile soil. It's good now but I'd like to get it really rich. Also, some of the shredded leaves go for mulch to keep weeds down in the veg and flower gardens.

Snow on the ground this morning. Just a light covering. In time it will melt but for today I've stuff inside to care for.

Good F2F last night. Hope everone has a great day and few temptations.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

We have inches of snow covering everything.

And thank you for explaining that....that is excellent. ❤️
Old 11-13-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Morning.

Today I'm going to clear and re-configure the first barn stall so Mrs. can park her car there. Weather has turned winter and she has heavy frost to scrape in the morning if she's headed out. I used to park in the second stall but found that having the snow clearing machines at the front, ready to go at the door is more handy now that I'm retired. I avoid needing to go out first thing as much as I can.

Wishing you all a fine and wonder filled day.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:50 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone's doing well

D
Old 11-14-2019, 05:45 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Morning.

Got both barn stalls cleared and ready for winter. It didn't take as long as usual. Having left several kayaks on the ground there wasn't room for a lot of things to accumulate like they usually do. Once they were hung, there wasn't the usual clutter to work through. I have to remember that trick.

F2F last night was back to being less than useful. The annoying twit that thinks she's the assistant facilitator was at her patronizing top form. I'm pretty sure I'll drop out of that one and just continue with my monday and thursday meetings. I really feel that I am beyond going back to drinking. I felt that way before my trip. After the experience, I can see nothing that would drive me to again poison myself. I have developed a reall taste for good coffee though. A much less harmful craving, and one that does not get the better of me. It's easy to control and to say no to if I feel I've had enough.

I have to say I've become a bit OCD about brewing it though. I don't grind for every cup - I'll grind a week or two supply at a time. But I have a specific amount of two different coffee's that I use - carefully measured with measuring spoons and exactly level. Water has to be vigerously boiling, and when I pour it through the ground coffee I start a timer for 3 minutes. I arrived at this ritual by experimentation and it consistantly great.

Hoping that life gives everyone a break today and provides something to wow them.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:56 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Must be nice to feel you are beyond drinking alcohol and to have developed a taste for another drink. Caffeine has multiple properties and you seem to have become an expert.

I wish I could say the same. As others are reporting, my entry in the 5th month is not easy. I was blaming the full (or almost? full) moon yesterday. Even sleeping my heart beat rate has gone back to pre-sober times. I had all kind of thoughts about drinking yesterday.

I went for a run, cooked special meal for kids and myself. Then did some stretching routine and finally went very early to bed listening to a book. I have been a bit restless all week, but yesterday night was particularly bad.

I also quit smoking 2 and a half month ago and for the first time since I quit, I seriously considered buying cigarettes. My mental excuse was that, since I was craving alcohol so much, giving in another craving would help. I know full well that a main reason to quit smoking was sobriety. Cigarettes make me crave alcohol more.

Anyway, I survided. About 2 pm on my side of the world. My anxiety is pretty strong and I am ready for cravings to hit again. I won't give up. I may start drinking coffee Charon.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:41 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Coffee and anxiety....hmmm.....maybe decaf love. s

The full moon messes me about as well....I end up wondering what (exactly) is wrong.

It sounds like you did awesomely well yesterday....look at all of that self-care and love. I think we keep these successful days in our head and they become our tools....next time you wonder how you will get through the day sober, you have these images and memories in your head....you KNOW you can do it.

And no matter what, waking up without a hangover is priceless. So pat yourself on the back love. s xx
Old 11-14-2019, 07:02 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Thank you Venus. You are so right. I did look after myself. I was restless and really unsettled with the many thoughts coming and going, the endless debate with the winewitch, etc. but I did look after myself and it worked!

Very obvious but I did not see it from that angle. Self-care is so important, particularly when you are so close to inflicting harm.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Morning.

Just thought of this. Here's a link to the SMART tools that are designed to get you through urges & cravings. https://www.smartrecovery.org/smart-recovery-toolbox/ I've found them to be very useful. Also, I use the SMART forums everyday to check in and the other areas are a big help too. https://www.smartrecovery.org/community/ You might find it worth a try.

I'm going through a phase (at least I hope it's a phase). I'm sleeping more than I'm awake these days. I'm getting things done but I feel ready to go back to bed as soon as I'm up. I take a 2+ hour nap after lunch, nap after dinner, and nap before I go to bed. Don't know if it's a result of the near fatality, the change in seasons and time, or something else. Today I halved the dose of my anti-depressant (Dr. said it was OK). to see if that might have some effect. Since I quit drinking, depression hasn't been evident. I also want to follow my pulse rate to see if the BP meds might be too strong. The only good thing to come out of all the naps is that I now do the arm & leg exercise bike after my after lunch nap.

Mrs. is forcing me to go winter coat shopping today. If she didn't drag me I'd not go on my own. She also suggested that I pick a day each week to make somethig special. This friday I'm cooking beef braciole. Sometime soon I need to take a day and make nutrolls. That's an all day adventure.

Hoping the urges & cravings give way to much healthier thoughts.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:22 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

It sounds like you have some good ideas to check re the sleeping a lot dear Charon....the anti-d might be affecting you for sure, really glad you talk to your doctor about everything. s xx
Old 11-17-2019, 06:56 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Ended up with two winter coats. One for good and one to wear out working in the cold. Ended up with a marathon of errands before we got home. On the way the car seemed to be getting louder and louder. Once home I had Mrs gun the engine while I looked under. Didn't see any vapor escaping. Went behind the car to look at the muffler. When I grabbed the tailpipe I found the muffler hanging free.

Going to jack the car up and take a look once it warms up a bit, but I'll call the garage first thing tomorrow to have them do a proper fix.. Hope they can get it done by wednesday. My daughter needs to borrow mine while they put winter tires on her's. We'll make the exchange wednesday after she gets out of work and drop her car, tires, & rims off wed to be worked on thursday. I'll do a temporary fix if I can today, just in case they can't get my exhaust fixed by wed afternoon.

Hope everyone is making it through the weekend easily and finding things to inspire.