Notices

Class of July 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 07-08-2016, 03:21 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsLamp View Post
Stopped drinking 7.7.16 and 100% committed. Had enough, no drink no matter what. Hello everyone, all the best.
Welcome, I have the same start date and I'm already feeling better!
Old 07-08-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Hi Healthygoals, onwards and upwards! In this together.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome MrsLamp
D
Old 07-08-2016, 03:42 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chickenlady06 View Post
I've been thinking, it is so hard to live in the shadow of our drunk pasts, so I try not to. It is so hard to let go, to think of all the horrible things that could have happened, that did happen. Part of recovery is looking at today, and making each day as a new opportunity to be there for ourselves, and in my case, my family. I'm choosing to spend real time with them, talking with them, reading, playing all the things I was always too "busy" to do when I was drinking. Move forward, love yourself enough to stay sober everyday.
This is a great attitude- thank you for the reminder. It's amazing how lazy and unmotivated drinking can make us. There were Saturdays when I would turn the tv on for the boys so I could just drink my wine in peace and not have to "deal with them." That alone is reason enough to hate alcohol. It robs us of our compassion.

Hope you have a great day
Old 07-08-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Karen- it is never easy to hear something like that about ourselves! It sounds like you handled it really well and when you are ready, maybe they can go back into your God Box. They say that we should love our enemies but man it can be so hard! Still, I know that it is the best option even with difficult people.

Wishing you a better day today- it can only go up from here.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
I'm back here again on day 3. Has anyone found themselves hit with feelings of depression and thoughts of 'I can't do this'? I'm still in bad shape physically and not up to doing much.
I have battled depression for a lifetime so I'm not sure I can relate it to getting sober but I certainly have days where I feel like I can't do this. Then I remember that I was sober for four months and for the most part it was not hard so believe me- you CAN DO THIS!!

What is the biggest challenge for you right now? How is your diet and sleep? Have you ever taken supplements and have you suffered from depression before? I have taken prescription meds and natural supplements and right now am following advice from a book called The Mood Cure. Maybe you could google it?

I think it's totally natural to feel this way as we detox and attempt to change our lives around 100%. What you are doing is huge! Try to be kind wth yourself and with the process. Hope the support here can help you.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Stopped drinking 7.7.16 and 100% committed. Had enough, no drink no matter what. Hello everyone, all the best.
Welcome ! Me too here's to success!!
Old 07-08-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Hi Healthygoals, onwards and upwards! In this together.
Love your attitude Lamp! We are in this together indeed
Old 07-08-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Morning of Day 5 here. Feeling pretty good. Hopefully the cravings won't come, but I'll be here first if they do.
That's the way to do it Easyrider! I can't tell you how many times I came to SR (during my first attempt at sobriety) when I was having cravings or even really close to drinking and was saved by the support here. We are here to help each other! And if no one is on the thread you can always create one on the main forum- someone is always there to help.

Have a great Day 5!
Old 07-08-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eliasson View Post
I drank. I don't even know why I try. I start to make friends here or in the meetings and I let everyone down I'm not trying to make excuses, but my husband was so awful to me. Anything I've confused in him about regarding my struggles he threw in my face (drunkenly) and made fun of me. I have no self esteem. Please don't tell me to leave I have no way to leave. Min my dreams I'm independent and confident, sober, free, and loved. But I'm not strong enough to work for those dreams. I hurt so much.
I'm so sorry you are in so much pain. Do you have any support outside of your home- friends or family nearby? Why do you feel like you can't leave him? Have you two tries counseling? DH and I have a pretty rocky marriage but I am working on scheduling us some help (waiting for a call back from a marriage counselor.)

What about individual counseling? It sounds like that would help lift you up, especially when no one is doing that for you at home.

Please stick around SR- we are here for you and the troubles at home don't have to be a reason to drink. Believe me, I can relate- I actually broke four months of sobriety on my five year wedding anniversary because DH and I weren't even talking. I though drinking would make it better and it helped for that evening but then made everything a mess again since one day turns into a lifetime of binge drinking for me.

When was the last time you were happy? Can you remember a time? How was your life different?

I will be thinking of you today and sending you lots of positive thoughts.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Hey, first you need to stop thinking like you are letting everyone down...that is your alcoholism talking and it just wants you to be isolated from support. I don't see anyone here turning their backs on you, and I certainly won't. Secondly, my hubby drinks too, and I'm just learning strategies on how to deal with that. What I'm sure of...is his drinking can't make me drink. Keep in the loop. There's a lot of us who are rooting for you... ❤️
Jen- I love this attitude. I spent many months convinced that I couldn't get sober if DH was still drinking. Now I realize his drinking had nothing to do with me. Sure it would be nice if he was supportive (he was very active in my relapses) but there is nothing I can do to change that.

