Notices

Class of July 2019 Part 4

Old 03-23-2020, 04:04 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Charon

I'm spread a little thin at the moment - I expect others are too.

How are things in your neck of the woods?

D
Old 03-24-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

I miss Lucinda too Charon....maybe she will post soon.
I am just happy that you post every day and let us know how your life is....I love reading your posts. Just saying.

I am hoping for sunshine today to finally get the yard in order. I have so many plants to place, and loads of cleaning up to do. Then I shal buy new plants online: thankfully I am very skilled at that.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:07 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Morning.

Still have to do a little grinding on the catch to get it to close perfectly but here it is - macassar ebony sides, panga-panga bottom, and an Australian burl top:

Old 03-24-2020, 07:57 AM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Wow love.....just magnificent craftsmanship
Can we see the bottom as well? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 03-24-2020, 03:22 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looks great Charon

hope you get that sun soon Suze

D
Old 03-25-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Take a virtual tour of the annual orchid show at the New York Botanical Garden through this link.

https://www.facebook.com/watchparty/...ry_source=FEED
Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

OK. Thank you.
Sun is finally out here....going to get some gardening done. xx
Old 03-26-2020, 07:06 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Morning.

Picture of the bottom of the box. Panga-pangaSort of exotic wood plywood. is a nice color but doesn't have much character. No figure to speak of and kind of splintery to work with. It doesn't sand to a polished surface because it's very porus. It's good as a filler where it won't be seen much and you don't want to spend an exotic wood with beautiful figure. Sort of exotic wood form of plywood.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Yes, I could see me getting splinters trying to work with that.
Thank you for showing me. s

Hope you have a good day today dear Charon. xx ❤️

How are you doing with all of the craziness?
Getting groceries delivered, or still going out early?
And how is Mrs Charon doing? xx
Old 03-26-2020, 07:04 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Sorry for disappearing on you Charon et al.

Things have been a bit hectic here in the UK. Quarantine is changing the way we all live and has required a rapid response from me on my business. I have been working around the clock. For their safety, I have instructed my staff to stay at home. Only my admin lady is able to work from home, my packing staff cannot. I have also had to react quickly regarding outstanding orders, the closure of the factories that supply me, communications with carriers etc etc etc. The UK government is encouraging online retail businesses (that's me) to stay open so I am trying to respond to the new situation single-handedly. It will calm down in a week or so as everything gets moved to new systems.

To add to this my dear father has been in hospital (with sepsis not covid related) and I wasn't able to visit him which was awful for both of us. Sepsis was what my mother died of when she was only 55 so that made this particularly raw and scary for us both. I felt terribly guilty because at the time it was under 'advisement' that I didn't visit rather than strictly forbidden. Now the situation has moved again and it would be forbidden under the law. But given the situation, it was the right thing to do. If I visited I would not only have presented a risk to him but also to others on the ward. My dad told me there were a couple of young men in the ward with cancer. It was the right decision but that didn't make it feel any better. Thank goodness we live in an age of mobile phones! So that was very stressful and going on at the same time as responding to changes in with my business. I have also been worrying about my son in Melbourne, the other side of the world suddenly seems so far away now travel is restricted. My anxiety levels went through the roof at one point but I am calmer now. It is what it is.

Thankfully my dad responded well to treatment and returned home yesterday. I spoke to him today and he was even doing a spot of gardening, that brought my stress levels down immediately. Plus I am now starting to straighten things out with the business and have a plan going forward, as much as we can plan for anything right now.

The quarantine situation also requires that we have to step up and look after others where we can. So there are extra online and telephone communications with friends that live alone, shopping for one of my staff who is self-isolating as she has complex underlying health issues and looking out for my neighbour who is very recently bereaved and also having to self isolate at a time when she really most needs her family and friends for support. I am not doing anything special, it is simply what everyone is doing. Most streets have set up WhatsApp groups and contact numbers for neighbours that need support due to self-isolating.

This is not a moan or a request for support at all. I don't need anything and I am perfectly alright, simply recounting what has been going on and the reasons behind my absence. I know people the world over will be having to respond to all sorts of new situations right now and some are going through hell. The scenes out of Italy and France are heart-breaking. Apologies for neglecting you all, I am only just finding small windows of time opening up again. As Dee said above we are all spread a little thin right now.

