Notices

Class of August 2018 Part 12

Old 10-01-2019, 09:14 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Wednesday morning

I'm in - although I think I'll have to come here every day to confess that I 'slipped up" on the sugar. I've tried - honestly - and it's bugging me so much , but I don't know how I will ever beat this thing ...

Gardening has kept me totally busy and preoccupied . Even though I've been wearing gloves , my phone doesn't read my fingerprint anymore and I had to take an anti-flam last night just to walk normally But all fun , and enjoying it - in my element.

Sat thinking about Kitty this morning. If you are reading this, please let us know that you are okay , dear girl. Missing you.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 10-02-2019, 08:18 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hmmmm . . . .so far my promise of being in hasn't happened. I have been busy and relatively happy so that is good.

Ahh . . . gardening . . .keep the stories coming Ayers.

October 1 was like a switch turned off the fall/summer and now it is fall/winter. Chilly.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:04 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Thursday morning

Chilly weather setting in, Bee, good excuse to get those knitting needles out again and get cosy.

Not much success here either with the no sugar. Gosh, it's hard !!

Had a good day yesterday - lovely, in fact, but I broke my rule - not to go to the nursery and buy more plants Oh well, other people spend that money on wine, nails, botox etc...

I am so excited - I saw a little 4 wheel trolley at our local hardware store - you pull it along in the garden, and it has a canvas "body" - and can fold up when not in use. Just the thing for me . My garden is quite large and I never have everything I need with me when I start working. Now I can load my trolley ( and unload my car boot directly into the trolley ) - {Oh no, I forgot, I'm not buying anymore plants ** - and fill it up when I'm pruning away and pull it to the compost heap.

Jaayyyy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 10-04-2019, 01:17 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I had multiple popsicle for dinner last night. While this is certainly better than drinking, it wasn't great nutrition. An hour after I went to be I had to get up and get myself some cheese as I was too hungry to sleep.

On the positive side:

-20 min of yoga/exercise yesterday and 30 min today
- I found an online version of Frankenstein yesterday
- it is pushing the armpit of the day, 3 pm and I am still feeling pretty good.

Now to do 5 more min of exercise, look for my paper copy of frankenstein and start the rhumba.

Life seems very okay right now!
Old 10-04-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Put in another 10 min of bodyweight weight lifting. Also downloaded Mary Shelley's Frankenstein to my computer from Gutenberg. I lost my paper copy when I was some 500 pages into the 800 page book

Tra la la . . . .and onward . . . I miss you all who are scarce these days.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:37 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have good weekend guys

D
Old 10-04-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Sounds like all of us are struggling with the sugar thing,
ugh... I managed 2 days sugar free before I binged on icecream and twizzlers, ugh! But today was sugar free

Bee, popsicles for dinner is my thing, lol. I love how you keep up with yoga. I use to do it regularly, but haven't for a while. I really do miss it.

Ayers, enjoy the gardening!

Hi Dee
Old 10-05-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Yeah the sugar thing and I don't even really have a sweet tooth. Part of my problem is evenings get long. I wish I would keep doing something useful but instead I knit, watch netflix and eat popsicles.

Although I continue to feel better in the afternoons, today I'm feeling a bit stomach upset and head achey. Nothing major. It just isn't helping with my recent determination to exercise more etc.

I have been sorting through more of my Mom's things. It gives me a bit of a pang to see her handwriting. 2012 seems to be the last year she was tuned into her normal interests. I found a phone number for checking river flows on a 2012 list of phone numbers. She was a passionate river runner.

Some things I hang onto although they have no value and are worn but today I threw out her lipsticks. She didn't wear much make up but was a young woman in the fifties when if you wore any makeup it was lipstick. It smelled like her.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:16 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Heya all,

I'm having a day . . . .fortunately not depression just a series of unfortunate events: car wouldn't start this am, called emergency service, took them forever, car started right before they arrived; key member of meeting I set up was an hour late due to bridge repair traffic; found out a young friend of mine had been trafficked (she is back but it is still disturbing).

So now to put some work clothes on, do a bit of yoga and look for a plastic cutting tool.

And onward . . . .
Old 10-07-2019, 04:04 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hello August '18 class! I don't know if you remember me. I was in your class last year. I think I made it through a couple of months, it's hard to remember how long. Anyway, I saw your thread here and it is so good to see that you are all sober and doing so well! I am now in the September 19 class. I'm on 41 days. I'm working hard at making this a lifetime of sobriety.
Have a great night, and thanks for still being here. You inspire me.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:05 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Ah Sober, thanks so much for checking in. I think of you all who started with us and then fell away. I hoped everyone of you found something else or even another time that you committed and made it stick.

