Notices

On My Way #4

Old 07-11-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Pizza with friends sounds like a nice time out on the town.
It's going to be an enjoyable night. We're very good friends with the other couple and having an affordable tasty dinner, going to a concert at a great venue, and never being more than a few miles from home are some of the things I love about my town.

Going back to a recent theme, once again this "homebody" is going out on a weekday evening.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:57 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

What a difference a day makes. For the most part my breathing has been fine for the past week, but today I feel as if I'm breathing underwater. Not fun, to say the least and I'm going to restrict my exercise to walking.

I'm on my own for dinner tonight because my wife and daughter are getting together with other mother/daughter combos for a girls dinner out. I may go the easy route and eat leftovers.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Dinner tonight is going to be baked beans with leftover pork rib meat incorporated. A little time consuming, but not too much work once everything is assembled and simmering away other than an occasional stir. Since I'm only cooking for one I simplified the baked bean recipe to save some time and effort.

The ladies of the family and the other women are going to a Middle Eastern restaurant.

After dinner my plan is to watch the baseball All-Star game. Yes, I'm turning on my television.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

I'll be leaving for the gym in about 30 minutes.

As I wrote on Monday there will be no cooking tonight because we're going out with friends for dinner at a local gourmet pizza place and then to see a concert.
Old 07-13-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

My breathing is marginally better than yesterday and I was able to have a good workout at a relatively normal (for me) pace.

Yesterday my daughter asked me to make lox and I started the process today. She also asked me to make a certain dish that her boyfriend, who is spending the weekend with us, likes for dinner on Friday. So I will. My son may be bringing 3 or 4 friends from college here so I may be cooking for a small crowd.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Tech

Even an infrequent reader here probably knows that I don't watch a lot of TV, but we do have two. The den one has a box that gives us all sorts of premium channels, but the basement one is more limited. About two weeks ago I got a letter from my provider, Comcast, saying that if I didn't upgrade my outdated downstairs box I was going to be charged $5 more a month. The money is not going to change my life, but the principle was annoying so as of 10 minutes ago I now have a box downstairs capable of giving me a million channels and I'm saving money. I'm more focused on the latter aspect of the change than the former, but regardless more for less is a rare experience.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

At 7 this morning it was already ugly. Hot and humid. My breathing is so-so which means that exercise today is going to once again be limited to walks.

Dinner and the concert last night were a lot of fun and as it turns out we didn't have pizza so I could have made the dough I was thinking about on Monday. Dinner tonight is going to be salmon baked with Dijon mustard and topped with a crunchy bread crumb/butter combo. I'll also be making a side salad. I started making the lox that my daughter asked for and tonight I'll marinate the chicken for the dish that her boyfriend wants for dinner tomorrow night.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

It is horrible here today, too, GC. I'll be doing my pool exercise/walking after dinner tonight.

Hoping to get the okay from my pulmonologist to start swimming soon.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

It is horrible here today, too, GC. I'll be doing my pool exercise/walking after dinner tonight.

Hoping to get the okay from my pulmonologist to start swimming soon.
Not surprising that you're having a similar weather experience; our respective weather is generally similar with yours often being a little warmer.

Wishing you good news from your pulmonologist.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Another wonderful weather day in paradise. We're supposed to top out at 93F/34C with steady humidity. IOW, a perfect day to do anything outdoors.

As I was staying up too late last night waiting for my soon to be lox get ready for its next step it dawned on me that I've slowly been going down the slippery slope of making excuses to not exercise outdoors. I'm tired, it's too hot, it's too cold, etc. That's never been me and last night, knowing that today's weather was once again going to be ugly, I resolved to wake up early enough to pound the pavement for a few miles before the conditions became unreasonable. And I did. And when I was done I knew I had set the tone for a positive day. Just as I will tomorrow when I'm taking a strength/stamina class at my gym.

In food news, a short while ago I started smoking the brined salmon to turn it into lox. Alder wood was my flavor of choice. My plan is to firm it overnight in the refrigerator and slice it tomorrow AM. Dinner tonight is going to be Indonesian Ginger Chicken with a to be determined grain. At the moment the leading contender is couscous.

We have no social plans tonight so it should be a quiet evening with the big event being when my daughter's boyfriend shows up about 9:30.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Another wonderful weather day in paradise. We're supposed to top out at 93F/34C with steady humidity. IOW, a perfect day to do anything outdoors.

As I was staying up too late last night waiting for my soon to be lox get ready for its next step it dawned on me that I've slowly been going down the slippery slope of making excuses to not exercise outdoors. I'm tired, it's too hot, it's too cold, etc. That's never been me and last night, knowing that today's weather was once again going to be ugly, I resolved to wake up early enough to pound the pavement for a few miles before the conditions became unreasonable. And I did. And when I was done I knew I had set the tone for a positive day. Just as I will tomorrow when I'm taking a strength/stamina class at my gym.

