Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 22

Old 02-15-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

I wish I was in the ATL, we'd totally drop by and leave a big tip. I've been to Fat Matts there, and a couple other places....cough. . . Hooters.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Thanks for the long distance moral support OOTT

So. For those of you not in the US....today is the first of two nation-wide "Hispanic strike" days. The second will be in May. Essentially....all Hispanic people are encouraged/planning/asked to boycott work and make it clear how much our economy and by extension society needs their labor.

A restaurant is one of the best examples of this. Also one of the best examples of a place that undocumented/illegal folks are the bulk of the labor force. Many restaurants here are closing- we are not, but we will have a very limited menu - and only SIX of our back-of-house (kitchen, etc) staff will be working. That's compared to about 10-15 throughout the day. Managers (one of whom is Hispanic) will be cooking, prepping, etc....

I am curious as to how many of our customers know about this and what reactions will be when expectations of what they want for lunch and how quickly it arrives are....not met. Leaving my personal opinions of all parts of the immigration "situation" we have on our hands here, this should be an interesting day. Different situations and industries- for example, Cliff's schools, where such a large county means different races predominate in different parts- will be effected differently, and it certainly makes me think about the whole complicated situation....it is not personal to me in the sense that I am a legal, Americna-born, WHITE person, yet the status of Hispanic immigrants etc certainly impacts my life.

Non-alcohol related opening thoughts from me.

Six days til one year! Plenty of work to keep me busy through those- or at least til Sun when I have the anticipation of those three days off and all the nice time with my beloved.

Happy Thu to all-
A
Old 02-16-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Been drowning in work this week so I've been travelling to the library and staying there all day. By the time I get home I just want to go to bed! On top of things now though. I've pretty much decided on my university choice, but it's not easy to achieve the entry requirements. The hard work is really necessary.

Also, it's my one year anniversary of being sober today! I know I've had a few slips but they weren't major or long lasting, so this day is still pretty special to me.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

It should be special, OT, you're doing great! Happy birthday!
Old 02-16-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Yeah OT! Way to go girl! I remember those days of being in the library all day. Its hard no doubt but rewarding when its all said and done.

IN YOUR HONOR ITS HOF WEEK. My hair is really on fire too if it makes you feel better. OOTT's hair is ablaze too.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad things are going well for you OT

Have a great weekend people

D
Old 02-16-2017, 10:39 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!

One final push and it's the weekend.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Great job OT!!! Love all of us.

Patio today- it is right on the brink of nice/too cold so we will see what happens.

Still tired hangover from these past few days. Looking ahead to next week's time off and all that is a help in keeping pep in my step

Have a great day all=
A
Old 02-17-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!
Going to try to do a better job posting. I know I have been lame! The past few months have been difficult for me with all of the "Should I go back to school?" stress, but I have been strong on the sober front. It really doesn't bother me. My 1 year will be on March 1st since I quit last leap year.

OT--I am very proud of you. As I have said, it is very hard at your age to be able to accomplish what you have. And to have some slips and just not give up is almost harder than to stay completely sober!!

I hope everyone is doing well. I should know by March 15th of my school choices, then will better be able to make the decision, based on offers, if this is feasible for me. I have high hopes!

I promise to log in more often. I do think of everyone!
Be good to you!
Lee
Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Congrats OT!!!!!😺

It's storm Lucifer here (dont know who names the storms, but I oppose). Supposedly biggest storm in 6 years! Woop Woop!!

Great to see the 1 year anniversaries here! Strength in numbers!
Old 02-17-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Checking in. All is well. Congrats OT on both 1 year and putting in the hours for school. Good job Aug on just taking a nap when you've had enough bs. Congrats Lee on getting in to the schools you want. So many accomplishments here. Isn't it amazing what clear minds and nourished bodies can accomplish!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

It really is, PHRD. It's amazing. Alcohol was a yuuuge frigging anchor around our necks. For me, it negatively affected every aspect of my life. Virtually everything.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Immediate confession: huge sugar food binge yesterday. I was FINE (ha- nice acronym) til after work. It was crazy busy on the patio so I only had time to eat an apple and a bagel mid-shift, then I had a small super food salad around 5 so I wasn't totally starving by the time I got home for dinner. Good dinner- omelet, big serving of green beans and small serving of rice. Then I started.....it was bad. Anyway....I remember doing this around 90 days, for a weekend, mainly with ice cream. Something was agitating me....I think it is a perverse (alcoholic), self-sabotaging reaction to all the SO good in my life. Solution: no ice cream in the house for the next week. That would be a huge reduction in my bingeing. Better solution: assess what is disturbing me and refocus on acceptance.

