Notices

Class of December 2016 Support Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the newbies. I hope your grandmother is OK jshepherd. Take care of you too.

Nearly half way through December and we re all planning on being sober and embracing a new wonderful sober life. We re not giving up something or missing out. We are embracing change and opening up a new life with endless and wonderful opportunities and possibilities.

Night all. Early night for me. Junior Ral off school today. Mr ral has injured his back and I feel lousy too.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Welcome Kyng, Sinderos, Franklin, Koala and Icewater. Good to have you with us.

Congrats to you all on your sobrieties.

Have a good and sober Wednesday.

I won't drink today! Are you joining me?
Old 12-13-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I just read the survival guide that Dee mentioned yesterday and it's so good I thought I'll copy it in here as I know how hard it is to start planning. All you need to do is adapt it to your needs for this xmas.

Dee, thank you so much for posting the link.

Thanksgiving Survival Guide
Thanksgiving is two days away. Holidays can be difficult for sober people, or people struggling to get or stay sober.

Now is a good time to prepare.

We thought we'd share some tips. You can not only survive Thanksgiving, you can enjoy it. All you need to do is plan ahead. Please add your own in the comments below; this is by no means a comprehensive list.

Think ahead. Is it hard for you to be around alcohol? Be honest with yourself. Now is not a time for heroics. Keep your expectations realistic: if it is going to be too difficult, maybe this year is a time to do something different for Thanksgiving. Don't set yourself up to fail. You can spend a quiet time at home watching movies or hanging out with other friends, volunteer at a shelter serving food, or go to a meeting instead.
Thanksgiving is usually about family. If there are people in your family who trigger you, be ready. You don't have to go to every fight you're invited to .. plan what you'll say or do if someone gives you a hard time.
Have safe people to call - program their numbers into your phone in advance, and tell them you're going to call if things get tough. If everyone around you is drinking and it starts to bring you down, talking to someone else who is sober helps you remember that you are NOT alone.
Bring your own beverages. This is especially important if you're going to be around people who don't know you're sober. If you always have a drink in your hand, people won't hand you alcohol or ask if you want something to drink.
You don't have to over explain. If someone is pressuring you to drink, be ready with an answer. A white lie is totally acceptable - tell people you're on antibiotics, or you're watching your calories and so you aren't drinking.
Have an escape plan. If you can, bring your own car. Plan to go for a post-turkey walk - fresh air and exercise will get your endorphins flowing and help tamp down cravings.
Plan your exit in advance. If everyone is going to settle in to watch football and drink and you don't want to be part of it ... don't. Tell whoever is hosting that you have to leave at a certain time so you don't get drawn in to staying longer than you want to.
Remember to be proud of yourself - shame and guilt are huge triggers. Give yourself credit for staying strong.
Think about the next morning, when you'll wake up hangover-free and rested. Think about how horribly you felt the morning after drinking, and how sober you don't wake up and think, "I wish I drank last night."
Think through the drink. If you start romancing how nice "one drink" would be, remember how many times you told yourself you were only going to have one and failed. Having one is harder than having none, because once alcohol is in your system the obsession comes alive.
Remind yourself that Thanksgiving is just one day. A simple 24 hours, just like any other day. Don't put more importance on this day over any other.
Go to bed. If the day is harder than you expected, go to bed early just to put the day to rest. Tomorrow is a new day.
Believe in yourself. Getting sober and staying sober takes serious guts - you are brave and strong and true. If guilt, shame and remorse start talking to you, remind yourself that it's your disease sneaking in the back door. Let your sober voice ring loud and proud in your head.
Forgive yourself for wanting to drink. Don't expect that you won't be hit with a craving; it's natural. Prepare for how you're going to handle the craving instead of berating yourself for having one.
Be grateful. Thanksgiving is a time of giving thanks.. make a gratitude list and carry it with you. Try to focus on the gifts you have in your life, all the possibilities that lie in front of you, instead of all the things you can't have. Sober, you can do anything.
Please add more thoughts and ideas in the comments; we want to hear from you. Addiction thrives in the dark, and together we bring the light.

You are not alone.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

What a substantial geoup we got goin here.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi,
I'm hoping joining this forum will help me quit. I've had a problem with alcohol which has been getting progressively worse, particularly over the past year. Last week I binged and had to phone in sick to work. Unfortunately I didn't stop and continued drinking over the weekend, so I've called in sick again. I stopped drinking today because I can't continue like this. I had 2 cans of cider this morning to help with the withdrawal but then threw up afterwards. I think my body literally cannot take anymore. I've got to go to work tomorrow and I'm worried, really, really worried that my boss and colleagues will know I've been on a drinking binge. My face is red and my hands are shaking like mad. The anxiety and guilt is killing me. I know this is due to the withdrawal so I just hope this passes quickly.
How quickly after stopping drinking do you find yourself looking and feeling like a real person again?
Old 12-13-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Welcome to all of the new classmates! We're really growing goodtimes! This is day 13. Grateful to be sober and wake up with a clear head. I hope your grandmother is ok JShep. Take care of yourself too. Joining You Elke! No drinking today for me! :-)
Old 12-13-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

WLV, Good on you for taking that first step! Get yourself squared away as best you can for work and go in with your head held high KNOWING that you have a plan. Most of us have experienced shame, guilt, regret and/or many other consequences and emotions as a result of drinking. I can't answer how long until you feel 'normal' as everyone is different, but EVERY day that you don't drink will surely leave you feeling better than the day before!!!
Read and Read some more! There are some selfless folks here who spend a ton of their personal time to help with encouragement and advice!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by WLV2825 View Post
Hi,
I'm hoping joining this forum will help me quit. I've had a problem with alcohol which has been getting progressively worse, particularly over the past year. Last week I binged and had to phone in sick to work. Unfortunately I didn't stop and continued drinking over the weekend, so I've called in sick again. I stopped drinking today because I can't continue like this. I had 2 cans of cider this morning to help with the withdrawal but then threw up afterwards. I think my body literally cannot take anymore. I've got to go to work tomorrow and I'm worried, really, really worried that my boss and colleagues will know I've been on a drinking binge. My face is red and my hands are shaking like mad. The anxiety and guilt is killing me. I know this is due to the withdrawal so I just hope this passes quickly.
How quickly after stopping drinking do you find yourself looking and feeling like a real person again?
Hi WLV and welcome to SR. I've done the exact same thing, many a time. I think the time taken to get better after a binge differs from person to person. For me it is usually 2-3 days until i'm feeling 'normal'.

