Notices

Class of December 2016 Support Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Hello guys, am returning after having a horrible breakdown, this forum saved my life last time and am returning again as I thought I had beat my demons but they returned, as always, as I put my faith in untrustworthy people. The most support I felt I got was on here so hello again old and new friends xxx
Old 12-11-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

so I'm here with my head hung low.
over the course of the last year I have been off and on the wagon .
I catch myself justifying my habit with alchohol by telling myself I don't need it and I can go long stretches without picking up a drink .
I'm not a everyday drinker but when I do I just consume too much. I loose control and make very bad decisions that could potentially ruin my way of life.
everybody tells me i worry too much and it is completely normal to just tie one on once in a while.
i get good and lit about once every other month and never wake up without a overwhelming feeling of guilt and regret.
this online community really helps me stay accountable and relived that I'm not alone
I'm going to give it another go and hopefully i can make it stick this time
Old 12-11-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back tatersalad

D
Old 12-11-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Welcome to the newcomers!!! Busy day, had to work. Still alive and well. Day 8 winding down!
Old 12-11-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Morning all. Welcome to all the newcomers and congrats to all on your milestones.

Despite being very tired I've had no sleep. Still feels better than a hangover!

Day off work today. I recently moved so need to empty my old house hopoefully it won't take all day.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:56 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Day 11 over forgot to check in earlier. Welcome to all the new classmates!
Old 12-12-2016, 12:05 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Morning all

Welcome to all the newcomers. Hang on in there through those first few days, and lean on us as much as you like. This really is a fantastic site.

Just woke up on day 8 so im still a bit bleary eyed, but had a decent sleep. Thankfully im off work on annual leave this week (sick last week, but it had to be done). Im planning on looking after myself really. Im also off to the local alcohol 'crisis team' later in the week to see what they can help me with.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Day 8 for me too.

My flu-bug is lifting and with it my spirits. Not sure how much of it was just bad luck and how much was fall-out from my last session. I do know that history is unequivocal in that fact that when I am drinking regularly, I am ill regularly. I have known many other drinkers who have been equally 'unfortunate' that way!

It is dawning on me that I stand a real chance of having the kind of Christmas I have promised myself 'next year' for the last 23 years. That said, if I think further than today, I feel a tension start to kindle inside me.

I feel very fortunate that I have had no cravings and no appetite for drinking up to now. I know I will at some stage but, instead of scouring the horizon for threats all the time, I am going to try and capitalise on my current mindset. Last week, I was just in the business of not drinking. This week, I have some projects to start around creativity, and fitness / wellness.

Don't get me wrong, I am anxious about the holiday season, but I don't want to just inhabit that anxiety when actually my 'here and now' is quite good.

I am not sure if the above makes any sense to the reader but it was helpful for me to write!

Thanks a lot and best wishes to all.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Understood perfectly sameold. 4:45am here getting ready for another work day. The girls (our BOXERS) have had me awake since 3am fidgeting around. I finally took them out at 3:30 to potty. They are still restless because I always give them cookies (dog biscuits) after the potty break while I am making coffee. They were running early today so I tried to go back to sleep. They finally settled back to sleep but I didn't. Ughhhh!
Better get the coffee brewing and get my girls their cookies! Have a good day ALL!
Old 12-12-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Day 1.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me. Still very tired but face is getting less red and the bad pins and needles i had permanently are lessening. So helpful to check in to these boards regularly and read peoples experiences and encouragement. Thanks all. X
Old 12-12-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

If we DON'T drink, we will feel GOOD. If we DO drink, we will feel BAD. Both: GUARANTEED. LETS....NOT...DRINK!!!
Old 12-12-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

I'll second that! Day 9 here and feeling GREAT! The ONLY time I ever went this long without a drink was on a US NAVY Aircraft Carrier in the middle of various Oceans and Seas and that last cruise was 30 years ago! GAWD I AM OLD!!!!!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Wow, I just found this post I did almost exactly 3 years ago. "Had 42 days, relapsed 2 weeks ago and severely hung over today from a blackout drunk yesterday. If I don't stop, there is no question that alcohol is going to kill me. There is no in between anymore, either I abstain or I get black out wasted. It is basically every other day....drink one night, recover the next. I was so horrifically hung over Saturday and then did it again last night! My husband came back home after leaving for work because he forgot something and found me in bed instead of at work....I was so ashamed. I can't believe how quickly my alcoholism is progressing. I'm so scared. I have to stop." 3 years and in same place but much worse off emotionally.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! I'm from the May class this year and I like supporting the newcomers with a little TLC if needed . I've only read the last couple of pages and you all sound very determined and supportive of each other.

x-mas is still 12 days away so it's too early to panic, instead make a plan. Think about the situations that you will be in and the danger zones and most important plan what you will do to avoid the danger all together or how to remove yourself from the danger.

Please remember that SR is open 24h a day including x-mas. SR Halloween was great and I'm looking forward to logging on over x-mas. So I hope I'll see you there to claim your sober x-mas.

Until then take it one minute, one hour or one day at a time.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:36 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Thanks for stopping by Elke

Wrapping up day 8. I've had a pretty nice and relaxing day today. I've spent most of it indulging my nerdy loves and sat reading digital comics most of the day! Now Pizza for tea and going to watch some TV.

I'm enjoying reading Jason Vale's book on stopping drinking so far, its certainly giving me some new insights and opening my mind up a bit. A mind that was very much back into the daily struggle of the alcohol battle.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Day 12. Just really hoping 2017 is my year. Get my dream job (or at least one I'll like) my license back. And move from my parents house... All stuff I had a few years ago.. I'm determined to get that all back. I know I can only do it sober. This Christmas I won't be spending it in bed going through withdrawals from a binge like last year. I'll have 25 days on Christmas (how fitting lol) and over a month to start the new year. Pretty cool. Gotta do it one day at a time to get there,. Have a great evening all!
Old 12-12-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

I'm counting tomorrow as yet another Day One.

CuteNGayYay it's good to see you here! And I'm right there with you wishing for a better 2017. I like to think all the things we want are waiting for us if we stay sober.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

I like Elke516 message regarding having a plan in place for certain situations we could find ourselves in around the holidays.
Does anyone want to share any ideas or tools they have planned out?
Old 12-12-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

What's up friends! Just wanted to stop in, say hi, and send hugs!