How exactly is the dynamic between you and your husband and is he a big drinker? Does he support your sobriety? I am always curious to know how other couple manage when one partner is still drinking. Thanks for any input and have a great day
Old 07-08-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by janeeb View Post
I fell off the wagon last night ... What an idiot I am BUT here I am it will not extend to a weekend it will stop here and now so I am recommitted and will do what I did the night before if I have too I will come here first snd tell everyone !!!!! So, apologies friends .... i will try harder as I deserve better and so does my dog, my husband, my friends ..... Day 1 !!!!
Yes!! No reason to take it into the weekend. You can start fresh today! Come here as soon as you have that first craving or when your AV comes out to play. We are here for you and I promise to do the same...
Old 07-08-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Good morning folks- anyone else start their sobriety journey on July 5th?

Today is day 4 and I'm feeling pretty good. I've had some drinking thoughts here and here but they have been easy to resist so far. My little guy (22 months) was the throwing up at 4:45 this morning so it looks like my work day is shot (I can't imagine having to deal with that while hungover.) I work from home on Fridays so am lucky that he can stay home with me but this means I will have to work on Sunday to make up for it. Ugh. It has been one cold after another since he started daycare in April.

My AV tried to tell me "well since you won't be able to work much today, why not get some wine and drink all day?" Ha- no thank you. I prefer this clear head, and since I am on a low carb diet these next few weeks, that helps keep me from throwing it all out the window. I am on a mission to lose weight for my bday on the 26th. Would love to have a few weeks sober for that as well. The hard part is going to be staying sober since I am taking a long weekend and going to a resort with my husband and the kids. But I will make a plan for that when the time is closer.

Anyway- just wanted to chime in and wish you all a great day. Just for today, I will not drink. I am so grateful for this sobriety and for the opportunity to share this journey with all of you.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Or whatever time it is in your place. So day two begins, gosh, Ive been here before so often. But, Im glad to be here, much better then still drinking.

Im wanting this July class to be my final one. Im currently doing some anger management counseling, as that seems to be one of my biggest triggers.

Lets stay sober today. Thats my main plan for today.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:45 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

Starting off day 2 with a clear head after a decent night's sleep. Have already had a healthy breakfast, water and morning vitamins. Chicken in the crock pot to have on hand to add to salads.

Thinking about having friends over for dinner tonight since I'm on vacation and have the time but they're drinkers, oh the times we've had...so I've been rehearsing in my head about declining wine with dinner and feel very confident I can stay sober. The thoughts of one of my last days and nights of vodka are making me nauseous.

To those that relapsed: hugs and great that you're here. Don't ever give up!

Off to do some more reading here and make my day productive instead of lying around drinking and feeling like garbage.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Thanks for your sweet comment Sunflower. It helped a lot!
So sorry Janeeb and Eliasson that you drank again. I know how awful that feels. Please don't beat yourselves up. It takes what it takes, and only by giving up are you failing. Big hugs to you!
Today will be tough for me. I have to work all day with this woman, one of the ones who threw me under the bus yesterday. I am holding God's hand and will be thinking of you guys and trying to manage today in a way I will be proud to tell you about later.
I wish everyone a sober Friday and a sober weekend!
Old 07-08-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good sober day guys

D
Old 07-08-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Ok, so I wanted to share an inspirational saying. I got this off my religious calender, and reworded it a bit .

This sober life we want, requires effort, persistence, sacrifice, and selflessness.

Very true. Have a great day friends.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KarenOskie View Post
Thanks for your sweet comment Sunflower. It helped a lot!
So sorry Janeeb and Eliasson that you drank again. I know how awful that feels. Please don't beat yourselves up. It takes what it takes, and only by giving up are you failing. Big hugs to you!
Today will be tough for me. I have to work all day with this woman, one of the ones who threw me under the bus yesterday. I am holding God's hand and will be thinking of you guys and trying to manage today in a way I will be proud to tell you about later.
I wish everyone a sober Friday and a sober weekend!
You've got this Karen! God is holding your hand too!
Old 07-08-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Today, I will be joining the July class. I Binged this week after 11 days and while I don't feel physically ill, I am so disappointed in myself. Flunked out of the June class

I know I need to put more time in to my recovery. My habits need to change and I must develop new routines. I never go out with friends to drink so it's always a solitary event. There has to be more to this life...