Notices

One Year & Over Part 53

Old 09-08-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

I can't catch up. I can't catch up. I can't catch up.

Slightly panicked here. Help may be needed to rescue crazy woman in Columbus.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Midwest,
You ought to pick up a nice Yaesu unit and 2 meter handheld with the weather getting as crazy as it is doing lately. I never got my general having grown up when code was required. In the "good buddy" days of the mid-70s to mid-80s I had a PDL II beam antenna on a rotor and shot Skip on SSB all over the world. Us illegals shooting CB freq sideband skip used Q codes and exchanged QSL cards like real hams. I had an early Hallicrafters component system with separate transmitter, receiver, and VFO. I only listened on those bands because I was too busy then to study and practice code. I used an Astatic D-104 lollypop on a base station Pace 1000BC Sidetalk CB/SSB base station, and had a JC Penney 6241 Mobile CB SSB unit. I peaked out my output slugs to just under max tolerances so my PEP was about18 Watts. IU shot Australia, Hawaii, and even Switzerland once and have the QSL cards to prove it. Funny how we can go hog wild over one slice of a field and go overboard and then just move to other things. I was into exact measurements of my big RG8 cable so the SWR came out perfect for the rotating beams. 2 meter and repeaters were just getting to be popular but today's units are amazing. I can't believe I remembered all that. (I only had to look up D-104 as I originally mis-remembered it as an Astatic D100, but it is a D104) I haven't had any radio other than a Cell phone since 1981. Sorry, I haven't said those words or thought about Q codes in decades!

Toots,
Yup, guilty!

Sassy,
Nope, I just decided at the last minute to look up to be sure it is sapphire for 45th Anniversary and then went to Sam's Club and they had a man made "engineered" sapphire set with a pendant, earrings, and ring but they were set in sterling. Asked about a nearby jewelry store, and found them there, an hour before dinner. Kismet! Serendipity.

Gil,
I read an awesome piece today from Flipboard which I subscribe to and read. They gather in depth pieces or perspective articles that enlighten from any and all sources and send ten links in email with synopsis a day. I am lucky if I have time for one. I made time for this one because I am concerned with the anti expert and education movement by those fearful of the changes happening fast around us. This article is worth the five minutes: https://flipboard.com/@flipboard/-ho...2Fpolitico.com

PJ!
I love your coffee house hopping idea. Sure beats bar hopping in financial and emotional costs. Sometimes physical. I am desperately trying to lose weight and my SH brought home a half gallon carton of salted caramel frozen yogurt. I finished it off in three days! And that was trying to stay away. I love herbal teas and two flavors of teabags from my home area in Connecticut. Bigelow's Constant Comment tea, and their Cinnamon tea. I have foodie friends that buy teas costing 50 bucks a tin and up, they are terrific but a bit too rich for me. I loved coffee houses in the 60's and 70's with the old giant copper and steel coffee machines. We had one called the peanut gallery and the thing there was great coffee, and roasted peanuts in their shells on your newspaper covered table. The idea was to just drop the shells on the table and floor. Coffee house people are different than Starbucks people. We are their parents I guess.

FBL,
"You are a lucky man, Itch."
Thanks, I agree.
Great on Fran! I hope she continues.

Mags!
It's never a moan from you. How would you feel if a friend in RW didn't tell you they were on a rough patch? I am glad you are getting some relief.

Thanks Gil,
I agree completely about the nurse dismissing Mags.
If Coffee doesn't agree with you you should be backing off. No tail tucking needed.

SG,
"Itchy, I am happy Mrs. Itchy loved the ear rings! I hope that your aunt can ride the storm out safely. "
Thank you SG. I hope so too.

OOTT,
Good for you quitting coffee. Sorry, but my grandparents on my mom's side emigrated here from Colombia in the 1920s. My dad was from England and came here in 1949, and I arrived in 1952. As a result I was given Cafe Bustello from about age six. For kids it is common to serve them half coffee and half sweetened condensed milk or just evaporated milk as I got. (Bustello was actually a Cuban brand using Colombian coffees and sold here in the US) I still drink about 8 to 10 mugs a day.(10oz mugs) They say it helps prevent Alzheimer's.

Andy, Thanks it did.

