Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 22

Old 02-24-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Penny, glad you're okay. that's an incredible story about the drunk driver. Amazing stuff people do.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

I've heard so much about Adelaide. I know Ben Folds moved there and lived there a couple years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xYxzm81HdM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVc9LLi9wOc
Old 02-24-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Hey PHRD, good to hear a bunch from you!

Hanging out in the burbs tonight was lovely. I really LIKE this here 14 yr old and spending time with her - and I absolutely LOVE how happy it makes him that we get along well. My new family is coming along piece by piece with our "next right choice" etc approach. Proud of us.

Need to sleep tonight- long five days of work ahead!

Good night friends-
A
Old 02-24-2017, 10:53 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Morning all! Feeling pretty tired but I'm off to a university open day today. Really not feeling it but I already bought the train tickets.

August - Good to hear you had a better day. I'm okay, not 100%, could use another day in bed that's for sure!

PHRD - Thank you for getting back to me.
The one year mark is definitely not time to relax. Sobriety becomes a habit but, like you said, still need to beware of HALT.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Morning all- hope everyone had a restful night.

Just saying hello on this overcast morning before all day at work!

Happy Sat-
A
Old 02-25-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

My son was enrolled in the University of Adelaide. We were moving in one month and the job fell through. Oh well. Worked out perfectly for me. I would have never started my own business.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

I have a cancer charity auction tonight... getting all dressed up... actually Im dressing more casually than I do for work, no tie., but I'm polishing my shoes, etc.
last year it was at a mercedes dealership after hours..very swanky,... i got sit in a showroom maybach...120 grand....no thanks.
last year it was held before christmas, so i wasn't sober at that point. they really push the beer and wine at this thing, but I'll be okay. last year I was tapering down and I was driving, so I took it easy, ...maybe three beers...this year of course, I'm done so I'll be clear headed for the first time.
actually, thinking about it, I was halfway drunk at this thing because I vaguely remember yelling across the room for the DJ to play Beast of Burden and some obscure Grateful Dead song...I forget which. I was trying to be funny.
this is a diff cancer auction from about five years ago where I was hammered on Mikes Hard Lemonade and bid too high on a trip to Puerto Vallarta that ended up being a disaster.
Alcohol and auctions are a bad combination....for me any way.
Alcohol was a bad idea in general for me!
Anyway, sooooo glad those days are over.

Anyone else wants me to text pics of the Big Gala Event, let me know !!
I can tell that I've completely changed. I'm actually excited and looking forward to this,..not dreading it.
This is what it must be like to be a sober, functional adult.

Last edited by Dee74; 02-25-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

I'm back.... drinking wasn't even an issue. I had coffee and water. A lot of people had a couple beers, but it was a pretty sedate crowd. I bid on three things....two musical shows and disneyland hopper tickets, but the prices went pretty high and I didn't get any of the auction lots.
The sound system was terrible. They had a bad DJ they've used for Cancer Relay events who frankly isn't very good. The DJ they used last year was better.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:18 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

OOTT- I had to smile at your description of the event....sounds so "normal." I am sure your shoes looked much better than anyone else's

Woke up for a few minutes and thought I would check in.

We had been discussing what to give up for Lent....it's decided: ice cream (me) and using credit cards (him). I am seriously uncertain which will be harder.

Good night all-
A
Old 02-25-2017, 11:44 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Morning all! Didn't go to that uni open day yesterday, felt really unwell and it sounded like a lot of effort. Got lots of work done because of that though, so every cloud...

Good luck August. What's the weather like where you are? Far too cold for ice cream over here.

I have yet to experience a good sound system at such events OOTT.

Never mind PHRD, time for a new plan?
Old 02-26-2017, 06:49 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

OT- since I quit drinking, it is always ice cream weather. I think in my head I gave myself the first year for this so now it is time to get it out of my system (ha). As far as the weather...OMG it was freezing on the patio last night. Most people who came up in the 4-6 window before dark either looked miserable and pretending to be comfortable- or went back inside. Which was insane so getting out of there before 8 pm was awesome.

HUGE God wink....I got a call 10 days ago from State Farm. About an undeliverable check from an accident I have no recollection of (ahem) but apparently wasn't at fault, and was due a good amount of money (for me- like 2/3 my rent)....I just let it go and put it in God's hands if I would actually get the check...it came yesterday. Well now. That whole part in the BB about fear of economic insecurity leaving us (I know I have mentioned this issue here) ..... note to self.

