Notices

On My Way #4

Old 07-17-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

I admire your tenacity, GC.

Hope that your breathing greatly improves as the day goes on.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I admire your tenacity, GC.

Hope that your breathing greatly improves as the day goes on.
Thanks SL.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Typing was a little cumbersome yesterday so I'll add this today.

Yesterday morning I took another strength/stamina class. My breathing wasn't too good, but I made it through. At the very end we had a fun team building relay race and one of the legs involved running backwards. In his haste to win, someone fell and slightly jammed his wrist. Frankly, at the point when I knew I was going down I was most concerned about smacking the back of my head, but some long recessed muscle memory kicked in from my martial arts training and I rolled just enough to avoid any serious injury. I spent a lot of the day icing my wrist and giving it extra support so it. feels better than expected today. Which means I wrapped it and went to the gym, but only did exercises that wouldn't aggravate the situation. I'm icing it as I type.

As opposed to last night, dinner tonight is going to be something more attuned to the weather: cold thinly sliced grilled beef with a salad that will have an Asian bent. Currently, I'm grilling another boneless turkey breast that will be ready for slicing tomorrow.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

I am sorry about your wrist and your breathing, GC.

Have you heard anything from your insurance company about the new med?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

I am sorry about your wrist and your breathing, GC.
Thanks SL. I've been icing again this afternoon and my wrist should be fine in a few days. Fortunately it's my "off" hand, it's not a bad sprain, and I didn't hurt anything else. My breathing is actually pretty good today. More on that below.

Have you heard anything from your insurance company about the new med?
Sorry; I thought I had mentioned it. They agreed and as of last Friday they're covering the medication. It's still expensive at $300 per month so I'm going to have to take a look at my policy to see if there is any cap on out of pocket medicine expenditures. To lessen the bite I'm using $$ from a health savings account to pay. At the other end of spectrum, I had to pick up another medication at the same time and that was $1.38 for a 90 day supply. The 90 day supply is almost the same as one dose of the other drug. Crazy.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

My wrist is making fine progress so with some additional icing and wrapping today I should be good by tomorrow. I have some overall, but especially in my legs, DOMS. Nothing too bad; in an odd sense it's actually a good feeling because it reinforces that I've done "something". Exercise for the day is going to be a series of walks, most of which will be with my dog, and at least one with my daughter. I also walked about 1.5 miles this morning to meet a friend for breakfast.

Dinner tonight is going to be spiralized zucchini and yellow squash that will be topped with a sesame sauce.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

I got another walk in with my dog and daughter and then took my daughter to lunch. We dined al fresco and did both yesterday's and today's New York Times crossword puzzles. My food choice was grilled eggplant with goat cheese, roasted red peppers, and pesto on ciabatta bread. Very tasty and easy enough to recreate at home so I've made a mental note to do so. My beverage of choice was water. My daughter had a Mediterranean inspired salad: Artichoke, Kalamata olives, shaved parmesan & lemon vinaigrette on mixed greens with chicken salad on the side. Her drink of choice was some sweet iced tea concoction.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

My wrist has not responded as well as I hoped so I'm going to give it a total break and not do any lifting today and since my left knee is a little unhappy I'm reluctant to do any lower body stuff. Consequently, my exercise for the day is going to be some core work at home such as planks and crunches.

Dear daughter is having major oral surgery tomorrow and she requested matzoh ball soup as one of her post operation meals. The chicken soup is being made as I type and I'll make the balls later. For her "last meal" she opted for a childhood favorite, tuna salad mixed with cold elbow noodles. Tomorrow I'll be making mashed potatoes. Additional meals will include applesauce and ice cream.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Sorry about your injuries GC: I do empathise. For the first time in my (40-some-year old) 'career' I'm finally experiencing the first niggles… Very very small beans - minor niggles with joints, hand aches, minor concussion - yikes!!! (I box), hips ( I attempted a revisit of kickboxing past ouch). I'm evaluating tennis as a potential future option - kills me but what ya' gonna do… As you know, easy does it, baby steps and all that… hold out and keep pushing for what you know you can achieve though. For me holding back and playing smart is the new challenge ;-)

You continue to inspire me GC, those recipes, the planning AND your consistency…

Best… C
Old 07-21-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Calitano, thank you for your many kind words. Nothing serious is going on so my decision yesterday was based on me becoming more cautious as I've become older because I've recognized that there's a double edge sword in play; it's easier to get injured and it takes longer to recover. Like you, it too me along time to embrace the concept of "less is more", but I have now. To some extent.

And don't you worry; I'm going to keep pushing just as I always have although there will be some accommodations to going about things smarter. Yesterday was an example of such; no gym, but I still did about 20 minutes of exercise not including the dog walks.

