Notices

Class of July 2019 Part 4

Old 11-18-2019, 06:21 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Morning.

Decided to keep the jacket I got for outside work as a good coat. I'll find something warm to work in that isn't new.

Got under the car yesterday and did a quick patch. The garage was able to take the car in this morning to get a look at it - probably today. They'll let me know what they find. The car is 13 years old and the exhaust system is original so it doesn't owe me anything.

I'm hoping to work on the veg garden today for a bit. Not sure if the soil is frozen yet but I can at least pull the tomato cages and get the manure and compost spread. Pretty sure bad weather is on it's way as my shoulder is aching. I think I have enought time to get the garden stuff done before it hits - if not, a nap seems appropriate.

Hold fast eveyone.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hope you get your veggie patch done today dear Charon. s
Old 11-18-2019, 03:51 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charon View Post
Pretty sure bad weather is on it's way as my shoulder is aching.
I never used to understand when older folks said things 'like I can feel it in my bones'. I thought it was just a saying, these days I realise that they meant it quite literally. I am skipping out to Melbourne sunshine in 3 weeks so no more aches and pains for me.

Thanks for posting the Smart Tool kit link, Charon. I will take a look at that too. Your timing was perfect.

I have been feeling pretty much as you BackandScared - I also realised a short while ago that I have maybe not been looking after myself as much as I could. I think it is a funny time too - I think I should be 'over it' by now but the winewitch/AV still calls and then I think there is something wrong with my commitment. But I guess really it is still very early days. We are doing great but it is still early. I am aware of a need to be vigilant though because I am coming up to the time when I drank again last time I quit.

How are you doing today BackandScared? Hope your anxiety has abated and you are feeling better.

Venuscat, I was thinking of you with the upcoming trip to Melbourne. Am I right in thinking you are from that part of the world?

I hope you are well too Dee? You spend a lot of time looking after us so sending a hug back your way.

Warm wishes
Lucinda
Old 11-19-2019, 05:03 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Yes yes yes yes yes.....was just thinking this morning that I am homesick, finally.....not for any people though, just my beautiful Elwood Beach. I lived in Pine Avenue for 25 years in the same flat.....lovely and all except it was a bit of a hovel due to me being an alcoholic. But gosh I miss Elwood.

How long are you going for? Or are you moving there?

Love to all of you .....yes.....the AV gets quieter and quieter until the little monster stops calling. It took a long time for me. s ❤️
Old 11-19-2019, 07:45 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Morning.

My bones were right. Snowed overnight and is still spitting a bit. It's enough that I need to go out and play in the snow. Thank goodness I got all the machines prepped and ready. All I have to do is open the doors to the second stall, start the blower up and put it in gear. As long as, that is, it doesn't throw a belt at first movement. It's done that every year so far. I stopped putting the cover plates back on so I could just put the belt back in place and proceed. Hope it skips that part of the routine this year. LOL I think I might take the heat gun out and warm the belt before I start. Too much snow for the plow on the garden tractor. I think I prefer the blower anyway.

I got as much on the veg garden done as I could. The fence was frozen in place and the ground surface was frozen too so tilling waits untill spring. I got the cages out and the barrow of manure dumped in a pile. Two more 5 gallon buckets in the barn can wait till spring. Compost was frozen so that waits too. So, fall chores officially done & winter is here. Time to go see what the blower does this year.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:18 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Hope the blower didn't blow its belt this time Charon!
Old 11-20-2019, 02:55 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Yes yes yes yes yes.....was just thinking this morning that I am homesick, finally.....not for any people though, just my beautiful Elwood Beach. I lived in Pine Avenue for 25 years in the same flat.....lovely and all except it was a bit of a hovel due to me being an alcoholic. But gosh I miss Elwood.

How long are you going for? Or are you moving there?

Love to all of you .....yes.....the AV gets quieter and quieter until the little monster stops calling. It took a long time for me. s ❤️

Venuscat, I will make sure that I take pictures of Elwood Beach just for you. It is a small world as I will be staying in Elsternwick and wandering down to Elwood Beach was on my to do list! I am even more looking forward it after reading your love for Elwood.