In food news, a short while ago I started smoking the brined salmon to turn it into lox. Alder wood was my flavor of choice. My plan is to firm it overnight in the refrigerator and slice it tomorrow AM. Dinner tonight is going to be Indonesian Ginger Chicken with a to be determined grain. At the moment the leading contender is couscous.

We have no social plans tonight so it should be a quiet evening with the big event being when my daughter's boyfriend shows up about 9:30.
Indonesian Ginger Chicken sounds wonderful, GC.

I admire your commitment to exercise. I took a long walk in the pool last evening - fantastic!!!!!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Thanks SL. The chicken dish is a recipe from a cookbook I have by Ina Garten AKA The Barefoot Contessa. It's really an easy recipe to make although it needs some lead time to marinate. I'll get you the recipe if you want.

Exercising has always been a part of my life and for decades I've firmly believed that the benefits were almost as much mental as physical. I'm also staunchly in the camp that believes it doesn't matter what you do, just as long as you do it, because anything is better than being sedentary. For context, I've never suggested anyone run marathons or cycle century rides because that's an entirely different level of commitment time wise, physically, and mentally.

With the weather we've been experiencing of late, being able to be active in a pool is wonderful. As I wrote yesterday, I hope you're soon cleared to swim again.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Not surprising that you're having a similar weather experience; our respective weather is generally similar with yours often being a little warmer.

Wishing you good news from your pulmonologist.
Thanks, GC.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Thanks SL. The chicken dish is a recipe from a cookbook I have by Ina Garten AKA The Barefoot Contessa. It's really an easy recipe to make although it needs some lead time to marinate. I'll get you the recipe if you want.

Exercising has always been a part of my life and for decades I've firmly believed that the benefits were almost as much mental as physical. I'm also staunchly in the camp that believes it doesn't matter what you do, just as long as you do it, because anything is better than being sedentary. For context, I've never suggested anyone run marathons or cycle century rides because that's an entirely different level of commitment time wise, physically, and mentally.

With the weather we've been experiencing of late, being able to be active in a pool is wonderful. As I wrote yesterday, I hope you're soon cleared to swim again.
I'd appreciate the recipe, GC; thanks.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

SL, here you go. To be fair, for the sake of transparency I mentioned earlier that this is not my recipe and also know it's copyrighted material, but since nobody is going to be using it for commercial purposes I feel comfortable sharing it. It's a crowd pleaser and whenever I make it I have someone asking me for the recipe or in the case of my daughter's boyfriend asking me to make it again.

The only changes I make to what follows is that I cook chicken thighs instead of quartered chickens and while the time is generally spot on I use an instant read thermometer to gauge doneness and cook them until the internal temperature at the meatiest part of the thigh is 165F/74C.

1 cup honey
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup minced garlic (8 to 12 cloves)
1/2 cup peeled and grated fresh ginger root
2 (3 1/2 pound) chickens, quartered, with backs removed

Cook the honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger root in a small saucepan over low heat until the honey is melted. Arrange the chicken in one layer in a shallow baking pan, skin side down, and pour on the sauce. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover the pan, turn the chicken skin side up, and raise the temperature to 375 degrees F. Continue baking for 30 minutes or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh and the sauce is a rich, dark brown.
Old 07-15-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

I should also add that I feel comfortable sharing it because I properly named the author. I'm a big believer in intellectual property rights, at least on a basic level since I'm not an attorney and probably wouldn't understand the more intricate nuances of the high level stuff.

Dinner will be plated in 30 minutes and tri color Israeli couscous is the side.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

I had a fine workout this morning, but my breathing is terrible and I'm beat. We have a party to attend this afternoon and I'm not sure how long I'm going to last.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:58 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

I had a fine workout this morning, but my breathing is terrible and I'm beat. We have a party to attend this afternoon and I'm not sure how long I'm going to last.
Hope that your breathing improves soon, GC. It is so frustrating that breathing can be so variable from day to day.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Hope that your breathing improves soon, GC. It is so frustrating that breathing can be so variable from day to day.
The variability is definitely frustrating, as I'm sure you know. Right now my wife, daughter, her boyfriend, and our dog are hanging out on the back deck while I'm inside in an environmentally controlled environment. A short while ago I stepped outside to join the crowd and everyone suggested I go inside. And I don't mean in the joking manner that we are wont to do, but in the serious sense that speaks to the difficult breathing I'm experiencing.

On A Brighter Note

While still not great my breathing is better than this morning. Hopefully the trend continues.

Another positives include me, who is my own worst critic, being quite pleased with the finished lox product. My plan is to keep some refrigerated for near term consumption and freeze the rest.

Dinner tonight is going to be whatever our hosts serve. The hosts are a friend who my daughter used to work with and comes to the house a few times a week before they both go to they gym and her parents. IOW, aside from the people currently inside my house and my daughter's friend me and my wife will not know anybody. We're bringing a pitcher of sangria that my daughter made, a fruit salad that my daughter made, and salsa and chips. Other than paying for most of the aforementioned I had nothing to do with any of the aforementioned.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

It's another poor breathing day, but I still went to the gym for one hour. I'm glad I went and I'm also glad the workout is done.