Notices

Class of October 2016 Support Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is having a nice sober day!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone, Day 5 here. Hope everyone is having a good day. On west coast time now.

So I went to an AA meeting last night with 2 friends from high school that I haven't seen in 14 years. We reconnected via FB a couple years ago. When I was struggling earlier this month and hitting a major depressive bottom I noticed one of them mentioned "Home Group" in a post. Having done a 2 week stint at AA in the past and reading on here I knew the term. I reached out to my friend and we agreed to meet up. 4 hours of talking with them was straight therapy and the meeting they took me to was icing on the cake.

I went to what I feel like a meeting should be like. It just felt good, positive, provided hope and left me content. I shared for the first time. I've been to roughly 20 meetings and never share.

It really helped sink in something I've read when considering AA. "Go to a lot of different meetings." It really is true. If that meeting was in my hometown, I would be thrilled. It was a lot of people in my age profile, varied race, gender, etc.. It was really eye opening. It was also a speaker meeting which are my personal favorite. If you haven't gone to one, try it. It's a chance to hear someone tell their story for 20-30 minutes with about 15 minutes of comments/reflection after.

I'm a newbie but if I could offer any advice to someone that has tried AA and it didn't stick or the people mix wasn't to your liking. Try a different meeting. We have nothing to lose. I find most meetings therapeutic. When I get home I intend to try a handful of them immediately.

May everyone have a positive day and work through the bumps in the road we might cross.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Nervous

Waiting nervously in my lawyer's office for our first meeting since DUI
Old 10-13-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Hope it's not too bad Hewson, thoughts are with you!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Thoughts are with you Hewson. Stay positive.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hewson33 View Post
Waiting nervously in my lawyer's office for our first meeting since DUI
Hewson- think u and I may be in similar boats. I just had one Monday night and met with my counsel yesterday. It went fairly well, I thought. Remember he/she isn't there to judge u so just be honest. Jump thru the hoops and be cooperative. We aren't bad people, we just made a bad decision. So now we pay the piper and move on. One other thing I'm doing is going to start hitting aa meetings even before any further word from the court so I have a record (get your paperwork signed at each mtg) to show that I do know it was a bad decision, I'm taking this seriously, and that I'm cooperating as best I know how. We're all with you in spirit, friend!! Group hug!
Old 10-13-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mandosca View Post
I love to read, unfortunately when drinking I never made time for it, (probably wouldn't of understood much of the book buzzed anyways)But know that I'm not passing out buzzed I'm trying to get back to reading before bed. I've got about 20 books waiting for me! :-)
There are lots of things I can do when not drinking, I was going to list a few, but for me when drinking I existed. When not drinking I can live.

Day 11 and another challenging day. Court went ok and I am proud to say a sober day.

A short message tonight as I am totally worn out, stay safe and stay sober everyone. More sobriety tomorrow to look forward to hopefully.
G
Old 10-13-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Today was day 8 and the first day of real cravings on the way home from work. I'm thinking counting days might not be useful long term, but it was useful today to think - No, I'm nearly in double figures, let's move on.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Hi, October class! I'm committing to this journey again. I'm going to augment my plan this time with more accountability and additional tools.

I've actually read back and caught up on this thread and am ready to look forward.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 10-13-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Weekend creeping up

Day 12 and today's the first real day I can say I am craving. Friday's were my grab a bottle of wine and relax evenings. I've started telling myself "What could it hurt?" But then I look back at my writings from the past couple weeks and remember why I'm quitting for good.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CountryGal123 View Post
ChickenLady - why do you need to wait six months before you can move on? Especially if it's making you so unhappy?
I have to do what's best for the family, and align with everything going on in our lives right now. It's all about dollar bills. Lol. I feel tons better already, polishing my resume. I talked to the hubs, and by that time a pay cut, which I will have to take, will be doable for my family at that point.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Welcome freedomhorse!
Newlight, you definitely don't need it! 12 days is so great! I did the same last time, and it hurt a lot for a couple of months. Starting again is no fun. Stay solid and sober. You've got this.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome freedomhorse.
Stay strong newlight.
odaat torcoffee.
See you tomorrow G.
Take care CL.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Decisions

Met with lawyer...I need to find out exactly how much I had to drink so we will know if it might be aggravated charge. Then I have to make some tough decisions
Old 10-13-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Day 10 coming to a close. A little more productive each day. Yesterday was hard and was a typical day Inwouldve had a bender. It felt good this morning to awake with a clear head and to be productive before noon.

Keep up the progress everyone!
Old 10-13-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Mr

Welll done lofty.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Good morning October Class. Welcome new comers.
Day 9 today, Friday has always been a drinking day after work which normally lead to a weekend do blackouts. Already making plans to take my wife and son to the cinema after work and fill my weekend with nice things to do.

Have a great Friday and stay strong.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:17 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  
Mr

Originally Posted by Jimuk View Post
Good morning October Class. Welcome new comers.
Day 9 today, Friday has always been a drinking day after work which normally lead to a weekend do blackouts. Already making plans to take my wife and son to the cinema after work and fill my weekend with nice things to do.

Have a great Friday and stay strong.
Well thats a good plan. I miught just do the same only its my wife and daughter

Have a good day classmates
Old 10-14-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

We can do this classmates, today is another day to prove WE CAN DO THIS!