Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 22

Old 03-05-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Good day girls. And boys. Thanks for the hugs all and back at you.

How is the studying going OT?

Its good you guys work through stuff regularly August. I purposefully work on trying to talk now and head off a great Badger style implosion.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Going good thanks Badger. Caught up with a few friends this weekend so I can say goodbye to my social life for the next week. Going to be living and breathing statistics and biology.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Ha, that probably sounded terrible about the dogs! Sorry! I am the queen of dog loving. The deal is that his ex wife dumped them on him- their original deal was that he would go to the rental condo they found and she would stay in the house, and she insisted on the opposite. The dogs are three mutts (2 of whom are good dogs, one is totally old and grumpy) they acquired somewhat randomly over the years. No one was really enamored of them. With his older child at school and now living with his ex wife, and his daughter not being a big fan of the dogs, they have just become a huge hassle and expense he didn't count on. He has talked with the vet and is exploring three places that are safe havens/no kill, adoption for older dogs, etc. His daughter is all good with this; she also knows my dog now. Luke will be the one dog we have together and everyone is happy. Interestingly, when he filled his ex wife in on the "dog plan" yesterday, she suddenly wants to talk about keeping them and threw in a bunch of junk about him sending the dogs to die and how devastated their daughter is (guess who'd been drinking when they had this conversation?).....

Anyway, he will make sure they are well situated- AND I have been kept out of any part of this decision (my opinions) as far as his kids know. Coolio.

Picked up a lunch shift today- not looking like super patio weather tonight so I figured a good idea after two days off!

Still no ice cream!

Hope all have a great Mon-
A
Old 03-06-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

August, I am intimately aware that some of these "no kill" facilities are not, unfortunately. The HSUS is a master at hiding their euthanasia rates behind being aggressive, unadoptable or suffering. What they consider unadoptable or suffering is ridiculous. For example, a cat is relinquished to HS for "not using litterbox" is considered unadoptable, and the HS calls my rescue threatening to euthanize unless a rescue will take. Keep in mind many times a cat will not use their box because of medical issue, or changes in the home, or people lie about it. They dont want to take care of the cat and make something up. I hear this allll the time at my rescue. Every one we have taken from HS has used the litter box just fine. Another cat needed some teeth extracted. Oh really that's suffering and they cant do that? They have vets. They just want little independent rescues to foot the bill. With dogs, they fail a temperament test, down they go. Maybe they dont want people or other dogs around when they eat. I despise the HSUS and PETA more; yes they have done some good in certain areas. They have the marketing behind them but most people do not know whats going on.. HSUS adopt out animals with NO criteria, and pretty much lie about that. I advise asking a deep in the trenches rescue person about what program/place you are considering. Lots of smoke and mirrors depending on the place.

Caveat... I have only dealt with the 3 HSUS shelters here, and they are considered some of the best. I can't speak for every HS in the country of course and don't know if you are even thinking about the HS. They just make me rant.....
Old 03-06-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

I'm really conflicted here.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
About the dogs?

I understand the no kill issues (I have worked with the Atlanta Humane Society in different capacities and as an adoptive parent multiple times). So I don't know what the ultimate solution will be but it will be humane and loving. We are not going to keep three large dogs that require everything they need now in our next place/phase of life. So how we accomplish that is the issue!

Break from work.

Hope you are all having good days.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!
Just checking in. 8 more days to wait until my college YES or NO! So glad it is finally here...it will be what it will be, but if everything goes as I hope I will be accepting if they accept me.

School is going well, but a little crazy because of Spring Break starting next Friday. The countdown to the school year is ON. Only 54 more days! So no matter what I will have SUMMER break soon!

Very strong on the sobriety front. All is great.
Hope all of you are well.
Be good to yourselves!
Lee
Old 03-07-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Just saying hi! Super tired. Night!
Old 03-07-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
The dogs? Senior dogs with needs losing their home and people because of a new relationship? Their guardian who they love unconditionally all of a sudden dumps them because of their needs. Needs like food, water, medicine and love? Totally have lost me there August.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:02 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Whoa, Penny! A few things....

