Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 12

Old 09-21-2019, 10:35 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Sunday morning

Alice, yes, defo a strange situation. Sounds to me as if she might have dementia or Altzheimers. You were very kind to bear with her and join her at the seniors group and open your door to her. Always a good thing to help others - but I just hope she doesn't start abusing your hospitality and friendly nature. If it is any of the above she is suffering from, it can become very draining and sorry to say, disappointing at times.Unpredictable. My friend's mother suffers from both - and lives with her - and it has taken a huge toll on her.

Pots form the nursery for tomatoes. Yess and jayy !!! Just going to a nursery is a cure-all for me.Good for the soul. I had huge success last season with my tomatoes in pots. They grew even better than the ones in the veggie patch. This year I held back and planted way less tom's - had an overabundant crop last year. All my seedlings are planted now - lettuce, rocket, tomatoes, herbs . I love how a newly planted veggie garden looks - so neat and crisp . For a short while .

Watched the rugby yesterday with hub. And in the garden whole day. Lifted a paver in veg garden and guess who's back ??? Frikkin Kermit the frog's cousin !!!!!!!!!!!! At least it's far from my fishpond and bedroom window. Suppose he is sort of welcome - hopefully he munches on those horrible tomato caterpillars .

Bee, you sound as if you have a load of admin - good luck with that. And restocking the airbnb - sounds like a lot of hard work . So happy you are starting to feel better. And keeping up with your yoga.

Barbs - what are Twizzlers? Are they anything like Fizzers that we have in SA - a long flat "stick", toffee-ish, strawberry or cream soda flavour , with a bit of "sherbet" that pops in your mouth? Mmmm ... you've got me going now ... I can taste it already ...

Red, Kitty - hi . Missing you .

Alice, I think the day cruise is a good idea. Check it out, it might just be fun. Do you go out on a boat?

Have a lovely Sunday . Lay back, relax and spoil yourself .
XXXXXXXXXXX
Old 09-22-2019, 09:06 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I got to spend some lovely time in my garden. I'm digging out some of the plants that take over everything and cleaning things up.

I have some inlaws staying which is nice. I'm enjoying them.

Tomorrow more finances, and a trip to the store.

I hope you all are doing well.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:31 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Monday morning

Bee, so glad you had a good time in the garden. so satisfying, isn't it?

It is a holiday here tomorrow. Heritage day. My husband now knows , after so many years together, not to tell me things too far in advance - so he sprang it on me this morning that friends of ours are coming for lunch tomorrow . The thing is... and why he kept it from me ... I cannot stand the woman. Oops - sounds harsh. His friend , went to uni together , is a sweetie, but the wife is just one of those controlling, finger wagging know it all's. NOT looking forward to it - had plans to spend the whole day gardening. Oh well, will bite the bullet and get it done.

Have a good day , my friends. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 09-23-2019, 08:44 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Ayers I hope you weather this visit. It sounds challenging. When she leaves I hope you can kind of enjoy her absence . . .not sure that makes sense . . . the monk Tich Night Hahn recommended learning to enjoy not having a toothache.

I'm still having pretty good afternoons which seems amazing. I drank more coffee this morning and still had a pretty good afternoon. Maybe it is just the B12 but I still like cutting back on coffee . . .not so much because of the caffeine but because I spend so much time doing diddly nothing in the morning and drinking coffee is the excuse.

Barbs, Matrac, Kitty, Mike, David . . . .I hope you all are okay.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:19 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Tuesday morning

When she leaves I hope you can kind of enjoy her absence . . .
Loved this , Bee and
Tich Night Hahn recommended learning to enjoy not having a toothache.
this .

It's wonderful that you are seeing a real change - not having those afternoon slumps. Amazing that something as simple as a vitamin can make such a difference.

Today , Heritage day has also been dubbed "National Braai Day" in SA. Braai, being what you probably call Barbeque. So I will be setting a pretty table on the patio ( although I don't feel inspired) , making the veg and salads, and my husband will "braai" the steaks.

Although I see myself as easy going , I came to the realization that actually I am quite set in my ways. And I get upset if things don't pan out as I planned them. I don't show it , well I try not to, but it's as if I have an inner sulk. That's how I feel today. Like a spoilt child, sulking because I have to entertain guests ( half of who I dislike) , and I can't spend my day as I planned.