Pretty and right now not so chilly here. Work tonight- wonder what it will be like since it is the Oscars (which I had forgotten til Cliff reminded me- HA). ...

Take care of yourselves all-
A
Old 02-26-2017, 03:03 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Congrats on the financial set-forward, August. You and Cliff deserve it. You guys are so awesome and you're both going through an amazing life transformation that you'll be able to draw on for the rest of your lives for strength.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Checking in. How are you today OT?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Not much we can do about the past OOTT. I try to make amends to those I hurt by staying sober. I'm happy to tell them I'm sober and that I am so much better without alcohol. As hard as I tried I simply was not good at being a drunk. I think they get it.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Jobei! Freedom! Great to see you. I wish Mel would check in.

2 days until Lees anniversary!
Old 02-27-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Hey Badge! Good to see several notes from you.

OOTT- thank you so much for the kind words!! I'd say we "work" really hard at our lives yet it doesn't feel like "work" in the hard way- it is just dedicated effort.

On that note....short story....there is a girl at work I really like but watch and listen to with pain because she makes TERRIBLE choices about men. (Side note- she is divorced and has a 14 yr old and from what I can tell her ex was abusive). I was happy that she broke up with this last one (everyone was, and I probably knew the least about him of anyone, just went on things she said). So, the other night I waited on a table that was clearly a first date- we all enjoyed "narrating" how it was going- totally betting on Tinder or such and listening to some of his canned statements was so funny ("I just want someone who challenges me!" Gag). At the end of the date, I told the girls that I certainly wouldn't go out with him and my first couple of reasons were "he ordered first, and ordered a second drink without asking her if she wanted one (that wasn't even the alcoholic in me reacting, just that I thought it was rude) and then he tipped 10%!" My friend starts laughing at me in a not-really-joking way "yeah, that's totally good reason not to date a guy- Jeez...etc" and another friend - in a kindly joking manner- says "Princess August! We all know what you expect and how things work in your world [or something like that]" ..... and I thought "yeah. that IS how things work in my world. Because I have learned enough to know that little signs matter and more importantly....a girl (in this case) teaches a boy how to treat her by what she expects, allows and doesn't." Or something along those lines. All of this is to say that I pray I always recognize how amazing it is to have someone who treats me like a precious thing in his life....when I told Cliff this story, and the part about how you set standards you accept in life, he just looked at me like "duh, of course you do." I think this extends completely to how i always say I am hardcore about who I allow in my life - seeking the "best" might sometimes mean being single (my friend should do this!) or having a smaller circle...but it is so worth it for the good, peaceful, HAPPY life you CAN have.

Enough soapbox.

Monday! Lee! So close. Fun to be in the "370s" now

Sort of expecting to be called out tonight- 6p closing patio shift...supposed to be cold and kinda rainy and sunset is just aroudn 630....wouldn't mind!!

Hugs to all -
A

[An edit and PS.....the one kind of "proud" I typically allow myself about my sobriety is that the reason I am so happy and positive the (vast) majority of the time is that I know pain, suffering, near death and all kinds of truly horrible things....sometimes people don't like seeing what they perceive as someone "showing off".....but that's not what things like my pics on insta/FB or my quotes or my whatever is about...it is about gratitude. I am proud of myself for all that.]
Old 02-27-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Evening all! Didn't get as much work done as I wanted to today, but that's okay. I still have tomorrow. No need to pull an all-nighter just yet. Also, finally confirmed my university choices. No going back now so I can stop stressing about what I'm going to choose. It's DONE!

Good to hear from you Badger, all good here, work work work.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

That is GREAT, OT!! Well done.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Thanks August!
Old 02-28-2017, 02:02 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Congrats OT! Congrats Aug on your windfall! Makes me think about how much money I've saved this last year! OMG Lee where are you? I'm one year tomorrow so you must be one year today!!! Unbelievable! OOTT great insight on the whole party thing. Funny when you are sober and realize everyone else thinks the parties great because they are drunk but really it just sucks - dj sucks etc. Guess being a dj can be easy for that reason. Hello Badger! OT Adelaide move was many years ago. Did you ever get your iron checked? You sound a bit over tired still. Maybe with stress of decisions gone you can rest/recover better from it all.