Old 10-14-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread FreedomHorse

Hope everyone has a great day - I'm off to bed

D
Old 10-14-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Good morning! Checking in for today. I woke up to frost and the crisp frost air. Fall is hands down my favorite season and I'm rejuvenated by this new fall season and my renewed commitment to my sobriety journey. Stay strong!
Old 10-14-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, today is the first day of the rest of my life, I know it won't be easy, already it's on my mind, and I feel like crying because I know how much I hate it and I don't want to do it no more, it's always day two that pushes me to buy it so I know tomorrow will be even harder then today. I found this site this morning. Is there anyone else who has very recently stopped? How are u feeling?
Old 10-14-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by July84 View Post
Hello everyone, today is the first day of the rest of my life, I know it won't be easy, already it's on my mind, and I feel like crying because I know how much I hate it and I don't want to do it no more, it's always day two that pushes me to buy it so I know tomorrow will be even harder then today. I found this site this morning. Is there anyone else who has very recently stopped? How are u feeling?
Hello July and welcom the the class. You are in the right place. Yes we are all in the october class because we stopped or re stopped in oct. I have one week now. I was at 3 and 1/2 months before i slipped up at the begining of oct. Join the 24h aswell and say hello everyday
Old 10-14-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Well thats a good plan. I miught just do the same only its my wife and daughter

Have a good day classmates
Wow pleased I made a sort of plan. Finished work and the guy driving wanted to go to the pub. A few friends were sat round the bar drinking.
I had a soda and lime and left saying I had to drive to take my wife and son out. Lucky escape if I had let them down and drank it would have been terrible and unfair after I promised them a nice family evening.

I'd like to watch Deepwater Horizon.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Forgiveness

I can't shake the shame and hurt that I feel. I'm in such a deep depression. I spend so much of my time crying and trying not to cry. What can I do?
Old 10-14-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Stay strong. Think of everything that makes u happy! Do u have children? Think of them, mine always make me smile. Today is my first day,. Good luck stay strong
Old 10-14-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Hey Newlight, can you drink water and eat something then try to rest/sleep. I find it helps me feel better when I'm really depressed.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Welcome July84!
Old 10-14-2016, 08:53 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Newlight7 View Post
I can't shake the shame and hurt that I feel. I'm in such a deep depression. I spend so much of my time crying and trying not to cry. What can I do?
Hi Newlight...I was just reflecting on shame last night and posted this in the newcomers forum today...

As I laid in bed unable to fall asleep last night, this started playing in my head…

You’re never too far from a brand new start…you can turn around.

I thought of all of the shame…and wondered what would happen if SHAME was turned around…

S-Sorrow (Remorse)
H-Hopelessness (Humiliation)
A-Anguish (Regret)
M-Misery (Worry)
E-Embarrassment (Guilt)

When turned around…

E-Enthusiasm (Joy)
M-Meaningful (Purposeful)
A-Awakened (Alive)
H-Hopeful (Optimistic)
S-Self-Confidence (Courage)

I'm sure there are lot of other great words that would fit here too!

Also, it's a vicious cycle...depression feeds the desire for alcohol and alcohol feeds the depression...
Old 10-14-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Depression

I know depression and alcohol go hand in hand. I've been self medicating for years. I know I'll overcome this, but it's hard to see past the haze right now.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello folks. Happy sober weekend to all.
Stay strong.
Vinny.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

I know depression and alcohol go hand in hand. I've been self medicating for years. I know I'll overcome this, but it's hard to see past the haze right now.
I like to focus on the good that Im doing by quitting. The past is over, you can only be in the now and change yourself now. Take a minute and write every positive thing that you're doing now to make life better. You take control of the depressed feeling. Also, go on pandora, you tube etc... and type in your favorite comic or song and listen to some stand up or good music, works really well for me. Focusing on something other than the depression always helps me.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Day 12 and today's the first real day I can say I am craving. Friday's were my grab a bottle of wine and relax evenings. I've started telling myself "What could it hurt?" But then I look back at my writings from the past couple weeks and remember why I'm quitting for good.
This is almost exactly what I was going to post. Tough to resist, but resist I did. 12 days done.

For me weekends are hardest, that means I have to work harder. Plan is to dust off my bike on Sunday morning. I hope I can go, need to get past tomorrow.

Stay strong, stay sober everyone
G
Old 10-14-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Day 12 and today's the first real day I can say I am craving. Friday's were my grab a bottle of wine and relax evenings. I've started telling myself "What could it hurt?" But then I look back at my writings from the past couple weeks and remember why I'm quitting for good.
What could you do instead of buying a bottle of wine? Someone mentioned in the Making a Plan thread that he/she bought a boatload of different teas to choose from as a "special" drink instead of alcohol. And I imagine that person woke up the next day feeling a heck of lot better mentally and physically for it.

Can you make a great dinner or treat yourself to pizza or some other favorite meal to make the night special without drinking? Go see a movie? Bookstore or read a good book?

As for feelings of shame, oh boy I have a LOT of past transgressions to be ashamed of. But as I go forward, I'm planning to push them to the background and keep them there by doing more things I'm proud of. More fun and enjoyable sober things. And that shameful stuff is going to get farther and farther away in my rearview mirror.

I hope you feel better soon. We Sober Octobers are here for you!
Old 10-14-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi newlight - a lot of us do suffer depression - sometimes it's simply the removal of alcohol and the emotional rollercoaster that induces for a while...and sometimes the alcohol turns out to be masking a pre-existing condition.

Have you considered seeing someone about it?

D
Old 10-14-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend guys - just a reminder that the weekender thread is there for extra support if needed

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2016-a-3.html

D
Old 10-14-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

I've battled depression for as long as I can remember. I went to the doctors a couple days ago to start getting help. It's coming in waves. I feel ok then I'll feel horrible, back and forth all day long for 2 weeks now. But hopefully I'll get some help soon. I plan on seeing a psychiatrist. Thank you everyone for all your support. I constantly check this thread. I'm glad I'm not going through this alone.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is always support here newlight
I hope you'll get some help soon too

D
Old 10-14-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Hi Newlight7, have you found anything in your past that has helped to lesson the depression? Like exercise, a hobby? Something to help fill the void of time left without drinking in the meantime while you wait to get in to see the doctor?

Checking in again...Friday night in my time zone and a house full of four 10 year old girls. I plan to spend the time enjoying their laughter and all the innocence I will hear in them having authentic fun.

I was young like that once and wasn't needing alcohol...I don't "need" it now either!