Congratulations Aly!

D
Old 02-17-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, Dee!
Old 02-17-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats Aly!! Getting a year in under your belt is HUGE! Well done!
Old 02-17-2019, 06:17 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Many thanks, SG. It sure seemed like a long time, so it does feel like an accomplishment.
I appreciate it. xxoo
Old 02-18-2019, 03:19 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

The great thing about getting a year in is the confidence it can inspire in yourself when you find yourself doubting your strength in certain moments. It shows that you made it through every holiday, family gathering, concert, and birthday and found a plan to keep yourself not drinking. As Dee likes to say, you have spent a year adding sobriety tools to your toolbox that will be invaluable down the road.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:31 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Way to go, Aly! One year is HUGE!
Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Aww, you all are so kind. Thank you so very much for the much needed support! ♥♥♥
Old 02-18-2019, 10:19 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Congrats again, Aly! So proud of you!
Glee, you too. Five years is awesome!
FBL, I used to love Mrs Pac-Man. Cintepede, Donkey Kong and Frogger too

I am enjoying this thread as much as the gratpack thread!

I hope IW and SG and anyone else with a cold, gets better fast. My family’s been sick too. It’s been one of those winters. Of course, this is all happening just before a ski trip! I’m looking forward to just being in the condo relaxing. The condo owner told me they have included a nice bottle of wine to enjoy on our trip. I’m glad for the heads-up to prepare myself. Though I don’t expect to have any temptation, you never know. Good for my husband. He’s a normie and will savor that bottle the whole week. I would have guzzled it like a shot and right out of the bottle. Lol. Glad that’s not me anymore

Just got back from visiting my Dad and his wife in TX. Aging isn’t for sissy’s, folks. I’m counting my blessings! Also hoping for a massive heart attack to take me quickly before things get too bad. Though I’m fairly low risk for a heart attack. I guess the best thing to do going through old age is face it with grace, acceptance, courage, fearlessness and staying positive. Reminds me of Gilmer, though I know she was not old . It’s important to stay connected too. That’s a problem with my Dad right now. He started isolating, isn’t going to church anymore. I talked to them about that this weekend. He promised me he’ll get out more, or even find an online friend group.

Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 02-18-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Aly - Congrats on one year sober! What did you do differently this time?

For me going to AA & working the program helped me. I hoped to have success with weight loss by enrolling in a popular weight loss program, going to meetings and weigh ins once a week. It didn’t work for me, though. I hope I can find a way to undo my sweet tooth andchange my thoughts and behaviors around food.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:20 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Thank you, Glee. You know, I think I just got sick of it and I had heard things started to get a little easier after a year. I was just bound and determined to make it to a year, still ODAAT, always for me.

I understand about the weight frustrations too. I'm always trying to lose weight. Right now I've kind of plateaued and maybe gained a couple of pounds after losing a fair amount. I have a sweet tooth too! ODAAT with that too. Best to you on that!

Thanks again for the support. ♥
Old 02-19-2019, 04:30 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I've been a little concerned the past couple of days. My right eye has suddenly gotten blurry and there's a little bit of blockage in my peripheral vision. I almost went to urgent care yesterday, but it got to be too late, so thought I'd see if a night's rest would help, but it didn't. Anything medical, especially with my eyes, freaks me out as I depend on them for my work. I'm trying my best not to use Dr. Google, but I think I really need to get an eye exam today, if possible. If I can't get in to a regular eye doctor, I think I'll go to urgent care. Wish me luck!
Old 02-19-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

FBL, that started to happen to me in my mid forties. I would be seeing fine, then one eye would get blurry and I couldn't read. Then it would correct itself. Turns out it was the start of cataracts for me. I ended up having surgery at 54 and that problem has gone away. I can't remember if you were glasses or not, but sometimes a prescription change can help. You need to remain King of Retro Video Games!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Good luck FBL. You really should get it looked at the sooner the better, just to be on the safe side. I sure hope it's nothing serious. Best.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:27 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Thanks for the get-well wishes, all.

WooHoo, congrats on the 12, Ali.

Hope you get to the bottom of the eye issue, FBL.

F-50, enjoy your wine-less ski vaca.

Tick-tock, GF...just a few more days to go.

Hi, SG and Dee.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:31 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Fbl - How did everything turn out with your eye? I hope you were able to get an appointment today.

I’ve been a bit frustrated and tense lately regarding work. By lately I mean since the holidays. I put my feelings out to the universe, and said the serenity prayer. It’s my go-to when I feel jumbled. What resonated was “Thy will not mine be done.”

Many times when I’m upset I find it’s because my focus has become centered on my will - instead of my Higher Power’s or anyone else’s. I lose sight that there are other people who I may need to serve, nurture or cooperate with.

Today at work I was fed up with colleagues who pass up opportunities to be good teammates. I became so frustrated with the challenges it created for “me” today. I didn’t take the time to be logical and think about it. I let my actions be dictated by emotions instead of logic. Instead of feeling bad for my misstep, I just want to refocus on thinking about others.

I never, ever would have thought that I’d be guided by AA. Throughout the last five years it’s given me the tools to get nudged in the right direction. Im grateful I became desperate enough to try it.

Have a good day!
Old 02-20-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post

Today at work I was fed up with colleagues who pass up opportunities to be good teammates. I became so frustrated with the challenges it created for “me” today.
These two sentences basically encapsulate everything that frustrates me about my job. When colleagues pass up opportunities to be good teammates, I immediately am racking my brain to determine whether I did not coach them properly, or are they just being lazy? What should my response be as a manager? Am I the one at fault? It knocks me off my game and makes me a less effective manager for everyone else. The Serenity Prayer is very wise and great to reflect upon in challenging times.

A situation at work is brewing where another deposit error was made my some of my coworkers, but one of the people involved apparently got into a heated argument with my boss about it yesterday. Saying that it is ridiculous to be written up for a small clerical error and threatened to take it to HR and demand a transfer. While I hope he succeeds, I am also frustrated that those of us whom have been documented previously will have this on our record, and the others possibly not. This will be a huge morale killer for the management team if some folks got documented, and some don't. If a boss is not consistent, he or she loses a lot of credibility with his underlings. It will be interesting to say the least in how things play out.

How did you make out at the doctors yesterday FBL?

Glad you are feeling better Carlos!

Expecting 3-6 inches of snow then a sleet and freezing rain finale today. Thankfully, I have the day off. I have a fully stocked fridge, the cars are gassed up, just got an oil delivery, septic tanks emptied and picked up a new exercise bike yesterday that I will assemble today. I am good as long as I have power!

Have a good day all!
Old 02-20-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Just a quick update, had emergency surgery yesterday (2/19) for a partially detached retina in my right eye. The surgery was a success, however I have to take it easy for awhile, so not sure when I'll be back. Thanks for all the encouraging words.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:21 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

FBL - so glad you got that checked out: wishing you all the very best for your healing
Old 02-20-2019, 03:23 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad they found the problem and fixed it - take it easy man

D
Old 02-20-2019, 04:45 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Rest easy FBL.