Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 09-15-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
Elle, let's not forget that FB is a highlight reel. It's not real life and doing this comparing thing is terrible for your soul!! In fact, part of my recovery plan is getting off of facebook. They are actually finding it causes depression because people make these comparisons and feel inadequate. You are YOU Elle, there is no other Elle out there and that is a beautiful thing. Try to put your ex in your past and move on with your life. You have no idea what the future holds for you and expending all this negative energy on him could be better spent working on your recovery. Try this, try to stay off facebook for 24 hours. Do something nice for yourself, get a pedicure, or take a hot bubble bath. Go for a walk. Look for the beauty all around you its everywhere. After the break from FB, reflect on how you feel. I bet you will find you feel so much better without all that negativity.

Aint nobody got time for that!!

And stay here with us so we can build you up. You deserve it
Elle. I have to agree going on FB is probably a bad idea. Just a suggestion ...... make SR your new FB??
Old 09-15-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Hi Oona, yeah I'm one of those dirty relapsers. But I'm fixing that-just trying to keep on checking in here. I've just had a huge cry. I feel like everything is so difficult. I am rubbish at self care. I just seem to slip into days of not washing or eating and it causes major prelapse for me. My plan this evening though is to try and start with a hot bath, a little food and a big sleep, ready for whatever day 3 brings. I feel so down today, everything has unraveled so quickly because of this last relapse. I'm really at the point of losing it all. I have nowhere else to turn except for you lovely folk on here. Sorry if I'm being super selfish and making it all about me, but I'm finding it hard to get perspective
Hey girl...if you were diabetic and relapsed on a couple of cakes, you wouldn't be calling yourself names! This is just as much an illness (has 'ic' on the end so it must be) Anyhow, you're back and that's the main thing
Xx
Old 09-15-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
fgo

Evening everyone,
Got a story that kinda relates to what we are going through.. I posted that my son fractured his ankle playing soccer yesterday, well we took him to the hospital today to figure out all the details. A little history first. My son is a senior in high school this year. His freshman year he played basketball and made it through the season. His sophomore year he played basketball and broke his hip at the beginning of the season, spent almost 3 months on crutches. His junior year he played basketball and broke his left ankle at the beginning of the season, spent almost three months in a cast and on crutches. This year he decided he wanted to play soccer instead of basketball. four games into the season he fractured his ankle in practice yesterday. Today at the hospital he was told he had a complete break of his fibula. of course that isn't great news, but the news that he didn't have to have a solid cast or crutches was. I couldn't believe how happy he was. Even the Dr. Remarked that she had never seen someone so happy after being told they had a broken ankle. Of course he wasn't happy about having broken ankle, but he was so happy and relieved that he didn't have to spend three months on crutches again. He actually got everyone smiling in the Drs office. Even the receptionist asked iwhat happened, because he wasn't smiling when he came in. He smiled and said, No crutches. ( he is in a boot for at least 2 months).
Sorry to ramble, reminded me there is something good in any situation if we choose to see it. Night all.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Think I've caught up with everything - still very early here
I agree, pop Facebook into the delete folder where it belongs! We only get to see the good bits on there. Block and delete him love- he's not worth it x
Friday again and feeling fine about it. Wouldn't have imagined that before SR! The weekend thread, is a fantastic bonus
Off for my second 'wake up' coffee - two coffees and the cat comes out of hiding - I'm not worth miaowing at, before then
Shields UP! Speak soon x x
Old 09-15-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
fgo

Forgot to add, I'm starting to like the sober me.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
fgo

One more thing.. One of my favorites
Don't compare your inside to someone else's outside.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hi FGO Looks like we were typing at the same time, wasn't ignoring your post x
Your son sounds like a star! He can go around telling everyone he has a Sports Injury - I used to do that even with pulled muslces lol
Hugs to him x
Old 09-15-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good morning guys, it's 6 in the morning and I've been awake for two hours. The fear has really really kicked in. I'm going to my parents house for the weekend. No drink there and they are fully aware of my problem drinking. Just have to get through today. I had some food last night but never managed the shower. Going to do that now. Had some food. So so tired. I can't keep up this mental beating myself up
Old 09-15-2016, 10:37 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whatever it takes sadsadgirl

