Notices

Class of July 2019 Part 4

Old 10-31-2019, 05:19 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I nearly died yesterday on my first dive. My fault. I shouldn’t have splashed or I should have aborted the dive once I saw what the underwater conditions were like. I didn’t because I desperately wanted to dive. My fault.

I was the only certified diver. The rest were students doing their first open water dive and one doing some sort of checkout. They had instructors with them. After I got in the water I tried to find those groups but they had delayed their entry by 15 minutes,

The dive was on a “reef” that I think was called horseshoe. It wasn’t much of a reef – just flat limestone with little growth or marine life - very shallow and barren – flat with no landmarks. Waves were about 4-5 feet at the surface and the surge was massive on the bottom at 15 feet.

Since there was no topography to navigate by, visibility was about 20 feet, and the surge prevented any indication of current, I thought I was staying near the boat. Unfortunately there was current. When I surfaced with a third of my tank left I was a long, long way from the boat and could only see it sporadically because of the waves. I tried swimming toward it but could make no progress against the current and high waves.

I sounded my Dive Alert repeatedly. The boat never moved, instead waiting till all the students had finished their exercises and got back on board – a very long time. I continued to try to swim toward the boat but made very little progress.

In that time I used all the air in my main tank, all the air in my pony, and the waves were making using my snorkel impossible. I was becoming exhausted – my legs and arms were cramping I and really expected to drown. I had been sounding the Dive Alert and screaming for help and that I was going to drown when I could get a breath. Finally the boat headed toward me just as I was about to ditch my gear to try and stay on the surface.

Obviously I was picked up and didn’t drown but it was a very close thing. Tomorrow I’m going to be canceling the rest of my dives and doing land based activities. To be honest, I can’t believe they decided to ignore a potentially fatal emergency so they could wait about 20 minutes for other divers, who were in no danger, had instructors with them, and had the mooring ball for support, o finish their checkout to surface and get back aboard.

One thing that now stands out is that there was no discussion of an emergency diver recall signal. I’ve never been on a boat where that wasn’t part of the briefing, even in flat conditions and on snorkeling excursions.

I will probably begin selling off all my diving gear once I get home. I do believe I’ve had enough. Right now my body aches all over and I'm still dealing with almost drowning.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:39 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a really close shave Charon. I'm glad you're here to tell the tale.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Oh my God.....no words.
Well, some words.....complain.....loudly......that is so messed up......what if that happens to someone else who is not as experienced as you and the instructors have not properly prepared people. And maybe don't sell your gear just yet....when the trauma is a bit further behind you, you might just feel differently, maybe. xx ❤️

Old 10-31-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness Charon!

I popped in today specifically to see if there were any updates from your holiday, I wasn't expecting this!

There is only one way your holiday can go from here and that is up (all the way to the surface in your case!).
Old 10-31-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I am so sorry Charon... Please try to rest and focus on the very good news that your fitness and experience kept you alive under very difficult circumstances. Rejoice on this first: on all the skills that have been key to get you to write the message above.

You are admirable and I really think you should avoid focusing on the things beyond your control that went wrong. You can complain about all these tomorrow or next week to ensure that someone else does not make it.

Probably not a bad idea to stay away from diving tomorrow, but don't rush into selling your diving gear. Do you need the money or the space it takes? If not, just wait until this massive shock wears off a bit.

Very happy you made it.
Old 11-01-2019, 10:25 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thoughts. I drove down to Big Pine Key and saw some Key Deer this morning. Stopped for some lures that I have confidence in and will fish a bit about dusk. Might take a kayak paddle before that.

Passed a lot of water driving today and had not the least desire to get in. Not even to snorkel. Maybe that will pass, but I doubt it will be anytime soon. I'm absolutely certain I'm not diving anywhere I can't swim to shore. That pretty much limits it to Bonaire - from shore or boats.

Right now it's seriously hot so I'm in for a siesta.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

You must be under serious shock still. And you are alone, aren't you? Enjoy the siesta Charon. I am sure you need lots of rest to recover
Old 11-02-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Morning.

No fish but fun casting. Took the kayak out for a short paddle. I'm going to get wet today but it might be just to my knees. starting to wish I was home.

I am very glad I am not drinking. Had I been drinking before or hungover on my dive I would surely have died. It was very nearly more than I could handle completely sober. Perspecives have shifted and are continuing to shift. I think I am still somewhat in shock - at least I feel kind of numb - and not comfortably.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:37 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I am sure you still are in shock....at least emotionally. s

I almost drowned when I was 7....got caught in a rip at a surf beach and got tumbled over and over inside a wave....I remember thinking this is it.....I had no more air....until I somehow tumbled out onto the beach....no one even noticed I was in trouble until they saw the wave spit me out. It was traumatic.

I think what happened to you would have been about 10 times as traumatic. And I am also glad you were sober and here to tell the tale. s xx
Old 11-03-2019, 04:19 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thanks Venus.

