SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year & Over Part 53 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/415101-one-year-over-part-53-a.html)

Dee74 08-29-2017 03:15 AM

One Year & Over Part 53

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-52-a-20.html

D

PhoenixJ 08-29-2017 04:37 AM

:tyou

Midwest1981 08-29-2017 07:51 AM

thanks Dee! I hope everyone has a great day. I took a swimming class again this morning. I love it. It sure makes me hungry and tired though. lol.

tootsl1 08-29-2017 11:14 AM

All ok in Tootsville on a sunny Tuesday.

feeling-good 08-29-2017 11:17 AM

Thanks Dee :D

Saskia - I can totally relate!

I live not very far from the new Queensferry Crossing which is opening tomorrow morning for the first time for vehicles to use it! It's all very exciting, but I feel for my housemate who normally leaves for work at about 6.45am to go over the Forth to get to his workplace - there is expectation that tomorrow morning might just take a while longer.... :). I will just keep all crossed that it goes as smoothly as possible. It's a wonderful thing, witnessing a £1.3bn project taking place from conception (some 10 yrs ago) to start (6 yrs ago) to finish (today!).

My thoughts are with everyone in Texas - I have an online friend who lives in the suburbs of Houston and I am just hoping that she and hers are all safe :dunno:

Duffster 08-29-2017 02:22 PM

PJ I missed your anniversary!

Congratulations on 2 years!!!!!

PhoenixJ 08-29-2017 05:40 PM

Thanks Duff- just to qualify 2 years since THAT fatal rock bottom.
Sober 19 months.

Mags1 08-29-2017 10:20 PM

Morning overs

Back to work for me today after a lovely few days off.

Hope it's a good Wednesday for everyone.

Treerat66 08-29-2017 11:52 PM

Good morning Overs.

With the cloud cover this morning it was actually dark when the alarm went off. I will have to be vigilant as the SAD season proceeds.

Have a good day everyone.

Itchy 08-30-2017 12:24 AM

Thanks Dee!

PJ,
I caught your anniversary, glad you're here. Glad I'm here, glad we're all here, and dear to ourselves. No one else can be dear until we are.

Andy,
Is this over there? https://www.bing.com/search?q=CICD+c...l=886&efirst=6

Tomorrow we get hit by Harvey, hope just rain and wind.

nite

Soberwolf 08-30-2017 12:32 AM

Morning

Saskia 08-30-2017 02:54 AM

Thanks, Dee!

Have a good day, Overs :grouphug:

Duffster 08-30-2017 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ (Post 6590226)
Thanks Duff- just to qualify 2 years since THAT fatal rock bottom.
Sober 19 months.

Wow, PJ. Thanks for clarifying. I hate that that happened to you BUT like everyone else I am so glad you are here. Look at how strong you are, how far you've come. I've gone through a tough year and have often looked to how you are overcoming so much as inspiration. So I will now congratulate you not on that awful day 2 years ago, but on how far you've come, on the person you are today.

FBL 08-30-2017 03:11 AM

I'm finishing up the Pop Annual right on schedule. Will hopefully put it to bed later today.

Happy Hump-Day, overs!

Gilmer 08-30-2017 04:32 AM

You too, FBL! Huge congratulations on a job well done! :c014:

tootsl1 08-30-2017 05:31 AM

Duff you have completely confused me popping up here! Thought I was on our class thread!!!

Well done FBL, I know how much work you put in, however enjoyable it is!

I've almost reached the point of formatting for publishing, but am being held up by my annoying notebook, it keeps 'stopped responding' on me! I've put it away because I was getting frustrated, and am not tech savvie enough to figure what the issue is ( though it did do an update and restart the other day). As dad is due home ( hopefully!) tomorrow and I leave Friday, I am putting it away until I get back home. I appear to have garnered quite a lot of extraneous crap to take back with me but I am leaving the dog behind & meeting hubby en route ( he will get the same train at a station further up) so should manage.

Gilmer 08-30-2017 05:46 AM

I'm sorry you're having technical troubles, Toots!

Have a good, relaxing time in Spain.

Treerat66 08-30-2017 09:15 AM

Thanks for the heads up Itchy, we will do some research and ask the consultant on Friday.

FBL way to go!

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Itchy 08-30-2017 01:43 PM

YW Andy,
There was mention of Scotland in one of the links on that results page.

Toots,
I know you are happy when your dad is back out of hospital tomorrow. Have a good trip home Friday! On the notebook issues if you PM me the make and full model number, what version of Windows you are using (XP, Vista, Windows 7/8/8.1/10) And which program is running when it stops responding it is likely an easy fix. If it is Apple disregard as I do not do Apple.

FBL!
Congrats, I know you will be proud of the book for a good long while.