It is just a flying visit for me - 16 days. My son has emigrated to Melbourne. I wasn't planning to visit until December 2020 but I decided that life is too short not to see my son for so long so off I go! Being spontaneous is pretty new to me - I am usually too much of a stress monkey to do anything without a year to mentally prepare myself. But my stress levels are way down now. A huge benefit to no longer being a drinker I believe.

I last visited my son and daughter-in-law 2 years ago (they have visited the UK in between). My son was living in Carlton on my last and I stayed in Fitzroy with my husband which I adored. They have now moved to Elsternwick which I think will suit me better this time as I am travelling on my own and no longer a party gal. I am looking forward to just ambling about and exploring.

It is good to hear that sticking with it will see the AV grow quieter and that it is normal that this might take some time. Thank you for that Venuscat. I needed to hear it.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:09 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

So much love dear Lucinda.....it is wonderful to be able to share our experience in recovery and actually help someone. s

Oh boy.....I am going to make a list for you of how to get about and what to see near there....no 1 on the list is Rippon Lea Estate and Gardens. Let me show you..... Actually, the links are all commercial but if you look it up your jaw will drop.

I am so happy for you that you are doing this....and I hear you....before I got sober I hadn't travelled for a long time, and then boom, I was coming to America. s xx
Old 11-20-2019, 07:06 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Morning.

Blower threw the belt first time, as always. New trick, the tractor threw the drive belt while pushing heavy snow. Both easy fixes, so no worries. Had fun making the snow go where I wanted it to be.

Going to dinner with my son tonight. My daughter is stopping by to trade her car for mine right after school lets out. I'll take hers to the garage on my way to dinner. Time to swap summer tires for winter tires. Mine can wait a few days. Warmer and no snow in the forcast for a while. When she stops to trade back I hope she stays a while to visit. Not sure what to do about telling them about my ND experience - or if I should tell them at all. So far only Mrs. knows. I'll seek her advice. She's better at things like this than I am by far.

I'll be 73 tomorrow. Haven't decided what I want to do. I do know I want to cut down drastically on sweets. I've become a cookie monster after my near fatal experience. Maybe I'll indulge one last time on my BD and then allow myself only one stroopwaffel each morning with coffee and a sweet treat once a month. Going to be hard with hollidays coming up.

I'm making genuine Ukranian nut rolls on friday. That's an all day affair. The dough has to rise three times before they go in the oven. It's fine because I can keep up with washing the utinsels as I use them while the dough is rising so when they come out of the oven, the kitchen is clean and I'm done.

Our tour of the Utah National Parks is booked. Air travel still needs to be booked. That's going to be a fun trip with Mrs. We'll be in the parks May 31 to June 7. We'll go a day or so early and stay a few days after the tour is over.

Thinking I might go back to Dominica (not Dominical Republic - vastly different places) for a tropical trip next November/December. I can dive and snorkel there but there are a ton of land based things to do. Eight different ecologies, 365 rivers (more streams, actually), and the absolute best pineapple and grapefruit ever. Dominica is the first tropical place I ever went, and there are a bunch of things I didn't get to do (like visit the Caribe village). Maybe I can talk Mrs. into coming along. Still feeling queasy about ever diving again but doubt I can leave it alone without one more try. I feel more excitement thinking about Dominica than I do about returning to Bonaire.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Your life is so wonderfully jam-packed with adventure and love and cooking and boating and so many things....I think that your birthday could just be a celebration of you. Why don't you choose your favourite restaurant and go and spoil your wife and yourself and maybe the kids if they are available? s xx
Old 11-21-2019, 06:44 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Morning.

Not so happy a BD. I found out from my son that it's going to take time to get back to where we were. Not unexpected, I had just hoped but as my mother used to remind me:

сподіватися в одній руці і мочитися в іншій, побачити, що заповнює перше

– Ukranian Proverb

Feeling somber but will try not to dwell. Hope no one can read Ukranian.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:46 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

dear Charon! ❤️
Old 11-21-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Morning.

