Notices

Class of December 2016 Support Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 02:04 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Good Morning to All! 4:00am here and feeling pretty good. Have to work today but still we be able to pop in and check things out. Hope everyone finishes out their weekend clean and sober. We can do it! It's not always easy but it will be the NEW 'normal' in due time.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome timetobefree, macsmith and jshepherd

D
Old 12-11-2016, 02:35 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Good morning. 5:30am and day 13 sober. I have been up all night. Turned the light out at two and have just been laying here since. This is not like me at all. Just thinking I guess. I turned down an invite to a friend's house for dinner because I didnt feel ready to face them sober while they drank. These people dont have a problem with it and expect me to be the one slamming them back. Taking some time for me I guess.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:59 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

If you haven't said it yet today, I'll say it for you:
LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER WHEN WE ARE SOBER!!!!
Old 12-11-2016, 03:28 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Originally Posted by Bananas44 View Post
I turned down an invite to a friend's house for dinner because I didnt feel ready to face them sober while they drank.
Good decision! Old friends who are "normies" are my worst trigger too. I love my friends and want to keep them, but I need to accept I am not like them. I'm different. That's a hard one to accept. Now I know that one celebratory toast is like breaking a seal that will be torture to repair.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Whatever it takes - just for today.

Smile

So it is 11:30 at night here and I am still awake. With alcohol I was lucky to stay awake until 9pm.

I am tired and I want to sleep but my head wont shut up. BUT it is filled with positive thoughts and abuzz with hope. A very new experience for me.

Although I am scared I will lose them, I am grateful to have them
Old 12-11-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Feeling physically horrible - but, I am pleased to say, not through alcohol. Got a horrible bug that has been through the office. Still, I usually spend Sundays pretending (including to myself) that I have a bug when I really have a hangover- so this is progress! So, physically not the best but that is easy compared to the self-recriminations of hangovers. Another good, sober day.
Best wishes to everyone, especially the new recruits.
Day 7
Old 12-11-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Day ten for me.just driven five hours so tired now.hope everyone has a good day.x
Old 12-11-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Had a bit of insomnia last night but nice to have no hangover! I had the urge to go to the shop for wine just now but i read through a few posts in here and im not doing it! The force of habit is so hard to break but im having a nice dinner instead and watching a favourite boxset. Am tired and headachey but im so glad not to have that polluted, dried out feeling I usually have! Hope everyone is good.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Has anyone read any recovery/addiction literature?

Im just about to start Jason Vale's 'Kick the Drink Easily'. I had previously read Allen Carrs book (not the comedian - UK folk), which i intend to read again.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post

Im just about to start Jason Vale's 'Kick the Drink Easily'. I had previously read Allen Carrs book (not the comedian - UK folk), which i intend to read again.
I read the Allen Carr one, it was very good and made a lot of sense. It did work for me for a bit, i might try the Jason Vale one though, i like his books.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Originally Posted by Timetobefree View Post
I read the Allen Carr one, it was very good and made a lot of sense. It did work for me for a bit, i might try the Jason Vale one though, i like his books.
So far they seem quite similar (i believe they worked together at one point). But i do really enjoy Jason's writing style.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BringingBackB View Post

Yes also read the Allen Carr book. Rational recovery is excellent. I also like think right feel right by r. Isett. Not specifically drink related but teaches about changing thinking patterns and learning to control thoughts and emotions. Easy to read and makes total sense.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Joining in again

Hi, officially joining the class of Dec 2016. After a long battle with this disease I have decided the reason I keep having relapses is that I am not actively seeking support outside of my family. I first joined SR back in 01-23-2013 and have since then been back and forwards with alcohol but have spent over half that time in periods of abstinence - longest being 6 months. Prob is that I keep relapsing every few months - these episodes only last a couple of days to a week but they happen all the same and I just want it to be over for good. I have no illusions as to whether I can drink again, I know I can't but this time I am seeking support to stick to my decision I have started AA also so hopefully this time I can stay away from alcohol for good. I am currently at about 48hrs, no bad withdrawal so far - just a bit dizzy and light headed so have been eating and drinking juice and water to keep this away. Hi to everyone else on here and so glad SR exists and is there to help us all
Old 12-11-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Welcome, seekinga! Glad you came back! Lots of support here.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

I hope it's okay that I join as well. I'm ready to commit to my sobriety.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Glad to have you join the Class of Dec. 2016! Tell us alittle about yourself.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:39 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Administrator

get well soon sameoldsameold

welcome back seekinga!

D
Old 12-11-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Thanks! ��
I have been lurking here for a while.
I have had long periods of abstinence since March.
I have, since October 10, been going backwards in my progress. I'm ready to commit and do it right because sobriety is and always will be my everything and most important.
Hi everyone and congratulations on your wonderful hard work and progress and for making the best decision of your life ������
Old 12-11-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you December

D