I also did some introspection and admitted to myself that yes, she is overbearing and opinionated ( but so am I ) but ... I think she intimidates me. There - I said it !!

Okay, off to the races . I shall don my red lipstick and face the music and stop sulking . Thanks for bearing my venting XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 09-24-2019, 08:29 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Ayers, I hope your guest has come and gone.

I had a day of a bit of wheel spinning. Ah well. At least I was up and at 'em the best I could.

I have had people with wine every night for the last few nights. No problem for me although I can't say I get much of a thrill out of water with dinner . . . no temptation to drink really. Just an observation.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:32 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Wednesday morning

I feel kind of guilty that only 2 or 3 of us have a whole thread to ourselves .... but I'm going to kill that thought immediately and rather say how much I appreciate those still posting.

The lunch turned out to be lovely. Seems today is my day for guilt - I feet so guilty saying those things here yesterday . It was my horrible, insecure, nasty side talking.

Bee, maybe time to get creative with a new favourite drink ? Half tonic, half water, dash of prune juice / any other juice, sprig of mint and slice of lemon is mine at the moment.

Love and hugs XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 09-25-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ayers View Post
Wednesday morning

I feel kind of guilty that only 2 or 3 of us have a whole thread to ourselves .... but I'm going to kill that thought immediately and rather say how much I appreciate those still posting.
Well Ayers, I would like to see more folks posting but am happy to hold the fort down until some come back. I'm so hoping Kitty will come back. She seems too . Also Barbs, I find your recent cravings to be a good warning to myself to not get complacent.

Ayers, I suppose we could join the year and overs but let's keep it going for awhile!

The lunch turned out to be lovely. Seems today is my day for guilt - I feet so guilty saying those things here yesterday . It was my horrible, insecure, nasty side talking.
Oh man I so get that guilt. I was all locked and loaded for a conflict with my neighbor and he was beyond nice to me when I finally contacted him. Talk about chagrin!!

When I go through the uncomfortable emotions without medicating them, I figure this means I am maturing.

Also Ayers, I love your introspection about your guest being a bit like you. Kudos for the insight!

Bee, maybe time to get creative with a new favourite drink ? Half tonic, half water, dash of prune juice / any other juice, sprig of mint and slice of lemon is mine at the moment.

Love and hugs XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Thanks for the inspiration. Yep having some good non alcoholic cocktails on hand is great!

Okay, I'm going in for 15 min of taxes. Wish me luck. I approach with fear and loathing but inspired by you Ayers!
Old 09-25-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Ayers, so glad the luncheon turned out better than you expected. Twizzlers are a strawberry flavored licorice, lol. I'm still binging on it. Such a sugar overload, ugh!

Bee, sounds like your doing well with the changes you've made

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before or not, but my oldest sister's son is a text book narcissist. After making her jump through hoops for years (he's 40 yrs. old), he finally has cut her out of his life. He had forbidden her to have contact with any of her family and was insisting she stop seeing her long-time boyfriend. Well she refused to give up her boyfriend so her son has cut ties with her. Which means she is now back in my life I have very mixed feelings. I was very close with my sister and have really missed her, but she was my drinking buddy. She showed up at my house Saturday with two bottles of wine, ugh!!!

btw, I'm very grateful the two of you are holding down the fort

Love to you all
Old 09-25-2019, 07:37 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Wow Barbs, that is a bit of family drama. Also that would be a super danger situation for me: drinking wine to people please. Did you tell her about not drinking? And how did that go?

I got in 20 min of taxes. It is so much better when I just get started. Also more gardening.

I was interviewed this evening by one of the kids in my borrowed family. She interviewed me about my experience of 9/11. It is these little moments where I like my life; it's nothing huge just interacting with a kid. We practiced a few times and then filmed it. Phone ate the interview so we had to do it again. Much frustration and laughter. A nice moment.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Oh Bee, she knew I stopped drinking but brought the wine anyway. She was fine with me not drinking. It was nice to be able to spend time with her.

Your time with your borrowed family sounds so wonderful. Reminds me of when my kids were in school
Old 09-26-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Ah, that is good Barbs. If she was okay with you not drinking, then you are over the hump of that. I hope you had a good time. Man oh man if you can at least get along with some of your family it is the best.

I had a more of same kind of day with draining and refilling the hot tub thrown in just to change it up. Renters come in tomorrow and I head back down this weekend.