The dogs aren't senior with needs; didn't mean to give that impression. They have always been well cared for (since they came into the family). It is not correct to put this change on "a new relationship." I get that you are passionate about dogs and all of it, but I am not the impetus for this change. He didn't want to keep the dogs- remember I said original plan was for his ex wife to stay in the house and keep them?- and I'd think that your sense of Cliff and me is that we are thoughtful people who make generally good decisions.

As the plan evolves for the right solution, it turns out that the people from whom they got two of the dogs (an org called PAWS) has a lot of terms in their contract when dogs are adopted officially, and will always accept dogs back if there is no other solution or decision. Most of us moving to a place that coincidentally will not take dogs is not my stronger preference. The ex wife is checking with her landlord to see if there can be an exception to the lease so she can have one of the three.

Now, I will back off my mild offended-ness and defensiveness...enough on the dog matter, m'k?

Another early morning meeting. Had a few other things to report but spent my time on the above matter

Take care all-
A
Old 03-09-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Hey! What's up folk? Been in El Paso this week. Wind is blowing and lots of dust and pollen in the air. I'm irritable.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Badge, that weather would make anyone irritable!

Me, I'm good and a little less tired than I was this morning. yesterday at work was rough, three 730 mtgs in a row before long days - this morning was too important not to do again though because Cliff had 9 mo! My dad even came to the meeting because he was in town and that was awesome.

Lee- time is closing in on everything!! Exciting.

Take care all-
gotta rest and get through one patio lunch before our next 5K on Sat!

A
Old 03-09-2017, 11:50 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Morning all! Pretty hung up on this girl at college. Been a fair few years since I was interested in anyone, was beginning to feel I wasn't capable anymore. Guess drinking was numbing that out.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

OT- fun! Enjoy having a ticker again.

Happy Fri all-
A
Old 03-10-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Super tired. Just checking in.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

PHRD- hope you got some rest last night and feel better today.

Badger- less irritable, I hope?

Another good 5K down this morning! This one was for a 9 year old battling cancer; she goes to the church/school Cliff belongs to and where his daughter goes. She is doing well right now and was actually at the race to announce the start.

40th bday party tonight for a high school friend. I think I will feel more comfortable than I did at the Christmas open house we went to - nothing about drinking, I was just a little reserved and had a low tolerance for stimulus....my friend knows I am sober and of course Cliff will be there so it's cool.

Happy weekend all-
A
Old 03-11-2017, 11:24 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Sick of revision so going to take my camera out this morning... then back to revision. Just need a little break.

Good to hear you're feeling more confident about attending social events August.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

OT- you take pics? Cool hobby. Ours are totally amateur. Hope it's a good break like you need. And, re social events....much like learning how to deal with food, I don't think I realized - quite consciously- how I had insulated myself. One on ones with friends, some small gathering stuff (mostly with at least some family) but really have taken my "seat at the table" thing seriously like I always talk about.

Last night was fun. It's interesting- this friend and I weren't really so in high school, as she was a year behind me and kind of "knew" me more than I did her....we reconnected over FB and as we were leaving Cliff remarked that she had a serious look about telling you she looked forward to really being friends in real life and having a lot of experiences in common....that makes me feel great- I am pleased and proud of how I am handling friendship here in my sober 40s.

Dear God: please take away my irritation at the ex- wife. No details needed, just issues surrounding her and her behaviors toward their family.

Rainy rainy here- perfect for grocery, Target and probably DSW for new running and work shoes!

Take care all-
A
Old 03-12-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Only casually August, still getting used to my lovely new camera that I rarely have time to use. Sometimes it's nice to have a break from scientific formulae, as much as I love it.

I am now officially sick of reading about the nervous system. I'm taking that as a sign that I'm ready for tomorrow's exam.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Good luck OT!

Early morning here. Got a permanent time off on Wed am approved- I decided I need one guaranteed day a week to go to my noon home group meeting. Can't get a permanent Sat night approved til we get more staff- my goal is to have one wkd night for the collective us or a date night (and Sat nights really, truly, completely SUCK for some reason- all the bad customers come...), but hopefully groundwork is down for that.

Happy Mon to all-
A