Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 22

Old 02-28-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Morning all-

Random disclosure- my doc has me on ativan/lorazepam, as need 3x/daily. I have tried diligently to keep within that rx dosage and most days been fine....past three I have only had two. It seems the good stress sometimes amps up my anxiety so I am working on using other techniques against it....For the time being, it seems I get headaches if I go down to one, so I am shooting for 2 a day (3 if necessary but NOT four as I have a few times)....I am comfortable taking a benzo if prescribed, just want to be vigilant and remember to flex my tool muscles not always go for a pill.

Long day at work - got new schedule- for some reason I am off Fri night and all of Sat and Sun! May pickup but right now am savoring that possibility

Have a great day all-
A
Old 02-28-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

So I learned an acquaintance committed suicide the other day. Left work in the middle of the day and shot himself. No note. Not sick. Did not appear depressed. Wife and three adult children. WTF? It rattled me. I guess it reminds me of the dark places.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Oh that's terrible Badger...I've been touched by suicide (my best friend's boyfriend)...it is rattling...
Old 02-28-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Hi Freedom. It's just odd and dark to me. I'm better today but I struggled with it yesterday.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Oh Badger, I am so sorry. I have experience with this too and it is terrible. Sending you love.

Long day.....late dinner of ice cream!

Not much to report- take care of yourselves everyone.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Lee is an on a short, career-related trip and probably away from a laptop. We're in constant text communication and he's doing great, so no worries. I'm sure he'll give a full report when he gets back.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Freedom, I just wanted to say how great it is that you're here.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

It's officially my one year anniversary! Seems like this past month dragged. Time to move on to the next marker. Suicide is rattling. Perfect description. Aug I'm glad you are taking meds for anxiety. You have come a long way since posting here with not letting things bother you as much and staying positive. I'm so happy for you. How does it make you feel? My daughter really should be on something for anxiety. Do you feel any side effects or more clear?
Old 03-01-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

PHRD- CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Awesome sauce.

And re med- it mainly makes me feel calm and refocused, I suppose. For me, I used to (now that I think about it) get a really "amped up" feeling starting in my chest- that was a sign, as well as not breathing fully- I don't think I get those so much these days. Now, it seems anxiety is tied to impatience/aggravation or boredom - I guess it is evolving and I have to keep an eye close to the signs my body gives .... thanks for the props, too!

For some reason, I was given the whole wkd off- Fri night through Sun. Actually, til Mon night. We get one wkd off a month and I guess I got mine by default.....not sure what to think - probably that I should pick up a shift!

Glad to hear Lee's good.

Have a good day all-
A
Old 03-01-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Congratulations Lee and PHRD. Yay!

Lee is off doing school interviews. Wish him luck.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

August. I am glad to hear the meds are working. Anxiety sucks. A lot of us here suffer from it.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

CONGRATS LEE, and welcome back after your Big Adventure up north!
One year, friend. I am soooooo happy for you! It's like we're not even the same people we were a year ago.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

PHRD, it's not Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day, but this is almost as good. Happy Birthday to you. .
Old 03-01-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!
Joining the year club today!!!!!

What a great year. Seems like forever but in a totally great way. I'm not even the same person I was a year ago today. So many changes and so many things happen in a sober year. All have been positive, though it was an odd experience for quite a while.

I feel more grounded and happy and less anxious. I have regained a lot of self confidence that I thought was long gone. In a word: Awesome!!!

Had my final interview on Monday for my number #1 choice of school. It was a 9.5 hour drive and it was intense. There are only 16 candidates and they pick 8. It was an honor just to get selected for an interview.

Next step is to find out if I am admitted, and then finally, if admitted, what sort of package I can be offered to determine if I can afford to attend. It is extremely expensive but they go to great lengths to assist where possible.

Regardless of the outcome, I was acutely aware of how far I had come. On February 29th last year I got drunk for the last time. I looked 10-15 years older than now and was an utter mess. When I was at the interview I went in the restroom and I looked like a totally different person.

Thanks for all the love and support. Lifetime sobriety is the only way to go. Will keep everyone posted on my school outcomes. Even if they don't go my way it took tremendous courage!
Be good to yourselves,
Lee
Old 03-01-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Badger07 View Post
August. I am glad to hear the meds are working. Anxiety sucks. A lot of us here suffer from it.
I had never really connected the serious anxiety a lot of people suffer (I am not sure where mine falls on any spectrum but I think it is milder than many, fortunately) to alcohol abuse. Reading on here and hearing from people like Eliz Vargas share about truly serious and sometimes debilitating anxiety has really helped me understand others struggles.

Cooking at home tonight- tilapia~! I haven't made it in awhile and never for my beloved....
Day 1 no ice cream

Take care all-
A
Old 03-01-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Congrats Lee!!!! We did it! Yeah! So excited! Yeah, I was so unhappy a year ago. Felt stuck and sick and tired of being sick and tired. This morning I slipped on my new jeans without unzipping them because thats how slim I've gotten. This time last year I had trouble buttoning the jeans I had which were a size larger. Best wishes Lee on the school. I had no idea how intensive and selective the program was you are doing. I didnt quit for good on Pearl Harbor Rememberance Day in 2010 but it started my quest to get done with using alcohol to try to feel better about myself and cope with my unhappiness. The solution was there all along - to not drink. I had no idea how happy I could be.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Well put PHRD. It's funny that the answer was there all the time, but didn't see it. JUST DON'T DRINK and everything falls into place.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Lee- thanks for sharing such a great update. Happy happy birthday! And making it to the "round of 16" is a big deal. You are a rock star.

Just love having y'all in my dugout.

Take care of yourselves-
A
Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to both you guys Lee and PHRD
Old 03-02-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Badger- how are you today? Hugs

Happy I didn't eat ice cream yesterday. I keep mentioning this as a note to self....it was BAD!

Noon meeting then work.

Take care all-
A