I hope the September 19 group is a good one. We are getting a bit thin here so come back and join us if you feel so inclined Sober!!!
Old 10-08-2019, 03:39 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Thanks Bekind. September 19 is a great group. I do remember how much I loved the August 18 group, too. You are such kind and caring people.
I'm having some issues with sugar, too. I want to feel better, and I think my 'eat whatever you want' diet is adding to my exhaustion and body pain. I've heard it can keep your cravings going, too. So, I'm trying to cut down on sugar and eat lots of vegetables and fruit. Also, I'm taking vitamins. I hope it helps!
So nice to hear from you, thanks!
Old 10-08-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Tuesday evening

Aww, Bee, I got so sad when you described going through your mom's things. And the lipstick !! I held on to one of my sister's lipsticks for years and years and also threw it out a while ago . I know exactly what you mean and feel - it also smelled like her. Hugs, my dear friend.

Sober, hi, yes I remember you - I actually looked at a list of names I made right at the start when I joined the August group ... and I was wondering where everyone's paths lead them to. So great to hear from you. Thanks for remembering us and checking in. Early on I really did the "eat what I want " thing. Don't think I would have managed if I started getting strict with myself on that level. So munch away ... lots of time ahead to worry about diet. Sugar ... oh my word - my downfall .

Still mostly in my garden and still loving it. Very much. Lots of aches and pains in the evenings - but what the heck . Had a family birthday lunch on Sunday and another birthday lunch of a friend yesterday . I had difficulty sitting still for so long , but I really enjoyed it . Even though I felt like not going - felt it interfered with my garden time . Silly, isn't it?

My gardener is back after a long absence - heart trouble , poor man. But he is not the same as he was before he got ill - managing half the work in double the time ... but I'm still glad he's back.

Alice, Barbs - hi ! Hope you are well? Hi Dee.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:03 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Ayers, as your garden is coming to life, I am putting mine to bed. I spent a few happy hours out there today while yellow aspen leaves rained down. I have a rock garden and am always rearranging the stones, digging out weeds and separating perennials.

I had a nice useful kind of day.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:29 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Thursday morning

Love how you are "putting your garden to bed", Bee.Nice layer of Aspen leaves for mulch to keep them warm this winter.

I have had a breakthrough in my research and asking around about the fact that my whole body aches the way it does. STATINS !!! As in any cholesterol lowering meds. It seems it is one of the side effects . Been on them for years and only in the last year been suffering - you cannot pinpoint where the ache is , because it is everywhere. So I'm going to see the doc, check out the cholesterol levels and determine if it is still necessary to take them.

And then of course - SUGAR - it actually causes inflamation in your body - never knew that either. Oh well, at least I learn something new every day.

Lots of love and hugs XXXXXXXXXX
Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Second day in a row mostly alone and I am less productive. I will need to change it up tomorrow. A long bike ride would be in order but it is supposed to snow . . .pooh!

Ayers, I didn't know that statins could make you ache but did know that sugar could. I have probably mentioned my sister is a sugar addict and boy oh boy does she struggle. She feels so much better if she stays off of it . Tough stuff.

Well an okay day here but dragged a bit.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Yep I woke up to 2-3 inches of snow today. It is still coming down.

On the good side: I did some 30 min of yoga with the father of my borrowed family. He is so NOT a yoga guy but has kindly done it with me. Also emailed both the lawyer and the accountant (I hate doing this as I feel I'm bothering them. Ugh. Nutty I feel this way but I do.) Read a bit of a document with legalese. I'm now eating a bean soup and planning the next move as I head into my degenerating time afternoon.

Next moves for me: try to send financial report to sister, respond to email from lawyer, and look up where to get liquid propane put in my van.

Well I'm generally grumpy, fearful, and disorganized but also I'm also not drinking, staying off of sugar and doing a bit of yoga so there is that.

Note: today is one year and 2 months since my last drink. The journey continues.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:48 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats bekind

D
Old 10-11-2019, 03:16 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. And as always thanks for your service to everyone here. I am grateful and try to give back to society in my own way.

Another quiet day alone but I did alright.

Alice proposed some resolutions for this month and I signed on. Exercise and finishing Frankenstien have been my goals. Today I actually worked on both: 15 min of yoga, 15 min of exercise and read 20 short pages of Frankenstein. Mary Shelly certainly wasn't a proponent of all life is sacred. The plight of her monster is indeed heart wrenching.

Snow is melting and I'm hoping for it to warm enough to do some final gardening. I shoveled the decks today which got me outside and my blood moving.

This weekend I will couch surf with a friend as I have renters for two nights.

Peace to all where ever you are.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Congratulations Bee! I'm still struggling with the sugar. Do you have any tips that you have found helpful?

Ayers, I know my dad was on statins and after many years he had to change his meds due to terrible pain in his legs. After the change in meds, the pain went away. Hopefully it will be a nice easy fix for you. I suspect my current aches and pains are due to my sugar consumption, ugh.

Karen, it's so good to see you. So glad you are still working on sobriety. Please keep us posted on how you're doing

Well, my son called the other day and told me that he and his wife are trying to have a baby, so with any luck, I'll be a gramma in 2020

I hope everyone has a great weekend!