Notices

Class of July 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 07-05-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Well day 4 is officially over! Hallelujah. I have been home sick with tonsillitis, cold, and ear infection. Had a battle with my mind over the thoughts of my embarrassing moments that occurred in the last week of my drinking, especially that last night. It was a struggle. Usually I would have a drink to push them away, but I prayed, wrote in my journal, and found little tasks to keep me busy all day. Got all of my laundry done, room and car spotless (again!), & prepacked for our trip we are taking this weekend. I was exhausted, but it seems insomnia has kicked in. Lovely, especially considering I have class in the morning. Lol. Hope everyone had a blessed and wonderful day! We made it another one you guys!
Old 07-05-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Mr

Back for another july day.
10th day for me

Have a good one
Old 07-06-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Morning all - slept better last night got up at 5:40 and took the dog out, finally starting to feel a bit better. Trying to stick to 10pm bedtime to get myself used to sleeping unaided !!!

Not sure how today will go pretty determined but soon the voices will start 'you have got this now, treat yourself to just one glass tonight' but I pledge if I feel like taking that first drink I will come on here and yell at the top of my voice for help !!!

Support from people going through the exact same process is priceless and should not be underestimated and here is where I have fallen down previously.

So, good luck to everyone for another successful day xxx
Old 07-06-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

We just need to remember that the thing with alcohol is that one drink makes you want more, and so just one drink is non existent we have to say do I really want to drink till I am blotto and feel bad, and not I can have one drink and feel good!
Old 07-06-2016, 12:37 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joy63 View Post
We just need to remember that the thing with alcohol is that one drink makes you want more, and so just one drink is non existent we have to say do I really want to drink till I am blotto and feel bad, and not I can have one drink and feel good!
Exactly going to try and focus on how I will feel if I cave in again, thank you ! X
Old 07-06-2016, 01:21 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Hi All , Day 3. Still didn't sleep well and still unmotivated. but happy to be sober, and kinda comforting to know I'm not doing this alone and a lot of you are having similar experiences. Addiction was being tricksy last night, I have a close friends birthday coming up soon and agreed to do something for it and it convinced me that I had to drink otherwise I would be letting him down! I was tired and nodding off, but it almost had me for a moment. this is why I need to start work on my plan, as I may well be in a more vulnerable position next time.

I also have a wedding coming up and my friend specifically asked me a few weeks ago if i wanted juice or wine at the reception (no points for guessing my answer lol) so that's been scrabbling around in the beasty brain a bit.

Hope you all have a grand day.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:32 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Hi All , Day 3. Still didn't sleep well and still unmotivated. but happy to be sober, and kinda comforting to know I'm not doing this alone and a lot of you are having similar experiences. Addiction was being tricksy last night, I have a close friends birthday coming up soon and agreed to do something for it and it convinced me that I had to drink otherwise I would be letting him down! I was tired and nodding off, but it almost had me for a moment. this is why I need to start work on my plan, as I may well be in a more vulnerable position next time. I also have a wedding coming up and my friend specifically asked me a few weeks ago if i wanted juice or wine at the reception (no points for guessing my answer lol) so that's been scrabbling around in the beasty brain a bit. Hope you all have a grand day.
Morning - hoping you feel better soon !!! And yes, get the plan going, I downloaded a checklist on my phone and just write stuff in there ... That has been helping me so far, here's to a great day !
Old 07-06-2016, 01:53 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Mr

Soon we will all wake up and realise it was all just "a bad dream" like Tom : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbLoYVnh4sY
Old 07-06-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Happy Wednesday everyone. Day 2 over here and so grateful to be waking up with a clear head again. Wishing you all a wonderful sober day!!
Old 07-06-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Happy Wednesday everyone. Day 2 over here and so grateful to be waking up with a clear head again. Wishing you all a wonderful sober day!!
Congratulations on Day 2!! That's great!!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

On to day 3! After work was a little hard yesterday... those voices saying "just a small glass of wine". I was determined not to be defeated on day 2 though. I love walking up clear headed.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

So I hit my first obstacle I knew it was coming tonight I soooooo want a drink, I have taken a shower cleaned the house done my hair, gone through my list and yep .... Still want a drink !!!! Anyone who can give me some help would be hugely grateful .... Arrghhhhhh
Old 07-06-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

don't give up

Originally Posted by janeeb View Post
So I hit my first obstacle I knew it was coming tonight I soooooo want a drink, I have taken a shower cleaned the house done my hair, gone through my list and yep .... Still want a drink !!!! Anyone who can give me some help would be hugely grateful .... Arrghhhhhh
The craving will pass. It feels like forever but if you actually time it, you may be surprised how quickly it passes. It's like pain in general; one of the best pieces of advice I know: pain is temporary but if you give up, the pain will keep going. You've already come too far to quit now. You can do this. Distract yourself. Rest. Post here. Read posts. Simplify your life down to one goal for now: Don't drink. As someone just advised me on another thread- just tell yourself over and over again: I don't drink anymore, No Matter What.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

janeeb -- I agree with everything effortjoy said....