I hope you feel better soon
Old 12-13-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Welcome WLV2825, good to have you with us. You will find lots of support here. Drink some water tonight and try to get a good sleep. I hope you're feeling better tomorrow. You can do it!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

IceWater, that's a damn nice screen name, ha Ha!!!! I would have had to make mine Coffee, Diet Coke, Root Beer, Squirt or Lemonade because I threw out all of my beer and stocked up. When I get that urge to grab a beer, I get a cold soft drink instead and it is fast becoming more 'normal' for me and I feel a lot better the next day to say the least!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by quitter62 View Post
IceWater, that's a damn nice screen name, ha Ha!!!! I would have had to make mine Coffee, Diet Coke, Root Beer, Squirt or Lemonade because I threw out all of my beer and stocked up. When I get that urge to grab a beer, I get a cold soft drink instead and it is fast becoming more 'normal' for me and I feel a lot better the next day to say the least!
Oh my, I wish I could go grab a Root Beer. I absolutely love the stuff, but its so hard to get here in the UK (unless you want to pay crazy prices and import it). When I was in the US recently its pretty much all I had the whole time!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

My screen name would be "coconutH2O"!
I love the stuff! I use to drink pop (as we call it in Chi-town) but, I gave that up years ago. Now it is just coconut water, plain water and almond milk. Yummo
Oh, ya, herbal teas, too!
Hi, quitter62
Old 12-13-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Oh my, I wish I could go grab a Root Beer. I absolutely love the stuff, but its so hard to get here in the UK (unless you want to pay crazy prices and import it). When I was in the US recently its pretty much all I had the whole time!
Wow, you don't have Root Beer? That means no Root Beer Floats? (That's Poured over Vanilla Ice Cream for you Brit's)! And tea instead of coffee???? Not sure about you chaps!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

BringingBackB,
Do you have McCormick Spices in the UK. They make Root Beer Concentrate and you can make your own!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Quitter - we can get it, but its imported and not cheap. I've just moved next to a rather large supermarket though so i'll double check there.

Oh and we are big coffee drinkers as well as Tea! I prefer my tea, with a bit of milk (definitely no sugar!)

Chloe - A quick google tells me we do not - I shall keep investigating though. Its the one thing from over the pond i always crave!

Anyway - rounding out day 9 here. Goodnight all, stay safe and sober.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post
Quitter - we can get it, but its imported and not cheap. I've just moved next to a rather large supermarket though so i'll double check there.
Ooooo . . . sounds like a business opportunity. You could start the UK's only root beer-manufacturing company!

I won't go into my workday, but the important is I still HAVE work.

If anyone is interested in sharing, I like hearing specific things people did today or plan to do to keep sober. For me, just SR, but now I might go get a couple of recovery books on eBay or Amazon.

Jshepherd1207, best wishes for a quick recovery for your gram.

Keep believing in yourselves, everybody. And making whatever changes are necessary.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Cruising through my third week alcohol free and feeling good! Still smoking a little pot, but it's one thing at a time for me. I'm thinking less and less about drinking as the AV just keeps getting quieter and quieter!
Old 12-13-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Sinderos Koala Franklin Icewater and WLV2825.

Wlv2825 for me, it used to take 2-3 days...but by the end, it took me most of a week to feel and look vaguely normal.

The good thing is coming here and really getting involved in this community was a real game changer for me. Coming up to 10 years sober now.

You can do it too

D
Old 12-13-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by sameoldsameold View Post
Thanks, Bringing Back B! Appreciated.
Dee, is that what they might call the observer's paradox or similar? I once found out to my horror that half the people I 'blamed' for my drinking and former drug use actually lived in constant fear of me coming out because of my apparent determination to turn every occasion into a session (for all present). I used to say the same about them. And yet, I fancy that I am a relatively aware sort of person too! Just shows how make the narratives that we need to support what we do, ha?
Anyway, I feel like I am seeing things pretty clearly just now so, on with the tasks of shaping up this new lifestyle!
It's been a long time since I did any sociology , but I certainly wasn't a neutral observer, not could my perceptions of events be trusted, LOL.

I think I probably gave other people sanction to drink a little more than they might have.

Plus people change over 10 years, we're all middle aged now.

Whatever the reason Xmas is a nicer place to be now

D
Old 12-14-2016, 01:52 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Morning all

10 days now I have been free from that emotional and physical hell I was in. I'm feeling strong and confident that I will get through this christmas period fully in control of my senses and mental wellbeing. I can do that by not picking up a drink.

I'm meeting up with more family today, I think we're going for some food. OTher than that, I will stick close to SR and continue my reading of non-drinking literature.

MeSoSober - I am currently reading Jason Vale's - Kick the drink easily, which is helping provide new insights. I have also read Jack Trimpey's book on AVRT a few years ago. I would love to read it again, although for the life of me, I cannot find it!. I also read Refuge Recovery, which is a buddhist approach, but I really struggled with it if i'm honest with you. There are people on here who it has helped hugely though if I remember rightly.