Wolf!
Howaya?

We are getting hit tonight by the hurricane. It is supposed to be heavy rain, flash floods, and wind gusts to 40 mph. I sure am glad we have our whole house generator that is now strong enough to run the A/C too. It is a 25kw water cooled system with auto switch that runs on natural gas. We have city service for gas and the gas lines have never gone down in any storm. Until 2015 we had a 15kw system that could not run our central A/C. So when we did the new house we upgraded to the larger unit with a Mitsubishi 4 cylinder car engine running it.
All the drainage work we did last year with the track hoe and Dozer to install a new culvert where the water used to pond for a week paid off even better than we hoped and now I can mow a few days after a heavy rain. Before it stood in the front yard and slowly receded because the backed up water kept the ground wet. Now it all runs through the culvert and the slight grade we dozed to a drainage swale. If we get serious rain like they did down south in Houston we will see how it does under a lot of water all at once.
I remember doing the same kinds of rescue when we went down the day after Katrina hit. I am healed up from my back surgeries last year but I can't lift enough to go help this time. Here is a pic from our Katrina rescues:
http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/...psbqbiukve.jpg

Texas asked for private citizens to come in with their boats to help with rescues. Gov. Blanco of Louisiana and out National guard barred all from going in but a few with police credentials like I have. We also had our own guns and food for three days. We are still upset about how we were two of only six boats that did rescues from Canal street to Tulane Avenue. The Louisiana powers that be thought people wetre shooting at rescuers when in fact the folks had been told by a boat that came through that they would be back. Whoever that was never came back. We came in the next day and told them we were told folks were shooting and they said yes, we were, to get the attention of rescuers we shot in the air. Louisiana failed badly. There were bodies everywhere. Something folks don't realize is that those floods are above all the sewer tanks over the whole city including their wastewater treatment plants. As well all the submerged vehicles are leaking gasoline, diesel, and all the refineries there have all kinds of chemicals leaking into the water. All of the snakes, gators, and other wildlife is looking for high ground as well as both stray pets and the many pets that were in the yard. Dogs were terrified of the boat and one had to be left behind when he snapped at his owner who was trying to pull him in the boat. You will also hear about folks who refuse to leave a flooded home. Many have guns and art, collectors art and rare items, jewelry, and medicines, medical equipment, that they know may be looted after they leave. Some went to the closest liquor store and food stores and looted them for supplies to stay in their homes. The drug addicts become an issue as well trying to raid pharmacies. But like then, all of that comes after the people get rescued. I got a series of shots from my doc when we got back from being in the sewer and chemical soup flood waters actually are.
Another thing is fuel for the rescuers boats and vehicles. The power is out for much of the area and the power outage extends beyond the flooded areas. No power means no power to operate gas pumps. And underground tanks of fuel are vented thus the fuels =can escape when submerged. I brought my Diesel truck with one boat and the other truck was also a diesel. The people who left in time and all the rescuers during Katrina made it impossible to fuel because the stations and truck stops along all the major routes were out with not resupply coming until after we were done. Our other truck ran out of Diesel almost all the way back home. I had brought a siphon because I knew we might need it. All the stations between New Orleans and Shreveport, 4.5 hours north of New Orleans, were out of gas and diesel. With no electricity in flood areas there are no showers or running water. A hospital allowed us to get one shower for the three days we were here. The weather that far south this time of year was 98 degrees then and now is much cooler due to changes in the gulf stream. Houston has low to mid 70s today, which makes it better for the rescuers and those still stranded.

In this kind of flood all you have is what is canned or bottled. No gas or electric to save frozen foods or cook with for the duration. Cell towers are flooded too, and except for the solar operated ones they are out, and phones can't be charged until you get out. It's now pouring rain, and I just checked the radar. I am now in the edge of the storm, and soon will see if winds are rougher. Here we are, ten miles east of Shreveport, click on the link to see our radar live, we are about under the "r" in Shreveport on that radar map:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=shreve...BRE&sp=2&ghc=1

My wife was working today and she is finally headed home. The rain is very heavy. I'll keep y'all posted.

Y'all have a great day, we are hunkered down, and safe.

PhoenixJ 08-30-2017 02:01 PM

A raw story itch. When the veneer of 'civilisation' goes- how do people react? In Japan- certain places do earthquake and tsunami drills frequently to whole communities. I think a lot of us Westerners can learn from that. Civilisation- electricity for one. Without it- back with the cave people. I heard somewhere that Huston's pop. has increased by 2 mill. since their last very big flood. Part of the urban sprawl being built on flat lands which in the past would have absorbed some of that water. I have not experiences a natural event of those proportions, but it does cause me to sit up and listen. Thanks for the post.