PJ,
Great point about safe socializing without the boring loud alligator station drunks. I am going to see if they have any old style ones here for socializing. Starbucks is a cold place where everyone is immersed in their texting or computer or earbuds in sending a clear message of not wanting human contact, indeed avoiding it.

Et tu Sassy? (coffee )
Sassy I never had that reaction from Prednisolone. But when I got the steroid shot in my lumbar spine under anesthesia they didn't warn me. I was up all night and all the next day without feeling any fatigue at all. It was funny to me to do that without feeling a need to sleep or any outward signs of sleep lack.

FBL,
Congrats on 8.22 years!

Mid,
Your dad too huh? MY wife can't take more than a cup or two either. She says if she drank as much as I did she would be beyond palpitations, her heart would explode!
Glad you got your nap out.

SE!
I'm happy for you being non nauseous again. I love onion bagels and a few years ago discovered they sold tubs of Philly Cream Cheese with real salmon bits in it. Saves me the cost of Lox Nova/New York deli style. Did you know that those cream cheese mixtures are the same or less calories as real Butter? Is this your first baby? It is all good from here until month 8, then it is just hanging in there. I think the discomfort is nature's way of making you look forward to the short term pains of delivery. Isn't it great that you are sober for your family's newest member?

Mags!
I am soooooo glad you are feeling good again! Having crumbly bones in 20 years compared to the side effects of not breathing I think is a great trade off. So do all your downhill skiing, and scuba diving in the next ten years.

Suze!
I am here, why panicked?? Getting too real for comfort?

I am great! The weather is dry and cool here, wonderful. I am going to cut grass today which when riding the zero turn mower there is no effort so meditation or singing the same tune over and over in my head is what happens. (repeating the same song over and over is my mantra/chant)

Have wonderful weekend Overs!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Re-Member

PSA (Pubic service announcement)
This is real and (hopefully) only affects the USA.

Equifax has known about this breach for a month. It affects about half the population of the USA. Passwords, Social Security Numbers, emails, ALL COMPROMISED.

I just started the signup program after clicking on Impact and finding out I was affected. What happens is you can check if you were impacted only. Then they give you a date and you go back to the website and continue there at that time to enroll in free security monitoring to insure no identity theft occurs.

I strongly recommend you go to the website and begin the process as soon as you can.

This is terrible. I now have to prepare to change all my passwords. Fortunately I can do this tediously but easily. The most important ones are pension logins, Social Security Logins, Banking logins, Internet provider logins, GoDaddy logins, PayPal, auto ordering like Amazon, etc.

Go here and start:

https://www.cnet.com/news/equifax-da...17807471581031

Take action now. about half the USA population has had their passwords, social security numbers all personal data breached at Equifax, one of the three major credit credit reporting companies. Included in the breach are credit card numbers and Social Security numbers emails, passwords, everything!

Cue M.A.S.H. PA system (That is all)
Old 09-08-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Too much to do Itchy love....it's hard organising a wedding with no family or friends here. As in physically with me.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Coffee is really good for me as it does not have any adverse effects no matter how much I drink. Here is a page of search results:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=coffe+...ZI&form=MOZLBR
Old 09-08-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Suze, you will do brilliantly! I can't help too much becausde my wedding wasn't. My FIL, ever the frugal one decided that the wedding would cost him $10,000.00. So he said that rather than waste the money on a big wedding he would be happy to give us starting off money to the tune of $1500. At that time, 1972, that was a great start. So we eloped to Marshall Texas, and hour away where no blood tests were required (three day wait) and got married, with a friend and her parents present. I was 20. We are still at it. You could do that. If not then count your blessings to be able to have your unique wedding day.
Just remember nothing is so important he won't marry you over it, and no guests will refuse to attend if it isn't a million dollar wedding. This is your day, stop obsessing and start making cuts and decisions without freaking out over each one. I know easy to say. What about his family? Anything helpful there?
Go here and check it out: About Us // The Overwhelmed Bride Wedding Blog ? The Overwhelmed Bride // Wedding Blog + SoCal Wedding Planner

More here: https://www.bing.com/search?q=pre+we...42202580FB1683

Don't forget we're here too kiddo!
Old 09-08-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Thank you love.....I will check that out when I have time.
Setting the table for a dinner party.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Magsie

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I can't catch up. I can't catch up. I can't catch up.