My afternoons continue to be better. I'm tempted to quit the B12 for a few days to see if that is the key factor. A bit of scientific experimenting.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Mornin all, from a gorgeous time of year in the Rocky Mountains USA.

I have: sprinklers going, contacted accountant and financial advisers, and called my Dad to get him to drink water and take his meds . . . I'm off and running . . . er . . . .crawling . . . .er . . . .maybe just twitching but I'm here.

May you all go to be sober tonight and wake up refreshed.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:10 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Bee, you seem to be plugging along nicely. Really checking things off your list

I'm still eating a ton of sugar, ugh!!! I'm off to help my husband at his shop. I need to make a safe place there for the pups

Hope all is well with everyone!
Old 09-27-2019, 07:27 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Yep, I did plug away today. It helps when there are renters coming so I don't have a choice (-; Although in all honesty, having a bit more structure to my days is usually helpful.

I'm continuing to wonder, "What next for my life?". My dad will probably go into assisted living here in a few months so I will have more freedom and less responsibility which sounds good but I'm not good at creating a life for myself separate from my family. I've done lots of things alone over the decades and it has been interesting and okay but not really satisfying . . . . sigh . . . .just fretting a bit to you all . . . . I know, no future tripping. However I do wonder if there is something I can do now to ease the future.

Barbs, sugar sure sounds better than alcohol but it probably doesn't feel great to be eating that way. Let us know how you do and if you can figure out anything that helps in this department.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:47 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Saturday morning

Gardeninggggg the whole day Going to be bliss. Got all I need this week and not going anywhere the whole day . My idea of heaven

Barbs, I also have an ongoing fight with sugar. I find it harder to give up than I did alcohol. And I knowwww a lot of my aches and pains stem from too much sugar. What a battle

LOL ( NOT laugh out loud ) LOTS OF LOVE xxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-28-2019, 10:51 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Good Morning all! Well, without going int making individual comments, it does look like many of you are developing new areas of growth to explore and enjoy.

My son and daughter are with me this weekend, and we've decided to jump on the Sober October bandwagon in our own way, A few of us will stop drinking -- that's not ann issue for most of us, but we intend to incorporate healthier habits into into our October life plans to help us come out on the end of the month feeling cleaner, healthier and wiser. I'm excited!

Some of the things I've pledged to do are:

1. eliminate all types of social media (that was one that was whole-heartedly agreed upon by all of us for obvious reasons.)

2.No Alcohol (duh)

3. Take vitamins daily

4. Increase fruit and vegetable meals every day and strive to eliminate meat products as well as processed foods and sugars.

5 Read at least one classic book that you've been wanting to read but have never gotten around to it.

In place of watching mindless television, find a podcast you enjoy and listen to it every day or weekly.

Incorporate an exercise routine that you would enjoy and stick with it.

That's what we have so far. We're going to chat about it...maybe write blogs about it...anything to keep the inspiration going for a healthy October.

I'd like to invite you all to join us if you are so inclined! If you'd like to add any more suggestions to our list, feel free.

I'm hoping to come out of the end of October feeing a bit more healthy in mind, body, spirit, than I have been feeling. So i'm in.

Hope some of you will join.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:39 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Alice that sounds pretty darn ambitious although we are already doing the no alcohol thingy so maybe time to kick it up a notch!

I didn't get much done today: Mass with my Dad, took my nephew to a coffee shop (He worked on a school report on pikas (alpine rodent) and I tried to do some finance and calendar stuff), 13 min of yoga, and talked to a couple of guys about power washing the deck.

I'm taking an evening off of our usual family night as I kind of want some alone time.

Windy evening with the sun setting over the mountains.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Bee, glad you're taking time for yourself. I love my alone time and can get a bit grouch I'd I don't get enough.

Alice, you have inspired me! I will join you on giving up sugar. The rest of my diet is fairly healthy.

I have also decided to join a new church. I've been visiting a few of them lately and I think I've found the one. I'll make my final decision in a few more weeks. My spiritual life definitely needs some attention

Thinking of you all. Ayers, hope the gardening is going well
Old 09-30-2019, 08:26 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Alright, Alice (and her kids) seem to have started something. I'm teetering on the edge of the workout wagon and recently lost my copy of Frankenstein when I was only half way through it . . . . .Tomorrow is october (Except for Dee and Ayers who may already be in October) . . . .I'm in.