Notices

Class of December 2016 Part 2

Old 12-30-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Koala- technically, should that not be a big Moose hug? Koalas don't hug much. They are heavy, pee on you and are more concerned with eating and sleeping.
Ha ha PJ!
I see you're from Australia so you must know about them!
Lets say I'm a *cough cough* "Canadian koala", well mannered as all the Canadians are and very awake from drinking way too much coffee.
(I'll need to join a group for coffee too one day lol)
Have a good day...
Ps: I see you everywhere in here and it secures me.
Just saying...
Old 12-30-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Koala story time! Used to get them wandering past the family home 9sniff- not welcome now- booze, yarda). The first thing I o when I move to a new space is plant a gum tree. Koalas used to climb up in it- walking down the road from one space of natural bushland 9we lived in the hills around Adelaide0 and rest up for a while until they wandered off to the next bit of bushland. Lazy buggers. Much prefer Tassie Devils- like me. Isolate, smart, bad tempered, do not like to share, territorial and make a hell of a din when they are pissed off. They also do not seem to give a shUt about what others think of them. The Japanese love them. If you want a really weird in your face 'stralyan thing- try Emu's. Used to wake up to the sound of kooka's. Not bullsh'g. Loud buggers. All of them great.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:49 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Hi! Just logging in to say I made it! I didn't drink! I ate Haribos and drank lots of herbal tea. So pleased especially as I had cravings earlier and wondered how I was going to get through Dry January. Looking forward to a good sleep tonight.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Congrats on everyone hanging in there!

Checking in on day 7! This is officially the longest I've gone without a drink since I was a teenager (I'm mid 40s now). Breaking old habits isn't easy. The last couple days have had their moments. Sometimes things don't go perfect, and that's when the brain starts to try and justify reasons. I'm realizing that in a lot of ways, my brain never completely grew up. I just always took the easy route. Fight with wife? Drink. Father died? Drink. Job crisis? Drink. Bored? Drink. Tired? Drink. Hung over? Drink. Feeling like you failed everyone? Drink.

That said, I haven't even come close to drinking in the last week. Sleep has become my friend again. I feel a level of optimism that I have not known in decades. Every time my teen daughter hugs me, she says, "Dad, you smell so good. What are you doing different?"

I've been thinking about New Years. I thought about skipping the family get together. There will be alcohol. But drinking has kept me away from my family so much, I don't want sobriety to do the same. My plan is offer to be the designated driver, bring some yummy drinks of my own, and actually remember the fun I have with my kids.

Be strong this weekend everyone!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Just checking in and wanted to say that I'm so proud of each of us on this journey together! Thank you to those more experienced for sharing your ESH with us! Today is NYE Eve...let's have a sober day and bedtime, but more importantly let's make sure our plans are firmly set in place so that we don't mess up all of our hard work over this holiday weekend! We CAN do this!!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Bravo Mangoman for these 7 days!
Big record after 20+ years wow!

Keep going on pushing that new record just 24 hours more.
You can make it happen!
Old 12-30-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Great post mangoman!

You have summed it up. There's always a reason to drink. But plenty of reasons not to. Congrats on 7 days!
Old 12-30-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Good Morning
Day 3, this one has been a bugger for me lately.
My 8 yo's ears are hurting so we won't be going to my Mom's today. It works out ok because I really need to run some errands.
My plan to stay sober today are to eat a good meal with protien before shopping. Making sure I snack and drink while out. Post here if I feel like buying alcohol. Get home, hopefully knit a little at some point, make dinner, catch the Friday SR meeting and then take a big hot bath before bed.

I'm enjoying reading all of your posts. Stay strong today!
Old 12-30-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Day 16, and I haven't really had a craving/urge in a couple of days. Still taking it day by day, but I feel optimistic. My husband and I are going on a house hunting trip to the town we are moving to next week. I'm a bit nervous about that, but I can't obsess in advance. Good for today!
Old 12-30-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

See, I was thinking today about how when drinking one spends a great deal.of time thinking about what to drink, whether to or not, where to go to get it, who with etc...

So i thought why not spend the time thinking about how not to drink, what kind of coffee to have and where from, what to do with the freed up time etc.

Not obsessing ; just idly thinking but switching the focus to ingrain a new default thought process in there .... worked today!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

That voice piped up again tonight. And I told it to STFU. :-)

I tried not to mentally "play" with the idea of drinking because that gets me in trouble.

So today is 18 days sober. Tomorrow morning I'm volunteering for the first time with the soup kitchen downtown. God knows I need to get out more and meet some people. Looking forward to getting out of the house and out of my head!

Keep up the good work RayJay! For me the key is not letting my guard down. I know, easier said than done.

ChickChick is the woMAN with a plan. Good for you.

HopeSprings, thanks for the words of encouragement and esprit de corps! We all have to lean on each other, I think!

Mangoman, what a milestone! You should be very proud and I hope you are! Here's to seven more days, and seven more after that, and so on and so forth. :-)

PhoenixJ, I think Tasmanian devils are adorable. Perhaps you're familiar with its American cousin:

Tasmanian Devil/Gallery | Looney Tunes Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

Everyone else, stay strong and stick close. We're in this together.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Hello all, kinda struggling today just starting to feel better and it's like half my mind says 1 day wouldn't hurt and the other says remember what day 1 felt like. Been so used to getting trashed for new years. I know I'm not going to drink but it is a battle.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Hey Fedup, we're here for you. Glad you're starting to feel better. Stick with it.

Do you have any kind of a plan or ideas for things you can do to stay on the straight and narrow? We can help with that too.

You're stronger than you think!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

I bought some soda I know it's not healthy but it helps the itch to crack open a can. I been cleaning the house...keeping busy. The house looks great lol!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Soda is way better than booze! Good for you. You're doing it.

You wanna come clean my house now? Actually it's only an apartment, so not too labor intensive.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Lol sounds easier than than my house. Appreciate the laugh. Laughter is good medicine.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Hey all, been really busy, no time to catch up. Looks like we have some activity going here, can't wait to catch up on the new folks and the old.

Pulled my truck into the HEATED garage to track down a few issues that it has been having. Making some progress and buying a few parts. I like working on stuff and do ALL of my home and vehicle repairs myself when I can (which is most everything).

I have always been a garage rat so I am happy tinkering around but it is also where I consumed a LOT of beer in the past. Good thing it really hasn't been an issue so far.

Check in tomorrow folks!!!! Hang Tough, it's GOOD STUFF!!!!!! Closing out Day 27 tonight and feeling pretty damn GREAT!
Old 12-30-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

MeSo - I'm afraid you and I must part company (cue Miss Piggy hair flounce!).

On Tassie devils; I find them hideous - ever encountered one in the flesh? I did many years ago in Tassie, whilst living with the kids and their father in a shack - part of a sort of commune deep in the wilds. Very scary, vicious and nasty li'l critters. Of course, they're a major part of Australia's ancient fauna heritage - and endangered. I respect totally their need to be preserved, as we've lost so very many species worldwide.

For all of that, I still don't like the little blighters.

Of course, 'joke, Joyce' on parting company - you know I don't mean it, other than finding devils adorable
Old 12-30-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Hello all ..just got back from a short trip with my sisters n nephews. Went well...wow lots of posts!!! We rock!
Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
My plan to stay sober today are to eat a good meal with protien before shopping. Making sure I snack and drink while out.
That's a great plan. Someone tipped me off on day one that hunger and exhaustion were things to avoid while dealing with cravings. I've been careful all week to not leave the house on an empty stomach. It has definitely helped.

It seems that thinking ahead about situations and having a plan is the way to go.

Keep it up!