I have an appointment with my therapist the day after I get back. I did consider heading home but decided to stay rather than go through the hassle of trying to change flights, etc. Also, by staying I can do things not involved with water and take my time breaking down my gear and getting it packed. I am sleeping quite a lot.

I got into the water to snorkel yesterday. It wasn't enjoyable and I was nervous even though I was close to shore and could stand up and the water would have been below my waist. I forgot to take my cell out of my pocket. It's sitting in a large bag of rice but it's almost certainly dead. I do have my computer and can text my wife and we can Skype. She's been great support. I'll replace the phone once I'm home. Just glad it was a $20 flip phone rather than an expensive smart phone. This is the 3rd phone I've killed. One in the washer and two diving. lol

I'm going to check out the bird reserve/rescue park this morning. It's just down the road. Then I'm finally going to get some Key Lime Pie.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:41 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Sounds awesome Charon!!!

The phone thing is funny..... s xx
Old 11-04-2019, 04:15 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Today I'm going to a local park to walk around. Then I'm going to get another slice of key lime pie and head back to the boat and continue hiding. I'm spending most of the day holed up on the boat, sleeping and waiting to head home.

Tonight I have an on-line meeting with my normal SMART monday F2F group. I'm looking forward to that. I'm Skyping with my wife daily and that helps. I'm still feeling numb. Once I get home and start clearing leaves, etc maybe I will get back to feeling normal. I hope so.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Maybe hide in the sunshine today love.....let nature heal you. s ❤️
Old 11-04-2019, 11:37 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Charon, I am so sorry that this holiday hasn't been as you hoped. I know how excited you were about going. To be honest, I can find holidays a little tough at the best of times. I often find myself counting down the days until I can get home when on holiday. I think that I thrive best surrounded by things that are familiar and that I am a creature that likes routines. It is a weird thing holidays cos we are supposed to love them and I am never sure that I even really like them. Then I feel terribly ungrateful given how privileged I am.

Venuscat's suggestion was sound though. I hope you were able to enjoy some of your last day.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I decided to fight shock rather than roll over and give up. I'm in the midde of working through a detailed evaluation of every step in what happened to me - from the briefing through the rescue. I want to define what exactly occured, what my options were, what my response shoulld have been, and the benefit of those responses. I don't know if this exercise will ever get me back in the water but I think it's something I need to do.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:33 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Getting on-line with my F2F ast night didn't work. I'll take my netbook to the next F2F and see if we can work out how to connect. I get back tomorrow and might have time to make it to my wednesday F2F but I really don't feel like it after getting up in the middle of the night and traveling all day. There's a F2F on thursday that I go to so I'll shoot for that one.

I completed the first draft of my my postmortum of the nearly fatal dive and will continue to mull it over. On one hand it would be a perfect time to stop diving. On the other, I hate to end on a defeat. I really don't know what I'm going to do but I do know I am deeply changed.

I am nearly completely packed and don't really feel like doing anything today. I willl probably take a drive south this morning and maybe stop at the Shell Factory or some other tourist trap.

I have a piece of key lime pie in the fridge and don't really have an appitite but should really get something to eat today. The problem is I can't think of anything that sounds good. Maybe once I get to the gate
Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

You clearly have enjoyed diving Charon - I understand your reticence now but it would be a shame for someone else's mistake to taking you away from something to love doing.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
You clearly have enjoyed diving Charon - I understand your reticence now but it would be a shame for someone else's mistake to taking you away from something to love doing.
I accept full responsibility. The dive op was culpable but I could and should have questioned deficiencies and made different decisions at every stage - no matter who was wrong, it's my life, it's me who will die, so it falls on me to cover all eventualities or do not dive.

Once I found myself in dire trouble I also should have dumped the lead weight and the empty tank that belonged to the dive op. That woud have made it easier to fight the high seas and keep my head above the waves enough to get a breath.

Hind sight is 20-20 but if I ever do go back in the water again I want to be far better prepared and able to avoid any situation that would put me in danger.

I now know to look for deficiencies in dive briefings, questions that need to be asked and answered every time, specific deficiencies in procedures, etc. If everything isn't perfect then do not splash.

Going to get some rest. I will not be able to post again till I get home. Either tomorrow evening or Thursday morning. Heading for the airport as soon as I wake up anytime beyond 3 am. Going to sleep propped up with the TV on and drink a lot of water before turning in. The travel alarm doesn't reliably wake me so I'm going to leave when I wake in the middle of the night. I just want to make sure I get to the airport and avoid any Miami rush hour delays that might make me late for my flight.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:54 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Safe journey Charon.
Old 11-07-2019, 05:14 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Morning.

I am extremely grateful to be home and to get some hugs. Slept in my real bed last night and it was wonderful. I feel like rushing out and starting on the leaves right away but it's supposed to rain and I really should deal with unpacking. I have an appointment with my therapist this afternoon, I need to replace my phone, and I've a F2F tonight. Leaves can wait.