Notices

Class of December 2016 Support Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
MeSoSober - I am currently reading Jason Vale's - Kick the drink easily, which is helping provide new insights. I have also read Jack Trimpey's book on AVRT a few years ago. I would love to read it again, although for the life of me, I cannot find it!. I also read Refuge Recovery, which is a buddhist approach, but I really struggled with it if i'm honest with you. There are people on here who it has helped hugely though if I remember rightly.
Thank you for those recommendations! I actually went to the book recommendations thread and found one of Dee's old posts saying he'd really liked Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Stop Drinking. So then I went to a certain well-known auction site and saw there was an illustrated edition, so I bought it. It's shipping from England but was still only $8.41USD total including shipping. Just have to wait a little longer.

LOTS of very inexpensive recovery books on that Well-Known Auction Site.

Welcome GhostFace, WaterHunter, mblake -- glad you're here.

Only Day 2 for me, but I'm doing all right. REALLY looking forward to the long Christmas break we get at work. I have a lot of regrouping and cleaning and reading and exercising and everything else to do. All sober, of course.

DA: Suffolk cop in fatal Sunrise Hwy. crash had 10 pints of beer | Newsday

I read this today and I need a steady dose of these kinds of stories as a good slap in the face to remind me that if I drink again, it could be me who drives drunk and kills someone.

Hugs, all. Tomorrow is another day. Remember your strength.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

I am joining. Not really excited about it, being sober that is, but it sure has to be better than the hell I am in now.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Day 3. Went to my first AA meeting in months, but I didn't get a white chip.... Just feels weird and I got too nervous. I'll get one tomorrow though. I need to meet women and get a home group. Want to really work at it this time not half ass it.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is 15 days. Still concerned for the holidays and drinking. I'll probably be here on the hour. Lo.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:00 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good Morning, Class! I hope everyone stays strong and has a great day!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:07 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.

Im back. After a long time. I have "been in control" of my drinking in a very bad way for quite a considerable time now. Whilst I suppose it's futile to blame something for my drinking, my relationship with my wife has something to do with it all. But that's still an excuse.

I am an alcoholic. Always have been. I suppose it has been in many guises over my adult life, had reasons, excuses, cause, and drastic effect all the way through my twenties and thirties. My friends have been regularly wasted with me through some of it. But they stop at some point. They don't get arrested, beaten up, wake up in the middle of nowhere with no wallet or house keys. Act like a ******* ******* like I do.

I lost my mum when I was 15. My father promptly married a 26 year old who kicked me and my brothers out of the house. The drinking really started then. 21 years ago. My little brother (and best friend) died in 2009 and I rode that one for a good few years. Now Im running out of excuses, but still getting off my face. People tell me things about our nights I have no recollection of. I don't even feel ashamed anymore. I just accept that I'm a ******* disaster.

And I have two kids. They are lovely. Just little dudes needing a decent dad. I am, for the most part, when Im not getting wasted.

You know the worst thing? I can go days without a drop. But when I get it.. then it just goes fast. Lunatic fast. Someone said the other day that my eyes change. I become someone else. A dark person that I have never met, because I probably can't remember. My body and soul is taken over by someone with a different agenda.

But then I am the nice drunk. The friendly, funny, witty drunk. And so I lie to myself that that makes up for it. Who doesn't enjoy a few drinks now and again? After Christmas I'll stop. Just after that weekend my friend comes over. Then my other friend's birthday. Then my trip to Paris with my wife. Then the time I'll just get slyly wasted after work, drink 15 beers and be at home cooking dinner, pretending to be sober. Then because I was stressed out. It was a hard day at work. I can't deal with my wife.

But it's always someone else's fault. But no. I know that's all a load of ********. It's me. I'm just a ******* loser with no sense of perspective. I think I can drink in moderation. But it's a huge lie.

All the loss I ever had I dealt with through alcohol. And now there is no loss, I'm just drinking anyway. Brilliant coping mechanism that was. I don't exactly know why Im here, because I "tried" before but found a reason to drink again.

I'm not really sure where to start, although I suppose this is some sort of start. It's probably a letter to myself. I feel like **** and don't have anything to offer anyone at the moment. Just epic fail.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:05 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Hey EE, that was a hell of a long introduction back into the forum and a heck of a familiar story. No one judging you here brother! You have been here before and you know what to do. If you have a few days under your belt already, GREAT! If not make TODAY DAY 1, GREAT TOO! Have a plan and make a pledge for 24 hours at a time.

Most of us in this thread are Newbies and we ALL have our own stories that brought us here, but we are ALL here to get SOBER!

Welcome aboard. Read, Read and Read some more!

Here is another good thread: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-188-a.html
Old 12-15-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Welcome ee and all the other newcomers. Its great to see so many of us here together supporting each other.

Day 11 for me now. I'm feeling a bit melancholic this morning, but that's because I have been reflecting on a lot of things within the past few hours. Overall i'm feeling confident in pushing forward.

