Notices

On My Way #4

Old 07-25-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

We got back last night from a fun filled weekend that went much as I expected. Hot and humid weather kept us either indoors or in the pool for much of our stay and I think because of that the chain smokers cut back a little so it wasn't as bad for me as last time. Not great, but not terrible.

I have a training session this morning, so in about one hour you'll be able to find me at my gym.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

I struggled with my breathing, but managed to get through my workout. There was one point where I started to feel light headed so I took a break for about 30 seconds to recover.

Dinner tonight is going to be grilled split chicken breasts and a salad.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I struggled with my breathing, but managed to get through my workout. There was one point where I started to feel light headed so I took a break for about 30 seconds to recover.

Take care of yourself, GC.

Stay very well hydrated in this beastly weather.

Unfortunately, I was not cleared for swimming.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Take care of yourself, GC.

Stay very well hydrated in this beastly weather.
Thanks SL and that's excellent advise. Fortunately, I've always been good about being adequately hydrated and even more so with the weather we've been having lately. As of now, I'm somewhere between 2 and 3 quarts of water for the day so a gallon is in reach.

Unfortunately, I was not cleared for swimming.
I'm sorry to read that SL.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Wow; you are good; I am on 2 quarts.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Wow; you are good; I am on 2 quarts.
For 3 in the afternoon that's just fine. I made a point of drinking more than usual this morning before going to the gym.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

My daughter has progressed to the point where she can eat chicken, but salad is still out of the question so we'll be having twice backed potatoes instead.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

I'm hydrating just finely, but not to the extent of yesterday. My exercise for the day has been walking and there will be some stretching in my future.

This afternoon I'm going with my daughter for a follow up with the surgeon and I'm confident that we'll hear that things are healing properly. How the patient is feeling and what we're told by the doctor will determine what dinner will be.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

The follow up with the surgeon went well, as expected, and my daughter doesn't have to see her for a month.

I was at the gym this morning for a self directed workout; low rep high weight stuff just to switch things around.

Dinner tonight is going to be either the marinated flank steak I did not cook last night or pork chops in a paprika cream sauce. The side dish will be determined by the entrée.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

So glad that your daughter's follow-up went well, GC.

Dinner, as always, sounds delish - whichever you choose.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

So glad that your daughter's follow-up went well, GC.

Dinner, as always, sounds delish - whichever you choose.
Thanks about my daughter.

For a couple of reasons we wound up having a rare weeknight restaurant dinner last night. Tonight's dinner will be the pork chops and due to family schedules I froze the flank steak. A shame, but it won't be cooked until Sunday at the earliest as it was a fresh USDA prime piece of beef I didn't want it sitting in the refrigerator marinating for that long. File under better safe than sorry.

Today

The day started with an absolute lousy run. Discouraging, but it also means there's plenty of room for improvement. Ironically, I sent a message to friend today wishing him a happy birthday and his response was, "Thank you Marathon Man." One of these days I'll be able to once have earned the right to be called that.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Thanks about my daughter.

For a couple of reasons we wound up having a rare weeknight restaurant dinner last night. Tonight's dinner will be the pork chops and due to family schedules I froze the flank steak. A shame, but it won't be cooked until Sunday at the earliest as it was a fresh USDA prime piece of beef I didn't want it sitting in the refrigerator marinating for that long. File under better safe than sorry.

Today

The day started with an absolute lousy run. Discouraging, but it also means there's plenty of room for improvement. Ironically, I sent a message to friend today wishing him a happy birthday and his response was, "Thank you Marathon Man." One of these days I'll be able to once have earned the right to be called that.

Hope that that day comes much sooner than you expect, GC!!!!!
Old 07-28-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Hope that that day comes much sooner than you expect, GC!!!!!
Thanks SL. Realistically, I won't be prepared for a fall race given my current situation so at the earliest I'll be targeting one next spring. I'm particular about races I choose as there are a number of factors I seek, but I've never had an issue finding one and by now I'm familiar with my options. Gosh, just writing about the thought always gets me stoked, but also reminds me of how much is involved in being prepared. And that was before health issues.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you have a good weekend GC - you too Leigh

D
Old 07-28-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee; the same to you!!!!
Old 07-29-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hope you have a good weekend GC - you too Leigh

D
Thanks Dee and I hope you have a fine one also.

My son is coming home for the weekend and if he gets here in time he and I will be going to a minor league baseball game a few miles from our house. He worked at the stadium for five years and he knows a lot of people so there will be an additional element of enjoyment beyond the game for him.

My wife and daughter are running an obstacle race tomorrow AM and are driving to a friend's vacation home near the race tonight. Everybody is home tomorrow, including my daughter's boyfriend, and tomorrow night we'll be going out to dinner to celebrate my son's birthday which is next week. Knowing him I'd bet the house we'll be going for sushi.

Sunday is my little block's block party so I'll be helping to set up for that as well as making lemonade for the crowd.

As always, there will exercise involved; today is going to be a short run and tomorrow is going to be a strength and stamina class at my gym. Sunday is up in the air.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

We had a fun time at the baseball game last night. My beverage of choice while there was water.

Instead of participating in the exercise class I wrote about I went to the gym and did my own thing for about 45 minutes. As I type my wife and daughter are in the midst of their race and I'm looking forward to hearing about the experience.

I have some house stuff to take care of and then I'm not sure what I'll be doing.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

As I pretty much expected my son is spending the afternoon with some of his HS friends who are in the area. With my wife and daughter away for the next six hours it's just me and my dog. Chores/house stuff are done so that leaves dog walks, listening to tunes, and reading. Also as expected, a sushi dinner has been confirmed by the soon to be b'day boy.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Dinner last night was tasty and a lot of fun. Afterward my son went out and me and my wife went home....oh to be 21.

We had our block party today and it was nice meeting some of our new neighbors and saying goodbye to two families that are moving. That's a lot of activity for a small block. Almost 24 years ago when we moved to the block we were the youngsters; not so much anymore.

Dinner tonight is going to be a eye round I roasted over some hickory wood that will be paired with a homemade sun dried and basil tomato pesto and served on a crunchy bread I baked this morning.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:04 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Another Monday, another workout with my trainer. Lots of leg squats, deadlifts, and other fun exercises.

I'm leaning toward making shrimp for dinner; exact preparation method is still undecided.