Medical Update

The patient is home and resting soundly. She's still a little whacked from the anesthesia, but so far has not taken any of the pain meds. The liquid portion of the matzo ball soup is ready and the matzo balls will be ready in about 3 hours. Ingredients for milkshakes are waiting to go and mashed potatoes will be started in a few hours. I'm going to do my best to save all of the aforementioned for dear daughter; my wife and I will be having salmon burgers and a salad for dinner.

Although my wife and I are both home, so our daughter will never be alone, I think I'm going to hang around the homestead today and not go to they gym. Intellectually it doesn't make sense; she's a smart and independent young adult who spent most of her four collegiate years living away including months traveling to parts of the world that I've never been to, but she'll always be my little girl and on a day like today when she's hurting I want to physically be there for her.

Okay, enough of the sap. I'm going to wrap my wrist and do some pushups.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

I've walked a few miles today with some more to come. I'd like to make it an early evening so that I can be well rested for tomorrow's strength and stamina class. After that we're visiting friends of ours at their vacation home and while everything from conversation to eats will be great I'll be surround by chain smokers and at least a couple of alcoholics. Frankly, I mind the former more than the latter.

Dinner tonight is going to be meatloaf made with chuck and pork that I'll grind this afternoon and cook on my wood grill with a dash of mesquite. The side will be a to be decided veggie. I'm not sure what dear patient will be having; the leading contenders are mashed potatoes, apple sauce, and matzo ball soup. I have a feeling she'll be asking for a milk shake before the day is out.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I've walked a few miles today with some more to come. I'd like to make it an early evening so that I can be well rested for tomorrow's strength and stamina class. After that we're visiting friends of ours at their vacation home and while everything from conversation to eats will be great I'll be surround by chain smokers and at least a couple of alcoholics. Frankly, I mind the former more than the latter.

Dinner tonight is going to be meatloaf made with chuck and pork that I'll grind this afternoon and cook on my wood grill with a dash of mesquite. The side will be a to be decided veggie. I'm not sure what dear patient will be having; the leading contenders are mashed potatoes, apple sauce, and matzo ball soup. I have a feeling she'll be asking for a milk shake before the day is out.
I totally agree, GC; I mind the smokers more than the alcoholics as cigarette smoke has an immediate, physical impact on me.

Dinner, as always, sounds wonderful.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
My wrist has not responded as well as I hoped so I'm going to give it a total break and not do any lifting today and since my left knee is a little unhappy I'm reluctant to do any lower body stuff. Consequently, my exercise for the day is going to be some core work at home such as planks and crunches.

Dear daughter is having major oral surgery tomorrow and she requested matzoh ball soup as one of her post operation meals. The chicken soup is being made as I type and I'll make the balls later. For her "last meal" she opted for a childhood favorite, tuna salad mixed with cold elbow noodles. Tomorrow I'll be making mashed potatoes. Additional meals will include applesauce and ice cream.
Hope that your daughter heals well and quickly, GC.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

I totally agree, GC; I mind the smokers more than the alcoholics as cigarette smoke has an immediate, physical impact on me.
Yep. I'd rather deal with annoying conversation than physical issues.

Dinner, as always, sounds wonderful.
Thanks SL.

Hope that your daughter heals well and quickly, GC.
She's doing a lot better. Still sleeping more than usual, but her pain level is low enough that she's only taken prescription level ibuprofen as opposed to the oxy-something or other that she was also prescribed. There's still a little bit of swelling and she's sensitive to cold and hot, which she found out the hard way, but everything is going according to plan.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Good to hear that your daughter is doing better - wonderful!!!!
Old 07-22-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Thanks SL. One sign that she's feeling better is that she asked to go on a walk even though it's 93F/34C with a heat index of 102F/39C. Something tells me we won't be out for very long.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

It's awful here, too, GC, with worse to come over the next few days.

If your daughter still has any swelling left, frozen bags of peas, etc. work well and mold well to the face, too.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

It's awful here, too, GC, with worse to come over the next few days.

If your daughter still has any swelling left, frozen bags of peas, etc. work well and mold well to the face, too.
If we're bad, I'm sure you are also.

Thanks for the frozen veggies suggestion. We have soft moldable ice packs that does the trick, which she used yesterday. The surgeon's healing protocol calls for mild and moist heat today.

Our walk may be off; she just took half a dose of the oxy-whatever and given how it will likely make her drowsy and how bad the weather is she may be better off staying in a temperature controlled environment and resting.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

I'm going to do my best to get through a workout this morning and then my wife and I are off to see our friends until tomorrow. Breathing is difficult and being surrounded by chain smokers later today and tomorrow is not going to help.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Huffing, puffing, and sweating as I was I made it through my workout. My breathing is still uneven, more bad than good, but I never took an extra break and didn't need my emergency inhaler so that's good. Other than flopping around in our friends' pool my exercise is essentially done for the weekend as I know between the weather and the shape of our hosts and other guests even a stroll around the country side is out of the question. I hope I'm not coming across as too harsh; given that the house is in a valley, which means the day time temperatures will climb today to a heat index over 100F/38C, we're all probably better off not being too active.