Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 29

Old 01-13-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

I know it must be addressed. I thought i was on to something is the thing.

I saw an avenue through for a moment. Then whack. Shutdown.

All part of it I suppose....
Old 01-13-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Obo, sorry about the situation and hope that the change in therapist will be a good one for you. When do you meet with him? Maybe some mindfulness/meditation would be a good idea to get you head in a good space after that? I'll be around here this weekend if you need to chat
Old 01-14-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Obo, sorry to hear about your experience with that particular therapist, it would be easy now to dismiss the whole "therapy community", but keep focused on your goal - to address these difficult issues. What will help you move forward? Perhaps a male therapist might be more helpful. It's got to be worth a go?

Just know that we're all routing for you <3
Old 01-14-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by obosob View Post
Drove an hour to the quacks....

Then she says she's not suitable for me. Refers me to a male quack because he is better equipped to deal with my issues.

She hadn't called him. And failed to mention this on the phone to me earlier in the day. She said a man would be able to handle anger and relationship issues for men better than her.

This took 10 minutes.

So i thanked her for her honesty and went to leave. But she wanted full payment for the session.
I asked her if that was fair and reasonable. THEN she asked for half.......

I told her if she really wanted 50 bucks she could have it.

I was paying cash to avoid medicare and being on a record.....

She said oh no then.... I told her not to worry about a referral and walked off.

Bloody therapy is all crap. You cant trust them. I studied with and drank with them before.

No worries not drinking. But did have to go to the fish and chip shop.

Still really upset about it though.
Obos, I'm studying to be a therapist right now. I know a referral can seem like a slap in the face, but a good therapist refers a patient they aren't able to help. It's a fundamental ethical requirement. I hope you don't give therapy up; there is a myriad of styles and forms.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I hope you're all doing well! Today marks one year drug and alcohol free. I decided to come out of the sober closet and shared this on instagram and facebook. I am honestly blow away by the support and kind messages I have received. Thank you all for posting and helping over the course of the last year!

The social stigma of being a drug addict and alcoholic used to scare the hell out of me. Anonymity was vital for me early on, but anyone who's been close to me the last few years knows I've been in and out of sobriety. My journey started a couple years ago when I began seeing a therapist for depression, anxiety, and for a general dissatisfaction with life. Along the way, I encountered suicidal feelings, a myriad of relapses, and lots of ups and downs. The worse of it came in the winter of 2015; I reached a point where I was starting everyday with a handful of pills and chasing them down with bourbon. Weekends included more drugs just to feel anything at all. Thankfully, on this day last year I had my last drink or drug and entered in patient treatment. I would like to thank my family, friends, and others in recovery that have supported me. Without all of you, this year sober would not have been possible.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Hey all

Obs- I prefer male therapists ... even tho I'm female - usually a lot less touchy feely- more say it like it is ...

Congrats Noolan!! For a year and the courage to be authentic on that level - that's awesome

❤️
Old 01-14-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Noolan View Post
Obos, I'm studying to be a therapist right now. I know a referral can seem like a slap in the face, but a good therapist refers a patient they aren't able to help. It's a fundamental ethical requirement. I hope you don't give therapy up; there is a myriad of styles and forms.
I think the slap in the face was wanting him to pay for pretty much nothing.

Also, Congrats on the year.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upward2Enlightenment View Post
I think the slap in the face was wanting him to pay for pretty much nothing.
I hate that happened- I hope the experience with the flakey lady doesn't keep you from getting what you need. A referral from someone you know might be best- takes more than a degree to make a good counselor imo- however, good ones seem to get good reputations

It's raining here! It's a miracle! About to watch tv and go to bed early- day 24 ... and that's a miracle too
Old 01-14-2017, 05:23 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

So happy for you Noolan on 1 year sobriety & all that it has brought into your life. You are an inspiration!

Way to go Izzy...keep it up!

Feeling a bit more human here today but still feeling zapped....had cabin fever & went out for a drive in the sunshine...was nice
Old 01-14-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Keep it up izz!!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:33 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Good stuff, Noo.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Drunk driving wreck outside my front door tonight....didn't make the curve, missed the power pole went through the lines & a fence into someone's back yard. Had to extricate him &!the guy that brought blankets back to me said he told him he was drunk. So grateful that is not me tonight. My nerves are ****. Keep looking forward Fools.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:17 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Congratulations Noolan, what a transformation you've made
Old 01-15-2017, 12:28 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Mariah, I hope there were no bad injuries for anyone. Thank goodness for your sobriety, so you were able help.

Izzy, great work. You're doing it!

I'm aching from my yoga practice yesterday, who says yoga is easy? Just laying around? It feels good to stretch this 50 year old body, it's amazing how general stiffness creeps up on you. Getting back some flexibility in both mind and body is definitely possible with a bit of time and effort.

I've been listening to a yoga podcast when I'm commuting - it's inspiring me.

Hope everyone's weekend is going well.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MariahGayle View Post
Drunk driving wreck outside my front door tonight....didn't make the curve, missed the power pole went through the lines & a fence into someone's back yard. Had to extricate him &!the guy that brought blankets back to me said he told him he was drunk. So grateful that is not me tonight. My nerves are ****. Keep looking forward Fools.
I'm glad it wasn't you either! Last Sunday my friend called me while I was on my way to a meeting to go check if his car was parked. I felt like it was a strange request and he explained it was because he got in an accident parked it and left. This brought back a rush of emotions from my DUI and drinking and driving days, so I get the feeling!
Old 01-16-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Quiet here- stayed home yet again today & think I've turned the corner today which is good as I'm also suffering some serious cabin fever. Will be good to go back to work tomorrow.

I've got to get back to an exercise routine this week..I'm feeling a lot of dis-ease lately. anyway, hope you're all doing OK.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

For some reason I've had problems logging in to SR today, all seems to be ok now though.

Glad to hear you're feeling better Mariah!

My birthday is coming up soon, and I've ordered an instant pot from Amazon as OH's birthday gift. I can't wait until it arrives - apparently it can cook dried beans in about 20 minutes, fabulous! It will make our meal prep so much easier.

OH is already quaking in his boots in the knowledge that he will have to endure some culinary experimentation.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Congratulations Noolan. A great achievement. Well done.

Hope all are well.

Went back to the Ashram on Saturday and attended a chanting meditation for an hour. It had been a long time.

Australian open tennis on tv and the cricket at night. Caning the ice cream....
Old 01-18-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Obo, I've never been to an Ashram, that sounds a wonderful environment for meditation. Are you able to continue your practice at home? Meditation is such a helpful mind strategy.

Had a meeting with my Mum and her social worker today, it went quite well. It looks like she can stay at the care home long term. She also recognised me today, and called me by name (that made me tearful, how I took that simple thing for granted for so many years!)

There's so much to be grateful for.

I'm starting a course on proof reading and copy editing - I'm hoping one day to give up the day job and be able to work from home. I'm quite excited about starting something new.

Hope everyone's doing well.

Tops, how's it going with the woodburner?
Old 01-18-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Just ot of hospital.

Could have died but everything went right.

Anaphylaxis after a jumping jack bite.

Caught in my boot whilst on the chainsaw. 2 direct bites to the foot. Reaction came on so intense I went into shock. Wife drove straight into hospital.

Doctor said worst case in a long time. Airways shut down needed 2 shots adrenaline and many others for alergies.

Oxygen mask. IV drip. 6 hours observation in emergency ward.

Very heavy......

It has really shaken me up. Very badly.