Notices

One Year & Over Part 53

Old 09-04-2017, 04:00 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

FBL, that Shelley Berman clip took me way back, lol! He was so funny.

Itchy, just wait until those refills come once a week
Old 09-04-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Taking a much needed day off today. Need to re-charge my batteries for my big work project.

Have a Marvelous Monday, overs!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good afternoon Overs and welcome to Outonthetiles.

Just got back from the hospital with Mrs T.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Hello Overs and welcome to OOTT! Hope you are all having a Marvelous Monday!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:00 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs
5.55 am and still dark outside. I feel winter coming on.

Today's the day, now we have green cycles parked all over the county in readiness for the British cycle race today. It comes through our village around 11.30 am but I can't make due to work and many roads closing, albeit temporarily. I can watch it live on TV though.

Hope it's a good Tuesday for everyone, my friends.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:29 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Ash is falling from my house tonight from huge forest fires at Crystal Mountain, about fifty miles away from Seattle. It's kind of creepy. I've never seen this before...well, the last time I've seen anything like this was when Mt. St. Helens erupted and towns north of the mountain got hit by ashfall.
http://komonews.com/news/local/norse...ountain-resort
It reminds me of the scenes from War of the Worlds where all the ash was falling from people and buildings the tripods were vaporizing.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:03 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Sure does sound creepy OOTT.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I saw some footage of those fires OOTT, I hope you are safe.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:32 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you and your family are safe OOTT.

D
Old 09-05-2017, 02:51 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

It's hard to imagine, OOTT. stay safe!

Hi all
Old 09-05-2017, 03:29 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Getting back to my big project this morning. I even made a short video about what I'll be working on for the next few months. PM me if you want to watch it.

Have a Terrific and/or Tolerable Tuesday, overs!
Old 09-05-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Wow, OOTT! That does sound disconcerting!

I hope you are not affected, and that there is relatively little damage to the surrounding areas.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:16 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Steely Dan was one of my all-time faves. Fell in love with them when I first heard "Reeling In The Years" at the tender age of 7! Loved all the albums, especially Aja and Gaucho. Was glad when they got back together for Two Against Nature.

As for Shelley Berman, I discovered him from my uncle's record collection. Was pleasantly surprised when he showed up as Larry David's father on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Here's one of his classic "phone bits":

Goodnight, Gracie!
I wasn't very familiar with Shelley Berman. I listened to an interview with him and Marc Maron. He was very bitter that Bob Newhart basically ripped off his act and made a lot of money from it. He said folks thought he stole his act from Bob Newhart, which infuriated him. Very different type of comedian for the time.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I just saw Shelley Berman last night on an old "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode.

Louie Nye, too!
Old 09-05-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

My absolute favorite Louie Nye sketch:

Last edited by Gilmer; 09-05-2017 at 05:19 AM. Reason: M
Old 09-05-2017, 05:27 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

(Even though it's Howard Morris who totally steals the show!)

Old 09-05-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Light covering of ash on my car this morning.
Big traffic snarl on the way to work.
Starting new diet with wife and she pre packaged breakfast and lunch for me . Salmon salad. She's the best.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Gil!
I remember those fold up shopping carts. We lived in an elevator building when I was a teen and we had one to bring the laundry down and back from the basement laundry room. It never occurred to me to find out where Anandale was, and now I know.

OT,
I have some RV friends who used to go to Cabo by RV and loved it. Sounds like your friends may be in trouble or not. Can you call someone? Maybe rent a trick and haul down whatever they're needing.
"The Dan," I like that.

PJ,
Thanks. I am a techie, but that doesn't always mean high tech. I haven't mastered VR yet, nor am I any kind of gamer, not even solitaire. I am an ex tech but falling behind from other things taking more of my time.

Dee,
Yeah. I am really hit hard by this. Man! It's like Hendrix, Janis, John, and George all over. These are the folks I curled up with in a set of headsets, or blaringly obvious at high volume through audiophile discrete component systems. I was Jazz as much as Rock but not freestyle or Dixieland jazz at all. More like "The Dan." and the other fusion jazz great like Herbie Hancock, Maynard fergusen, and then the mellow jazz guys I mentioned before. The only thing I can enjoy, only if I have to is crap music. (The C is silent for thet genre.)