I'm off to the local drug + alcohol centre here this afternoon. They're so busy, it took me 2 weeks to get an appointment. That goes some way to showing the scale of people with drink + drug issues, particularly in my area. We think we are isolated and alone, but we really aren't. One of the reasons I want to be on their books is because they run SMART meetings there. I've done the online ones but never been to an in person meeting, always wanted to. Its a recovery method that is still growing, so there aren't many meetings right now, but thats a darn site better than a couple of years ago when they were only online.

I'll be sure to report back afterwards and check in here. Apart from that i'm just enjoying my time off relaxing, reading, playing video games. De-stressing from what has been an extremely hectic couple of months.

Take care all
Old 12-15-2016, 02:18 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back EE

Calling yourself a loser and other names is exactly what your addiction wants - its much easier to ride over someone with low self esteem.

You're not a loser tho - you've fought this a long time, you keep coming back, and I think you'll keep fighting until you get this

I hope you can make this time your time..any ideas on a plan?

D
Old 12-15-2016, 02:29 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Hello,

I hope you don't mind me jumping in here - 24 hours clean so far - hoping to make it through another day
Old 12-15-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Jump on in PW! Welcome to our class. Sounds like you are already starting Day 2. Lots of good stuff and folks lending a hand on this forum. I am only on Day 12 but have gained much more confidence than when I started. Lots of Old Timers with great advice!
Old 12-15-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  
Administrator

hiya purplewitch - welcome

D
Old 12-15-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Thank you quitter62 and Dee.

That was quite an introduction back to this site. I suppose there was a lot of truth to get out.

I forgot that there is a place where people don't automatically judge you for your problems. It's good to be here.

Dee, I'm not sure I have a plan. I know I need to be sober to think through all of the underlying issues I have which I have previously medicated with alcohol. I just took 2 days off work, am going to go to Rome tomorrow with my camera, walk around the city, clear my head and try to formulate a plan.

Any tips from you guys would be sincerely appreciated. Thank you for having me back!
Old 12-15-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great ideas here ee
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
D
Old 12-15-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the welcome. I've been here before and lost track and failed but I'm picking myself back up. The gym and meditation has been working for me. Today is going to be hard but I'm managing by keeping myself busy and constantly working on my personal growth. Hope everyone is doing well
Old 12-15-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Day 4, I woke up and actually wanted to get out of bed. That has not happened to me in a very very very long time. We can do this!
Old 12-15-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Morning all. Day 14. Feel rotten today not felt great all week tbh taken day off work and taking it easy.

Welcome to all the newbies.

Hope your meeting goes well BBB.

Welcome back EE. Have fun in rome. We,re off there in a couple of months so I'll get some tips from you
Old 12-15-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Day 4. I shared at a meeting for the first time. Probably because there was only six of us in the room. But it really helped open my eyes to some obvious signs that led to my relapse. Like hanging out in bars, not speaking up in AA, not meeting more sober people.

I'm really going to work hard to go to a meeting everyday, so far they have been great starts to my day! I know what happens when I don't give it my all so why not see what happens when I DO give it my all?

But this weekend an old friend is having an xmas party. I think I'll go late, use the excuse I'm driving, bring food and hang out mainly near the food plates all night. UGH. I don't want to cancel on her.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Hope
Originally Posted by SulfuricSplash View Post
Day 4. I shared at a meeting for the first time. Probably because there was only six of us in the room. But it really helped open my eyes to some obvious signs that led to my relapse. Like hanging out in bars, not speaking up in AA, not meeting more sober people.

I'm really going to work hard to go to a meeting everyday, so far they have been great starts to my day! I know what happens when I don't give it my all so why not see what happens when I DO give it my all?

But this weekend an old friend is having an xmas party. I think I'll go late, use the excuse I'm driving, bring food and hang out mainly near the food plates all night. UGH. I don't want to cancel on her.
Well done for sharing. Its great youve found what helps.
Please don't be afraid of cancelling. I realised I have to put myself and my feelings and sobriety first before other people. No way could I have gone to a Xmas party after 1 week sober. I would be worried about not drinking what people would say the fact I'd want to drink etc. Even if I survived intact I'd be so stressed by the time I got home I'd drink. putting yourself in uncomfortable situations early on is dangerous ime
Old 12-15-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

I'd like to rejoin you all. Another day 1 here. I have a busy day today and all I want to do is stay in bed. I'm hoping the busy will help with cravings today. Going to pick up my daughter an hour and a half away, shopping, drive back home and go to my three sons christmas concert. If I let AV it would tell me I can see something to drink in between getting home and the concert, because my hubby will be driving. What madness.
I've also been letting myself drink nightly because of my Mom being sick. It's time to stop using that as an excuse. It's also time for me to talk to my hubby again. No alcohol in the house.

Thanks for letting me rant. I really truly hope and pray this will be my last class.

to all