Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 12

Old 08-24-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of August 2018 Part 12

Last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...t-11-a-20.html (Class of August 2018 Part 11)

SD
Old 08-24-2019, 09:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun in the new thread!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sunday morning

Thanks for all the congrats. Really appreciated. I celebrated the day with copious cups of Vanilla Chai tea - my favourite of the week.

Alice , sigh of relief , so happy to hear that it's not something horrible - and that he has finally found answers and some relief . It must have been a terrible wait - I can only imagine.

Barbs , good to hear from you, how are things going with you? And your clever doggies?

Bee, you know, you are an inspiration to me - you are forever pushing yourself to be better. To do more. To hold yourself accountable for the lists you make.
I am the exact opposite. I have often wondered why I don't push myself harder - is it a fear of failure, or just plain laziness and clinging to my comfort zones.

Funny how we get used to the routine of our lifes - and then if it changes, how difficult it is to adjust. I say this, because obviously my husband can't play his usual round of golf on Saturdays. His arm must stay in the sling for 6 to 8 weeks . So yesterday, he went to the farm as usual, but was home by lunchtime ... sitting around, watching tv cricket -and it sort of threw me out of orbit - just because it is different to how it usually was. Silly, I know , but I felt a little like Pavlov's dog .

Have a good Sunday , all, and know that you are in my thoughts.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 08-24-2019, 11:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Morning All,

Just a quick check in, yesterday was awesome!
Lovely walks, stunning views and most of all I stayed sober! We went to a little bar after the walk and I had a coke then we came home and had some real healthy food for dinner and just relaxed for the evening.
I'm rushing a bit now, just finished my bookend now need to jump in the shower as we're ff to a car boot sale then I'm doing another walk. I'm trying to beat my vertigo, yesterdays walk wasn't so Hugh but I still go a little dizzy and funny at the top, this morning I'm doing a walk which is right on my doorstep, I tried it a couple of years back and had a huge panic attack but today I'm determined to get up there and take in the amazing views across the bay and mountains.
I'll post again later when I have more time and respond back to you all.
Lots of love xxx
Back very soon xxx
Old 08-25-2019, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Lets fill Part 12 up with successes, failures, milestones, stories and whatever may come.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Congrats Ayers! I feel like you are the heart and soul of this class. Very inspiring!
Old 08-25-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Kitty I'm glad you are still sober.. I love it when I'm sober, I feel so much better, I can't believe we trick ourselves sometimes into thinking its better to have a drink. How powerful our mind is..

Back on day 2 now and am sooooo happy to be facing Monday sober and rested..
How short lived that lie of alcohol is, it totally tricks you into thinking romantic thoughts about wine etc and then what happens...you are looking into the bottom of the bottle every night...

Mike I hope you are getting through OK? Don't give into any of those cravings it's sooo not worth it..

Happy Monday
Nic
Old 08-25-2019, 09:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Kitty I'm glad you are still sober.. I love it when I'm sober, I feel so much better, I can't believe we trick ourselves sometimes into thinking its better to have a drink. How powerful our mind is..

Back on day 2 now and am sooooo happy to be facing Monday sober and rested..
How short lived that lie of alcohol is, it totally tricks you into thinking romantic thoughts about wine etc and then what happens...you are looking into the bottom of the bottle every night...

Mike I hope you are getting through OK? Don't give into any of those cravings it's sooo not worth it..

Happy Monday
Nic
Red, I hope you really savor this sober, no hang over Monday. I am so glad you came back to us.

I had another pretty good day. Yesterday I didn't get the meditation in and today I didn't get the yoga in. Tomorrow I will try for both.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Monday morning

Thanks so much for your kind words, Mike.

Kitty , so glad you had a great day. May there be many more ahead for you.

Red, fantastic to read that you are positive and going strong. Yes, nothing beats a hang-over-free morning.

A really busy working day for me today - don't think I'll be able to get my nose out of my office . But I've got it all planned - I've got some soothing background music and my diffuser and the kitchen is not far away for some lovely Chai tea.

Have a good day all of you. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 08-26-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey all, I'm having a bit of a grumpy day. Not sure why. I did get a few things done which feels good.

Hope you all had a better one.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Morning,

Just approaching 10am here and I am so very grateful for the lovely long weekend I just enjoyed SOBER and present.
We walked again Sunday and I got to the top of the fell I can never usually reach with my vertigo, I got to the top but really struggled and couldn't stand right at the front with the best of the views but all in all it was an achievement for me and I'm going back up again soon to just push that extra little bit and stand at the main view point.
Yesterday we went and did a food shop for the week and I painted some more furniture for the bedroom. We had an afternoon walk and then relaxed with nice food. Also my new "quit lit" book came, The Unexpected Joys of Being Sober by Catherine Gray so I spent some time drinking herbal teas and reading too.

