December there are some great tips for social occasions here:

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

D
Old 12-12-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Day 3!

Originally Posted by Timetobefree View Post
Its my first day too, we can do it! Xx
Onto a 3rd day of success! Hope you're doing well!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:19 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Wanted to, but didnt...

My grandma fell today and is currently in the hospital. The call was from my dad. I was JUST over there two hours before. She didn't even remember me being there. Luckily, they got there as soon as she had fallen. It made me want a drink after getting the bad news because of other stressful events going on in my life currently. But, I resisted. Made myself a cup of chamomile and threw on a movie. Feeling better now, just nervous about how my grandma is, as I'm awaiting updates. Send prayers and positive vibes, please! They are much needed!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for you, your grandma and your family jshepherd.
Good on you too for staying strong

D
Old 12-12-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about your grandmother Jshepherd. I hope she'll be better soon.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:13 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Jshepherd- thinking of you and your grandmother. I hope she's okay. You look after yourself too.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Good morning to all on day 9 for me.

All ok but had a couple of poor nights of sleep after several good ones. Tail end of my bug I think. Still, it has left the world feeling a bit sharp edged as I try to manage demands of work, family life, Christmas arrangements etc. Of course, it is nothing at all compared to whacking, great hangover, so feeling very grateful for that.

I realise that I am getting much more than I give to SR but I am also trying to make a small contribution here and there. I read some threads and think about how desperate people sound and how much I want to change things for them - not that I can, of course. But all I can bring myself to do just now is to hit the 'Thanks' button or send them best wishes. For now, I am sure to remain a net 'consumer' of support here but this is still a very new concept for me. Maybe one day I will be a net provider....

Thanks again, everyone and best wishes for today.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Don't worry SameOld, you give us all strength just by sharing your daily update

I too find the christmas period insanely stressful. Looking back, I've almost always ended up on a bender during December for the past 5 or 6 years, so its clearly a trigger for me that I've not addressed. I just find all the extra responsibility and lack of time to myself hard to deal with. My family all know about my booze issue, and wont drink on christmas day. I actually find this makes me feel worse as I just feel that i'm ruining it for them, and that i'm the centre of attention. It makes the whole day a huge issue for me. I'd rather they just continue as normal, let me turn up for a few hours and then get some time to myself. I know that probably sounds very selfish and they are just trying to help though.

Anyway - i'm on to day 9 now. I'm meeting my Dad for some food in the city this afternoon. Other than that more reading (both here and a good book) and looking after myself. I have an insatiable appetite at the moment. I could do with putting half a stone on though so this is my chance!

Stay safe all
Old 12-13-2016, 03:27 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  
Administrator

It may be your family is glad to have a sober Christmas B.

I remembered my family Xmases as a boozefest...but now I'm sober noone seems to drink much at all.

Noone seems disappointed

D
Old 12-13-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Thanks, Bringing Back B! Appreciated.
Dee, is that what they might call the observer's paradox or similar? I once found out to my horror that half the people I 'blamed' for my drinking and former drug use actually lived in constant fear of me coming out because of my apparent determination to turn every occasion into a session (for all present). I used to say the same about them. And yet, I fancy that I am a relatively aware sort of person too! Just shows how make the narratives that we need to support what we do, ha?
Anyway, I feel like I am seeing things pretty clearly just now so, on with the tasks of shaping up this new lifestyle!
Old 12-13-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

I would like to join this class. Today is day 1 for me. I'm taking sobriety very serious this time. Not that I haven't before, but I realize how how easy it is to slip back into daily drinking.

This time will be different. I'm going to really educate myself about alcoholism and put a plan together to prevent slipping up again. I've wasted another year being a drunk. I'm done wasting my life, hurting my health and not being the person I want to be.

Happy birthday to me!!! (Sobriety birthday)
Old 12-13-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Hello everybody,
I registered in the November thread when I first came here but I didn't make 48 hours before drinking again.
I've decided to try again on December 1st and to wait a bit before coming back here.
Here I am now, pretty proud of myself : 12 days totally sober
I feel incridibly happy. Wow wow wow for the new energy, it's almost too much.
I used to fight hangovers on a daily basis and it's weird to be top shape when I wake up now.
Sooo, you'll see me again in the coming weeks.
Thanks for all your posts, it's a big plus for me to read them.
Ps: Sorry for my english, I'm french from Montreal.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

I'm in. It's my first day. :/
Old 12-13-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Welcome Franklin! We will knock day 1 out together. It won't be easy, but day 2 will be easier. Congrats on making the choice to have a better life.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Day 2.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
My sober date is December 9, 2016. Definately interested in communicating with you all on our way to sobriety! I think we all need this.
K
Old 12-13-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  
fgo

Hi everyone, glad to see the days adding up.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

It's great to see all the newcomers. Welcome kyng, sinderos, Franklin and Koala. Sorry if I missed anyone.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the newbies! The more the merrier! I can hardly give advice and feel also like I am getting far more from SR than giving.

Day 10 here and feeling pretty good! I have my temptations and it seems a daunting task to think of NEVER drinking again. But as I learned here, just focus on 24 hours at a time! Celebrate every day you win that fight. Then do it AGAIN!
Old 12-13-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

I'm joining the December group. I'm working on my plan to stay sober for good. Part of the plan is to post every day. Keep up the tenacity and bravery everyone.