Early morning musings from the Atlanta alcoholic in the group.

Lunch shift as our week together begins- our 14 year old goes to Puerto Rico this morning til next weekend! She's doing great; 18 year old not so much. I also saw my parents who were here for a few days and I have a feeling that cliff talked to my dad.....it is little things like him helping with a few things that my Mom couldn't and no questions from her about it, and such.....and so my patient waiting goes (maybe that's why I am eating so much, ha!).

Anyhoo- happy Sat all-
A
Old 02-18-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Saturday everyone,
Kinda annoyed about tonight. It's a good friend's birthday and I promised a while ago that I'd be the DD. Now that it is here I'm like "Ugh." He's 47. That's ridiculous. So I finally told him that I'm up for dinner but he and I could do something on another day. I can't handle 8 hours of drunk people.

Everything else is going great. I have my last school interview in a little over a week and it will decide what my outcome will be after I see tangible offers. If nothing else it is exciting, though the wait since September has been grueling.

Happy Saturday, all!
Lee
Old 02-18-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Hi have been following the weather on the news/ looks scary to me
Old 02-18-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Thank you all!

I've been worrying a lot about my work. Hard work doesn't always equal a good grade. But I've done all I can do, just going to have to submit it now and whatever will be, will be. Luckily my insurance choice for university is still a pretty good uni, not the end of the world if I don't get my first choice.

Not long 'til you hear back now Lee! Got a preference in mind or trying not to think about that yet?

I had to cut out sugar almost completely August, it was getting completely out of hand! Especially after I stopped drinking. Sugar crashes are terrible.

To everyone affected by the storm: stay safe!
Old 02-19-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

OT, I do have a first choice in mind, but not sure it's the most cost-effective choice and it might cause much more upheaval in my life than I want. The program is also one year longer. Regardless, I will know by March 15th. It is going to be between two schools, and really who gives the best offer.

Pissed some people off last night but oh well. Went out to dinner and just was not up to drive drunks around all night. Yes, I know I promised, but I had told my friend 8 hours before I was not up for it. That's what Uber is for.

Just made me mad b/c about 6 people tried to gang up on me about going out and staying out late. Not pressure to drink per se but who wants to stay out until 3 am if you are not partying? Came home and watched tv and had a great time. I don't have the time or patience for that anymore.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:06 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Well Lee, let the offers roll in and like you said, hopefully it'll make your decision easier.
I decided on my first choice being the uni where I'm living right now, I'll just be moving closer to the city. Wasn't ready to move too far away from my friends, plus it's in the top 10 UK unis! Held in really high esteem for research as well, made sense to stick around.

Everyone's back to college today so I won't have the library to myself. Still got lots of work to get done but not sweating it.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Sounds like you did the right thing for you, Lee. Good job.

Three day staycation is HERE. And I realized because of leap year that tomorrow 21st would actually be 365 days so that is what I am calling 1 year Maybe 22d too. Because sober me can do that, ha!!

Life is good.
Hugs to all-
A
Old 02-20-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hey OT, August, and everyone!

OT--That's kind of my quandary: the school where I want to attend would require a very large move. Though that is exciting, it is also scary. It is also very expensive. But I will have my interview and see, first of all if I get in, lol. Then I will look at their offer.

The school here is a great school and would require minimal upheaval, and is quite a bit less expensive. So we will see.

Enjoying having an extra day off. 9 more days until one year! Woo hoo!
Be good to yourselves,
Lee