I would also add -- Play the tape. Play through what would happen if you did drink. Not the "fun, relaxing" part that we all romanticize it to be, but the nasty, messy, ugly part that comes once we cross that line. Play the tape through to how awful you will feel tomorrow morning with a hangover and mentally and emotionally hating yourself. Play the tape through to how awful withdrawals are and how you never want to go through them again. Play that tape until the urge passes... because it will.

Hang in there! Keep reading and posting on here. It really is a godsend.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Exactly what effortjoy said. Just don't pick up that first drink. Take a walk, watch a movie, read a book, practice cartwheels...anything that will keep you from it. You've got this, and remember all the reasons you're choosing to do this in the first place.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Thank you both !!!!!! Passed now, I have a tea and some chocolate but I figure anything is OK atm, I really appreciate the advice you have taken time out to write back xx
Old 07-06-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

This is wonderful Casey, thank you.

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Just another quick drop-in from the class of March 2016. (And many other classes. This is not my first rodeo by far.) Day 115 sober for me. In a row!

Great to see this class coming together. Being active in my own class here has been a cornerstone of my recovery so far. Here's what's worked for me this time:

1. Ask for help as soon as you need it. Don't wait. Get those thoughts out of your head and out into the open as soon as they start entering your head. Seriously, if you're getting thoughts of drinking 20 times a day, post in here 21 times. Or a 100.

2. Help others as much as possible. Get out of your own head. There's an amazing amount of power in the simple act of one addict helping another. If you see someone struggling, speak up, even if it's just to say "hello" or "I'm listening." You'll be helping them and yourself.

3. Always remember that it's the first drink that is the problem for us. As long as you don't take that first one, you don't have to worry about the second or third or sixth or tenth one. You really don't have to take that first drink no matter what thoughts/lies/rationalizations your addiction is throwing at you.

Wishing everyone here a safe and sober Tuesday (or Wednesday for any Aussies)! Congratulations on choosing a better way of life. I'll continue to cheer you all on as we walk side by side on this road of recovery.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I am on Day One again . I caved yesterday after not sleeping well and being woken up by an obnoxious person outside my apartment which happens all too regularly. I was in a terrible mood all day and felt very odd.
I cannot wait to get out of here.
I have an appointment for a chemical dependency assessment next week to hopefully get a referral to a treatment center. I wish the appt were today and I could walk in to a good treatment facility tomorrow and stay there for a long time. I might not be saying that a few days from now ('Ah, I don't need help') which is my downfall.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberella66 View Post
Unfortunately I am on Day One again . I caved yesterday after not sleeping well and being woken up by an obnoxious person outside my apartment which happens all too regularly. I was in a terrible mood all day and felt very odd. I cannot wait to get out of here. I have an appointment for a chemical dependency assessment next week to hopefully get a referral to a treatment center. I wish the appt were today and I could walk in to a good treatment facility tomorrow and stay there for a long time. I might not be saying that a few days from now ('Ah, I don't need help') which is my downfall.
Stay positive, at least you have admitted you need help that is a massive move towards the future!!! The previous times I would have disappeared and opened that bottle but this time I pledged that I would ask for help on here, where else do we have such a collection of knowledge and insight into addiction. Hope you have a plan for the next 24 hours, we can do it ! Good luck and thanks for the fab advice X
Old 07-06-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Thanks Janeeb.
I am probably going to sleep as much as possible for the next 24 hrs.

Originally Posted by janeeb View Post
Stay positive, at least you have admitted you need help that is a massive move towards the future!!! The previous times I would have disappeared and opened that bottle but this time I pledged that I would ask for help on here, where else do we have such a collection of knowledge and insight into addiction. Hope you have a plan for the next 24 hours, we can do it ! Good luck and thanks for the fab advice X