In all of this 'not drinking' has stopped being such an obsession and it is nice to have that let-up. It felt like a full-time pre-occupation before and now it is not something that occupies my headspace. I have been too busy to even think of it and don't have to negotiate any social situations for a while. So that is made easy. Very proud of all the health service staff, care staff and essential service staff such as postal workers who are risking their own health to keep us all safe. Along with the 400,000 plus people that volunteered overnight to help the NHS when the government put out a call.

I really enjoyed your vivid orange orchid, Charon. The new box is lovely too and reminded me of my visit to the Rippon Lea Estate in Melbourne. Our guide pointed out several beautiful pieces of furniture made out of Australian burl. Like the walnut burr that was very popular here in Edwardian and Deco era but lighter, almost golden. I love walnut burr and have a lot of it in my own home. Some of my friends tease me as they say I have the taste of an old lady. But I do not mind, I can take a bit of ribbing.

My love to you all. You have all been in my thoughts. Stay safe.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:20 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to hear from you Lucinda - stay safe and well

Lovely work as always Charon!

D
Old 03-26-2020, 08:48 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee, you too.

Venuscat, I hope you enjoyed the sunshine. Charon, as always I am in awe of your hobbies and passions. I always feel great admiration for people that have interests. I have yet to really find anything to spark my interest for long. Although I do like my dog and enjoy collecting interesting things for my home. I like art and curios but don't have a budget to match my tastes so I spend a lot of time looking for interesting unknown artists or second-hand pieces. This is little oil painting by a new artist is my latest acquisition. I think she has an intriguing face (my photograph doesn't do her justice).

Old 03-26-2020, 08:59 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Administrator

looks great to me Lucinda - reminds me of the art styles of this time last century a bit
Old 03-26-2020, 10:21 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

I see what you mean Dee, it does rather. Btw, your Dante quote seems particularly fitting right now on so many levels. Well-chosen.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Oh yeah....and awesome painting. Plus I love your style girl....black walls and mantle? Green accents....and lots of plants I bet.

Thank God your dad got through that love. s

And I think what the UK is doing is phenomenal.....everyone helping each other and very strict rules and isolation.

My 80 year old landlady will be here any second with her building crew in the other half of my house (split into 2 apts)....she just has no clue in all of this.

So glad to hear the not drinking is going well, and praying that you can keep your business going and get your packers back on board soon. Or later.

I didn't get out in the sun yet....I have been mega tired the last few days. Oh well. Soon.

s ❤️
Old 03-27-2020, 05:44 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

New thread:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-5-a.html (Class of July 2019 Part 5)

D
Old 03-27-2020, 06:40 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Morning.

So glad to hear from you Lucinda and Venus. Dee too. I was worried.

Lucinda, I'm very glad your Dad is back home and doing well. My Dad went into the hospital some years back at 92½ and didn't make it back out with an infection that couldn't be stopped. He was very healthy one minute and then not. I still feel the loss.

Yes, Venus, I'm finding there is no shortage of stupid, reckless, selfish people here in the USA. Do they not believe that people are dying? Don't they care? Do they think they are immune for some reason? End-of-Rant. Sorry. It gets to me.

I'm doing fine. I've been social distancing since I retired, so I'm used to it. I'm not used to not being able to run to the hardware or grocery on the spur of the moment but that's a wee tiny nothing compared to what's going on elsewhere. I am aching for for people everywhere.

I've started on a new box - bubinga this time. It will be for K my daughter(in-law). In-law only to distinguisn from my daughter E. I do consider her a daughter.

My new trail cam has been out back for a few days. Daytime video is excellent. I'm hoping to get some nighttime video today.

Keep safe.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Morning.

The box has progressed to dry fit. I do believe this is the best joinery I've done so far. I'll do glue-up today and sand the outside, cut the top and bottom free, and oil it sunday or monday. Then the last step is installing hinges and a closure. Should be done by next mid-week.

Son went to the grocery for us yesterday. It was good to see him and chat for a few minutes even if I couldn't get a hug.

Daughter (E) is terrified that her school will have massive layoffs and she will lose her job because of this crisis. No talk from her school about that but a different district announced it's thinking about it and she is a worrier.

I'll finally find out what night pictures from the new trailcam look like. Since nothing has been wandering around out back at night I decided to become a night critter and went out back after dark.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:59 PM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm healthy and well and staying safe

Time for a new thread
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-4-a.html (Class of July 2019 Part 4)
D