Not so happy a BD. I found out from my son that it's going to take time to get back to where we were. Not unexpected, I had just hoped but as my mother used to remind me:

– Ukranian Proverb

If you don't mind my two cent's worth.....I see this as a really positive thing. I see that he wants to be close again. Just my thoughts...

Hope you have a lovely birthday. ❤️
Old 11-21-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Morning.

– Ukranian Proverb

Ouch, I know that has got to hurt Charon. It sounds like your son is an emotionally healthy and open young man though. Seems to me he is keeping his boundaries while still expressing, as Venuscat says, that he wants to get back to having a great relationship with you. Things are going to be so different in the future.

Belated Happy Birthday Charon.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:50 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
So much love dear Lucinda.....it is wonderful to be able to share our experience in recovery and actually help someone. s

Oh boy.....I am going to make a list for you of how to get about and what to see near there....no 1 on the list is Rippon Lea Estate and Gardens. Let me show you..... Actually, the links are all commercial but if you look it up your jaw will drop.

I am so happy for you that you are doing this....and I hear you....before I got sober I hadn't travelled for a long time, and then boom, I was coming to America. s xx
Venuscat, that is perfect!

You did make me laugh about the Rippon Lea Estate. Originally I was looking for an AIRBNB, one popped up but the map showed it as being next to the Rippon Lea Estate. I imagined a big rough housing estate like we get here in the UK some places and decided that I didn't want accommodation next to an estate so didn't book it. Following your post I googled it and have realised my misunderstanding

It looks gorgeous. I adore historic houses and gardens (and tea rooms in my new life). I am definitely going to visit, thank you!

The last time I was in Melbourne it was all about wine tours and bars so it is good to have new things to do that don't revolve around alcohol. So a list would be hugely welcome.

I love that about you not travelling and then getting sober and then boom, here comes America. Life does wend in strange and wondrous ways.

How are you today lovely Venuscat?
Old 11-21-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

My apologies Charon, I have read back my post to you and see it was a little clumsily. It wasn't my intention. I hope you are feeling a little better now. Utah National Park sounds fab!
Old 11-21-2019, 06:50 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy birthday Charon

Having been to Rippon Lea it's a great house and lovely grounds Lucinda

D
Old 11-22-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Having been to Rippon Lea it's a great house and lovely grounds Lucinda

D
I am very excited. I have a friend who lives a few miles out on the Mornington Road and Rippon Lea will be the perfect place to enjoy a day out together.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:51 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Just checking in on you today Charon. How are you bearing up?
Old 11-22-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Morning.

Re. my son - it was me that was the catalist for the family crisis. I can't expect he and his wife to get over it any sooner than they are able. I don't depend on him or anyone for my happiness, but not having the closeness that we once had, that I nearly destroyed, and having a part in bad feelings between sibs can make me a bit sad. I know in time it will all go back to happy. It is good now, just needs a bit more time. I appreciate all the support re this and Lucinda, I didn't think your post was the least clumsy. I saw it as positive and supporting.

I was able to tell both son & daughter about my near fatal experience. Glad that's out of the way. Son took it in stride and wants me to be much more careful about my diving. Daughter wanted to confiscate all my diving gear and sell it off. I managed to convince them both that any future diving will be under completely benign conditions and will not happen until I have developed a before and during the dive checklist of what could go sideways and how to handle it. It may involve getting additional gear like a Personal Location Beacon. That's probably way overkill for the kind of diving I will do in the future - then again, it's only money. I can make more. I can'r make more life.

Today I'm making nutrolls from a family recipie brought over from "the old country" - best I can tell, it was Ukraine. Where ever it came from they are delicious. I made my last batch in the summer and the dough was nearly impossible to deal with. Learned my lesson. Heat & humidity must be why they are only made for winter hollidays. . My new years resolution this year will be to make a batch to put in the freezer before the weather starts to turn.