Notices

On My Way #4

Old 07-03-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I'm glad to read that what you had was delish! At least you weren't wasting calories on mediocrity.

Interesting what you wrote about dessert because I was the opposite when it came to that course of the meal. I avoided all the cakes and pies and just had fresh fruit.
Now that's what I call self-control!!!!

Congrats!!!!!
Old 07-04-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Now that's what I call self-control!!!!

Congrats!!!!!
Thanks.

Yesterday and Today

The pool party went well. Cold water was my beverage of choice and my food choices and portion control were decent. Like the day before I stayed away from dessert with the exception of fresh fruit.

I have a session with my trainer at 11 and then me, my wife, and dog are going to watch our town's 4th of July parade and then will attend a town sponsored picnic for a while. Tonight we're going to watch the town fireworks.

I'm not sure what our dinner plans are, but I do know it's going to be made from what we have in the house because there's no way I'm going to the market today.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Holiday fun at the gym. 3 rounds. Some sets were timed and some were for reps.

The parade was a lot of fun and although we've attended it almost every year I'm always somewhat surprised by how large it is. The one major thing that has changed for us is that because a local event like this and the ensuing picnic with hot dogs, hamburgers, ice cream, bands, pony rides, magicians, etc. tends to attract families with young kids we see fewer and fewer people we know with each passing year. That's not enough to stop us because we still enjoy it and me, my wife, and my dog hung out for a while and enjoyed some ice cream while listening to some music and watching the little kids big smiles on the pony rides.

Dinner hasn't been decided other than we're eating at home before the fireworks and it will involve some of the top round sirloin I bought a few days ago. It's not my favorite cut, but it's versatile enough and the price was so great I couldn't pass it up.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Holiday fun at the gym. 3 rounds. Some sets were timed and some were for reps.

The parade was a lot of fun and although we've attended it almost every year I'm always somewhat surprised by how large it is. The one major thing that has changed for us is that because a local event like this and the ensuing picnic with hot dogs, hamburgers, ice cream, bands, pony rides, magicians, etc. tends to attract families with young kids we see fewer and fewer people we know with each passing year. That's not enough to stop us because we still enjoy it and me, my wife, and my dog hung out for a while and enjoyed some ice cream while listening to some music and watching the little kids big smiles on the pony rides.

Dinner hasn't been decided other than we're eating at home before the fireworks and it will involve some of the top round sirloin I bought a few days ago. It's not my favorite cut, but it's versatile enough and the price was so great I couldn't pass it up.
I used to make Swiss Steak with top or bottom round; I haven't made it lately due to cholesterol issues but as my cholesterol, I may give it another go.

Enjoy the fireworks!!!!!
Old 07-04-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Dinner is going to be beef and broccoli stir fry served over traditional white rice. A truly patriotic 4th of July dinner, right?
Old 07-04-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Dinner is going to be beef and broccoli stir fry served over traditional white rice. A truly patriotic 4th of July dinner, right?
That's the great thing about the USA. We're a melting pot - anything goes!!!!
Old 07-04-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

That's the great thing about the USA. We're a melting pot - anything goes!!!!
As I'm sure you know I wrote that tongue in cheek, but as I was reading the newspaper afterward my mind drifted and I thought of the throw away line as a metaphor for our freedoms, which clearly is a more serious topic: I can make whatever I want and it will be acceptable. That written, make no mistake, that was not my intent when deciding upon what to cook for our dinner; my concerns were much lower on the hierarchy of critical thinking. What do I have in the house that won't take too long to make, is healthy, and what do I feel like eating were at the top. Reality.

Tonight

The fireworks are about 3.5 miles/5.6 kms round trip from our house and we're going to walk it. Some bonus low level exercise on a great weather day.

Yesterday

I know this journal isn't widely read so I probably should post what I'm about to share somewhere else, but I'm going for it here.

At the pool party yesterday there were 8 of us; clearly not a big crowd. We were there for about 8 hours and when the first guest started to say her goodbyes the hostess asked her if she was okay to drive. Understandable given the access to alcohol, the party atmosphere, and hot weather. The person replied, "I've only drank water all day. I'm perfectly fine." Nobody noticed or cared.

In a lot of postings written by people trying to become sober there is a concern about what others will think. Screw them; let them think what they want and although one data point doesn't make a trend the above described exchange reinforces my personal experience that most people who are responsible drinkers or are sober themselves are not paying any attention or even care about what your beverage of choice is unless it's obvious you're reaching the unsafe zone.