D
Old 09-16-2016, 03:01 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Ok guys 11am uk time not looked at FB today. Still alive! X
Old 09-16-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you Elle

D
Old 09-16-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. Midday now still not succumbed!😀
Old 09-16-2016, 04:15 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elle126 View Post
Ok guys 11am uk time not looked at FB today. Still alive! X
Awesomesauce Elle!!
Old 09-16-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post

Two aspects I'll share (granted, that work for me):
* Most important - Complete Commitment to Abstinence.
* No Participation What-So-Ever with My AV.

With the 1st, the 2nd comes quite easily!

Happy Sobriety Gang....piece-out!
I love this Neverthought! So simple yet effective!
Old 09-16-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a terrific sober weekend guys

D
Old 09-16-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Gooooood Morninnnnnn Augustablessssssssss!!
( Said like Goood Morning Vietnam! remember that movie with Robin Williams ( Rest in Paradise you beautiful soul!!)

Hoping this post finds you all having wonderful SOBER mornings, days, nights, whereever you are in this world!

Well, its Friday, used to be the day I gave myself 'permission' to drink myself into a stupor and check out from all responsibility to myself, others and the world around me! I mean not that Friday was different then any other day when I did that but you know, its Friday and just more 'acceptable' on this day!
Thinking back on those Friday night gigs, I can have a tendency to think of the fun we had, the laughs, the music, how all of the stresses seemed to just melt away. If I entertain that thought for too long, I can feel a deep sense of longing, like a long lost lover that I want to come and wrap his arms around me. When this happens I have to almost slap my own face SNAP OUT OF IT! Come back to earth and allow the 'reality' to settle back into my memory. I have to go back and read my Step 1- the unmanageability, the situation, how my illness TRULY manifested itself.
Theres no denying that drinking had its 'fun' moments, that I have some good memories of times UTI. However I have to be very very careful ( said like Elmer Fudd) about glorifying or romanticizing my relationship with alcohol.
To not stay grounded and in reality will surely lead to a relapse for me.

Today I am not stopping or giving up anything. Today I am CHOOSING ( thanks ultramarathoner ) to not partake in or entertain my relationship with alcohol.

I am so hopeful that everyone who visits this place will have a wonderful weekend!
Old 09-16-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

wish I could respond to everyone but have to leave for work - fgo and ooona - love the posts - IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY!
Old 09-16-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

so proud of you, elle!

quincy - still waiting to hear about your hobbies!
Old 09-16-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Thank you guys, quick check in still not peeked!! Catch u later. X
Old 09-16-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Beware, y’all. This is gonna be one of those long ones. It’s Friday and I will be busy and away from my computer all weekend so I wanna check in with each one of you. As said before, you all are my PEEPS—my team—my rock stars… So from the beginning of part 5:

Treebeard—So glad you are posting your progress and that you find it helps. Feel free to post struggles too! That’s what we’re here for…

Julia—Love the pharmacist shirt quote. Sometimes I think I need my stupid medicated… My porch swing is the bomb. It’s not actually on a porch though. It is hanging from a frame on my patio right by the fire pit. Been too hot for fires but when it cools off, that is my super happy place. The old swing was falling apart (living in a rental) and for my birthday this year my bf surprised me with a new one. He is so sweet. I am jealous of your vacuuming. I need to clean under my couch cushions but I’m too busy drinking coffee on the screened-in porch and posting here! Hope you have a good day at work!

Ardy—Glad you stopped by! Judging by your join date I’m guessing you posted with us by mistake, but all are welcome with this A-team!

Finallygotout—“Don’t compare your insides to someone else’s outsides…” Awesome quote! One of my favorites. I can completely relate to being able to be there for your kids when you’re sober. I was only about a week sober when I took my daughter to her college to register and work on financial aid stuff. Couldn’t help but think about how when I was drinking I would have had to bring a water bottle with vodka in it or a cooler of beer with me and would’ve been cranky and unwilling to wait for anything so I could get home and keep drinking. So grateful I don’t have to do that today… And a belated congrats on one month!!