Today it's mostly work for me, I'll go fora short walk after this post and then get to it and a friend is popping later for a quick cuppa when she's passing so that breaks the day up a little.

Good to hear from you Red, gad you're now back on the Wagon, lets do this, we can do it I know we can! Are you still involved in your spiritual path?

Alice, I'm so sooooo pleased to hear your hubby's results showed the evil cancer hasn't returned!!!! Hope you're doing ok. Are you still busy with interviews?

Ayers, you sound strong and positive, always pushes and inspires me reading your posts. Hope you have a productive work day and get through your busy schedule. Lots of love.

Barbs, good to see you back in here. I've been awol quite a lot recently so not sure where you're at with things and how you're getting on so sending you lots of love and hope all is well.

Hi Mike Hope you're still marching onwards and upwards.

Beekind, Hope your mood picks up soon, maybe the planned yoga and meditation may help?

Good Morning Dee

Well I best get my butt moving and go for a walk with my dog then its work time.

Wishing you all a happy Tuesday.

Back shortly xxx
Old 08-27-2019, 03:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by Red78 View Post
Don’t worry Red. Not giving in

It has been challenging though. Not in the sense where I am struggling to fight the urge to run to the liquor store, just felt under a lot of stress lately and maybe that’s what’s triggering these thoughts and cravings. I’ve definitely been stress-eating a little bit, which I am usually self-critical of but I am not beating myself up too much because to me, staying sober is priority number one, no matter what it takes.

I think things will start to balance out soon though, which will be extremely helpful. I am definitely the type of person who loves to be in a routine, and I get stressed when that routine is disrupted.

Anyway, today is my first day of classes in what I hope will be my final year of college, 14 years after I started back in 2005. So that is kind of exciting.

Hope everyone is well
Old 08-27-2019, 07:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mike, it is good to heart you are powering through the cravings and tough times. Keep at it with whatever it takes so you put a sober head on your pillow at night.

Kitty, I would so love to come visit you in the UK some day. We could go for that hike together and try out some herbal teas and other non alcoholic drinks. Get through today sober no matter what.

I always feel better in the morning. I so love sleep as it resets my mood like rebooting a computer.

So I'm off to do some yoga and meditation. Catch you all later.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Had a less grouchy day than yesterday.

A couple of friends dropped in which was kind of lovely. I'm an introvert but I do have wonderful friends.

Also the neighborhood converged on the home of an elderly couple who no longer have the where with all to sort and get rid of stuff. We managed to wrest a few carloads of trash, recycling and thrift store stuff from them without anyone losing their temper. This is all in the hopes that their Godson, who comes next week, will be able to get the sailboat out of the garage and take it giving them more space.

Afterwards I talked with the husband and he explained that they are just living a different kind of life with his wife's advanced Parkinson. Having a clean house isn't so important. They just listen to music, watch tennis and football and enjoy each other. I do understand this. However, I know we all want it to be just a bit easier for them.

I was offered a glass of wine this afternoon but was in not position to take it so easy peasy. It still gives me a qualm of longing when this happens.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Busy busy again here but all is well.
Just had my boy back at the vets and all is ok, just keeping him on blood pressure meds but he's ok.

Real busy work day so I won't say much more for now only that Bekind, you're welcome for a visit anytime! That would be awesome

Love to you all and I'll post more later when I have more time.

xxx
Old 08-29-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Sorry I've been away for the past few days. I've been getting my daughter moved into her new apartment and ready for a new semester at college. I was kind of hoping she'd take some time off to work on her health, but she decided not to.

I've also been busy with interviews. I'm coming to the end of the process with two of the companies I applied to, and I have the sense that they may both offer me jobs. Both jobs would have me doing a lot of writing. In one job I'd use what I've learned as a teacher, and the other job would draw on the knowledge I have from an MA in public policy. One of the jobs would be largely remote which is very attractive to me as I hate dealing with traffic. The other is 24 miles away, but they've said they would allow me to work from home sometimes. It's going to be quite the transition going back to work after two years of not working. I'm not looking forward to having to get up early every day. And I suppose working will come with a new set of challenges vis a vis drinking. I anticipate that I'll probably have those old end-of-the workweek cravings. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's see if I even get the offers...

My husband is feeling better. He got an epidural in his upper spine and it's making the pain go away but not the numbness. I guess the nerve will take a while to heal itself.

Ayers, how is your husband doing?