FBL,
Bodhisattva turned a phrase that was awesome once the concept it represented became clear on looking it up. Back in the 80s we couldn't Google it so that meant dictionary, and a trip to the library since I wasn't exposed to Buddhism yet. Big grin.

Berman was 92, and he'd done it all. I thought he was an East coast comic from my area because of how he yiddishified his humor.

Hi Suze!

Mags,
Did he get stung? If they're honeybees you can build or buy a hive to keep their honey. We have bee keepers here who love to get free bees and will come and try to catch the swarm. Do you have those there too?

SG,
Hey you got it recorded right? I remember having those little cassette recorders. We used them like a floppy disk to load programs on the Commodore. Thank goodness I waited until I was 30 in 1982 to get a Commodore 64 with the old 1560 or something external 5.25" floppy disk drive. Hard drives were $1000.00 for a 5 or 10 MB for any computer and I got an IBM clone in 84 when I was 32. It had a giant 10 MB hard drive! In the 70's it was Bose 901s and dbx Noise reduction cassette machines. I remember when Casio came out with the first digital calculator watch and they cost several hundred dollars and were advertised in Playboy. I got one several years later for about $50 that did much more than the first ones. Our Casio calculator was a red LED four function. The HP scientific LCD calculators were in the 1980s and they cost in the hundred dollar range. I got an early start doing the Devry Institute "Basic Electronic Circuit Applications To Fundamental Electronics" course in 1972 when I was 20. I was active duty and married but wanted a big TV and in that correspondence course I built the first electronic tuning TV the 25" HeathKit GR 2000 TV, a digital multi-meter and an Oscilloscope. Remember that was 1972 and there were no electronic tuning TVs in the stores yet, only us nerds had them because we built them. That was back when Radio shack was the hangout for Ham radio operators, electronic hobbyists like me, and the serious electronic techs were always the sales clerks. You could go in and he or she would be able to sketch out circuits on a scratch paper and take you around to gather up all the resistors, capacitors , transistors and PC board to build it. No wasted money on cases until it burned in and working. That is how I got early adopter electronics, stereos, Ham and CB radios, TVs and computers. I'd get the non working ones and keep them or sell them until I had enough for a new item. I gave up when microcircuits began to dominate but could fix a broken motherboard etc. But parts were expensive because they all came on module boards not component level. That is why it is cheaper to buy a new TV or gadget rather than get it fixed, it was cheaper and the amount of raw materials were nothing compared to tube and early solid state circuits. My 65" 4k UHD fancy pants top TV has only two circuit boards in it other than the giant integrated full array LED screen and power supply. They are 12"X7" and another about 10"X10". I used to pick up supposedly dead computers and salvage the drives and RAM sometimes the cases and power supplies but no longer. I can buy a refurb with a warranty, sometimes, with Dell and Microsoft refurbs a full year factory warranty.

Sassy,
I hear ya abpout once a week it seems!

FBL,
Did ya get recharged?

Andy I hope all is well.

Hey FG!
Sorry a day late but you have a good one too.

Mags,
How'd the race go?

OOTT,
So you are in our great Northwest! I read that news story, terrible! Stay safe bud!

Gil!
That Louis Nye was hilarious!

OOTT,
Dang that can be scary. Is it safe to be out breathing that unfiltered? Are the fires heading your way!

I have to go as my SH will be home in a few and we are taking Maggie to the park again. Dog park so she can run and play with other dogs. I took her once and today we both take her so my SH can see. Tomorrow is our 45th anniversary! This is easy as every anniversary is 20 years younger than I am. It took me 40 years to figure that out, but that seems like yesterday! <wink>
Old 09-05-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

All those years I was under the impression that Louie Nye was Uncle Goopy in that "Your Show of Shows" sketch. Upon closer inspection, I see that he was only the fireman. Howard Morris was the real Uncle Goopy.

Either way, it's still a scream!
Old 09-05-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Itchy, an early happy 45th anniversary to you and your SH