Slightly panicked here. Help may be needed to rescue crazy woman in Columbus.
Suze, don't forget to breathe, in slowly then breathe out, slowly, several times. writing lists may help, you'll probably say you've got hundreds of those! Your day will come and go will go, oh so too quickly, do relish every second up to your wedding day....oh and then every second after

Itchy, I don't seem to have any problem with sleeping on these meds, but hubby does, from my coughing, apparently, bless him
Old 09-08-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Well, Itch--it looks like my household is comprised, too.

If true, it's especially frustrating for me, because my CC kept being compromised last winter, and I had to change all of my easy passwords to difficult ones!

It will kill me if I have to change them all over again!

I did read the Flipboard article. I agree with the author's assessment. I think one of the core problems in the US today is that we all, intellectual or not, expert or not, rich or poor, black, white or brown, have abandoned the concept of respect. As the author says, everyone thinks he's just as qualified to pontificate as the next guy! Many colleges are becoming like nursery schools for kids who have never had correction or direction, and who rule by tantrums.

I think a good bit of the respect problem stems from the advent of the sound bite. Officials fear to explain their reasoning because they know that one unguarded word out of 100 will be snatched out of context and trumpeted as the most scandalous word of the day.

Because of the idea that everyone's an expert, the true experts lose patience with the public and treat them with contempt. They cease dialogue and just ridicule and deride.

Nobody seems to have the desire anymore to listen deeply to one another and weigh opinions other than his own; everyone "stands with a fist," knowing perfectly well that his own personal take is the only one he will ever need.

Too many people are batted about by feelings nowadays, and the most vehement among us on every side are awarded the microphone. Reason in public discourse seems to be a thing of the ancient past.

What a shame!
Old 09-08-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats a big data breach

I'm sure all will go well Venus

D
Old 09-08-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Support to all
Old 09-08-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Itchy- I got my general license after they dropped the morse code requirement. I never did learn code but my husband did and he is really good at it. He is really the one big into ham radio and kind of brought me into it. It is quite fun. We do have some handheld radios. (Yaesu & icom) I may have to fire up everything. It would give us something fun to do this winter. I should at least charge those handhelds. It is funny what you get into and then move on to something else. We go south of Baton Rouge in a week for work. I hope there are no hurricanes. I'll have to keep an eye on the weather.

Venuscat- best of luck on all of your planning! We just went to the courthouse. I never regretted it. It only took 2 minutes. lol.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

SereneEdition- I am glad you are passed the morning sickness and are able to eat a more balanced diet. I am sure it was hard those first three months finding something that you eat! thanks for the update!!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midwest1981 View Post
Venuscat- best of luck on all of your planning! We just went to the courthouse. I never regretted it. It only took 2 minutes. lol.
Oh.....sigh.

We were going to do that. It sounds absolutely perfect.

And thank you so much love.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Our wedding day was great. Started in the registry office/courthouse with our parents, siblings and one aunt and uncle each. Then we had a lunch in a nice restaurant, then back to our house. We both agree it was 'our day' and very enjoyable and relaxed.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:07 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Old 09-09-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Came home, fell asleep, now up working on a project for Monday.
Starting with a personal trainer this afternoon.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:56 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Andy, that sounds like the perfect wedding to me. Mine was a simple Quaker ceremony in my in-laws living room with just family. I never missed a big fancy wedding. It's no fun to be exhausted and broke when the wedding is over, imo.

Itchy, I was determined to be a ham radio operator but at the time had to wait until I was 18 and became a citizen in order to get a license. By that point I was off to college and had no time.

As far as crumbly bones ... it's human nature not to worry much about things 20 years down the road. Suffice it to say that I've seen the painful results of multiple spinal fractures and resulting significant squashing of one's frame. Not a reason to avoid prednisone when really needed but it is a good reason to do what we can to keep our bones stronger, especially exercise.

SE, delighted to hear your nausea is easing.

Thoughts and prayers for all those affected by hurricanes and other events!
Old 09-09-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm not married to Mrs Sw but we have been together now for just over 17 years Suze

I'm sure you will have a beautiful day & will be a beautiful bride x

Afternoon to the Overs
Old 09-09-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

awee just found out we lost Don Williams too.