I'm glad everyone is hanging in and riding the waves of life's ups and downs without resorting to drinking.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Alice, good to hear that your husband is getting a bit of pain relief. Also so so hope one of these jobs turns into a good thing for you.

Kitty, just so good to have you back. Post whatever you can when you can.

Ayers, I too am wondering how your honey is doing.

Mike, I hope the cravings are letting up.

I've had a decent day. There is always lots to do when I return from the mountains. I with I had the self discipline to keep working but I usually fall apart in the afternoons. This has happened as usual today. I've come here to try to motivate myself a bit.

So now to do 10 min of yoga, floss and set up the ironing board for ironing.

Yeehaw!
Old 08-29-2019, 09:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Friday morning

This week has flown by . Guess because I actually kept myself busy with some real work

Thanks for asking Bee and Alice, my husband is convalescing well - I am still amazed how strong he is . The arm is still in a sling - will be for another 3 to 4 weeks , and sutures have been removed from collarbone and the drainage hole at the ribs. The ribs themselves are still going to take many many months to heal. I'm starting to wean him off the strong pain meds slowly but surely.

Alice , glad to hear your hub is feeling better. And so excited for you with the 2 jobs. Hope you hear from them soon. Either one sounds great. And you will be fine , I think you have got your mind in the right place.

Bee, you seem to be really giving the yoga a good go. Wish I could say the same. My friend , the older one who is also a psychologist, runs yoga classes and she's been at me to give it a try. But she does Kundulini yoga - not sure it's for me. Will give it a try though, and see.

Kitty, glad to hear you are on a good wicket and keeping busy.

Red, how are you doing ?

Dee, love your wheels = saw it on another thread . Many happy miles

Weekend ahead - "lekker , man" Stay on track , all of you , and keep rowing till you get to calm waters. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 08-29-2019, 11:00 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm doing well thanks Ayers, well in terms of staying sober this week anyway. Still struggling a bit with the outcome of the court case and what is to come next but I don't wanna drink over it again. The emotion makes me so angry and overwhelmed and it isn't even my issue as such, I've become way too invested in it and sober or drunk it's ruining me. I am just trying to block it out and ignore it at the moment, however, as long as I'm in this relationship this isn't going to go away.
Anyway I'm 6 days sober and tomorrow WILL be day 7.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone,

Lunchtime check in for me, 12:10pm here now.

Things are pretty good still, I'm happily on day 9 since my last binge so feeling happier and healthier and the clarity in my mind is back. Energy and moods are up and down but all thats normal as we all know so Im just rolling with the punches and embracing the ups.
I'm reading my new "quilt" book, The Unexpected Joys of Being Sober... Love this "recovery quote" so very true!!!
It's beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

This morning I've been working, I have a friend calling round soon just for a half hour os so catch up and a cuppa together, she's a lady I met on the Club Soda site on Facebook and she's fairly local so we meet occasionally.

Been paying some bills today and going for more meds from the vets shortly for my boy. All in all I'm feeling very grounded and calm, just hope it lasts, taking things slow this timed listening to my body. Usually I stop and get so frantic, eratic and hyper...then I crash and burn. Trying to just breath and slow down this time round, looking forward to my first session with the counsellor on the 19th, not too far away now.
My Boyfriends Birthday is on 22nd and I have got him a skydive jump, having it filmed too so we can take it to show his Mum afterwards while she's still with us. He knows about it and can't wait, it should be an awesome day!

Alice, so pleased to hear your Hubby is picking up a bit and best of luck with the job opportunities, I'm sure it will all fall into place.

Bekind, hearing of your yoga often is nudging me to get back to it soon so thanks for that Also I'm like you with the crashes in the afternoons, definitely a morning person more so, sounds like you are too. Have you any plans for the weekend?

Ayers, Glad your Hubby is on the mend too! Loving your saying, "keep rowing till you get to calm waters" If I stat to want a drink this weekend I'll use that, calm waters are ahead its just hanging on in there isn't it. Have a lovely weekend Ayers.

Red, well done on making it to day 7. How are you feeling at the moment? Do you get insomnia when you stop again? I've got it bad at the moment. Are you carrying on with any spiritual work? Thinking of you, lets get over this weekend starting a fresh week next week with clear fresh heads an feeling proud. You any plans to keep strong over the ext couple of days?

Mike, How are you feeling now? Still getting cravings? Are you managing ok?

Hey Dee Hope you have a nice weekend ahead.

Well I'm going to have another coffee now and message my friend and see what time she's calling in.

I'll probably post again later, little anxious I'll fancy a few drinks at some point so want to stay close.

Much Love xxx