To SR, be safe. Especially those who are celebrating or will be going out to celebrate the 4th of July in the States because there are going to plenty of folks who will have made poor choices.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:04 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

I used to make Swiss Steak with top or bottom round; I haven't made it lately due to cholesterol issues but as my cholesterol, I may give it another go.

Enjoy the fireworks!!!!!

That should have been "as my cholesterol levels have gone down naturally".
Old 07-04-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

That should have been "as my cholesterol levels have gone down naturally".
Somehow I missed your original post which is why I didn't respond. That's great news about your cholesterol. The kitchen is calling, but I'll respond in more detail tomorrow.

Enjoy your evening.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

You, too, GC.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Cholesterol Stuff

According to my doctor the good news is that between diet and exercise I am doing everything I should be doing to keep my cholesterol low. The bad news is that the total number is high. The good news is that I have the highest good cholesterol number for a male she has ever seen in over 30 years of practice so my ratio is excellent. Go figure.

The Latest

It started raining just as we were approaching the fireworks area. The powers that be decided to start them early and then had to curtail them due to weather conditions so I'm sure the local newspaper will have numerous letters to the editor about what transpired. Friends of ours who we were supposed to meet drove and texted us asking if we wanted a ride home. "Yes", was our answer.

Exercise for the day is going to be dog walks and possibly a short run. Since I walked to meet a friend for breakfast I already have about 1.5 miles under my belt. Tonight we're going to meet some friends for a picnic and listen to a concert and then watch the fireworks that were postponed last Friday due to rain. I'm pretty sure dinner is going to be sandwiches ordered from a local deli along with some other picnic type stuff.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

My overall number came down and my HDL went up so I'll splurge on beef every now and then!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the fireworks, GC.

We really lucked-out.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

SL, overall down, good up = a better ratio.

Fireworks: I spoke with my son and he told me that his fireworks were postponed until today so you did luck out. As for us, as with so much in life, it's what you make of it. It wasn't the greatest, but we had a good time anyhow.

Tonight

We're packed and ready to head to our friends' house to assemble and hang out before walking to the park. The host and hostess are in charge of the sandwiches so I'm not sure what I'll be having. We're bringing sesame crackers, my smoked cheddar cheese, beer, wine, water, and some chocolate something that my wife bought. I have no idea what others are bringing, but I'm sure it's all picnic friendly and that nobody will leave hungry.

It shouldn't be an excessively late night, which is good, because I plan on being at the gym at 9 tomorrow AM.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I was okay nutrition wise at yesterday's picnic/concert/fireworks display. I stayed away from the chips, but did have a few slices of my smoked cheddar on crackers. For dinner I had a small-ish portion of a fresh mozzarella/roasted red pepper/prosciutto sandwich. Beverage of choice was water.

I was at the gym by 9 this morning and had a strong workout.

Dinner tonight is going to be something involving shrimp. At the moment I'm thinking of marinating them in a curry flavored yogurt and then grilling. There will also be a salad served.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

I'd say that you did very well, GC!!!!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

I'd say that you did very well, GC!!!!
Thanks SL. I knew there would be a lot of chips and such so I made sure I had something at home before meeting our friends so I wasn't starving.

I should have mentioned before that the concert was a lot of fun and the fireworks and accompanying soundtrack were excellent. Even better it was all free!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Another brutal weather day and since I didn't wake up early enough running is out of the question. I will, however, get in about 4-5 miles of walking.

Dinner tonight is going to be tuna salad with noodles, a request and childhood favorite of my daughter's and perfect for a hot and humid summer day. Everything is made and sitting in the refrigerator. I'm currently cooking a boneless turkey breast on my charcoal grill that I'll slice tomorrow for sandwiches and snacks. I was on the verge of making a rye bread this afternoon, but we have enough bread in the house so I'll wait.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

The weather is brutal here, too, GC. I'm sticking to pool exercise and indoor exercise.

As always, dinner sounds great.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

The weather is brutal here, too, GC. I'm sticking to pool exercise and indoor exercise.
Those are two weather appropriate activities. It started raining here about 30 minutes ago, but the respite was short lived and things are not any more tolerable than before.

As always, dinner sounds great.
Thanks; an assist goes to my daughter for suggesting it.

This Afternoon

Exercise is seriously lacking. Grrrr, but I have no one to blame other than myself.

On a positive note I made a batch of gazpacho that is currently chilling in my refrigerator.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

I cannot walk outside on days like this; it's too hard on my lungs. Walking in the pool, though, keeps my body cool and doesn't bother my lungs even on hot days.