StartingOverNW—Sorry your friend smoking pot ended up being a trigger for you. When I got sober back in 2004 (didn’t drink for almost 8 years), pot was my first step towards relapsing. I successfully “just smoked pot” for about 4 years but it eventually led me to drinking again. Scary stuff. Glad you are making it back though! Stick with us!!

Zanna—Drinking dreams are so scary. I had one very early on that was so stinkin’ real. I woke up in a complete panic. Thankfully haven’t had any more that I remember. I also appreciate your diabetic-alcoholIC analogy. It is definitely helpful to remember that this is a disease—and illness—and it can be treated by not ingesting alcohol! Good reminder…

Bexxed—Thanks for asking about my plans for the weekend. I’m going to hang out with my sister and her family. It will be good to get away. Big college football game tomorrow night. Watching at one of her friend’s place. Should be a good time. UGA vs MIZZOU. My sis is an alum from UGA and I’m an alum from MIZZOU. Fun competition. Hope MIZZOU will show up for this one! Oh—and the moon was even better last night. Think it is going to be full tonight!

MidnightRider—Where you been? I enjoy reading your posts. How many weeks is it now? 7?

SSG—I feel for you, sweetie. Fear, anxiety, insomnia—they are all normal at this point in sobriety. Maybe it would help if you practice replacing the negative thoughts with positive ones. Each time your brain goes to the negative, think of something you are proud of or something you are grateful for. It is hard to do at first, but gets easier with time…

Neverthought—I appreciated your post about complete commitment to abstinence, but I have a hard time with that because of my one day at a time approach. I am completely committed to abstinence today, for sure, and tomorrow morning I will make that commitment again. I see your point about that total commitment alleviating the need to argue with my AV… Mine still tells me I could maybe drink again sometime in the future and that isn’t healthy. If I can drink sometime in the future, what’s to stop me from picking up today? I still feel like thinking of never drinking again is too overwhelming, but maybe I need to re-evaluate that. Thanks for making me think!!!

CountryGal—Good for you telling on your AV! Take away that b***hes power!!

Quincy—I’m still working on trying to get back into old hobbies. Maybe if I didn’t periodically take three hours to write a post on SR I would have more time? Lol…

Caramel—Where you been? It’s good to see you. Let us know how YOU are doing!!

Elle—“I cannot change the past but I can make the future better.” Truer words were never spoken! Way to go on staying away from FB!!!

Jodc—Sorry you are struggling. Definitely try to make it to the meeting. Women’s groups are awesome… Glad you are here!

Ooona—I missed responding to you in my post yesterday. I always appreciate what you say! Totally relate to not caring if I lived or died. I was so there. And I, too, know I am “one sip away from falling over into the abyss…” We all are, really. I also fall into the trap of romanticizing drinking—especially on the weekends. Staying close to SR really helps, if I can remind myself to do so!

Cwood—Day 34 yesterday means 5 weeks today! Way to go!!!

Ultramarathoner—Glad you came by! Thanks for the words of encouragement. As newbies, our A-team can use all the support we can get. Stop by any time!

Findec—27 days today? Woot woot!

Kgirl—Love the reminder that FB is nothing but a highlight reel. I can also get caught in the trap of thinking everyone else’s life is better than mine. Ain’t nobody got time for that, fo sho!!!

Sweetichick—Day 4 is awesome. So glad you made it back. Sorry you are hurting about your ex. Keep close to us!!!

Dee—Thanks as always for being our fearless leader! We all appreciate you!

And finally…MrPL!!!!!—You should be about done with your holiday!!!! Hope you will be back soon! Can’t wait to hear all about it….

Took too long writing all this and now I’m gonna be rushing around like a crazy person trying to get ready to go out of town. But y’all are worth it! Love and hugs, peeps…. Keep on keepin on!!!

Eli