Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #8

Old 03-31-2019, 03:58 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I agree, Courage. It's all about letting yourself feel the emotion (positive or negative) and then letting it go. Most of us numbed ourselves for several years, so learning how to deal with those emotions again takes practice. I'll likely be "practicing" it for the rest of my life!
Old 03-31-2019, 07:44 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Fbl - Good news about your eye healing a bit better than anticipated. I continue to keep your healing in my thoughts.

On Thursday I had one of those days where outcomes were better than expected. I was able to get my son’s school to add a couple of accommodations to his IEP and the day went really well. I thought at one point what comes up must come down, but reminded myself to get focused on the moment and enjoy it. Then Friday a lot of things went wrong. Celebrations or frustrations were triggers for me. It’s such a blessing to get through each day alcohol free; to have reached a point where I can remind myself to enjoy the good stuff and let go of the rough stuff is an even bigger blessing. I’m grateful to have found a healthy way to approach life through my recovery.

Anger is difficult for me, too. It doesn’t help that I have what I refer to as a “long” memory. (I hold grudges). While I was railing on about some slight or injustice that happened in the past, my 12 year old asked me why I can’t just let things go. I don’t have a good answer. I have found, though, that I find myself in fewer situations where I’m stewing than I did before recovery. I think I have better boindaries on who I trust. There’s definitely room for improvement though!

Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I totally lost track of this thread as it dropped from my feed like a winter coat in springtime.

I hope all are doing well. I am glad that the eye continues to improve FBL and that you had a good day at the card show. 1971 is a great year to collect baseball cards. I had quite the collection as a ten year old!

Glee, I used to think along the lines you mentioned. If things are going well, the other shoe has to drop. I don't worry about things like I used too. Oh, I still fret about work and politics and the meaning of life, but I don't let it consume my thoughts. I truly wake up each morning hangover free, and tell myself,"My life is sensational." Not being an active addict gives one a totally new perspective on what is important and what can just be. Even if I am having a crap day, it is still way better than every single day of my drinking addiction was. I am down 13 pounds in 11 weeks, and the pain in my one knee that was nearly debilitating has largely subsided. When one averages 15,000-24,000 steps a day at work, that extra weight can really be destructive on joints and muscles.

Carlos, are you back to 100 percent and in your routine once again?

Courage, how are you making out these days? Will you be teaching this summer?

Have a good day all!
Old 04-10-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Hi, all...I'm still alive and sober. I'll catch up soon.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:27 AM
  # 485 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Day 51 post-op and the gas bubble just won't give up! Have a brief check-up tomorrow and so it goes.

We got a couple inches of heavy, wet snow last night. Old man winter is also being tenacious this year.

Have a great Thursday, all!
Old 04-11-2019, 06:54 AM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I think you got off easy FBL. I saw some videos of folks further north and west of you and they got snow measured in feet!

Have a good day all!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:28 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Hi

Carlos - Missing you, sober bestie! I’m glad at how full our sober lives are though.

FBL - Amazed st your patience for the eye gas bubble.

SG - I agree that sober life, with its peaks and valleys is way better than any day consumed by addiction.

I know I’m slipping away from my recovery principles when worry moves in. Thankfully I learned I can press the reset button and get back in touch with the principles that saved me - gratitude, humility, acceptance, service.

A mom I know who her kiddo experiencing some of the same disappointments my kids have experienced. She was sharing how unfair it was with me and a couple other women whose kids have also experienced the same stuff. All these years she’s been on the other side of it and I ripped into her.

Humbly sharing my mess up du jour with close friends, and taking action on their feedback has been so helpful to getting me back to a place where serenity is my goal, not comeuppance.

And the neat thing about a spiritual program for me is the many opportunities it presents. I found myself reading about the theory that it will keep happening until I unravel my own karma. Then at work I found myself in the position of coaching someone who had a coarse interaction with someone else. I heard a neat quote on the radio about the beauty of failure for allowing people to put forth effort to change. And on and on.

Well I’m off to work. Have a great day everyone.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:05 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Checking in to say hello!
Old 04-16-2019, 07:07 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hi glee!

Hope all are doing well!
Old 04-16-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 05-11-2019, 06:49 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hello friends
Old 05-11-2019, 07:09 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

hiya Courage

D
Old 05-12-2019, 09:53 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

So good to see you Courage!! I sure hope everything is great with you! ♥♥♥
Old 05-12-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  
p***enger

Pretty good. I caught a bad cold over Easter & end up bruising my ribs coughing! But I'm feeling pretty good now, and the academic term is coming to an end. My last class is Tuesday.

How are you?
Old 05-12-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Thanks Courage. I've been well, still the ups and downs with my family and a couple of health issues (not too serious) that I'm waiting to get looked at. Other than that, staying sober and trying to keep on the straight and narrow.
It really is good to see you, my friend, whenever we can get you!
Old 05-14-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hi Courage and Aly!

Glad to see you folks doing well!
Old 05-14-2019, 12:46 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Thank you, SG! Hope you're well too!
Old 05-14-2019, 04:56 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

we continue here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-post-9-a.html (The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #9)

D