Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #8

Old 02-13-2019, 03:47 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My pet project went off to the printer yesterday. I'm happy with how it turned out. We're up to 400 copies sold and it won't even be here for another 4-5 weeks! I have another quick project to work on, then the boss wants to put me on our flagship Top Pop Singles book. That's far and away out biggest seller and I'm looking forward to diving in soon!

Have a great Wednesday, all!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:18 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Congrats FBL!
Old 02-13-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Well done FBL!
Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done FBL

D
Old 02-14-2019, 06:12 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Yesterday, I was waiting around for my septic guy to come pump out my tank. He got weather delayed and didn't make it to my house until almost 6:30. It was pretty comical helping him by holding a flashlight so he could see what he was doing. I will go back to warmer and brighter day clean outs once again in the future.

Don't know if I mentioned it here, but had a somewhat alarming spike in blood sugar levels on my last blood work. I have been prediabetic for many years and haven't thought much about it. Last blood work had me near the Type 2 Diabetic line. Since then, I have begun following a diabetic type diet, low in carbs and higher in fat and protein. I have already dropped six pounds and am feeling good. Just losing weight should help overall. In my line of work, it is far too easy to be eating cookies and other sweets all day long. I am also back to tracking my food intake on my phone once again. Every time I contemplate eating something, I take a minute to figure out if it is worth the carb and sugar load in my daily routine. I do enjoy eating bacon for breakfast every day, so this diet has it perks. I am even beginning to enjoy eating non fat Greek yogurt.

I hope everyone is doing well and Happy Valentine's Day to all!
Old 02-14-2019, 01:18 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

(((stargazer))). I'm glad to hear you found out and are doing great taking care of your diabetes. I hope everything works out really well. ♥

Have a great Valentines Day to all my valentines!! ♥♥♥
Old 02-14-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Happy Valentines Day, everyone!
Congrats, FBL!
Stargazer, that’s good you caught it early. I was prediabetic (I think I even tipped the scale) when I was actively drinking. It was all due to the alcohol because I had an otherwise healthy diet (mostly). A year after quitting, my blood work was normal .

I try to stick to low carb too. I used to think that gluten free was the same as low carb. What a dope! Some of the GF stuff is higher in carbs and sugar and the wheat. So I try to do both GF and low carb. I’m still doing dairy free which is harder than anything. I might let myself have a little goat or feta cheese. I think it’s lower in lactose?

My doctor recently said I have acid reflux, which appears to have started being on (probably caused by) antibiotics for the sinus infection. So now I’m on somehing for reflux and supposed to stay off coffee and caffeine too. Oh, what will I do? It’s only temporary. I know it will pass. And the best thing is I’m sober!
Old 02-14-2019, 08:14 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Courage - I hope to see you back soon.

FBL - Congrats on completing your project & picking up the plum new assignment. . I’m amazed at how little downtime you have between books!!

SG - What’s the recommended ratio of carbs/protein/fat? I’ve needed to lose weight for the past five years.

Fearless - You’re right that being sober is what matters. For me that comes first and is what allows other things to fall into place.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glee, I am working on the percentages myself. I am trying to keep my carbs around 150 grams or less a day. I don't want to do Keto, which is 50 grams or less. Most folks average between 225-325 grams a day. Since the body turns carbs into sugar, restricting them should help with my blood sugars. My thinking is without all the carbs to burn, my body will start burning fat stores for energy. I will keep you posted.

Fearless, I became a "healthy" daily drunk by switching from beer to rum and wine, which is lower carbs. I actually gained weight when I quit drinking because I developed an enormous sweet tooth trying to make up all that missing liquid sugar.

Have a good day all!
Old 02-16-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

Next weekend I am going to mark 5 years sober. It started after a bad night at my oldest son’s youth hockey tournament. This year on 2/23 my oldest will be, you guessed it, participating in a hockey tournament.

I was so scared and sad when I stopped drinking. I owe any modicum of sanity that first year to Dee, who somehow is everywhere someone needs him (I haven’t figured out how yet), the Febbies in the class of February 2014 thread, and the Undies who I met on the One Year and Under thread. No matter how heavy, or contentious things got on the busier pages, I found the most amazing groups of people who lifted up and carried each other.

Staying sober is one of the most difficult things I’ve ever done. Sharing my experience, strength and hope is way outside my comfort zone. I’d rather joke around or listen to someone else talk about their issues than open up about the work I’m doing on myself.

Having the opportunity to do go deeper than stopping drinking has been such a gift. Going to AA meetings and working on the steps, learning about boundaries, keeping it simple, living in the present, self care - these are guidelines for living well that I never really understood before.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:03 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Good stuff, Glee! Congrats on 5 years! You may not know it, but your posts here have inspired many of us. Thanks for being here!
Old 02-16-2019, 07:13 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post

I was so scared and sad when I stopped drinking.
This was so true Glee. I felt such a deep sadness breaking up with alcohol. I expected alcohol to continue to always be my daily, lifelong companion, and the thoughts of that relationship falling apart was so scary and frightening.

I have always shared a deep kinship with your posts, as we share the teenager struggle, and well as working deep within the corporate world. It is comforting to me to know that there is someone always a few steps ahead of me blazing a path that I can follow when I get there.

Have a good day all!
Old 02-16-2019, 09:41 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Glee, Congrats on your 5 years coming up! That is truly wonderful. Love, Aly xxoo
Old 02-16-2019, 02:32 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

HEY COURAGE...get that ear and voice back soon. You are missed!!

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Good stuff, Glee! Congrats on 5 years! You may not know it, but your posts here have inspired many of us. Thanks for being here!
Well said, FBL. I could not agree more. Glee is a sober bestie and I feel quite fortunate to have shared this journey with her and all of you here.

I'm just home, sick - again...second time this winter. Last time for 10 days and going on 6 this time around.

First time in like 15 Whole 30's that I've been sick during one of them. It has been exhausting to cook food with almost no appetite for going on days now. Anyway, day 14 of 30 and I'm still compliant. I sooo want some comfort food to feed this thing, but, I'm stubborn...you know, an alkie.

Best to all....

Carlos
Old 02-16-2019, 04:06 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wow 5 years Glee - thats fantastic
You've really been a great example of recovery to me - and I'm sure to many others - but thanks for the kind words anyway

D
Old 02-16-2019, 09:16 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Aww, thanks you guys.

I’m very grateful for this wonderful group.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:59 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Carlos, I hope you can ride out feeling poorly once again. It has been a nasty winter illness wise this year. My month of bronchitis is slowly winding down and letting me sleep a bit better at night. Nothing to do with a virus but patience.

Have a good day all!
Old 02-17-2019, 03:00 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Administrator

get well Carlos and SG

D
Old 02-17-2019, 04:42 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Carlos & Star, hope you both feel better soon!

Spent a fun day at the retro arcade yesterday. I racked up 3 personal high scores, including on my favorite machine, Pac-Man.

More snow on the way today (2-4 inches). Winter started slowly, but it's now entrenched for sure.

Have a great Sunday, gang!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Well, today is my one year sober anniversary. I've been on SR for almost 6 years and this is the first time I've made it a whole year sober.

Carlos and SG, hope you all feel better soon.

Happy Sunday to all!