Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #8

Old 02-20-2019, 05:29 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  
p***enger

Wow -- so much --

Congratulations on your 1 year, Aly -- I'm sorry I missed the day but I'll mark it on my calendar for next Feb 17. You're awesome!

FBL - I hope you have full and rapid recovery on your eye. Scary!

Carlos, get well soon!

Glee, I'll be checking back here on Feb 23

SG -- thank you so much for the link to Jerry & Bob Weir "When I Paint" -- it's a beautiful version I'd never heard before.

xxxxoooo

Well it sure has been a long hard ride.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:26 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Hi courage! So, so glad to see you. I hope all is well. ♥♥♥
Old 02-21-2019, 05:48 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

FBL, so glad you went to DR early and got that taken care of. My old boss' retina used to detach and he was always having surgery. But wishing you the best on your recovery and let us know how you are. ♥
Old 02-22-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  
p***enger

Congratulations on your 5 year mark, Gleefan!

I've learned so much from your example. Thank you for being a friend. I hope that today you take time to feel proud of how far you've come.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:20 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats from me too Gleefan

D
Old 02-23-2019, 05:04 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for all the kind words of support. Just a quick update. The eye is coming along very slowly. My next check up is this coming Friday. Getting lots of R&R, which is something I really needed anyway. I can read and watch a little TV, so I'm not going totally stir crazy. Will be back to work on Monday, but the boss knows I have to take it VERY easy for the next couple of weeks at least. So grateful for my recovery and ALL of you!
Old 02-23-2019, 05:29 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Aww, thanks Dee and Courage! Thanks everyone for your support, friendship, fellowship, and love over the past 5 years.

FBL - I'm so glad you checked in to let us know what's going on with your eye. Prayers for a quick recovery!

I was thinking this morning of the difference between today and 5 years ago. Then I was so afraid of what I was going to lose by not drinking, and today I have too much to lose to drink.

Five years ago when people with some sobriety under their belt, like Dee, made similar statements, I found it far-fetched. I couldn't understand it. I am so grateful that people with long term sobriety were honest and forthcoming about what their lives were like before sobriety, about what their challenges were. I was able to focus on our similarities and trust them.

I also found it so helpful when others shared some of their tips for managing those challenges. Some of the things I tried worked for me. If you are ever wondering why I go to great length to describe what's bothering me, and how I worked through it, now you know!

I have a neat look-how-far-I've-come story in that format: This week at work I observed a supervisor who I am partially responsible for overseeing not following the proper workflow . He's responsible for taking escalated calls, and he refused one because he was "on 15 minute break." However, in his role he's not actually on break until he is not on the floor. I observed him sitting at his desk, chatting with coworkers, etc. for about 20 minutes. At that time, I went to his desk and asked to chat for a minute - and he told me he was about to go on break. Hmmm.

We sat down and I shared what I observed. He was very defensive and rude. This isn't the first time I've shared improper handling of issues with him, and he was just as defensive and rude then as well. The first time he was rude to me, I assumed it was all in my delivery, because of my own personal insecurities about the way I handle conflict. This week when he was rude, I assumed again it was all in my delivery, because of my own personal insecurities about the way I handle conflict.

Recognizing this might be about me, I worked with my director on how to approach the situation, At first I was trying to build a him vs. me case, that old dysfunctional behavior creeping in, but I pushed through that and instead devised a game plan of how I could approach the supervisor with some humility and honesty. The supervisor was defensive at first, but we broke through some of those walls.

I realized it was about him, not me, and was able to observe my own false thinking about myself. Just because I used to handle conflict poorly due to messed up childhood dynamics doesn't mean I still do now.

Stopping drinking has enriched my life is more ways than I ever could have imagined!

Thanks everyone for being there for me!
Old 02-23-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
I was thinking this morning of the difference between today and 5 years ago. Then I was so afraid of what I was going to lose by not drinking, and today I have too much to lose to drink.
Great reflections of your growth during sobriety Glee. Many congrats
on five years!

Take it easy FBL! Glad the eye is recovering albeit on a slower track than you would probably like.

Hump Day for me. Another night of closing the store.

Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 02-23-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Glee, your 5 years is wonderful and so inspiring for me. I loved your post and may I always be 4 years behind you. ♥♥♥
Old 02-26-2019, 03:34 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

After several days of mostly looking down at my feet, I can finally start looking up again, although looking thru the right eye is like looking thru an ice cube. I can see light and some shapes, but hardly any detail at all, which I guess is normal, considering I'm trying to look thru a gas bubble! Even checked in at the office for a bit yesterday. The boss totally understands that I need to slow down for awhile. I had the best night of sleep last night that I've had in over a week. Starting to feel like my old self a bit, even caught myself smiling again this morning. Next doctor's visit is Friday, so hoping for some good news.

Thanks for all the support!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:15 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

So glad to hear that you are making progress FBL. I know how annoying it must be for you not to be active and going 100% at work, but sometimes you have to let your body heal at its own pace. You will be back at the arcade before you know it!

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Best wishes for a good day all!
Old 02-26-2019, 09:06 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are making forward progress and taking it slowly. Sending healing energy your way FBL. I hope you can see well out of the eye soon. ♥
Old 02-28-2019, 11:56 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Woke up this morning to find out it is March. Snow is gently falling in the early morning. My blooming daffodils tell me spring is around the corner.

I started a reduced carb diet three weeks ago in order to lose weight and to try to moderate my blood sugars. I am down seven pounds in that time span and feel a lot better not lugging extra pounds around. I bought a pedometer to measure my steps daily. I do up to 24,000 steps a shift, depending on my role on a given day. Walking is a great way to burn some calories.

I used to track calories just so that my drinking didn't make me fat. I
would often skip a meal just to allow myself drinking calories because drinking was more important. It feels so good to be tracking calories for health reasons these days.

How is the eye coming along FBL?

Have a good day all!
Old 03-01-2019, 11:34 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

SG, that is fantastic. Losing 7 pounds is great. I'll have to reduce my carbs too. I feel better when I do, but I really love them! But our health is more important.

FBL-good vibes for the eye. I hope you are comfortably coming along.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Great report from the doctor today. Everything is healing nicely. Don't have to see him again for 4 weeks!
Old 03-02-2019, 01:46 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Great news FBL!

Had one of those moments yesterday that would have led to early drinking if this happened four years ago. We had an unexpected couple inch snow storm that caught everyone unprepared. Even the Turnpike was untouched by plows and I texted my wife about how horrible the roads were, thinking she would just go into work a little late. She gets this brilliant idea to drive to her office to pick up her laptop at 4:30 am, "before people get out on the roads." She hit a big snow covered pothole and blew out one tire, and severely bubbled the other front tire. She drove for miles on the rim. I got home to change a tire in the snow and spent a few hours at the tire garage waiting for two new tires. I am always changing tires in the snow it seems. Two hundred and fifty dollars later, all is good. I was furious, as the roads were perfectly drivable a couple hours later, as I told her they would be. To say I was angry was an understatement. Thankfully, no one was hurt and I never felt the urge to drink. It's only money and time, right?

Have a good day all!
Old 03-02-2019, 05:34 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Star, sorry to hear about the car. With all the fluctuations in temperature, we have potholes everywhere here this winter. They even had to shut down part of the freeway last week as an entire section had buckled. As long as no one was hurt, I'd say that's a win!
Old 03-02-2019, 11:02 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  
p***enger

sg, I'm glad you made it through the blowout -- the tire & with your wife as well, especially the combo. Anger is something very dangerous for an alcoholic. "We have found that justified anger ought to be left to those better qualified to handle it."

FBL, I'm glad your doctor is pleased with your recovery. I hope you're doing a lot more listening than reading while the eye mends.

--sarah
Old 03-02-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad your wife was OK sg - hopefully the winter will let up soon

D
Old 03-02-2019, 11:50 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Courage, you are spot on about anger. Usually, any drinking thoughts I have these days will be triggered by anger. Thankfully, my life today is mostly spent being grateful and being pretty chill. Thanks for the concern.

Possibly the biggest storm of the year expected to hit late this afternoon. It will likely be a zoo at the store today. My goal today is to find a coworker to switch shifts with tomorrow morning, as I will never make a 28 mile drive to work if we get as much as anticipated. Some days, I wish I could just hop a subway or train to work and not worry about road conditions. Looks like this March will be a repeat of last March, with constant snow possibilities closing out the winter. Bet you don't miss that at all Carlos!

Have a good day all!